FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Wed 07.23.2014, 06:54

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Wed 11.12.2008, 12:37 
Darth Mod

Sand$: 49766
Donate
ind.gif
This looks like it could be AWESOME. I mean take the production value and story of something like ROME and drop it into the fantasy realm. I think this is going to be a huge hit to Tolkien or Weiss/Hickman fans out there. Keep your eyes out for this one (I know I will):

HBO Greenlights Pilot For George R.R. Martin’s GAME OF THRONES

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/11/hbo-orders-fant.html

Quote:
HBO has given a pilot order to fantasy project "Game of Thrones."

The program is based on George R.R. Martin’s bestselling series of novels "A Song of Fire & Ice" and executive produced by David Benioff ("Troy") and D.B. Weiss ("Halo"). The title “Game of Thrones” is from the first novel in the series.

If greenlit, “Thrones” would represent the rarest of TV genres: a full-fledged fantasy series.

Though broadcasters have embraced sci-fi-tinged shows in recent years following the success of ABC’s “Lost” and NBC’s “Heroes,” and supernatural themes have been given a spin by CW’s “Supernatural” and HBO’s own “True Blood,” high fantasy is nearly nonexistent in primetime TV history -- and “Thrones” is an unabashed member of the genre. The books have swords, dragons, magic, the works.

“Fantasy is the most successful genre in terms of feature films given the incredible popularity of ‘Lord of the Rings’ and Harry Potter movies,” Benioff said. “High fantasy has never been done on TV before and if anybody can do it, it’s HBO. They’ve taken tired genres and reinvented them -- mobsters in ‘The Sopranos’ and Westerns with ‘Deadwood.’”

The cost of producing a fantasy series is usually a big factor that deters networks. The producers note “Thrones” is written as a character drama and major battles often take place off stage.

“It’s not a story with a million orcs charging across the plains,” Weiss said. “The most expensive effects are creature effects and there’s not much of that.”

Martin plans seven books in the series. The producers intend for each season to span one novel.

But before the series can get on the air, the producers first have to slay a more formidable threat than any dragon: pilot competitors. HBO has 10 other pilots in contention for series orders. Though the network declines to project how many shows will receive an order since HBO doesn’t need to fill a specific number of time-periods like broadcasters, at least six are expected to get a pickup.

Also, the success of “True Blood” may work in “Thrones'” favor. HBO has always sought to defy any sort of specific genre branding for their network, emphasizing that each project is judged on its own merits. Yet given how the vampire drama continues to gain viewers, and how Showtime’s swords-and-monarchy historical drama “The Tudors” has performed strongly, it’s not unreasonable to believe the network may see “Thrones” as a good fit.

Previous fantasy titles on TV are few and far between. ABC’s “Pushing Daisies” might qualify as a member of the genre, though its fantastical elements are wrapped in a modern day crime procedural. ABC Family’s “Kyle XY” could fit. Some would consider the WB’s “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” fantasy, though supernatural drama is probably a more appropriate term. Former syndicated program “Xena Warrior Princess,” however, is firmly in the genre. NBC’s upcoming “Kings” also qualifies.

"Swords and sorcerers are more the province of movies -- and kid's TV cartoons -- than of prime time series," said TV historian Tim Brooks. "There are occasional attempts, such as the syndicated 'Conan: The Television Series' and 'The Adventures of Sinbad,' and the various revivals of Robin Hood sometimes included magic. But none of TV's big hits, that I can think of, fall into this category. Adult viewers prefer characters they can relate to."

Some thoughts: I suspect a fair number of viewers are going to love this idea -- a high fantasy series with a grown-up budget and no content restrictions? Not even the hugely popular movie franchises cited by the producers have offered such a prospect, because no studio greenlights a fantasy budget without the promise of a PG-13 rating. Combined with "True Blood," this also suggests an interesting, AintItCoolNews-targeted direction for the network. Less edgy-PBS, more R-rated Comic Con.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11.12.2008, 12:46 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 9054
Donate
cle.gif
Ohhhh HELLL yah!

PostPosted: Wed 11.12.2008, 13:38 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6404
Donate
phi.gif
DynastyForce wrote:

HBO Greenlights Pilot For George R.R. Martin’s GAME OF THRONES

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/11/hbo-orders-fant.html

Quote:
"Swords and sorcerers are more the province of movies -- and kid's TV cartoons -- than of prime time series," said TV historian Tim Brooks.

I read the article and what I think is most important is to find out how I can become a professional "TV Hisorian".

That sounds like a ridiculous job. I wonder how much that guy weighs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11.12.2008, 14:44 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 20518
Donate
phi.gif
This looks pretty cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11.12.2008, 19:33 

Sand$: 41708
Donate
phi.gif
one of the best novel series i've ever read. i can't wait. hope they do it right...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11.12.2008, 19:51 
Darth Mod

Donate
ind.gif
Ippo wrote:
one of the best novel series i've ever read. i can't wait. hope they do it right...

