FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 09.02.2014, 06:39

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2011, 22:21 

Sand$: 96191
Donate
FutBol wrote:
Before getting too caught up in him having only two catches, take a look at the total game. Hasselbeck only completed 10 in the game, and no more than two to any player. They were up 21-6 at halftime, and 31-6 as of the end of Q3.

While correct, Cook still wasn't a big part of the game. In fact, I really don't think he was on the field that much. The Browns were lost on defense and a guy that cannot cover Cook (Fujita) got stuck with him, Hass just exploited the mismatch and then Usama Young just plainw whiffed. Kudos to those who started him, but this performance was not a reason to expect more of the same. He's in the same conversation as TE's like Evan Moore that arguably should be on the field more, but are not. Ok, Moore's not an argument, he just should be, but you get my point.

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2011, 23:38 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1183
Donate
I just wanted to point out what I noticed.....

This game was by far the least amount of passes attempted by Ten.... 20

There were only 10 Receptions (two of which were by Cook)

Cook was targeted on 6 of the passes.... 30% of the time.

I didnt get to see the game, so I dont know if they were drops or poor throws, but I am glad to see Cook is getting looks.

I like what I did see from Cook and am growing confidence in him. I might start him this week due to byes...

just my .02

PostPosted: Tue 10.04.2011, 16:15 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37472
Donate
chi.gif
hmm.... I'm going to have to read some of these comments again.
It sounds like some of the anti-Cook arguments are suggesting the fact that he's a TE who's fast enough to outrun DB's for 80 yards is NOT a reason to like him.

Also, do you care that he's not in for as many plays as some other TEs? Or do you care that he was the target on 30% of his team's pass plays this week?

Maybe the long TD catch will be the lone highlight of his season. Or maybe the fact that he saw a bump in targets after everyone spent the week wondering who would step up to replace Britt is a sign of things to come.

Either way, there seems to be a lot of hate for a guy who is available for free in a ton of leagues right now.
He's certainly not a sure thing, but he's a decent lottery ticket for teams waiting for Gates or Hernandez to get healthy or for Dallas Clark to get a QB who doesn't suck.

PostPosted: Tue 10.04.2011, 20:48 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6809
Donate
cin.gif
hard 10 wrote:
It sounds like some of the anti-Cook arguments are suggesting the fact that he's a TE who's fast enough to outrun DB's for 80 yards is NOT a reason to like him.

Also, do you care that he's not in for as many plays as some other TEs? Or do you care that he was the target on 30% of his team's pass plays this week?

Maybe the long TD catch will be the lone highlight of his season. Or maybe the fact that he saw a bump in targets after everyone spent the week wondering who would step up to replace Britt is a sign of things to come.

After watching this game, I don't see Cook as a lottery ticket anymore. I think he's a low ceiling, decent TE2.

FWIW, he was on the field for most passing situations, so I'm not bothered by that (apart from the obvious TD that went to Stevens). But his long catch looked awful flukey to me. He's fast, but not fast enough to blow by everyone (it looked like the db took a bad angle to push him out of bounds). He also doesn't look all that fast off of the line. Futhermore, his route running looks a little raw.

I no longer believe he is loaded with ability and just can't catch the coache's/qb's eye--as of right now, he's in a good situation for decent but uninspiring production.

PostPosted: Tue 10.04.2011, 22:56 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1533
Donate
sf.gif
If Cleveland had tackled him, you wouldn't even be looking at this.

PostPosted: Tue 10.04.2011, 23:11 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 34170
Donate
car.gif
neal123454 wrote:
hard 10 wrote:

After watching this game, I don't see Cook as a lottery ticket anymore. I think he's a low ceiling, decent TE2.

FWIW, he was on the field for most passing situations, so I'm not bothered by that (apart from the obvious TD that went to Stevens). But his long catch looked awful flukey to me. He's fast, but not fast enough to blow by everyone (it looked like the db took a bad angle to push him out of bounds). He also doesn't look all that fast off of the line. Futhermore, his route running looks a little raw.

I no longer believe he is loaded with ability and just can't catch the coache's/qb's eye--as of right now, he's in a good situation for decent but uninspiring production.

