Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 2,618.14
I would like to know who enjoys going fishing, what their favorite species is and what the largest fish they ever landed was.

Do you fish from the bank or use a boat?
What kind of boat do you have?
Do you like fresh or saltwater fishing the best?

In the unlikely event someone is curious of my preferences; I like saltwater fishing with a passion. I like to drift the creeks in a jon boat for doormat flounder! I caught a 25” 5 ½ pounder one time that I stuffed with crab meat and devoured.

I like to crappie fish (beautiful species) and fish for catfish in High Rock Lake here in NC. When I was a teen, I was the local “carp master” as I fished the local Carp Ponds for the prize money. I caught a 25 pounder one time and a lot of cash in between. I used instant rice and ketchup compressed around a sugar pop threaded onto a number 2 hook. God only knows how many I have caught. Don’t fish for them anymore though.

Right now, I love catching the big Red Drums and Flounder the most. I lost a Red Drum over 40” last summer and I am still grieving over it. I may never get over the loss. I also go deep-sea fishing once a year in the Gulf Stream for Dolphin and Tuna. That is a hoot also but a little expensive for my taste.

I just like the water of any kind period. If I have a rod and reel with me to get wet then it is all that much better. I have spent 13 years of my 48 living either lake front or ocean front with a rod and reel in hand.

Talk to me.
Sand$: 15,001.44
I love the water 5x and IMO there is no better combination of salt/fresh water than right here in NC. I do all kinds of fishing. From going to the coast and jiggin for spanish makerel to riding to the pond and killing the bream.

However my favorite type of fishing is Bass fishing... I love it!

I have a 14 foot jon boat that I do most of my fresh water fishing in, and my uncle has a 25 foot Grady White that we take to sea.

Oh and I also love going down to the Santee for some cat fishing... go hit up the bream and throw them on a hook and let the big cats eat!

What kind of equipment do you use 5x?? My rods & reels are Abu Garcia or Shimano.

Megalodon
Sand$: 88,256.80
It is really good to see you in here 5X!

I do fish although I'm obviously not as avid a you. Mostly fly fish for trout with the biggest I have caught on a fly rod being a 6+ pound German Brown. I've caught a 10+ pound Rainbow from a lake on a spinner rod using a Rapala.

The biggest fish I have ever caught are Tuna from the Pacific Ocean out of San Diego and Silver salmon off the coast of Alaska out of Ketchikan. I'd really like to fish for Marlin someday but everytime I think I'm going to go and do it a hunting trip gets in the way and I am much more of a hunter than a fisherman.

I once caught a 2 pound Blue Gill out of a pond in Sothern Utah which is a huge Bluegill. I was 14 years old. My cousin and I weighed it on a mail scale because it was the biggest blue gill we had ever seen. We then ate it :lol: Much later I found out the state record blue gill is barely over one pound so I could have been the state record holder if I new any better :cry:

I'm your Huckleberry

Grid Guru....Man of the People!
Great White Shark
Sand$: 1,199.00

Great White Shark
Sand$: 6,195.00
Used to fish from shore, freshwater only here. I caught some big carp, (20#) bass, walleye, pike, cats, all kinds of perch, and panfish, even a bowfin once! Even pulled a few mudpuppies through the ice!

Down on vacay in SC, I rented a pole and fished off a pier. I caught a F-ing Conch shell. How the F does one catch a G.D. fricking shell??!!

Same vacation, went on a deep sea charter. Some red snapper, (Bro in law got a nice Dolphin) and I also somehow (only me) managed to catch a 3'moray eel. YUMMY! Then, I snagge danother, just as big. WTH??!!

DB

[color=#0040FF]Commish - StinkinBadgers League[/color]
Supreme Megalodon
Dukeman, what a perfect setup. I sure would love to have that Grady White in my yard. I could do some damage offshore with that rig. That Jon Boat is all a man needs to find happiness on the water. I have caught my best fish out of one. You are good to go, that is for sure! Thanks for the comment Dukeman.

