FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Fri 11.21.2014, 15:22

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Classic Toys
PostPosted: Fri 03.16.2012, 16:55 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 86244
Donate
stl.gif
dedela wrote:
imyourhuckleberry wrote:
One thing I used to love to do was get the "Wish Book" when it came in the mail each year and pick out all of the toys I wanted. For some of you younger guys the "Wish Book" was the Sears catalog that came out each year. It was about the size of a large phone book and had pictures and descriptions of just about anything you can imagine to buy in it. You would then mail order items out of it. There was always a very large section of it devoted to toys and that is where I would see most of the stuff I wanted for Christmas. I would mark the pages where the items I wanted were and then circle the items so my Mom could easily see what they were.

I'm not sure when they stopped printing and sending out the Sears catalog, anyone know?

I'm your Huckleberry

According to their site:

Reflecting modern trends in retailing, the company decided to stop producing the general catalog in 1993. While Sears no longer issues the Big Book Catalog, the company continues offering many specialty catalogs including the Christmas Wish Book, and catalogs for tools, auto accessories, home improvements, clothing, and even Barbie collectibles. Today Sears is moving into the electronic age by offering Sears Direct services. This gives the customer the opportunity to order items through the Shop at Home catalog concept featuring an on-line Wish Book, and an on-line site for Craftsman tools and parts.

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/history.htm

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/history_wishbook.htm

FYI elven on the site they list where you can get copies of old catalogs. :D

Thanks dede. It had been a long time since I had even thought about the Wish Book.

I'm your Huckleberry

PostPosted: Fri 03.16.2012, 17:13 
Honorary Megalodon

Sand$: 15606
Donate
sf.gif
imyourhuckleberry wrote:
dedela wrote:
imyourhuckleberry wrote:
One thing I used to love to do was get the "Wish Book" when it came in the mail each year and pick out all of the toys I wanted. For some of you younger guys the "Wish Book" was the Sears catalog that came out each year. It was about the size of a large phone book and had pictures and descriptions of just about anything you can imagine to buy in it. You would then mail order items out of it. There was always a very large section of it devoted to toys and that is where I would see most of the stuff I wanted for Christmas. I would mark the pages where the items I wanted were and then circle the items so my Mom could easily see what they were.

I'm not sure when they stopped printing and sending out the Sears catalog, anyone know?

I'm your Huckleberry

According to their site:

Reflecting modern trends in retailing, the company decided to stop producing the general catalog in 1993. While Sears no longer issues the Big Book Catalog, the company continues offering many specialty catalogs including the Christmas Wish Book, and catalogs for tools, auto accessories, home improvements, clothing, and even Barbie collectibles. Today Sears is moving into the electronic age by offering Sears Direct services. This gives the customer the opportunity to order items through the Shop at Home catalog concept featuring an on-line Wish Book, and an on-line site for Craftsman tools and parts.

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/history.htm

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/history_wishbook.htm

FYI elven on the site they list where you can get copies of old catalogs. :D

Thanks dede. It had been a long time since I had even thought about the Wish Book.

I'm your Huckleberry

I loved the Sears catalogs. My family was like yours. There are 7 of us spread out throughout the country. We would have the kids pick out what they wanted and then select what they needed and then just let each other know what to buy. It sure made shopping easy back then.

PostPosted: Fri 03.16.2012, 17:59 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 60449
Donate
dedela wrote:
I loved the Sears catalogs. My family was like yours. There are 7 of us spread out throughout the country. We would have the kids pick out what they wanted and then select what they needed and then just let each other know what to buy. It sure made shopping easy back then.

I remember staring and staring at all the catalogs from like 67 to 78 growing up and just hoping to get what I wanted, which I pretty much did. I've looked through a lot of these and can't seems to find a cheap azz metal detector I got somewhere from '74 - '76. I mean, I see some metal detectors just not the one I got.

Man do these bring back some major memories. Great times, great thread.

