FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 10.23.2014, 05:08

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Penn State Tragedy
PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 04:15 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 9082
Donate
cle.gif
The following is an article regarding the Child sexual abuse allegations against coach Sandusky of Penn State. Completely destroying Penn State and happy Valleys reputation, forever in my book. My question is, did Joe Pa do all he could do? He did the legal requirement of reporting what he knew to the Administration, however, did he do the moral thing by not demanding results, actionable items to demand justice? He let it go and did nothing more.

I believe Joe Pa to be guilty here. He should have done far more to get this incident to justice while he knew damn well nothing was being done about it with his superiors. They all kept their mouths shut to avoid embarrassment and allowed this monster to continue. Wth?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/ban-penn-state-as ... 52906.html

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A former Penn State assistant football coach accused of sexually abusing boys held summer football camps at a satellite campus for six years after he was banned from taking youths onto the university's main campus by the athletics director and the senior vice president, who have been charged with failing to tell police about him.

Jerry Sandusky was prohibited from holding his youth sports camps on campus in 2002, the year a graduate student claimed to see him assault a child in a locker room shower. But Sandusky held the camps through his Sandusky Associates company from 2000 to 2008 at a satellite campus just outside Erie, Penn State Behrend spokesman Bill Gonda said.

"We provided the facilities for it," Gonda said Monday. "There were no allegations, no complaints during his tenure here."

Gonda referred questions about other issues, including whether the school knew about other allegations against Sandusky before allowing the camp to be held there, to officials at the main campus in State College, a four-hour drive southeast of Erie.

School spokeswoman Lisa Powers said Penn State Erie and Penn State Harrisburg provided facilities for Sandusky to run a summer football camp under his own name. She said Penn State Erie runs about 14 to 18 summer camps in a variety of sports. She said the Sandusky camp was among numerous sports and academic camps that ran on campus.

The Sandusky camp was first reported by the sports website Deadspin.

Sandusky operated football camps not only at the Behrend campus but also at Penn State Capital College in Middletown, Robert Morris University and Muhlenberg College, among others, according to his website, which is now offline.

The camp was aimed at students from fourth grade through high school and offered personal attention and coaching from Sandusky, who retired from Penn State in 1999 after learning that he would not be head coach Joe Paterno's successor.

Sandusky has been aware of the accusations against him for about three years and has maintained his innocence, his lawyer said.

The athletics director back then, Tim Curley, and the senior vice president, Gary Schultz, surrendered to authorities on Monday to face charges that they failed to alert police to complaints that Sandusky had sexually abused eight boys and that they lied to a state grand jury investigating the former defensive coordinator.

A grand jury report released Saturday, after Sandusky was charged with sexually abusing eight boys over a 15-year period, makes various references to Curley banning him from taking children into the athletics facilities, the football building, the football locker room and the main campus.

A spokesman for the state attorney general's office declined to comment further on the ban.

Curley and Schultz stepped down from their posts late Sunday, with Curley taking a temporary leave and Schultz retiring. Their lawyers said they are innocent and will seek to have the charges against them dismissed. Schultz's lawyer said the men did what they were supposed to do by informing their superiors of the accusations against Sandusky.

The state police commissioner said Paterno fulfilled his legal requirement when he relayed to university administrators that the graduate assistant claimed to have seen Sandusky attacking a boy in the shower, but the commissioner questioned whether Paterno had a moral responsibility to do more.

Paterno, major college football's winningest coach, said he wasn't told "the very specific actions" contained in the grand jury report. He said in a statement that, if the allegations are true, "we grieve for the victims and their families."

Post subject: Re: Penn State Tragedy
PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 06:37 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 117853
Donate
min.gif
Administration------------------------->....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------> ... Football team's head coach

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 06:48 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 19950
Donate
ne.gif
castrate that piece of sheet

pwbowen wrote:
I apologize for being the wet fart.

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 07:15 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 19482
Donate
hou2.gif
The BlueBeards wrote:
That whole staff and retinue are going to be ousted, at minimum, and some of these guys are going to get fried from all angles.

Wow. Penn football, the whole school, is going to suffer ill-effects for years.

This is the kind of stuff that will draw heat to the institution of college football, in general, too. Just the perks/entitlements this guy utilized to pull all this off, for so long, are gonna be under the guns...probably not a bad thing either.

Agreed. This isn't something that just goes away...it may never go away. I mean if you had a kid that was being recruited by D-1 schools and Penn State was one of them...would you send them there? I sure as heck wouldn't.

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 07:33 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36502
Donate
car.gif
I wouldn't call it a tragedy, it's a horrendous, disgusting scandal that really should shame everyone in charge in State College into resigning.

