FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Mon 11.24.2014, 16:29

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 07.18.2008, 10:00 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 79209
Donate
HurricaneNamedDitka wrote:
its getting there....i use ubuntu at work....i like it...

I thought this was a joke about the Boston Celtics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 07.18.2008, 10:06 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 28112
Donate
chi.gif
cclouis wrote:
The only guy I know who uses Linux is a pretentious computer snob who thinks he knows more than you if a computer is involved. I think most of the Linux users are the same. They bad mouth windows, justifiably in many cases, and talk up the joy's of running Linux instead.

Yet they spend all their free time tweaking and programming and changing things etc. I've had very few problems with Windows. Linux is for people who like to program operating systems as a hobby, not for people who just want to check their freaking e-mail and play command and conquer: Red alert

Thats my take, and the Lego/hotwheels analogy is about perfect.

I'm old enough to remember when the company I was at was moving from the IBM mainframe to server-based PCs, and the whining and blustering out of the mainframe people was unbelievable.

One mainframe guy in a meeting actually said, "None of you know enough about this to understand what a mistake you're making." So he was pretty much immediately fired, and three months later we all had PCs on our desks, and life was never better.

So from that experience, I've learned that what works for the experts doesn't always work for the masses. I'm sure Linux has strong advantages for a select group of users, but I've already got something that works, don't tell me I'm dumb because I can't see how brilliant Linux is. Same for all those Vista whiners - Vista works just fine for me, stop telling me I'm a dummy because I can't see how superior XP is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 07.18.2008, 10:08 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 14381
Donate
CleffedUp wrote:
That said, I wish the WINE people (if they're still around) would put together an MS Intermediate Language (.NET assembly) VM.
I'm wondering if WINE (they are still around) or Mono (real .NET in Linux) will eventually bring .NET to Linux.

¸„ø¤ „ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¨°º¤

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 07.18.2008, 10:46 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 121212
Donate
sf.gif
hemol wrote:
CleffedUp wrote:
That said, I wish the WINE people (if they're still around) would put together an MS Intermediate Language (.NET assembly) VM.
I'm wondering if WINE (they are still around) or Mono (real .NET in Linux) will eventually bring .NET to Linux.

I really think that would be a coup for Linux, but I'm pretty sure your mainstream apps (like Office) are still unmanaged, and I question how sustainable a "community-driven" project would be. .NET has been on a relatively aggressive release schedule, while MS thrives on platform dominance. The Linux side will lose an API cat-and-mouse game (anything you can replicate, I can deprecate and screw you), and I'm not sure whether the total loss in OS sales and what goes with this would be recouped by having another platform for .NET apps and everything that goes with that (MSDN-L? L#?). Then, in the best case, Microsoft jumps on board, and you have .NET for Un*x, and Sun, Macromedia, et al make their way to the Supreme Court.

That said, .NET delivers the failed Java promise, and I hope against hope to see it work out somehow.

Links: nfl, fantasy football, and fantasy football myths

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 07.18.2008, 12:28 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 24287
Donate
atl.gif
BuckeyeFtblGod wrote:
TheNewGuy wrote:
Thanks for the feedback...

For me, this would just be to satisfy my curiosity and learn something outside of Windows. Maybe I'll even appreciate MS more.

One of the guys I work with came in and first thing he did when he started was take the computer we gave him and install Linux.
I had the pleasure a couple weeks ago of needing to use his computer since he was on vacation and it took forever to burn some drivers to a damn CD, just because I wasn't familiar at all with the menus, commands, etc.
So that's kinda where all this started.

I did prefer Legos when I was younger, but I have no desire to be labeled 'pretentious computer snob'.

Otherwise, I'd just go buy a Mac.

That's f'n hilarious...

Well if your going to make the plunge, let me know if you need any help... Ubuntu is the flavor that seems to be easiest these days...

Thanks BFG, I'll definitely PM you before I start throwing stuff. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 07.18.2008, 12:48 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 121212
Donate
sf.gif
TheNewGuy wrote:
BuckeyeFtblGod wrote:
TheNewGuy wrote:
Thanks for the feedback...

For me, this would just be to satisfy my curiosity and learn something outside of Windows. Maybe I'll even appreciate MS more.

One of the guys I work with came in and first thing he did when he started was take the computer we gave him and install Linux.
I had the pleasure a couple weeks ago of needing to use his computer since he was on vacation and it took forever to burn some drivers to a damn CD, just because I wasn't familiar at all with the menus, commands, etc.
So that's kinda where all this started.

