FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 04.19.2014, 05:48

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun 04.08.2012, 08:38 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37320
Donate
chi.gif
There was a short retarded article on Yahoo! about Yoenis Cespedes breaking the "unwritten rules," and Jason Vargas being pissy about it, by watching the rocket he hit for a couple seconds before rounding the bases.

And this reminded me how stupid the unwritten rules are.
Some of the rules the irritate me the most:

Don't bunt during a no-hitter. Really? The pitcher's potentially historic game is more important than getting on base and scoring runs? No. frig You. If your team can't field a bunt, you don't deserve a no-hitter.

Don't steal bases when you're way ahead. Every team has seen an 8 or 9 run inning at some point. Teams (specifically, managers) shouldn't get crappy about opponents that steal bases in the 8th or 9th inning with a big lead.

Don't watch a HR. Don't like it when Big Papi flips his bat and pauses to watch his bomb sail into the right field bleachers? Don't throw him a high fastball over the middle of the plate.

which ones do you hate the most?

PostPosted: Sun 04.08.2012, 09:12 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1381
Donate
gb.gif
hard 10 wrote:
There was a short retarded article on Yahoo! about Yoenis Cespedes breaking the "unwritten rules," and Jason Vargas being pissy about it, by watching the rocket he hit for a couple seconds before rounding the bases.

And this reminded me how stupid the unwritten rules are.
Some of the rules the irritate me the most:

Don't bunt during a no-hitter. Really? The pitcher's potentially historic game is more important than getting on base and scoring runs? No. frig You. If your team can't field a bunt, you don't deserve a no-hitter.

Don't steal bases when you're way ahead. Every team has seen an 8 or 9 run inning at some point. Teams (specifically, managers) shouldn't get crappy about opponents that steal bases in the 8th or 9th inning with a big lead.

Don't watch a HR. Don't like it when Big Papi flips his bat and pauses to watch his bomb sail into the right field bleachers? Don't throw him a high fastball over the middle of the plate.

which ones do you hate the most?

I agree with all of this. You don't like what's happening to you? Stop it.

Can't? Guess what, there's no crying in baseball.

PostPosted: Sun 04.08.2012, 15:40 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 188
Donate
hou.gif
I mean... Cespedes CRUSHED that ball. I don't really think you can say he truly showed up Vargas, even though you could see from Vargas' body language he wasn't happy with the situation...

I think one of the silliest is how teams deal with intentionally hitting players to even a running score somewhere... all the tiptoeing around what's obviously happening and MLB turning a blind eye to it at times.

PostPosted: Sun 04.08.2012, 21:12 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8077
Donate
jax.gif
Virro wrote:
I think one of the silliest is how teams deal with intentionally hitting players to even a running score somewhere... all the tiptoeing around what's obviously happening and MLB turning a blind eye to it at times.

I have no problem with this. Checks and balances. I would hate to see this part of the game go away. ( of course I mean hitting someone the right way and not headhunting)

Even though I am AL guy and don't like watching pitchers hit, at least in NL they have to face the music for past beanings.

PostPosted: Mon 04.09.2012, 17:06 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 22033
Donate
ne.gif
hankrip wrote:
Virro wrote:

I have no problem with this. Checks and balances. I would hate to see this part of the game go away. ( of course I mean hitting someone the right way and not headhunting)

Even though I am AL guy and don't like watching pitchers hit, at least in NL they have to face the music for past beanings.

I agree. ON both counts.

PostPosted: Mon 04.09.2012, 21:04 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 188
Donate
hou.gif
hankrip wrote:
Virro wrote:

I meant that I don't like the absurdity of it all... the coaches clearly lying... it's so boring. Just come out and say you drilled a guy to send a message... far more entertaining. I LOVE seeing a player get beaned, because of retribution from something earlier.

PostPosted: Tue 04.10.2012, 13:06 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 1140
Donate
pit.gif
I played baseball for a good while, even was scouted by MLB clubs. To me, the Unwritten Rules are more of a respect of the game and your fellow players.

1. Never...NEVER admire your HR shot or BUNT for a base hit to break up a NO HITTER. The more you do this, the higher the percentage you will get drilled in the side or head with a fastball.

2. If you are a fielder for your pitcher and he's throwing a No-No...DO NOT TALK TO HIM...AT ALL!!!

3. Stealing bases, hitting and running, or bunting over a player with a 8 or more run lead IS VERY DISRESPECTFUL! You already are showing that you are dominating the game.

4. If you want to throw down with the pitcher, use your fists, not a batting helmet or bat.

5. The pitchers mound is just that, THE PITCHER'S MOUND! If you are out, DO NOT WALK ON IT on your way to the dugout.

PostPosted: Tue 04.10.2012, 13:45 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37320
Donate
chi.gif
CBecker1985 wrote:
I played baseball for a good while, even was scouted by MLB clubs. To me, the Unwritten Rules are more of a respect of the game and your fellow players.

1. Never...NEVER admire your HR shot or BUNT for a base hit to break up a NO HITTER. The more you do this, the higher the percentage you will get drilled in the side or head with a fastball.

bullpoop.
a bunt's a hit and a baserunner. Your potential no-hitter is never going to be more important than my potential win.

That's always been the one that irritates me the most.

And pitchers who regularly try to test the strength of batting helmets don't last long.

PostPosted: Tue 04.10.2012, 16:32 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 28492
Donate
Location: Don't let the name change fool you. Still a Vikes fan for life!
min.gif
hard 10 wrote:
CBecker1985 wrote:

bullpoop.
a bunt's a hit and a baserunner. Your potential no-hitter is never going to be more important than my potential win.

That's always been the one that irritates me the most.

And pitchers who regularly try to test the strength of batting helmets don't last long.

Totally agree. If you haven't got a hit all game, and you have a speedy guy at the plate, why not try to lay a bunt down to get on base? Might light a spark and get some momentum going.

Even on the surface that idea is ludicrous: "Hey, can you alter your play to make it easier for me to win?"

No hitters should not be just handed out. Don't want me to bunt to break up your no hitter? Bring your third baseman in on the grass, and let me slap one past him and I'll break it up that way. That's baseball.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks

PostPosted: Sat 04.14.2012, 15:34 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 23302
Donate
sf.gif
CBecker1985 wrote:

2. If you are a fielder for your pitcher and he's throwing a No-No...DO NOT TALK TO HIM...AT ALL!!!

3. Stealing bases, hitting and running, or bunting over a player with a 8 or more run lead IS VERY DISRESPECTFUL! You already are showing that you are dominating the game.

4. If you want to throw down with the pitcher, use your fists, not a batting helmet or bat.

5. The pitchers mound is just that, THE PITCHER'S MOUND! If you are out, DO NOT WALK ON IT on your way to the dugout.

Stupidest "rules" ever. You play the game to win. Period.