FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sun 04.20.2014, 12:46

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:08 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 38466
Donate
det.gif
i've started a few of these before, but i'd like to try and keep one actually running on a regular basis if possible. basically, i'd like to try and keep a running thread of beer and wine suggestions/reviews/conversations that can function similar to HND's movie thread in that it has lasting value and is an ever morphing/evolving entity.....all with the express goal of furthering my and other sharks knowledge and appreciation of my two favorite forms of alcoholic beverages.

i welcome any and all additions to this thread, including those that have been brought up previously (like the cheap beer thread for instance). one thing i would request is that if you do want to contribute an entry/review (either positive or negative) that you try to include a few basic elements:

- accurate name of the product, including the brewery or winery/vineyard name.
- in the case of wine, try to get the full designation. for example, many wineries have a number of cabernets that they offer, all of which have different descriptors be it "reserve" or a specific county/valley or a specific vineyard or block
- in the case of wine (or barley wine or special brews such as bell's hopslam) please include the vintage year. there is often a considerable difference in quality and/or characteristics from year to year.
- include the price you paid and whether you recieved any kind of discount or if the product was on sale so that other sharks can gauge what they can expect to pay if they seek it out
- give some kind of description of the beverage, anything beyond "it's good" that can help fellow sharks determine whether or not to seek it out themselves.
- if possible, try to include a label image so that your recommendation......good or bad.....can be more easily recognized by fellow sharks
- try to include the ABV of the beer/wine as well, as these can vary greatly

and with that, i'll try to get the ball rolling......

Last edited by getdownmmmkay on Thu 04.08.2010, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:13 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13330
Donate
dal.gif
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=130679

:Drink)

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:20 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
stone ruination IPA (india pale ale)
7.7% alcohol :)
paid about $13 for a six pack

hefty price for a beer, sure. that said, i'm an unrepentant beer snob that thinks bud and miller lite taste like the exact same form of malt water. secondly, 7.7%? that's like two beers worth of alcohol per bottle. this stuff will hit ya.

if you've ever had an IPA, you know they are bitter. really bitter. that said, if you like 'em you're actually looking for that bitter bite. there are a number of IPAs i've had that are just too much hay/grass hops without any body to balance them out. this isn't one of them. this has a ton of body and flavor prior to that bitter hop kick at the back end. can't put my finger on the flavors currently but i want to say it's almost floral, NOT sweet rosy candy floral though if that makes any sense. regardless, i'm not sure if my palate is becoming more IPA friendly as of late or if this is just damn good beer, but i really like this stuff. i have a suspicion it's a combination of both as there are a handful of other IPAs that will be gracing this thread in the near future.

finally, this is probably the third or fourth brew i've tried from stone brewery (based out of the san diego area) and there is not a one that i haven't liked. be prepared for bold flavors though. these guys have no clue how to make wimpy beer.

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:24 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
cornerbackX24 wrote:
http://www.fantasysharks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=130679

:Drink)

understood, but i'm looking to make this a little more in depth. if the thread becomes chit-chat worthy so be it, but i'm looking to create something that is more informative than the got beer thread..........and since i drink a chit pot of wine i want to include wine reviews/conversations as well.

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:24 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 39048
Donate
pit.gif
OK I give it a go here.

first off theres new chain of bars that have started to open in florida call the World of Beer. There are about 7 of them in florida right now, and 1 of them happen to be 10 minute away. every tuesday they do have a brewery itro night or some type of beer release.

The one they had the tuesday before last was breckenridge brewery , they had the whole line up which was pretty good.

well 1 of the beers was pretty unique, it was the Vanilla porter. It was kind of a good contrast to what Im use to with porters, wear you could slightly taste the vailla at the end. really surprised that this worked that well in a porter. Most of the beers from breckenridge were pretty good. Lucky U was pretty good too.

http://wobsarasota.com/default.aspx

this is the place i had it, i cant wait for the beertopia with Dogfish head beer comes on april 27th.

Info on the porter

http://www.breckbrew.com/beer/vanillaporter.html

TE: Teams, Listed
Kicker: In
Def: Them

Last edited by rugger48 on Thu 04.08.2010, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:25 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
getdownmmmkay wrote:
stone ruination IPA (india pale ale)
7.7% alcohol :)
paid about $13 for a six pack

hefty price for a beer, sure. that said, i'm an unrepentant beer snob that thinks bud and miller lite taste like the exact same form of malt water. secondly, 7.7%? that's like two beers worth of alcohol per bottle. this stuff will hit ya.

if you've ever had an IPA, you know they are bitter. really bitter. that said, if you like 'em you're actually looking for that bitter bite. there are a number of IPAs i've had that are just too much hay/grass hops without any body to balance them out. this isn't one of them. this has a ton of body and flavor prior to that bitter hop kick at the back end. can't put my finger on the flavors currently but i want to say it's almost floral, NOT sweet rosy candy floral though if that makes any sense. regardless, i'm not sure if my palate is becoming more IPA friendly as of late or if this is just damn good beer, but i really like this stuff. i have a suspicion it's a combination of both as there are a handful of other IPAs that will be gracing this thread in the near future.

finally, this is probably the third or fourth brew i've tried from stone brewery (based out of the san diego area) and there is not a one that i haven't liked. be prepared for bold flavors though. these guys have no clue how to make wimpy beer.