I did prefer Legos when I was younger, but I have no desire to be labeled 'pretentious computer snob'.

Otherwise, I'd just go buy a Mac.

That's f'n hilarious...

Well if your going to make the plunge, let me know if you need any help... Ubuntu is the flavor that seems to be easiest these days...

Thanks BFG, I'll definitely PM you before I start throwing stuff. :D

Hear that, Buck? He's going to throw you his exceptions. Hee hee.

Links: nfl, fantasy football, and fantasy football myths

Post subject: Re: Anybody using Linux?
PostPosted: Wed 10.27.2010, 21:13 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18672
Donate
atl.gif
I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat on a Dell Inspirion Mini.

I know this is completely geeky, but IT IS AWESOME!!! I will be upgrading the OS on every PC in the house this weekend!

BEST UBUNTU RELEASE EVAH!!!!

Anyone else installed it yet?

PostPosted: Wed 10.27.2010, 21:24 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8504
Donate
det.gif
Crackhead Bob wrote:

I know this is completely geeky, but IT IS AWESOME!!! I will be upgrading the OS on every PC in the house this weekend!

No, but i'm going to now.

PostPosted: Wed 10.27.2010, 22:21 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 60827
Donate
c2o wrote:
Crackhead Bob wrote:

After reading this thread again from the bump, I'm going to ask my bud if he has the latest UBUNTU release and give it a go.

PostPosted: Wed 10.27.2010, 22:27 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8504
Donate
det.gif
WHO wrote:
c2o wrote:
Crackhead Bob wrote:

After reading this thread again from the bump, I'm going to ask my bud if he has the latest UBUNTU release and give it a go.

I started using UBUNTU after I got the Stank virus last May. It's awesome.

PostPosted: Thu 10.28.2010, 12:18 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
atl.gif
It is a great OS if you can break away from the Windows frame of mind. One thing I suggest for Windows User converts is loading the Medibuntu Repositories. Easy to do from the command line interface. Check it out here

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-distributi ... ck-meerkat

I'm loving 10.10 so far.

PostPosted: Thu 10.28.2010, 13:28 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 60827
Donate
My Linux point of contact sent back an email on my inquiry on UBUNTU. I haven't checked out his recommendation personally but I can tell you this guy is strong on Linux. He loves to dabble. I'm more interested in the keeping the approach fresh and kinda want to see what this is all about. Here's his reply:

An even better way to play with Ubuntu is use Linux Mint. It's a separate distro based on Ubuntu but even more user friendly. Check Distrowatch. The version based on the latest Ubuntu should be out shortly. Nothing wrong with just using Ubuntu though. Very beginner friendly and has a huge help forum.

I don't know when I'll be able to get to it, hopefully sometime in the next two weeks as a fun side project.

PostPosted: Sat 10.30.2010, 11:39 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 1732
Donate
ne.gif
Been using Linux for the past year after my windows laptop crashed and burned do to ongoing virus issues. I absolutely love it and and will not look back. It's stable and virtually adware/virus free. Oh, and it's free as in free speech AND free beer. Free.

PostPosted: Sat 10.30.2010, 11:49 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
atl.gif
Free is good!
BestBuy told my daughters friend that her hard drive was fried and they would have to replace it. And they would not be able to recover any of her data. Wanted to charge her 350 bucks to get it back running. I don't even think she paid that much for it!

I used the Ubuntu trial from a jump drive and recovered every file she wanted and Ubuntu ran fine after installed on the "fried" hard drive.

I find it amusing that BestBuy uses flaws in Windows to rip people off.

I'll never use Windows again if I do not have to. Some companies force their users to use Windows so that'll be the only reason I ever go back

PostPosted: Sat 10.30.2010, 12:50 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 335162
Donate
sf.gif
Crackhead Bob wrote:
Free is good!
BestBuy told my daughters friend that her hard drive was fried and they would have to replace it. And they would not be able to recover any of her data. Wanted to charge her 350 bucks to get it back running. I don't even think she paid that much for it!

I used the Ubuntu trial from a jump drive and recovered every file she wanted and Ubuntu ran fine after installed on the "fried" hard drive.

I find it amusing that BestBuy uses flaws in Windows to rip people off.

I'll never use Windows again if I do not have to. Some companies force their users to use Windows so that'll be the only reason I ever go back

I use all three but I still think OSX is the best of both worlds.

And yes, it's a real shame how many people get ripped off by the Geek Squad and other similar companies.