Can this epic make it as a trilogy of Movies?

No Way! - it should have been a long 12-part series on HBO
50%
Yes! - I believed in LOTR I think this can work too
50%

Total votes : 12
Darth Mod
Sand$: 49,787.18
Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' Set For Film Trilogy, and TV Series

By MIKE FLEMING | Thursday April 29, 2010 @ 9:09pm EDT

EXCLUSIVE: In a whopping deal coming together quickly, Stephen King, Imagine Entertainment and Weed Road are in discussions to make a screen trilogy and TV series out of King's epic novel series The Dark Tower. Akiva Goldsman will write the script, Ron Howard will direct it, and his Imagine Entertainment partner Brian Grazer will produce with Goldsman and King.

Universal is in talks to acquire a package that included the books, and the attachment of the team behind the Oscar-winning film A Beautiful Mind and The Da Vinci Code. Both Universal –where Imagine is based—and Warner Bros—where Goldsman’s Weed Road banner is housed—have been vying for the project.

The Dark Tower is King’s answer to JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, and the author will get his own screen trilogy. Like Tolkien, King's epic novel series is set in an otherworldly but familiar world, and involves a quest to save the world. The series spanned seven novels that involved Roland Deschain, the last living member of a knightly order of gunslingers who exists in a world that has an Old West feel, but which is infused with magic. He is on a quest to find the Dark Tower, a structure that holds the key to the nexus of all universes. He encounters many allies and enemies along the way, as the world crumbles around him.

The book series was once developed by JJ Abrams and his Lost cohorts Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, but they never cracked it. Goldsman, who has become a prolific producer, was the catalyst for securing the rights from King, and he brought it to Howard and Grazer. It was not immediately evident how large the transaction was, but King has often optioned his works for little or no money upfront, and reportedly he bestowed the rights on Abrams for $19, a number which has significance in the novel series. King is working on an eighth novel, one that doesn't change the ending, but deals with characters and a storyline that falls midway in the series. CAA is working on the deal.

Hmmm line up Dark Tower fans and have your say.

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 19,900.04
Hopefully with the crew lined up to make this, they wont F it up.

lousylions wrote:How did you like it in the end Conan?

Megalodon
Sand$: 35,813.98
I'm looking forward to the trilogy. I only read Gunslinger. I meant to read the rest but never got around to it.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=329576
10th Annual Kicker Defense Challenge
Can you win a yahoo public league picking DEF/K in the 1st 2 rounds?

500 sand entry fee
2015 winners
Endzoneview
Craphead
Crackhead Bob
PMG
Palmerac
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 12,111.20
Seven long books squeezed into a movie trilogy...sounds great. :roll:
Darth Mod
Elmagister wrote:Seven long books squeezed into a movie trilogy...sounds great. :roll:

The article throws that twist in there about a TV series as well... I haven't read the complete saga so maybe there is a clever way or good stopping point for them to film 3 movies up until point A then start a TV series for the remainder of the epic?

Supreme Megalodon
DynastyForce wrote:
Elmagister wrote:Seven long books squeezed into a movie trilogy...sounds great. :roll:

The article throws that twist in there about a TV series as well... I haven't read the complete saga so maybe there is a clever way or good stopping point for them to film 3 movies up until point A then start a TV series for the remainder of the epic?

That might work. I was a huge fan of the first four books of the series. I started reading them as a kid. But the last three books were major disappointments to me. I won't see any movie versions, I think. They'll only ruin the first four, and I won't be interested in the last three.
Darth Mod
Elmagister wrote:
DynastyForce wrote:

That might work. I was a huge fan of the first four books of the series. I started reading them as a kid. But the last three books were major disappointments to me. I won't see any movie versions, I think. They'll only ruin the first four, and I won't be interested in the last three.

I just read this by another fan:

I'm thinking the movie(s) will deal with the core storyline (the search for the Dark Tower) while the TV series will tell the tales of Roland's childhood. Kind of like The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

Supreme Megalodon
DynastyForce wrote:
Elmagister wrote:
DynastyForce wrote:

I just read this by another fan:

I'm thinking the movie(s) will deal with the core storyline (the search for the Dark Tower) while the TV series will tell the tales of Roland's childhood. Kind of like The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

Then they'll have to be four hour movies...
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 57,059.02
I read the first book. I didn't like it and didn't continue in the series. I probably should since I was told they get better as you continue in the series.
Megalodon
Sand$: 88,165.08
unimsw wrote:I read the first book. I didn't like it and didn't continue in the series. I probably should since I was told they get better as you continue in the series.

I did the same. Read the 1st then quit. I thought it was the worst Stephen King book I'd ever read.

I'm your Huckleberry

Grid Guru....Man of the People!
Megalodon
Sand$: 18,358.48
Actually I found the first book to be a little slower paced than the others. I thought it picks up a lot in the 2nd as two other main characters are introduced and you get to know all of them.

Anyway regarding the movie...I agree that it's going to be a little hard to squeeze 7 books into 3 movies. I hope Howard can pull it off.
Megalodon
Sand$: 74,057.30
Stephen King’s The Dark Tower Coming To Cinemas And TV In Simultaneous Tie-Ins
Submitted by Brendon Connelly on September 8, 2010 – 5:09 pm (3) comments .

This is crazy talk, Universal. You’re going to have Ron Howard direct a Dark Tower feature film plus a whole season of TV episodes to follow shortly afterwards? And then there’s two more movies and another season of TV to come after that, in order to wrap the story up? Okay. Be it on your heads.

Quick primer: Stephen King’s The Dark Tower is a series of seven books and assorted side publications that tell a fantasy-western-horror story set in a kind of Old West-Camelot-Middle Earth. JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof were working on an adaptation, but eventually walked away when they couldn’t work out how to condense the vast number of plotlines and characters down to something manageable.

Universal’s plans for the adaptation seem absurdly ambitious. What if the TV series is tanking and the network want to pull it mid-season? What if the first film is a giant box office flop? I’m not sure Ron Howard is a basket I’d want to put any of my eggs in, let alone hundreds of millions of dollars worth. And letting screenwriter Akiva Goldsman load that basket is outright reckless.

Aw, heck. It’s history in the making, if nothing else. I do respect the gusto.

Ron Howard told Deadline:

I love both [films and TV], and like what’s going on in TV. With this story, if you dedicated to one medium or another, there’s the horrible risk of cheating material. The scope and scale call for a big screen budget. But if you committed only to films, you’d deny the audience the intimacy and nuance of some of these characters and a lot of cool twists and turns that make for jaw-dropping, compelling television. We’ve put some real time and deep thought into this, and a lot of conversations and analysis from a business standpoint, to get people to believe in this and take this leap with us. I hope audiences respond to it in a way that compels us to keep going after the first year or two of work. It’s fresh territory for me, as a filmmaker.

The article also reveals that the second season of TV, to come between films two and three, would be based on the prequel comic books. I guess you probably know better than me if that’s a good idea.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/09/08/ ... s-tie-ins/

Not sure about this, seems like it a fresh idea, but there seems to be alot of room for error.

would have added this to the other thread , but search function is on the fritz.

QB: This, Is
RBS: For, Oar, I , Know
WRS: He, Doesn't, Like, Sigs, With
TE: Teams, Listed
Kicker: In
Def: Them
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 8,984.73
Wow - look at the amazing things that happen when people finish writing their stories. =D>

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

OAK 34 PIT 31
Tiger Shark
Sand$: 610.00
great book series... but awfully ambitious to write a Movie and TV combo. good luck!
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 19,900.04
You know this has to be the gunslinger in Ron Howard's version right?

lousylions wrote:How did you like it in the end Conan?