FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Fri 03.27.2015, 20:45

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 08:58 
Honorary Mod (powerless)

buf.gif
Im looking to find a great book this weekend, and I wanted to see if there were any recommendations from the tank. Im really looking for those great reads that dont come around too often.

Non-fiction would be preferred, but if its great...its great.

I'll throw out a few of my favorites. I highly recommend any of these to anyone who likes to read. Most are very action packed and all are very interesting...

The Kite Runner - Fiction, but reads like non-fiction. Follows the lives of two kids born in Aphganistan in the 70s through the present.

Inside Delta Force - Written by one of the inaugaral members of the Unit.

Into Thin Air - Chronicals a failed Everest Expidition where everything goes wrong.

Black Hawk Down - The book is better than the movie. Much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 09:47 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

ne.gif
I just read Marks of Valor -Seals: The Warrior Breed This is book six of a series by H. Jay Riker. If your into military books, especially seal teams, this is a very good read. I went through it in two days.

It's a fictional book about real life characters and real life events. This particular one covers a group of seals in Vietnam.

Not sure if it's your cup of tea, but I liked it very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 10:02 

hou.gif
Not really into the military whatnot, but I think "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz is one of the best books I've ever read. Very well written and entertaining. Koontz paints pictures with words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 10:07 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

ind.gif
Stankweasels 3000 wrote:
Not really into the military whatnot, but I think "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz is one of the best books I've ever read. Very well written and entertaining. Koontz paints pictures with words.
thank book is great i have it along with the sequel Forever Odd is also a great read. Dean Koontz 'The Face' was really good.
I also read James Patterson's Alex Cross novels and really enjoy them....Along with Iris Johansen and her Eve Duncan forensic sculpting novels. The Jason Bourne books from Robert Lundlum are excellent. And I like a lot of novels from John Grisham.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 10:18 
Honorary Mod (powerless)

buf.gif
dznutz88 wrote:
Stankweasels 3000 wrote:
thank book is great i have it along with the sequel Forever Odd is also a great read. Dean Koontz 'The Face' was really good.
I also read James Patterson's Alex Cross novels and really enjoy them....Along with Iris Johansen and her Eve Duncan forensic sculpting novels. The Jason Bourne books from Robert Lundlum are excellent. And I like a lot of novels from John Grisham.

I agree. I liked Odd Thomas a lot. I didnt know there was a sequel though...might have to check that out.

Koontz, Patterson, Grisham, Baldacci, Crichton, Brown, and Deaver are some of my fiction staples right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 10:20 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

ind.gif
gridguru wrote:
dznutz88 wrote:
Stankweasels 3000 wrote:

I agree. I liked Odd Thomas a lot. I didnt know there was a sequel though...might have to check that out.

Koontz, Patterson, Grisham, Baldacci, Crichton, Brown, and Deaver are some of my fiction staples right now.

Forever Odd just came out before Christmas..my wife ordered it for me and gave it to me in my stocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 10:41 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

mia.gif
More humorous than you may want, but...

The Poo Bomb by Jeff Vogel

Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About by Mil Millington (British author if that comes into play)

I like my coffee like I like my women...without a penis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 12:19 
Megalodon
Megalodon

If you're interested in learning about relativity theory, quantum physics, and other stuff like that then...

The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene

A more readable book that covers a lot of the same material is...

The Fabric of the Cosmos - Brian Greene

He wrote The Fabric of the Cosomos after his mother complained she couldn't understand the first book. I personally like the 1st book better. The 2nd book is easier to understand though and requires a little less reflection to get through. Greene does an outstanding job explaining very non-intuitive concepts in both books.

¸„ø¤ „ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¨°º¤

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 12:26 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

chi.gif
If you have't read it, "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara is an excellent book. It's sort of a historical-drama of the battle of Gettysburg. It was the basis for the movie "Gettysburg", but it's much better.

Very highly acclaimed.