Trust me, dude is fast. Ran below 4.5 while in school, unqualified 4.35, allegedly. You are right that route running is not a strength, but physically he's got as good a skill set as any TE in the league.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Tue 10.04.2011, 23:49 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
cin.gif
pwbowen wrote:
Trust me, dude is fast. Ran below 4.5 while in school, unqualified 4.35, allegedly. You are right that route running is not a strength, but physically he's got as good a skill set as any TE in the league.

I believe he's fast. I just don't believe he's fast enough to make up for his shortcomings. Same goes for any football player.

PostPosted: Wed 10.05.2011, 00:17 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 2000
Donate
phi.gif
fuzznutts wrote:
csbwsp79 wrote:
2 catches... :stupid:

On the Browns no less. Their only talent on Defense was all over Wahington, and Cook only had 2 catches? abort abort. better TE options out there

Wasn't Joe Haden on him? Isn't he a shut-down corner?

For me, it's not about the long td grab or only getting 2 catches. It's the targets. he was targeted 30% of the time. And I can be fairly sure TEN will be throwing more than 20 times a game. So far, Hasselbeck has averaged 33 attempts a game (37 before wk 4). At those rates, Cook would expect to see either 10 or 11 targets a game. So far, Cook has converted 54% of targets (64% last year). Also at those rates, that is 5-6 catches a game at 2011 rates or 6-7 catches at 2010 rates. A career avg of 13.0 a catch yields a 5-65 to 7-90 line given those ranges.

Just food for thought.

PostPosted: Wed 10.05.2011, 00:33 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
cin.gif
FantasyTom wrote:
Wasn't Joe Haden on him? Isn't he a shut-down corner?

For me, it's not about the long td grab or only getting 2 catches. It's the targets. he was targeted 30% of the time. And I can be fairly sure TEN will be throwing more than 20 times a game. So far, Hasselbeck has averaged 33 attempts a game (37 before wk 4). At those rates, Cook would expect to see either 10 or 11 targets a game. So far, Cook has converted 54% of targets (64% last year). Also at those rates, that is 5-6 catches a game at 2011 rates or 6-7 catches at 2010 rates. A career avg of 13.0 a catch yields a 5-65 to 7-90 line given those ranges.

No, Haden wasn't on him. IIRC, he was mostly on Washington and in and out of the game with a knee sprain. It would be logical to postulate that Cook saw a bump in targets based on a game plan away from Haden.

PostPosted: Wed 10.05.2011, 07:05 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1587
Donate
was.gif
Would you guys drop Gresham for him?

RB: J.Charles, M.Forte, Knile Davis, M.Bush
TE: J.Cameron, L.Green
K: Crosby
DEF: Chiefs, Eagles

9-4

PostPosted: Wed 10.05.2011, 08:08 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 5184
Donate
dal.gif
apickmans wrote:
Would you guys drop Gresham for him?

No.

12 teamer
Foles/Lacy/Gore/Nelson/Cobb/Cruz/Pitta/Tucker/SEA

14 teamer
Palmer/Jennings/Rice/Julio/Colston/Wayne/Jimmy/Gronk/Bailey/AZ

PostPosted: Wed 10.05.2011, 08:25 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 53569
Donate
I did the ole pickup off the WW just to block another owner from getting Cook this week. Can't wait for the phone call calling me a azzhole.

PostPosted: Sat 10.08.2011, 23:37 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 2000
Donate
phi.gif
neal123454 wrote:

No, Haden wasn't on him. IIRC, he was mostly on Washington and in and out of the game with a knee sprain. It would be logical to postulate that Cook saw a bump in targets based on a game plan away from Haden.

Good point, the 30% of targets could have been skewed. I do think this game is a true indication of what to expect going forward however..will be watching the updates intently.

PostPosted: Tue 10.18.2011, 16:49 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 1732
Donate
ne.gif
FantasyTom wrote:
neal123454 wrote:

Good point, the 30% of targets could have been skewed. I do think this game is a true indication of what to expect going forward however..will be watching the updates intently.

anyone still foaming at the mouth for Cook? I'm sure I'm not alone with the bye week blues

PostPosted: Tue 10.25.2011, 10:08 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 570
Donate
sadly all i have at tight end is cook and ben watson, which of those two would u drop for gresham???

Wr: VJax, Bowe, J Gordon, A Roberts
Te: Cameron
K: Sturgis
DST: SF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next