As for Paterno, he probably met the legal minimum for his responsibilities but I have a lot of issues with him.

If he knew this guy for 30 years, why didn't he go and confront him, discuss it with him?

Paterno isn't simply 'head football coach', he's the figurehead for the university itself. He's the most recognizable figure there and I don't doubt that he knows the weight that his actions (and inactions) carry.

Good luck in recruiting. If Paterno or anyone else from the PSU staff shows up at a recruit's house I hope the parents throw them out. The old "we'll treat your son like family" sure rings hollow now.

This is gonna cost PSU and the state of Pennsylvania millions and millions of $. Imagine the number of children that could have been saved from this pedophile if Paterno and the rest of the folks at PSU had did more than the bare minimum to see what was going on 9 years ago.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 08:43 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 9377
Donate
pit.gif
joepa and the other guys did what was legally required of them. they didn't do what was morally required of them. sandusky will be the only one going to jail.

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 09:09 
Moderatorbaiter

Sand$: 8398
Donate
dal.gif
http://www.fantasysharks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=278383

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 09:30 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7919
Donate
jax.gif
As a lifelong fan of PSU and Paterno, if they let him coach again that is pathetic.

You don't call the cops hearing that stuff? You let that monster run your buildings for another 10+yrs?

No excuse, Joe Pa see you later.

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 09:59 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 20358
Donate
phi.gif
As a 2nd generation PSU alumni...I was horrified and saddened to hear about this. Paterno could and should have done more than just alert the administration. I can't figure out why he said and did nothing when Sandusky was not led out in handcuffs the following week after he met with the AD.

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 10:02 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
hou2.gif
hankrip wrote:
As a lifelong fan of PSU and Paterno, if they let him coach again that is pathetic.

You don't call the cops hearing that stuff? You let that monster run your buildings for another 10+yrs?

No excuse, Joe Pa see you later.

Kudos to you for seeing the big picture and not being blinded by fandom. I hope all Penn State people can do the same. There is no excuse. I read the Grand Jury report...I kind of wish I didn't.

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 11:26 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
jokerswild1130 wrote:
As a 2nd generation PSU alumni...I was horrified and saddened to hear about this. Paterno could and should have done more than just alert the administration. I can't figure out why he said and did nothing when Sandusky was not led out in handcuffs the following week after he met with the AD.
Administration's duties. Don't blame Joepa for doing what is mandated.

Hell, no one even knows whats what yet as all anyone has on this as far as I've heard as late as this morning is a bunch of speculative banter from drama queens at this point. All I'm saying. Its a horrible act if its all true or the severity of it is as terrible as its being reported.. as it is waaaay too many ifs yet.

Its a crazy issue but I find it hilarious people blaming someone else for something another did after said person apparently reported it to his authoritative body.. f'd up

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 11:27 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 7037
Donate
pit.gif
My son's a senior at PSU and we were talking last night. This has definitely caused a lot of people including the students to not feel good about being associated with Penn State right now.

This story has a long way to go before all of the facts come out and it's probably going to get even uglier, if that's even possible.

As far as Paterno goes, he's not going to be back next year. Whether he steps down now which he should, gets fired etc. is down the totem pole in terms of the crisis management decisions the Trustees are dealing with right now including whether the President needs to be axed. The subject of whether the university is in some way liable from a civil suit etc. from any one of the families hasn't even come up yet.

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 11:35 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 9906
Donate
kc.gif
How the hell could these people sleep at night or even look at themselves in the mirror. You have a child predator in your midst, and you do nothing?

My mistake, you kicked it up the ladder, and they did nothing.
...and then you ask no follow up questions...ever

This has to be the worst sports related scandal I can think of. The only thing close, is the Patrick Dennehy murder at Baylor.

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 11:36 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
hou2.gif
birddog wrote:
jokerswild1130 wrote:
Administration's duties. Don't blame Joepa for doing what is mandated.

Hell, no one even knows whats what yet as all anyone has on this as far as I've heard as late as this morning is a bunch of speculative banter from drama queens at this point. All I'm saying. Its a horrible act if its all true or the severity of it is as terrible as its being reported.. as it is waaaay too many ifs yet.

Its a crazy issue but I find it hilarious people blaming someone else for something another did after said person apparently reported it to his authoritative body.. f'd up

Have you read the Grand Jury report? I posted a link of it in the thread in College Football forum.

PostPosted: Tue 11.08.2011, 11:41 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
no I haven't. I'll make my way in there and take a look

thnx LV

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 62  Next