Do you commute?

Megalodon
Sand$: 21,787.10
I have an opportunity presented to me that I am considering that is a pretty hefty commute. About an hour each way. Short term, money will be more or less the same, long term it's a hefty increase.

I've been asked to take over my current position 70 miles north, all highway driving... and when the general manager retires in the near future that would be my position.

So, anyone commute that sort of time each way? About an hour each way.

Megalodon
Sand$: 59,961.42
Only 20 minutes each way for me. Two hours driving each day is quite a sacrifice. That's like 10 hours of overtime per week. If you indeed became the GM, would you move closer? If so, the short term hassle would probably be worth it. If not, that "heafty increase" better be >>>> than 10 hours per week.
Sand$: 105,298.48
It wore on me, especially in winter and traffic tie ups due to accidents. I have only done it once since and I negotiated 7-330 hours 4 days/week in large part to try and get around it. I worked 9-7 the other day. It was better, but I still found myself needing to.sacrifice things from my life in order to make it work.

Follow me @mchamberlin32
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 35,719.38
The only way i'd do that would be if I were willing to soon after move closer to my job.

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount Saint Jackass" - Sean Baligian
Megalodon
I don't have full details, but yes GM pay is more than enough financially.

I can probably cut a few hours out here and there to cut down hours devoted to work as well from where I'm at with the new commute. I'm more concerned with the actual driving time, probably something you get used to?

Sand$: 105,298.48
und2006 wrote:I'm more concerned with the actual driving time, probably something you get used to?

I think a big factor is the stress levels associated with the job. Nothing worse than a long commute after that sort of day at work. Followed by the same long commute before you even get back to work again.

Follow me @mchamberlin32
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 15,123.92
I've done that sort of commute before and it's why I became a Sirius subscriber.

One time, the trip was about 75 miles, so it took right at an hour. The money was stupid-good so it softened the commute, which wasn't terrible since I went about 82 MPH the whole way.

The other time was only 26 miles but right thru the teeth of ATL top-end rush hour traffic. It often took longer than the 75-mile commute. I left this job for greener pastures and shorter commute 1.5 years in.

I now don't bother with a job opportunity unless the commute is decent. That last one above was soul-crushing. To get onto I-75N and see a sea of red lights and know that I'm not getting home for probably 90 minutes? Yeah, frig that.
Honorary Mod (powerless)
Sand$: 4,986.42
I used to commute over an hour, but my current one is about 45 min (sometimes an hour or longer). Being in Dallas, it takes that long to go 22 miles. Ugh.

I'll tell you what has made it really easy for me. Well, two things. First, not needing to be there right at 8:00 helps, so no stress if i get a late start or if traffic is abnormally bad. The second is Audible.

If you like to read, get Audible and listen to books in the car. Books cost about $9 each and if you get longer books, they will last you 2-3 weeks of driving. Time literally flies with a good book. I think i am up to about 40 books read this year. I can recommend some good ones with great readers.

I'll be happy to give you some Audible hints and advice if you decide to consider it.
Megalodon
Sand$: 40,298.88
I commuted and hour each way for my 1st two years in college, before cell phones. It is something you get accustomed to. It was all highway and never congested enough to slow traffic below the speed limit.

My current job has a 10 minute commute.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 22,170.66
I commute 45 minutes one way. It's not bad. Keep in mind here in Atlanta like many places, 45 minutes = 15 miles. I know many of my counterparts in CA have 1 to 3 hour commutes in heavy traffic.

To me that's the difference maker. Is it a stressful commute with heavy traffic or is it a leisurely drive?

I ride my Harley on the pretty days which means I enjoy taking the back roads and the long way to/from work.

Either way you do get used to it, but it can be a huge source of stress depending on the traffic.
Megalodon
Crackhead Bob wrote:I commute 45 minutes one way. It's not bad. Keep in mind here in Atlanta like many places, 45 minutes = 15 miles. I know many of my counterparts in CA have 1 to 3 hour commutes in heavy traffic.

To me that's the difference maker. Is it a stressful commute with heavy traffic or is it a leisurely drive?

I ride my Harley on the pretty days which means I enjoy taking the back roads and the long way to/from work.

Either way you do get used to it, but it can be a huge source of stress depending on the traffic.

I'm in North Dakota, it's 75 miles of not heavily travelled interstate highway.

Megalodon
Sand$: 40,298.88
Game on, drives like that are decompression time to me.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 93,879.17
gridguru wrote:I used to commute over an hour, but my current one is about 45 min (sometimes an hour or longer). Being in Dallas, it takes that long to go 22 miles. Ugh.

I'll tell you what has made it really easy for me. Well, two things. First, not needing to be there right at 8:00 helps, so no stress if i get a late start or if traffic is abnormally bad. The second is Audible.

If you like to read, get Audible and listen to books in the car. Books cost about $9 each and if you get longer books, they will last you 2-3 weeks of driving. Time literally flies with a good book. I think i am up to about 40 books read this year. I can recommend some good ones with great readers.

I'll be happy to give you some Audible hints and advice if you decide to consider it.

My commute is 45 min each way, and do books on cd most of the time, unless im listening to sports talk on a particularly interesting day. I get my Books on cd from library or get cheap ones when i see them at many various locations. Listening to books on tape are awesome.

My favorite recently was Threat Vector (Jack Ryan, Jr.): Tom Clancy. Ive done all the Jack reacher/Lee Child books, David Baldaci is a mega star imo..everything he has written is awesome.

ImageImage
Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,138.60
und2006 wrote:I don't have full details, but yes GM pay is more than enough financially.

I can probably cut a few hours out here and there to cut down hours devoted to work as well from where I'm at with the new commute. I'm more concerned with the actual driving time, probably something you get used to?

You definitely "get used to" it. But that's not necessarily a good thing. I have a friend who is used to coming home and his wife instantly beeatching at him :lol:

But yeah, if your vehicle can handle it and the money's (gonna be) real good, why not?

If ya got nothing to say, don't say it.
Honorary Megalodon
Sand$: 2.38
when I worked in NYC I had on average 1- 1 1/2 hr commute depending on traffic. I enjoyed quiet down time to myself. When I got a job less than 10 min from the house I really missed the longer commute. Good luck with the new job.