FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 07.29.2014, 15:53

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Generators?
PostPosted: Sun 02.26.2012, 20:37 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Sat 11.11.2006, 17:13
Posts: 2248
Sand$: 3466
Donate
Location: Western Washington
dal.gif
I'm looking to purchase one for my house. The recent Ice Storm convinced me that I need one.
Just looking for some advice on what to buy. I'm trying to stay around $500. I would love to have my whole house dialed in, but I may be stretching for that price. I've heard that the furnace is not usually able to function unless I spend a lot more.
Unfortunately, I have no natural gas where I'm at, so everything is electric.
Any advice or links would be helpful. I'm sure some of you have experience with them.
Thanks!

_________________
Remembering Sean Vostinar aka CleffedUp
RIP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Sun 02.26.2012, 21:07 
Offline
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Wed 10.26.2005, 14:02
Posts: 33313
Sand$: 14478
Donate
Location: Way down, below the ocean
chi.gif
Well, if you intend to be able to use it to heat your home, a typical electric furnace would be in the ~20kW range. A 20kW generator runs about $4-5K.

If you don't intend to run a furnace, the requirements and price drop off a lot.

_________________
To sleep, perchance to Dream; Aye, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Sun 02.26.2012, 21:50 
Offline
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Wed 10.26.2005, 14:02
Posts: 33313
Sand$: 14478
Donate
Location: Way down, below the ocean
chi.gif
If you live in a warm climate, have a heat pump, and/or a smallish home, the capacity could be a lot lower....

_________________
To sleep, perchance to Dream; Aye, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Sun 02.26.2012, 22:13 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Sat 11.11.2006, 17:13
Posts: 2248
Sand$: 3466
Donate
Location: Western Washington
dal.gif
In the Northwest. Furnace isn't a necessity. I can use space heaters.

_________________
Remembering Sean Vostinar aka CleffedUp
RIP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Sun 02.26.2012, 22:16 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Sat 11.15.2003, 12:43
Posts: 11220
Sand$: 56807
Donate
Location: Sweet Virginia Breeze
sf.gif
kauzimoto wrote:
I'm looking to purchase one for my house. The recent Ice Storm convinced me that I need one.
Just looking for some advice on what to buy. I'm trying to stay around $500. I would love to have my whole house dialed in, but I may be stretching for that price. I've heard that the furnace is not usually able to function unless I spend a lot more.
Unfortunately, I have no natural gas where I'm at, so everything is electric.
Any advice or links would be helpful. I'm sure some of you have experience with them.
Thanks!

For $500, you're looking at something like this
Image

I've actually got a portable. 5500 watt with 7000 watt surge which I keep out in the shed. When needed, I run cords to the house. It'll run our 2 refrigerator/freezers, a small TV, fans (if needed), and the microwave or a small window AC unit. We have propane logs in the fireplace for heat...no natural gas close by...which will heat our downstairs very well.

I've looked into getting a whole-house generator but just haven't seen the need, yet.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Sun 02.26.2012, 22:46 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Sat 11.11.2006, 17:13
Posts: 2248
Sand$: 3466
Donate
Location: Western Washington
dal.gif
dmcduke wrote:
kauzimoto wrote:
I'm looking to purchase one for my house. The recent Ice Storm convinced me that I need one.
Just looking for some advice on what to buy. I'm trying to stay around $500. I would love to have my whole house dialed in, but I may be stretching for that price. I've heard that the furnace is not usually able to function unless I spend a lot more.
Unfortunately, I have no natural gas where I'm at, so everything is electric.
Any advice or links would be helpful. I'm sure some of you have experience with them.
Thanks!

For $500, you're looking at something like this
Image

I've actually got a portable. 5500 watt with 7000 watt surge which I keep out in the shed. When needed, I run cords to the house. It'll run our 2 refrigerator/freezers, a small TV, fans (if needed), and the microwave or a small window AC unit. We have propane logs in the fireplace for heat...no natural gas close by...which will heat our downstairs very well.

I've looked into getting a whole-house generator but just haven't seen the need, yet.



I have a fireplace. This looks like what I'm looking for. I'd like to have it accessible to the box, which is in the garage. The fridge and light are the next important things.