Huck, that is a frigging monster bluegill. As soon as I read the size I thought to myself that had to be the state record and I read on to see that it was. That is something else as big trophy's like that don't come along but once in a lifetime. It would have made a pretty mount. Grats on landing that beauty! Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to comment Huck.

Warlust, I can't see that video until I get home from work. My player is on the blink here at work.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 9,773.17
Good stuff, 5X. I esp. liked the carp stories! I never did manage to snag one of those beasts but could totally picture your bait concoction when I read it. I with ya on catfishing. I used to go down to Santee-Cooper once/year and pull in 30# + blue cats on occasion and would love to sit on the shore of some lake on a warm summer night with a big piece of cutbait out there waiting for some cat to grab it.

Largest cat was a 34# blue. Largest bass was a 7.5 # largemouth. I never caught a bream (bluegill,whatever) the size of Huck's though - that's a trophy! Caught numerous 3+ # crappie out at Lake Wylie, one of the finest crappie fisheries in America. Every single time I see a Christmas tree, I STILL mentally measure how good of a brushpile it would make. Old habits, I guess. :lol:

Just reading stories like yours and HND's makes me want to go buy a boat and get back into it. Unfortunately, I'm a previous boat owner, having owned and sold a 1987 TourneyTX BassTracker so I kinda know how much $$ I'll end up throwing into it. :cry: For now, I'm confined to taking my kids to the shores of lake Allatoona and local ponds but heck, that's how I got started so it should do the trick.

Although 99% of my fishing was freshwater (due to geography), I did have 2 fantastic redfish experiences and have also pulled out a ton of flounder from the tidal backwaters around Murrells Inlet, SC. Good stuff, all of it.

OAK 34 PIT 31
Supreme Megalodon
Blzbba, the carp bait I use is simple. Take some minute rice (very important, must be instant rice) and pour about a ½ cup in a bowl. Take some Hunts Ketchup (Hunts smells the strongest) and pour just enough of it into to rice to slightly moisten it. Thread a sugar pop onto your hook. Take a good portion of the ‘loose’ rice and ketchup and spread out in the palm of your hand. Lay the sugar pop laden hook (just thread one of them on your hook) right in the middle. Make a fist and squeeze the rice mixture into a turd like ball around the sugar pop. It will be hard as a rock at first. You want it that way. Just add more ketchup if it doesn’t hold together.

It works like this: Of course an old Carp is a bottom feeding mudsucker. Once the rice ball hits the bottom, the instant rice starts absorbing the water and expands causing it to crumble up and scatter across the pond floor. The sugar pop is lying there in the middle of the rice. That old big Carp comes along and starts sucking up the tasty rice and ketchup he smelled from the other size of the pond and all of a sudden his lips hit that sugar pop, he pulls the hook up into his mouth, and bam, it’s on. Get ready to pick up a reel that is singing that beautiful song they do and fight that bastard to the bank.
HammerHead Shark
Sand$: 1,067.30
Good topic. HND will be posting quickly I'm sure.

I do a little of everything freshwater up her in WI. Some Bass, but they don't get too big around here, the good thing is most people around here consider them a pest and don't fish for sport unless it's Musky. Because of that you can catch a lot of them, they tend to be on the small side however.

Popper fishing for Bluegill, Crappie and Perch is lot of fun and there are tons to be had. Best eating IMO, better than Walleye, but most will argue that point.

Wisconsin River offers good Walleye and Sauger opportunity, although I don't get on it too often.

Nothern and Musky are fun to catch. Largest I've caught was a 25lb Musky on Pellican Lake. Caught it on a Bucktail in about 8 feet of water in August in a shallow bay that had a weed line dropping to about 15 feet. Trolled along the weeds with the Bucktail on it about 25 feet behind the boat. It now resides on my wall!

I want to get out on Lake Michigan for Lake Trout and Salmon, but I haven't had the chace yet.

