FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 09.30.2014, 05:11

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon 07.09.2012, 08:56 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 7653
Donate
pit.gif
I had forgotten about this....scheduled for next Monday with the picks obtained for the June 2013 draft.

The new collective bargaining agreement calls for a competitive balance draft pick lottery beginning in 2013. 13 teams will be eligible for the first lottery based on their market size and revenue.

Teams eligible for ’13 Lottery
Arizona D-backs
Baltimore Orioles
Cleveland Indians
Kansas City Royals
Oakland Athletics
Pittsburgh Pirates
San Diego Padres
Tampa Bay Rays
Cincinnati Reds
Colorado Rockies
Miami Marlins
Milwaukee Brewers
St. Louis Cardinals

This lottery gives each of these teams the chance to win one of six extra picks in the 2013 draft, which will take place after the compensation picks for free agents. How will teams actually win these picks and what pick exactly will they get? The odds of winning a pick will be based on each team’s winning percentage in the previous season.

There will also be another group of six picks after the draft’s second round and the teams in the mix for these will be the ones that did not win a pick in the first lottery, along with any other team that receives revenue sharing.

The most interesting aspect of all of this, in my opinion, is the fact that lottery picks can be traded, but only once by a team and only during the regular season. Let’s not forget to mention that these picks cannot be sold for cash either – sorry Yankees, sorry Red Sox.

A third lottery will be held for picks forfeited by teams that exceeded their bonus pools. Teams that did not exceed their pools will be eligible, with odds based on a formula of revenue and winning percentage.

Now let me remind you, the competitive balance lottery is new and while it may not be seen as an exciting event much like the NBA draft lottery is – let’s keep in mind that it still holds a great deal of importance as these extra picks will definitely be useful to the teams that seem to need the most assistance to improve.

The first lottery will not take place until July, after the 2012 Draft signing deadline has passed though. The 10 smallest-market teams and the 10 lowest-revenue teams will be placed in the lottery to have a chance to win one of those extra six picks in 2013.

When you take a good look at the way this lottery was designed, it certainly seems like it was designed with the idea of helping small-market and low-revenue clubs gain more talent because they had a bad season, or because they may lack the financial resources to compete with the larger market or higher revenue gaining teams.

PostPosted: Mon 07.09.2012, 16:18 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 276
Donate
hou.gif
How did they make the determination these were the small market teams?

PostPosted: Mon 07.09.2012, 20:04 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 280471
Donate
den.gif
I had no idea about ths. Interesting....

PostPosted: Thu 07.19.2012, 07:23 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
Results of lottery:

Quote:
Following the Royals with supplemental first-round lottery picks will be the Pirates, Diamondbacks, Orioles, Reds and Marlins.. As of today, they would be picks Nos. 32-37, which had assigned values ranging from $1.55 million to $1,394 million this year. Those choices are significantly valuable in terms of stretching teams' signing bonus pools, which averaged $6.3 million in 2012.

There will be six competitive-balance selections after the second round as well, and those went to the Padres, Indians, Rockies, Athletics, Brewers and Tigers. As of now, the second group of picks would be Nos. 68-73, which ranged in value from $757,900 to $701,700 this year.

The Cardinals and Rays were the only eligible clubs that didn't receive a lottery selection.

The 10 teams with the lowest revenues and the 10 in the smallest markets (with plenty of overlap) were eligible for the first six lottery picks. Clubs that didn't win a pick in that group and any other team that receives revenue-sharing payments (in this case, only the Tigers) were eligible for the second round of lottery choices. The clubs' chances were weighted based on their 2011 winning percentage.

PostPosted: Fri 07.20.2012, 14:24 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 9742
Donate
kc.gif
I think we need to initiate this in SSB

PostPosted: Fri 07.20.2012, 14:36 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7783
Donate
jax.gif
10ball wrote:

You and I should have our own round. =D>

PostPosted: Fri 07.20.2012, 14:39 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
kc.gif
hankrip wrote:
10ball wrote:

You and I should have our own round. =D>

after watching my team disintegrate, I need a few rounds

PostPosted: Fri 07.20.2012, 15:04 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
It's an interesting idea.

Maybe (just tossing crap against the wall) give the bottom 4 or so teams 1 additional MLS slot for the following year vs an additional draft pick(s)....with the proviso that it can't be traded to marty. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri 07.20.2012, 15:11 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
kc.gif
jesteva wrote:
It's an interesting idea.

Maybe (just tossing crap against the wall) give the bottom 4 or so teams 1 additional MLS slot for the following year vs an additional draft pick(s)....with the proviso that it can't be traded to marty. :lol:

You know I don't trade my MLS players to marty...only my breakout MVP front runners

PostPosted: Thu 07.26.2012, 20:53 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 280471
Donate
den.gif
I'm surprised the Yankee fana aren't flipping out about this...