FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 04.19.2014, 05:48

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 04.08.2012, 08:38 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Tue 08.26.2003, 13:03
Posts: 14476
Sand$: 37320
Donate
Location: At the bar, getting a Bell's Amber Ale
chi.gif
There was a short retarded article on Yahoo! about Yoenis Cespedes breaking the "unwritten rules," and Jason Vargas being pissy about it, by watching the rocket he hit for a couple seconds before rounding the bases.

And this reminded me how stupid the unwritten rules are.
Some of the rules the irritate me the most:

Don't bunt during a no-hitter. Really? The pitcher's potentially historic game is more important than getting on base and scoring runs? No. frig You. If your team can't field a bunt, you don't deserve a no-hitter.

Don't steal bases when you're way ahead. Every team has seen an 8 or 9 run inning at some point. Teams (specifically, managers) shouldn't get crappy about opponents that steal bases in the 8th or 9th inning with a big lead.

Don't watch a HR. Don't like it when Big Papi flips his bat and pauses to watch his bomb sail into the right field bleachers? Don't throw him a high fastball over the middle of the plate.

which ones do you hate the most?

_________________
"If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."
-Mike McD, Rounders


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 04.08.2012, 09:12 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Wed 10.18.2006, 14:09
Posts: 5305
Sand$: 1381
Donate
Location: The Great Northwest
gb.gif
hard 10 wrote:
There was a short retarded article on Yahoo! about Yoenis Cespedes breaking the "unwritten rules," and Jason Vargas being pissy about it, by watching the rocket he hit for a couple seconds before rounding the bases.

And this reminded me how stupid the unwritten rules are.
Some of the rules the irritate me the most:

Don't bunt during a no-hitter. Really? The pitcher's potentially historic game is more important than getting on base and scoring runs? No. frig You. If your team can't field a bunt, you don't deserve a no-hitter.

Don't steal bases when you're way ahead. Every team has seen an 8 or 9 run inning at some point. Teams (specifically, managers) shouldn't get crappy about opponents that steal bases in the 8th or 9th inning with a big lead.

Don't watch a HR. Don't like it when Big Papi flips his bat and pauses to watch his bomb sail into the right field bleachers? Don't throw him a high fastball over the middle of the plate.

which ones do you hate the most?


I agree with all of this. You don't like what's happening to you? Stop it.

Can't? Guess what, there's no crying in baseball.

_________________
I have a gambling problem. I never win.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 04.08.2012, 15:40 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Wed 09.12.2007, 10:07
Posts: 3689
Sand$: 188
Donate
Location: Houston
hou.gif
I mean... Cespedes CRUSHED that ball. I don't really think you can say he truly showed up Vargas, even though you could see from Vargas' body language he wasn't happy with the situation...

I think one of the silliest is how teams deal with intentionally hitting players to even a running score somewhere... all the tiptoeing around what's obviously happening and MLB turning a blind eye to it at times.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 04.08.2012, 21:12 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Fri 11.12.2004, 09:36
Posts: 7645
Sand$: 8077
Donate
jax.gif
Virro wrote:
I think one of the silliest is how teams deal with intentionally hitting players to even a running score somewhere... all the tiptoeing around what's obviously happening and MLB turning a blind eye to it at times.



I have no problem with this. Checks and balances. I would hate to see this part of the game go away. ( of course I mean hitting someone the right way and not headhunting)

Even though I am AL guy and don't like watching pitchers hit, at least in NL they have to face the music for past beanings.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 04.09.2012, 17:06 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Thu 07.21.2005, 13:44
Posts: 14676
Sand$: 22033
Donate
Location: North O' Boston
ne.gif
hankrip wrote:
Virro wrote:
I think one of the silliest is how teams deal with intentionally hitting players to even a running score somewhere... all the tiptoeing around what's obviously happening and MLB turning a blind eye to it at times.



I have no problem with this. Checks and balances. I would hate to see this part of the game go away. ( of course I mean hitting someone the right way and not headhunting)

Even though I am AL guy and don't like watching pitchers hit, at least in NL they have to face the music for past beanings.



I agree. ON both counts.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 04.09.2012, 21:04 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Wed 09.12.2007, 10:07
Posts: 3689
Sand$: 188
Donate
Location: Houston
hou.gif
hankrip wrote:
Virro wrote:
I think one of the silliest is how teams deal with intentionally hitting players to even a running score somewhere... all the tiptoeing around what's obviously happening and MLB turning a blind eye to it at times.