PostPosted: Fri 03.16.2012, 18:45 
Honorary Megalodon

Donate
sf.gif
WHO wrote:
dedela wrote:

I remember staring and staring at all the catalogs from like 67 to 78 growing up and just hoping to get what I wanted, which I pretty much did. I've looked through a lot of these and can't seems to find a cheap azz metal detector I got somewhere from '74 - '76. I mean, I see some metal detectors just not the one I got. Man do these bring back some major memories. Great times, great thread.

ya might wanna ask elven, I understand he is well versed in them and he still has all of the catalogs.

PostPosted: Fri 03.16.2012, 19:57 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
dedela wrote:
WHO wrote:
dedela wrote:

I remember staring and staring at all the catalogs from like 67 to 78 growing up and just hoping to get what I wanted, which I pretty much did. I've looked through a lot of these and can't seems to find a cheap azz metal detector I got somewhere from '74 - '76. I mean, I see some metal detectors just not the one I got. Man do these bring back some major memories. Great times, great thread.

ya might wanna ask elven, I understand he is well versed in them and he still has all of the catalogs.

I cannot tell a lie....I got stuck on the pages elven referred to a few pages ago...year round. I thought I was the only one but as it turns out, it seems most dudes were clever at an early age.

PostPosted: Fri 03.16.2012, 20:17 
Honorary Megalodon

Donate
sf.gif
WHO wrote:
dedela wrote:
WHO wrote:
dedela wrote:

I cannot tell a lie....I got stuck on the pages elven referred to a few pages ago...year round. I thought I was the only one but as it turns out, it seems most dudes were clever at an early age.

okay...is CLEVER the word ya wanna use?.....really?.... :D :hello2:

PostPosted: Fri 03.16.2012, 20:50 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 75857
Donate
kc.gif
JimHart wrote:

I still have one of these. Took it to work one time along with a potato. Loads of fun. Did I mention I work in a secure nuclear facility?

PostPosted: Fri 03.16.2012, 21:47 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
dedela wrote:
WHO wrote:
dedela wrote:
WHO wrote:
dedela wrote:

okay...is CLEVER the word ya wanna use?.....really?.... :D :hello2:

Clever = :sign12:

PostPosted: Sun 03.18.2012, 10:27 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 2468
Donate
I owned a few of these as a kid in the 70's early 80's, but the following are the ones I remember quite fondly.

Mattel's handhelds were the popular toy of its kind back then, I had baseball & soccer, but they were mostly 1 player only toys. These other handhelds provided me & my brothers with hours of fun as you could go head to head on them.

Image Image
Image Image

I loved construction toys. There was a brand called TENTE, I'm not sure it was available in the U.S, I think it might have been european. My favorites were the Sea Ships & the Space lines.
Image Image
Some other fantastic construction toys from my childhood were the EXIN West line & the Castle line.

Image Image

This game was called Chuta Gol (I would have thought it was called Shoot On Goal in english but no, It was called Super Striker)

At 5 or 6 years old we spent Christmas in the U.S. visiting family. I got this toy and it was a favorite for a long time. My first Tonka:

And to wrap things up this last toy, still amazed at how much fun me & my older brother got out of it. It was the toy of choice for long road trips.

This is a great thread. Thank you for it.

PostPosted: Sun 03.18.2012, 11:19 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 53858
Donate
ari.gif

PostPosted: Mon 03.19.2012, 08:25 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 2760
Donate
dal.gif

PostPosted: Mon 03.19.2012, 11:38 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 53858
Donate
ari.gif

PostPosted: Mon 03.19.2012, 12:36 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3202
Donate
cle.gif
elven wrote:
+
+

LMAO... =D>

PostPosted: Tue 03.20.2012, 15:05 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 16435
Donate
bal.gif

Captain America:Winter Soldier 9/10
X-Men:Days of Future Past 9/10
How to Train your Dragon 2 9/10
Edge of Tomorrow 8/10
Godzilla 7/10
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 7/10

PostPosted: Thu 03.22.2012, 21:05 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 14658
Donate
chi.gif
Not really a "toy", but who else had all of these?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next