FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 09.02.2014, 11:41

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri 02.10.2012, 10:56 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13336
Donate
dal.gif
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ja ... NTCMP=SRCH

1. I think theres no need to have officers patrol school yards
2. "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Fri 02.10.2012, 11:31 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 8538
Donate
oak.gif
That 2nd quote is amusing, coming from a speech-stifling German.

PostPosted: Fri 02.10.2012, 11:52 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 12690
Donate
buf.gif
wt.f is the canteen floor? stupid Europeans.

PostPosted: Fri 02.10.2012, 11:59 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 29856
Donate
dal.gif
On any given school day in my city 25% of the total police force is inside of a school about 50% of the on-duty officers. Sure they will write a 10 year old a ticket for cussing, but just try to get one to write an accident report when someone runs a redlight and hits your car.

PostPosted: Fri 02.10.2012, 12:01 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 12690
Donate
buf.gif
we had a police officer stationed at each school in our area for like 20 years.

PostPosted: Fri 02.10.2012, 12:06 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 115278
Donate
min.gif
Needs are there in certain areas but I've heard some ridiculous chit that police should never been involved or bothered with.

Get 'em in the system young and create revenue by claiming "public trouble/threat" in the name of safety :roll:

justified waste in many cases

PostPosted: Fri 02.10.2012, 22:30 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 19068
Donate
atl.gif
police do not need to be in schools full-time period. If the schools administration cannot handle the children enrolled then the school needs better administration.

An occasional drug dog I'm fine with. Full-time on duty officers is ridiculous

PostPosted: Fri 02.10.2012, 23:20 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8180
Donate
det.gif
I went to my sons first basketball game last night at his grade school. No police, no security guards. Just some coaches, teachers and a lot of moms, dads, brothers and sisters.
It's a racially diverse school in what some people may think is a bad neighborhood based on racial demographics.

When we go play a team in the suburbs next week, I guarantee there will be uniformed officers and security guards.

PostPosted: Fri 02.10.2012, 23:57 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
atl.gif
speaking of school systems getting worse.

I sent a customer who works in administration of a public school an excel spreadsheet and asked her to edit the document with the necessary changes she needed me to make.

Her reply came hours later which read. "I cannot figure out how to "edit" your document so here are the changes that need to be made" and she proceeded to list the changes in the email instead of in the document.

While it did not matter to me that she listed them in the email instead of the document I could not help but think that this person who we entrust to educate our children does not have the necessary skills to make changes in the most basic of computer applications.

How does one work in the public education system and not know how to use Excel in it's most basic of forms. I mean I wasn't asking her to make major calculation and formulas using excel. All she had to do was point, click type, save, & send.

:F

PostPosted: Sat 02.11.2012, 00:14 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 73643
Donate
kc.gif
Crackhead Bob wrote:

I sent a customer who works in administration of a public school an excel spreadsheet and asked her to edit the document with the necessary changes she needed me to make.

Her reply came hours later which read. "I cannot figure out how to "edit" your document so here are the changes that need to be made" and she proceeded to list the changes in the email instead of in the document.

While it did not matter to me that she listed them in the email instead of the document I could not help but think that this person who we entrust to educate our children does not have the necessary skills to make changes in the most basic of computer applications.

How does one work in the public education system and not know how to use Excel in it's most basic of forms. I mean I wasn't asking her to make major calculation and formulas using excel. All she had to do was point, click type, save, & send.

Perhaps she didn't have Excel and could view, but not edit, the doc.

PostPosted: Sat 02.11.2012, 00:18 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 6817
Donate
gb.gif
jdhowlett wrote:
Crackhead Bob wrote:

Perhaps she didn't have Excel and could view, but not edit, the doc.

That seems likely.

PostPosted: Sat 02.11.2012, 00:27 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
atl.gif
Speaking with her on the phone I got the distinct impression that that was not the case.

While it may have been what happened, I doubt it.

PostPosted: Sat 02.11.2012, 00:30 

Sand$: 96199
Donate
Teachers are paid poor salaries. Many potentially good teachers will choose a different profession because of $. Teachers are given raises largely based on student performance. Incentive to just do what you have to do to get grades high. Admin at most schools have been cut so thin I'm amazed some even function. Parents these days act like their kids walk on water, if a problem arises blame the teacher. Teachers don't want to stir the pot with parents because that is something they're also evaluated on, even if it's not on paper. This creates a bad work enviornment. Bad work environment + poor salay + poor admin support = why am I doing this for a living?

The education system in this country is awful and barring a major overhaul I don't see that changing anytime soon. We're stuffing money away for private school and hoping for the best. Personally I hate it because I think public school was much more beneficial to me growing up but our local school district is a zoo. Sell and move? Well, yea, on the table but we have a helluva deal on our house and it isn't really a seller's market now or anytime soon. Trade off, pay for private school. It's too bad no one trusts gov't to efficiently use public service jobs and they can't create a system that works because the good ones would make this work and would be fairly compensated for the work they do. As is, no chance.

I know Cleveland's in a worse spot than most, but I also know most places are a lot closer to us than they away from it.

PostPosted: Sat 02.11.2012, 00:42 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 34180
Donate
car.gif
OarChambo wrote:
Teachers are paid poor salaries. Many potentially good teachers will choose a different profession because of $. Teachers are given raises largely based on student performance. Incentive to just do what you have to do to get grades high. Admin at most schools have been cut so thin I'm amazed some even function. Parents these days act like their kids walk on water, if a problem arises blame the teacher. Teachers don't want to stir the pot with parents because that is something they're also evaluated on, even if it's not on paper. This creates a bad work enviornment. Bad work environment + poor salay + poor admin support = why am I doing this for a living?

The education system in this country is awful and barring a major overhaul I don't see that changing anytime soon. We're stuffing money away for private school and hoping for the best. Personally I hate it because I think public school was much more beneficial to me growing up but our local school district is a zoo. Sell and move? Well, yea, on the table but we have a helluva deal on our house and it isn't really a seller's market now or anytime soon. Trade off, pay for private school. It's too bad no one trusts gov't to efficiently use public service jobs and they can't create a system that works because the good ones would make this work and would be fairly compensated for the work they do. As is, no chance.

I know Cleveland's in a worse spot than most, but I also know most places are a lot closer to us than they away from it.

Investigate charter/magnet schools as an option if possible. My daughter attends one here. Much higher discipline requirements (knuckleheads are punted back to regular school) and curriculum is more advanced.

Course with 2 teachers recently filing $12M lawsuit for wrongful termination maybe the school won't be here long. :F

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Sat 02.11.2012, 01:05 

Sand$: 96199
Donate
Your charter schools are miles better than ours then. Sure, there's a couple of diamonds in the rough but there's canyons full of garbage to sift through to try to find them. All our charter schools care about is the bottom line. I could go on for pages about how awful ours are...I'll isolate one incident from the school my wife taught at for one miserable year. A 3rd grader who already had been a repeat discipline problem cussed out one teacher because he 'fel dizreezpectid,' then chucked text books at one that intervened, and eventually broke another teacher's nose when he wrestled him to the ground to contain him.

Kid spent the rest of that day (a little over an hour) in detention. And that's it. Because the school doesn't want to lose him because then they lose his revenue.

Disgusting.

And sadly that's how most others here are run too.