Great White Shark
Sand$: 8,880.94
I like the idea of GC's but I don't want just a "professor" giving me a lecture, as interesting as that lecture might be.

Do they use computer animation and other visual technology when it's pertinent?

For instance, I'm contemplating a Decisive Battles of World History. But if it's just a guy talking and maybe with still photos, no. I'd like 21st century technology in use here. SHOW me what happened.

If ya got nothing to say, don't say it.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 8,562.84
Killer Bs wrote:I like the idea of GC's but I don't want just a "professor" giving me a lecture, as interesting as that lecture might be.

Do they use computer animation and other visual technology when it's pertinent?

For instance, I'm contemplating a Decisive Battles of World History. But if it's just a guy talking and maybe with still photos, no. I'd like 21st century technology in use here. SHOW me what happened.

Sign me up..that would be cool. I would want to do that in person though. Hear the lectures..see any stuff he shows live. Able to converse..wouldnt pay the money without that.

On 07.31.2015 DaKlute said:to show you how unifying this issue is for those of us who don't look to gronk brady's nutz: i stand with amish...and that almost never happens.
Great White Shark
Well this is GreatCourses.com. It's a DVD (or streaming). I've read many books about "decisive battles" but I have a hard time picturing what actually happened. That's why I'm hoping this could provide some visuals.

I'm sure you know the drill in books - "The left wing of the 38th Batallion turned the flank of the 7th Division and .... "

I want to see some visuals of how these battles went down.

Great White Shark
Sand$: 6,595.72
There was a show called Battlefield Britain on PBS that covered major English battles with cgi re-creations. May be on pbs.org or youtube.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 27,503.24
SantosLHauper wrote:There was a show called Battlefield Britain on PBS that covered major English battles with cgi re-creations. May be on pbs.org or youtube.

I just watched those online a couple months ago. Pretty good.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/battlefield-britain/

What about beans?
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 27,503.24
Yuck - the quality on YouTube is horrible. I don't remember it being that bad - I must have seen it on another site.

I'll hunt around a bit.

What about beans?
Great White Shark
Yeah, that's exactly what I'd like to see, cgi re-creations. So I did some research and The Great Courses do indeed use such technology. It's not just talking heads.

It is actually a tremendous site as an alternative to a book. It covers almost literally everything one could be interested in. It can be pricey - up to $300 - but they have constant sales where you can get a DVD course for $70. And there's buyer's reviews as well.

And you can do what I did - Amazon. Got 50% off. Hit or miss on Amazon, but I hit it.