Also do some ice fishing, but that's more for playing cards and drinking. Set tip ups, deal cards, drink booze, check tip ups with binaoculars, get on ATV, come back, repeat.
Last edited by kuhnmd1528 on Fri 03.27.2009, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 17,116.86
i currently am mainly a walleye and crappie guy.

i fish mainly rivers for walleye and fish for crappies out of various different areas.

i have a small jon boat that i don't use much as most of my fishing excursions are a few hours as i don't get a full day usually to get out.

i've been to alaska a few times during the coho run.

i haven't fished for catfish in years and we used to make our own stinkbait.

currently consulting my FF appraiser/advisor
Supreme Megalodon
These are some interesting responses. Gets me all worked up reading them. I guess I'll wet a line tomorrow now. LOL

kuhnmd, I think Crappie is about as tasty as they come. I love them expect the bones are a pain but that's ok. I would love to try to land a musky, pike or walleye. That was a sweet Musky you landed. I bet its a beautiful mount for sure.

Good luck to all you guys this fishing season. Here's hoping there is a bite just waiting on you. :)
Megalodon
Sand$: 31,462.02
I like to fish, but don't eat fish. So I like fishing bass mostly and Northern. I fish with my dad alot, and he eats them so we occasionally fish panfish and walleye.
They can have stream(trout) fishing with all the blackflies and mosquitos. :lol:
Bass and Northern I use artificial 90% of the time with plastic worms being my favorite lures.
I like to fish small inland lakes. We have a 12 and 14 foot boat.
I've never had any big trophies. 36 and1/2 on Northern. 22 on smallmouth. Don't even know what my biggest walleye and largemouth were. As kuhnmd mentioned, the bass up here aren't hogs like other areas of the country.
Sand$: 4,300.34
We used to just grab carp that were caught in the rocks on the rapids of the James River when I was in Jr. High. No rods or reels or bait needed. They'd go downriver to meet the carp chicks and then they'd get caught in pools when the river went down...easy picking.

Also used to fish for perch and pike at a local reservoir growing up. Used all sorts of things, but usually a regular hook on a cork with gummi worm chunks as bait...hauled in more perch than you could imagine...and a red and white spoon got the pike.

Biggest thing I ever caught was a snapping turtle that snagged the perch I was reeling in. Had to be as big around as a trash can lid. I cut the line rather than messing with that beast.

Went fishing in a lake in Minnesota and caught countless sunfish and a pretty damn big walleye I named "walter" after the fish in On Golden Pond. Didn't really weigh him or measure him, but he tasted like a slice of heaven.

I haven't been fishing in years, but now that my son is 5 I figure it's a good way to spend some time with him. We'll be getting some gear for my birthday and my brother in law can tell me where they're biting.
Last edited by Stankweasels 3000 on Fri 03.27.2009, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

Megalodon
Sand$: 31,462.02
Kind of a funny story on that smallmouth -

I took my little nephew out along the bank just to catch some little perch/sunfish, I think he was around 5 at the time. After each one he'd ask "Is that a perch/bluegill/sunfish etc. After like the 5th swallowed hook in a row, I said (what I thought was under my breath) You little c$%##@ter, to the fish. My nephew says "That's a c$%##@ter?" I couldn't stop laughing.

Anyway, it was windy and the wind threw my line over his. I just burned back the worm and bobber to get over the top of his line. That's when I got the 22 incher.
Sand$: 4,300.34
slyeguy wrote:Kind of a funny story on that smallmouth -

I took my little nephew out along the bank just to catch some little perch/sunfish, I think he was around 5 at the time. After each one he'd ask "Is that a perch/bluegill/sunfish etc. After like the 5th swallowed hook in a row, I said (what I thought was under my breath) You little c$%##@ter, to the fish. My nephew says "That's a c$%##@ter?" I couldn't stop laughing.

Anyway, it was windy and the wind threw my line over his. I just burned back the worm and bobber to get over the top of his line. That's when I got the 22 incher.

Hilarious!