FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 10.30.2014, 08:42

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Snake Draft
PostPosted: Thu 03.08.2012, 23:09 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3045
Donate
nyg.gif
Sorry to be this guy after being here since 2009. I never really got into fantasy baseball. It was too long and boring and I never figured it out. However, I have been asked to fill in and draft for a friend who will be manager. Is it like football where you have to move with the draft? I'm guessing it's more knowing value of players is king. Where should a guy who understand fantasy sports and baseball in general start? PM if you would like. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Snake Draft
PostPosted: Thu 03.08.2012, 23:54 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 282
Donate
hou.gif
See PM.

PostPosted: Fri 03.09.2012, 00:36 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37148
Donate
pit.gif
A couple quick things, you can PM me if you want more, but I'm sure Virro's was plenty enough:

In general, shore up your offense first. You'll be able to find a lot more pitchers that are useful on the wire than big bats (first 5 or 6 I would try and grab hitters, and depending what your league is, roto, H2H, points, that will determine what kind of guys your looking at).

Don't reach for a catcher just to fill the position. Most will go too high in drafts, and there is just too much injury risk involved with the position to warrant wasting an early pick on one. If you're looking to grab one of the top 8 or so, I'd probably suggest Wieters to have the most value in terms of ADP.

Don't draft closers early either.. Grab at least 3 with jobs to start the season, and watch the waiver wire throughout the season. There will be plenty of oppurtunities to pick up cheap saves along the way. (Well, since you're not managing the team, this is out of your control, but your thought's good)

Try and grab an elite SS if you can.. That position's very top heavy.. you don't want to be the last guy with this position open.

2012 Deep Black Dynasty Champion

PostPosted: Fri 03.09.2012, 08:10 

Sand$: 99426
Donate
Check the Baseball Sharks homepage later today for tips on round #1, more to follow...

PostPosted: Sat 03.10.2012, 13:36 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37722
Donate
chi.gif
I'll assume this is a roto league, so I'll offer a few very general tips for that.

1. Early rounds are for sure things. You want proven players with high ceilings AND high floors. Pujols, Cabrera, Braun, Longoria, Holliday, Gonzalez.... don't be the guy reaching in the 3rd round for Brett Lawrie (there will be one in a lot of leagues).

2. there are a lot of great pitchers available, and you need a few of them, but you don't need them first. I love Halladay, Verlander, Kershaw, Lee... but you can ignore them in the first three rounds and get a Dan Haren, Zack Greinke, David Price or Matt Cain a little later with a very small difference in production. But the drop off from Ian Kinsler to the #6 2B, or Adrian Gonzalez to the #8 1B could be much bigger.

3. You don't want category killers. Adam Dunn, Mark Reynolds, Chris Young... these guys provide value in a couple categories, but can destroy batting average. That can be overcome with careful planning, but for someone with no experience, it's best to avoid the problem altogether. The same is true for pitchers like Chad Billingsley or John Sanchez, who can post good K totals, but walk a ton of guys and will be a WHIP handicap all year.

4. late picks and bench spots are for lottery tickets. in the last couple rounds, you don't want a Mark Buerhle or Aaron Harang, a guy who might be an average 4th or 5th starter. Guys like that are available on the wire all season. You want guys like Johan Santana (who's going undrafted in a lot of leagues), Francisco Liriano, Trevor Bauer, Juan Nicasio, etc. - i.e., guys who have the potential for greatness, even if it's not probable.

Happy to try to answer any more specific questions along the way, too. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu 03.22.2012, 00:23 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3045
Donate
nyg.gif
Thanks again sharks! I landed co-owned of the team as of now. 10 Team H2H League - (AVG) (HR) (R) (RBI) (SB) - (ERA)(K)(WHIP)*(W)(SV)*Minimum 1 IP. Up to 5 players from rounds 3 on can be kept at the cost of a pick 2 rounds before they were chosen in the previous draft, i.e. a 5th round pick can be kept for giving up a 3rd next year.

Catcher (C) 1
First Base (1B) 1
Second Base (2B) 1
Third Base (3B) 1
Shortstop (SS) 1
Outfield (OF) 3
Utility (UTIL) 1
Pitcher (P) 6
Bench (BE) 7
DL 2

Sooooo the draft was at 8:00 right as work ends. I had to have my girl log in and start the draft while I was on the phone telling her the picks. She likes baseball but has no clue about fantasy and has made a fantasy team of the hottest players at each position (PM for roster!!! :shock: ). At pick 5 I panicked which left 6 on auto pick and I was at the comp at 7. Anyway...the rooster...

7 Joey Votto, Cin 1B
14 Evan Longoria, TB 3B
27 Andrew McCutchen, Pit OF
34 Matt Holliday, StL OF
47 Dan Uggla, Atl 2B
54 Michael Bourn, Atl OF
67 Yovani Gallardo, Mil SP
74 Alex Rodriguez, NYY 3B
87 Ian Kennedy, Ari SP
94 Joe Mauer, Min C
107 Daniel Hudson, Ari SP
114 Jayson Werth, Wsh OF
127 Jordan Zimmermann, Wsh SP
134 Carlos Marmol, ChC RP
147 Joakim Soria, KC RP
154 Chris Sale, CWS RP
167 Max Scherzer, Det SP
174 Neftali Feliz, Tex RP
187 Ian Desmond, Wsh SS
194 Francisco Liriano, Min SP
207 Juan Nicasio, Col SP
214 Trevor Bauer, Ari SP

Started nice, got crappy, ended well. No clue Soria was hurt that bad... Any feedback is appreciated. wth am I going to do about saves?

PostPosted: Thu 03.22.2012, 16:43 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37722
Donate
chi.gif
very solid team.

Don't worry too much about saves in H2H leagues.
You can lose saves every week and still win the week.
I like the pitching staff you put together, and you've got a lot of excellent bats, with SS as the only weak spot.

Right now, this team looks like a legitimate contender.