FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 10.25.2014, 03:47

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon 02.13.2012, 23:26 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7724
Donate
dal.gif
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/348871/as-land-cuban-yoenis-cespedes-at-4-yrs-$36m

Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the A's have signed Cuban center fielder Yoenis Cespedes.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle says the deal is worth $36 million over four years, beating the record six-year, $30.25 million contract that the Reds handed Aroldis Chapman in January 2010 by a wide margin. It's an incredibly surprising move by the supposedly cash-strapped A's. Cespedes carries great hype and has the potential to contribute at the major league level in his first year, but the A's have quite a few holes to patch before they can be considered competitive. And the "prospect" they just signed is already 26 years old. He'll make $6.5 million in 2012, $8.5 million in 2013 and $10.5 million in 2014 and 2015 before hitting the free agent market again heading into the 2016 season. The contract will be finalized in about 10 days. Cespedes has already passed a physical, an identity investigation, and a drug test.

The hell? I don't get it. They block the OF prospects the have in the minors, specifically Taylor. There must be more moves to come in terms of clearing the OF depth. I dunno. Seems like an odd move though. He goes to a god awful hitters park too so I don't see a lot of fantasy value here.

PostPosted: Tue 02.14.2012, 06:07 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 175355
Donate
dal.gif
i hate to say it....but taylor's days are numbered, and were before this move.

interesting sign by the A's. could mean that this guy is more talented than I've been giving him credit for.

still, i don't get it. doesn't fit their MO.

PostPosted: Tue 02.14.2012, 07:49 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37134
Donate
pit.gif
marty1841 wrote:
i hate to say it....but taylor's days are numbered, and were before this move.

interesting sign by the A's. could mean that this guy is more talented than I've been giving him credit for.

still, i don't get it. doesn't fit their MO.

Yeah, which makes me think there may actually be something here.. Normally I'd have thrown my money on the Fish or the Cubs to land him, but not Oakland. This has to make him the highest paid player on the roster I believe..

2012 Deep Black Dynasty Champion

PostPosted: Tue 02.14.2012, 10:15 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7929
Donate
jax.gif
Trade chip gamble ofcourse was motivation.

If he plays well, teams like Marlins with good farm system might be willing to overpay with young players for Cespedes.

If he flops, it will hurt a little.. but by MLB FA contract standards it won't be a crushing loss.

PostPosted: Tue 02.14.2012, 13:27 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37134
Donate
pit.gif
hankrip wrote:
Trade chip gamble ofcourse was motivation.

If he plays well, teams like Marlins with good farm system might be willing to overpay with young players for Cespedes.

If he flops, it will hurt a little.. but by MLB FA contract standards it won't be a crushing loss.

I could see that..

Honestly, his price will probably be too high in redrafts, but I wouldn't be upset going into the season with him in that #5 OF spot on my team. I could see a .270 avg with a 15/70 statline or somewhere about. Not terrible, and there's upside some upside. Just about minimizing the risk of where you have to draft him.

2012 Deep Black Dynasty Champion