Stone so far in my mind is 1 of the best out there, there smoked porter is incredible. From my understanding the ruination IPA is called that because if you drink a couple of them it will ruin your palate for pretty much the night. Basically if you drink 2 of them and then try a drifferent beer, the taste of the other beer isnt the same as if you hadnt had any stone. They use some kind of special hops in it.

Last edited by rugger48 on Thu 04.08.2010, 16:33, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:31 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
vanilla porter sounds awesome.

back in the 90's when i was in architecture school we took a field trip to charleston, SC and they had a brew pub called south end brewery IIRC. anyway, this place was awesome and had some gorgeous pool tables. needless to say, this became our hang out for the week we were there and they had a chocolate ale that was out of this world. not as big as a porter, more like a red in body.........but with every swallow right at the back of your tongue you'd get this little tinge of unsweetened baker's chocolate. the stuff was awesome.

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:35 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13330
Donate
dal.gif
Oh well, I did not want to be a jerk, just giving you a heads up.

My current favorite:

Schlappeseppel Kellerbier

5.5 vol% alcohol
Runs smoothly over your palatine, slightly malty and not acerb without beeing sweet.
A case of 20 (0.5l bottles) is 12 Euros so regular price there.

-------------------------------
And I personally never found a beer above 6 vol% alcohol that tastes good. We have these Bockbeers over here that have up to 12 vol% but quite honestly the higher the alcohol percentage the bitter they are. Cant really enjoy them in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:36 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 20230
Donate
phi.gif

Twisted Tea, the Original Hard Iced Tea, is a refreshing and smooth flavored malt beverage. It is made with a blend of select teas and real lemon to give a clean, refreshing taste.

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:42 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 14038
Donate
chi.gif
I'm heading over to Odell's Tap Room tomorrow, specifically to try this:

Quote:
This is more than a limited edition offering. It’s an enigma in liquid form. At first it looks like a deep mahogany ale, then you take your first sip and notice its distinct hoppy character. We begin with a ridiculous amount of Cascade and Chinook hop varietals from Western Colorado and bring out their flavor with the hop back. Then we double dry hop for even more of that aroma you love. The result is an unforgettable beer from the forgotten time zone.

8.5% Alc. by Vol.

54 IBU’s

I'll post a review once I've tried it.

Let the sun and light come streaming
Into my life, into my life

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:43 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 11496
Donate
buf.gif

dis chit gets you fked up nicka!

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 16:50 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
rugger48 wrote:

From my understanding the ruination IPA is called that because if you drink a couple of them it will ruin your palate for pretty much the night. Basically if you drink 2 of them and then try a drifferent beer, the taste of the other beer isnt the same as if you hadnt had any stone.

this is an accurate statement to say the least.

@ cornerback: have you not had any belgian brews that you've liked? i've had a number of begian's that were high in ABV but very good and easy drinking

@feral: exactly what i'm looking for out of this thread. look forward to your comments

@jokerswild and HND: well played

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 17:16 
Darth Mod

Sand$: 49730
Donate
ind.gif
I beat the move to chit chat ;-)

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 19:00 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
I got inspired,Im going to the World of beer tonight. I will give a follow up after words of what i had.

PostPosted: Thu 04.08.2010, 19:08 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 17933
Donate
min.gif
One from last night:

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA
Dark Horse Brewing, Marshal, MI
Double IPA
$13/4-pack of 12 ouncers
13.6% abv

I'll just cut/paste my review from beeradvocate. The review is from last years beer, but the recipe is the same:

12 oz. brown bottle. 2009 release.

<appearance> Pours murky, copper. Heavy haze with a tinge of crimson along the edges. Head is soft, with intricate lacing along the sides of the glass.

<smell> A touch boozy and more malt-laden than hop-heavy. Big hints of citrus though, especially orange.

<taste> Bitterness abounds. Flavors of orange, and something real earthy, almost tobacco like. Solid malts, but without any residual sweetness and after the nose, more bitter than expected. Some alcohol heat, but at 13.6, I expected this to be a lot boozier. Holy shoot this is good.

<mouthfeel> Oily and big, but not too big on the tongue. Bitter but not over the top on the finish. I think I love this beer.

<drinkability> Considering the abv, it's very easy to drink and remain interested without being overrun by the alcohol on the tongue. It'll still knock you on your rump though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 81  Next