Michael's son, Jeff, later wrote a prequel (Gods and Generals) and a sequel (The Last Full Measure) dealing with the war up to, and after Gettysburg. They are good also, but not as good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 12:27 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

nyj.gif
gridguru wrote:
dznutz88 wrote:
Stankweasels 3000 wrote:

If you like Grisham then let me recommend some courtroom novels that are amazing.
Steve Martini has written a series of books about a lawyer Paul Madriani and each book is really good. You can start with compelling evidence which is the first. Here is a list of the rest in order: Prime witness, Undue Influence, The judge, The Attorney, The Jury. There are 2 more that I havent read yet that come after these. Check out the first one and if you like it then continue.
Scott Turow has also written some great courtroom novels. you may have seen Presumed Innocent (Harrison Ford) but if not then get the book. Its great. He wrote some sequels (same town, some same characters) to it: Burden of proof, Pleading guilty, Laws of our fathers, Personal injuries, and reversible errors. All are really good but I liked the last the best.
These are courtroom novels. If you want other types I can recommend more. I read a hell of a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 12:46 
Whale Shark

den.gif
Depends on what you like. A book I just finished was My Friend Leonard. This is the sequel to A Million Little Pieces. Yeh, yeah, I know it was an Oprah book and everybody is questioning the author. This does not take away from the fact that it is a good, gritty, intense read. Very good reflection of addiciton and anger. If you like military books Norman Malier is a good author, although it is fiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 12:49 
Megalodon
Megalodon

was.gif
The Life of Pi is an incredibly interesting, amusing, horrifying and entertaining book.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is a fascinating exploration into the mind of an autistic boy.

Every Carl Hiasson book I have ever read has been laugh-out-loud funny.

Stiff is an excellent examination of the role cadavers play in our world.

Bringing Down the House is a great story of how a bunch of MIT students made huge money in Vegas

Positively 5th Street is a great combo murder-World Series of Poker non-fiction book. The first three pages are worth reading by themselves.

Jawbreaker and Assassin's Gate are both excellent books on the current GWOT.

On 10/3/08 Huckleberry wrote:

Something we can agree on DaKlute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 12:51 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

nyj.gif
DaKlute wrote:
The Life of Pi is an incredibly interesting, amusing, horrifying and entertaining book.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is a fascinating exploration into the mind of an autistic boy.

Every Carl Hiasson book I have ever read has been laugh-out-loud funny.

Stiff is an excellent examination of the role cadavers play in our world.

Bringing Down the House is a great story of how a bunch of MIT students made huge money in Vegas

Positively 5th Street is a great combo murder-World Series of Poker non-fiction book. The first three pages are worth reading by themselves.

Jawbreaker and Assassin's Gate are both excellent books on the current GWOT.

unbelievable book. I work with Autistic children and must say it is fairly accurate according to most of them that can and have read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 14:14 
Darth Mod

ind.gif
springles wrote:
DaKlute wrote:

unbelievable book. I work with Autistic children and must say it is fairly accurate according to most of them that can and have read it.

Hey Springles My son is Autistic (he's now 30 months old and our first child so needless to say my wife and I are new to this sort of thing, and trying our best to stay positive through everything).

Maybe we should talk off line about what you do and any advice you might have from your experiences.

I might just pick up this book, after hearing both yours and DaKlute's recomendations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01.20.2006, 14:51 
Megalodon
Megalodon

feral pig wrote:
If you have't read it, "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara is an excellent book. It's sort of a historical-drama of the battle of Gettysburg. It was the basis for the movie "Gettysburg", but it's much better.

Very highly acclaimed.

Michael's son, Jeff, later wrote a prequel (Gods and Generals) and a sequel (The Last Full Measure) dealing with the war up to, and after Gettysburg. They are good also, but not as good.

I'm going to have to agree here. Killer Angels is a great book. It's not non-fiction but it's pretty close.

Also, Bravo Two Zero was very good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next