The creative team looks solid, and HBO has turned out some awesome serial shows. I think it has the potential of being awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11.13.2008, 10:31 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 37081
Donate
pit.gif
Never considered it could be a series. Great idea! I think this could really be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11.13.2008, 11:06 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 292388
Donate
nyj.gif
I never read the books but I welcome a show with such a plot. I just gave True Blood a shot last week and it was surprisingly good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11.13.2008, 12:24 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 229
Donate
Location: Texas (South of the Town Lake, and Ben White, about a 1/2 mile behind the Blazer Lazer Tag)
cin.gif
Ippo wrote:

Sounds interesting.

Now get back to writing George - your next book has been too long in coming.

Also, has anyone else seen "The Seeker". A fairly cheesy series based on Terry Goodkind's book "Wizard's First Rule" from The Sword of Truth series of books he wrapped up recently with "Confessor". On late night network TV (don't remember what network) and it seems in the same class as the Hercules and Xena series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11.13.2008, 12:33 
Darth Mod

Donate
ind.gif
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Also, has anyone else seen "The Seeker". A fairly cheesy series based on Terry Goodkind's book "Wizard's First Rule" from The Sword of Truth series of books he wrapped up recently with "Confessor". On late night network TV (don't remember what network) and it seems in the same class as the Hercules and Xena series.

I'm recording it but haven't watched it yet. I'm a big fantasy fan so I'm sure I'll dig it not matter how cheesy it is :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 04.22.2009, 09:44 
Darth Mod

Donate
ind.gif
http://grrm.livejournal.com/84893.html

Quote:
At last it can be told.

The news has finally been made public, so i'm finally free to whoop and holler and share the great news -- the hbo pilot of a game of thrones will start filming in october, in northern ireland. The announcement was made in belfast. Here you go:

http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/ne...bo-to-film.htm

yes, i'm thrilled. Ireland should be a great place to film. And the facility we'll be using, the paint hall, is amazing as well:

http://www.northernirelandscreen.co.uk/page.asp?id=211

before it was a film studio, the paint hall was part of belfast's famous harland & wolff shipyards, where the titanic and many other ships were constructed. The facility is pretty titanic as well. Of course, all of us connected with a game of thrones are hoping we'll fare somewhat better on our own maiden voyage.

Yes, parris and i will be going over to ireland this fall to see at least part of the filming. Not for the whole shoot, alas, i don't have time for that... But we have to be there for at least part of it. Maybe we'll see some of you in a belfast pub.

There's lots of other exciting news on the pilot as well, but nothing i can share. Sorry, lips are sealed. You'll have to wait for mr. Benioff and mr. Weiss... And hbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 04.22.2009, 09:46 
Honorary Mod (powerless)

Sand$: 2588
Donate
det.gif
Im in. I tend to be a fan of whatever original programming HBO throws out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 04.22.2009, 12:34 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 229
Donate
Location: Texas (South of the Town Lake, and Ben White, about a 1/2 mile behind the Blazer Lazer Tag)
cin.gif
DynastyForce wrote:

Quote:
At last it can be told.

The news has finally been made public, so i'm finally free to whoop and holler and share the great news -- the hbo pilot of a game of thrones will start filming in october, in northern ireland. The announcement was made in belfast. Here you go:

yes, i'm thrilled. Ireland should be a great place to film. And the facility we'll be using, the paint hall, is amazing as well:

before it was a film studio, the paint hall was part of belfast's famous harland & wolff shipyards, where the titanic and many other ships were constructed. The facility is pretty titanic as well. Of course, all of us connected with a game of thrones are hoping we'll fare somewhat better on our own maiden voyage.

Yes, parris and i will be going over to ireland this fall to see at least part of the filming. Not for the whole shoot, alas, i don't have time for that... But we have to be there for at least part of it. Maybe we'll see some of you in a belfast pub.

There's lots of other exciting news on the pilot as well, but nothing i can share. Sorry, lips are sealed. You'll have to wait for mr. Benioff and mr. Weiss... And hbo.

Cool - I'll need to track it down on Hulu or something since I'm to cheap to get HBO.

George - finish the next d&#* book before I come and hunt you down!!! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 04.22.2009, 17:29 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 20518
Donate
phi.gif
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
DynastyForce wrote:

Quote:
At last it can be told.

Cool - I'll need to track it down on Hulu or something since I'm to cheap to get HBO.

George - finish the next d&#* book before I come and hunt you down!!! :x

The next d1ck book? :shock: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 04.22.2009, 21:52 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 82138
Donate
stl.gif
I love reading these nerd threads :lol: That reminds me DF, when are you going to give us somemore original fiction? I've been waiting to see what you can come up with.

I'm your Huckleberry

Grid Guru....Man of the People!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next