I have no problem with this. Checks and balances. I would hate to see this part of the game go away. ( of course I mean hitting someone the right way and not headhunting)

Even though I am AL guy and don't like watching pitchers hit, at least in NL they have to face the music for past beanings.


I meant that I don't like the absurdity of it all... the coaches clearly lying... it's so boring. Just come out and say you drilled a guy to send a message... far more entertaining. I LOVE seeing a player get beaned, because of retribution from something earlier.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 04.10.2012, 13:06 
Offline
Tiger Shark
User avatar

Joined: Mon 01.23.2012, 22:20
Posts: 236
Sand$: 1140
Donate
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
pit.gif
I played baseball for a good while, even was scouted by MLB clubs. To me, the Unwritten Rules are more of a respect of the game and your fellow players.

1. Never...NEVER admire your HR shot or BUNT for a base hit to break up a NO HITTER. The more you do this, the higher the percentage you will get drilled in the side or head with a fastball.

2. If you are a fielder for your pitcher and he's throwing a No-No...DO NOT TALK TO HIM...AT ALL!!!

3. Stealing bases, hitting and running, or bunting over a player with a 8 or more run lead IS VERY DISRESPECTFUL! You already are showing that you are dominating the game.

4. If you want to throw down with the pitcher, use your fists, not a batting helmet or bat.

5. The pitchers mound is just that, THE PITCHER'S MOUND! If you are out, DO NOT WALK ON IT on your way to the dugout.

_________________
Sometimes the "Best Deals" are ones that are not made at all...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 04.10.2012, 13:45 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Tue 08.26.2003, 13:03
Posts: 14476
Sand$: 37320
Donate
Location: At the bar, getting a Bell's Amber Ale
chi.gif
CBecker1985 wrote:
I played baseball for a good while, even was scouted by MLB clubs. To me, the Unwritten Rules are more of a respect of the game and your fellow players.

1. Never...NEVER admire your HR shot or BUNT for a base hit to break up a NO HITTER. The more you do this, the higher the percentage you will get drilled in the side or head with a fastball.

bullpoop.
a bunt's a hit and a baserunner. Your potential no-hitter is never going to be more important than my potential win.

That's always been the one that irritates me the most.

And pitchers who regularly try to test the strength of batting helmets don't last long.

_________________
"If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."
-Mike McD, Rounders


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 04.10.2012, 16:32 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Sun 11.06.2005, 18:27
Posts: 18060
Sand$: 28492
Donate
Location: Don't let the name change fool you. Still a Vikes fan for life!
min.gif
hard 10 wrote:
CBecker1985 wrote:
I played baseball for a good while, even was scouted by MLB clubs. To me, the Unwritten Rules are more of a respect of the game and your fellow players.

1. Never...NEVER admire your HR shot or BUNT for a base hit to break up a NO HITTER. The more you do this, the higher the percentage you will get drilled in the side or head with a fastball.

bullpoop.
a bunt's a hit and a baserunner. Your potential no-hitter is never going to be more important than my potential win.

That's always been the one that irritates me the most.

And pitchers who regularly try to test the strength of batting helmets don't last long.

Totally agree. If you haven't got a hit all game, and you have a speedy guy at the plate, why not try to lay a bunt down to get on base? Might light a spark and get some momentum going.

Even on the surface that idea is ludicrous: "Hey, can you alter your play to make it easier for me to win?"

No hitters should not be just handed out. Don't want me to bunt to break up your no hitter? Bring your third baseman in on the grass, and let me slap one past him and I'll break it up that way. That's baseball.

_________________
University of Minnesota Golden Gophers

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 04.14.2012, 15:34 
Offline
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Thu 10.14.2004, 10:30
Posts: 26025
Sand$: 23302
Donate
Location: Buffalo: So Close to Canada, So Far From God
sf.gif
CBecker1985 wrote:
I played baseball for a good while, even was scouted by MLB clubs. To me, the Unwritten Rules are more of a respect of the game and your fellow players.

1. Never...NEVER admire your HR shot or BUNT for a base hit to break up a NO HITTER. The more you do this, the higher the percentage you will get drilled in the side or head with a fastball.

2. If you are a fielder for your pitcher and he's throwing a No-No...DO NOT TALK TO HIM...AT ALL!!!

3. Stealing bases, hitting and running, or bunting over a player with a 8 or more run lead IS VERY DISRESPECTFUL! You already are showing that you are dominating the game.

4. If you want to throw down with the pitcher, use your fists, not a batting helmet or bat.

5. The pitchers mound is just that, THE PITCHER'S MOUND! If you are out, DO NOT WALK ON IT on your way to the dugout.


Stupidest "rules" ever. You play the game to win. Period.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group