_________________
Remembering Sean Vostinar aka CleffedUp
RIP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Sun 02.26.2012, 23:17 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Sat 09.27.2008, 12:48
Posts: 8337
Sand$: 11517
Donate
Location: Hangin' with A-Rod at Lambeau
gb.gif
These are about double what you're looking to spend, but they're the best in the biz.

http://www.generac.com/residential/sizer/

_________________
This is my clever signature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Sun 02.26.2012, 23:33 
Online
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Wed 09.10.2003, 14:20
Posts: 31841
Sand$: 12572
Donate
buf.gif
for a portable generator, nothing beats a honda in terms of quietness as far as we've found. they run forever too.

_________________
currently consulting my FF appraiser/advisor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Mon 02.27.2012, 08:29 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Tue 09.06.2005, 10:44
Posts: 14895
Sand$: 9053
Donate
Location: City of Champions
pit.gif
i have a craftsman 5kw generator. just used it friday night when the power was out from 3pm to 3am. i just run extension cords to the fridge, space heater, and tv/lights.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Mon 02.27.2012, 10:56 
Offline
Moderatorbaiter
User avatar

Joined: Sun 07.10.2005, 07:33
Posts: 23588
Sand$: 9740
Donate
Location: Aggieland
dal.gif
Two tips...

Don't run it in your house. Lot's of people die from doing this. Happens every time a hurricane hits along the gulf coast.

When you use it, lock it down good. Desperate people will do whatever they can to steal it. When hurricane Rita took out power around Houston for weeks, generators were worth their weight in gold. People were jumping fences, cutting chains, and stealing them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Mon 02.27.2012, 11:15 
Online
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Wed 09.10.2003, 14:20
Posts: 31841
Sand$: 12572
Donate
buf.gif
StoneCutter wrote:
Don't run it in your house. Lot's of people die from doing this. Happens every time a hurricane hits along the gulf coast.


i'm completely blown away that this is something you'd have to tell someone. but then when i think about it, i guess i'm not really that blown away at all.

_________________
currently consulting my FF appraiser/advisor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Mon 02.27.2012, 13:09 
Offline
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Tue 09.06.2005, 07:51
Posts: 29131
Sand$: 114178
Donate
Location: where the red furn grows
min.gif
I've heard some dandy situations up here like that. unreal crap people will do.

_________________
"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Mon 02.27.2012, 19:05 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Sat 11.11.2006, 17:13
Posts: 2248
Sand$: 3466
Donate
Location: Western Washington
dal.gif
HurricaneNamedDitka wrote:
StoneCutter wrote:
Don't run it in your house. Lot's of people die from doing this. Happens every time a hurricane hits along the gulf coast.


i'm completely blown away that this is something you'd have to tell someone. but then when i think about it, i guess i'm not really that blown away at all.

I agree. I just bring my grill inside and fire up the bricketts!

_________________
Remembering Sean Vostinar aka CleffedUp
RIP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Mon 02.27.2012, 19:10 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Sat 11.15.2003, 12:43
Posts: 11220
Sand$: 56807
Donate
Location: Sweet Virginia Breeze
sf.gif
StoneCutter wrote:
Two tips...

Don't run it in your house. Lot's of people die from doing this. Happens every time a hurricane hits along the gulf coast.

When you use it, lock it down good. Desperate people will do whatever they can to steal it. When hurricane Rita took out power around Houston for weeks, generators were worth their weight in gold. People were jumping fences, cutting chains, and stealing them.

Good advice. Actually, don't run it anywhere near the house especially near open windows or in an attached garage. I just leave mine in the shed, a good 50 feet from the house, with the door and window open. It also muffles the noise so I don't annoy the neighbors.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Generators?
PostPosted: Mon 02.27.2012, 19:17 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Sat 11.11.2006, 17:13
Posts: 2248
Sand$: 3466
Donate
Location: Western Washington
dal.gif
I have nice secure place for it right outside my garage. We don't lose power often, but it really sucks when we do.

_________________
Remembering Sean Vostinar aka CleffedUp
RIP


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HurricaneNamedDitka, neal123454, palmerac, Taglos, The Dragon and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group