FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Mon 04.21.2014, 00:30

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon 02.20.2012, 11:56 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 10441
Donate
gb.gif
Craphead wrote:
Texas has produced more NFL players all-time than any other state in the country

<insert completely baseless counter-comment here>

Facts to back up your claims?

This seems to say CA produces more. If you add in olden times, then you'd probably get more in the Northeast. You know.... the birthplace of the NFL.

How many of these QBs from Texas in the last 20 years would you consider successful?
Colt McCoy? Vince Young? Chris Simms? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon 02.20.2012, 13:45 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33365
Donate
car.gif
jnadke wrote:
Craphead wrote:
Texas has produced more NFL players all-time than any other state in the country

This seems to say CA produces more. If you add in olden times, then you'd probably get more in the Northeast. You know.... the birthplace of the NFL.

How many of these QBs from Texas in the last 20 years would you consider successful?

How 'bout GA, FL, LA, SC, MS, and AL talent shining through despite much smaller populations? :wink:

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a beetch.

PostPosted: Mon 02.20.2012, 20:44 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 28292
Donate
dal.gif
pwbowen wrote:
jnadke wrote:
Craphead wrote:

How 'bout GA, FL, LA, SC, MS, and AL talent shining through despite much smaller populations? :wink:

I believe Louisiana has the most NFL players per capita. CA currently has the most active players in the NFL, but TX has the most all-time. Out of +/- 28,000 NFL players, 2120 have been from Texas, and 2040 from Cali.

It's no secret that players from the University of Texas struggle making the transition from NCAAF to the NFL (Roy Williams, anyone?), despite having the second most winningest football program in the history of the NCAA. And you are right, players that do amazing things in NCAAF very rarely carry that success over to the NFL. Out of the 74 Heisman Trophy winners, I believe only 8 are in the Pro Football HOF.

I'm not saying QB rating is everything (I was actually very surprised that Cam's QB rating was as low as it is). I was just offering up that specific comparison for the sake of conversation as Colt and Cam are roughly the same age and both had very impressive careers at the NCAAF level. The point I was trying to make in a round-about way was that RG3 is a product of the the same conference as McCoy. McCoy threw for +3000 more yards, +50 more TDs, and rushed for around 10 less TD's than RG3. Again, stats aren't everything, and in a lot of cases, especially at the QB position, they are meaningless at the NCAAF level. McCoy has spent the majority of his NFL career running for his life. I personally think Cleveland would be better off drafting some protection for McCoy than drafting another QB, whether it be RG3, Tannehill, whoever. Montana in his prime would have issues in Cleveland.

PostPosted: Mon 02.20.2012, 21:47 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33365
Donate
car.gif
Craphead wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
jnadke wrote:
Craphead wrote:

I believe Louisiana has the most NFL players per capita. CA currently has the most active players in the NFL, but TX has the most all-time. Out of +/- 28,000 NFL players, 2120 have been from Texas, and 2040 from Cali.

It's no secret that players from the University of Texas struggle making the transition from NCAAF to the NFL (Roy Williams, anyone?), despite having the second most winningest football program in the history of the NCAA. And you are right, players that do amazing things in NCAAF very rarely carry that success over to the NFL. Out of the 74 Heisman Trophy winners, I believe only 8 are in the Pro Football HOF.

I'm not saying QB rating is everything (I was actually very surprised that Cam's QB rating was as low as it is). I was just offering up that specific comparison for the sake of conversation as Colt and Cam are roughly the same age and both had very impressive careers at the NCAAF level. The point I was trying to make in a round-about way was that RG3 is a product of the the same conference as McCoy. McCoy threw for +3000 more yards, +50 more TDs, and rushed for around 10 less TD's than RG3. Again, stats aren't everything, and in a lot of cases, especially at the QB position, they are meaningless at the NCAAF level. McCoy has spent the majority of his NFL career running for his life. I personally think Cleveland would be better off drafting some protection for McCoy than drafting another QB, whether it be RG3, Tannehill, whoever. Montana in his prime would have issues in Cleveland.

Well, actually Mississippi has the most per capita. :wink:

RG3 brings mobility to the game like Newton. That can help make up for some deficiencies in protection. I do have some concerns though that he's smaller than Newton and can't take as many hits. Newton did a good job this year of not getting into spots where he would get blasted. He'd take his rush yards and get down and not get hit whenever he could.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a beetch.

PostPosted: Wed 02.22.2012, 11:23 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 4701
Donate
pwbowen wrote:
Craphead wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
jnadke wrote:
Craphead wrote:

Well, actually Mississippi has the most per capita. :wink:

That's not bad for the fattest state of the Union.

PostPosted: Wed 02.22.2012, 12:00 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 9054
Donate
cle.gif
Craphead wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
jnadke wrote:
Craphead wrote:

yes :thumbright:

PostPosted: Wed 02.22.2012, 12:14 

Sand$: 41196
Donate
nyj.gif
jnadke wrote:
Fighting Amish wrote:
jesteva wrote:
Quote:
You have to stay the course with Mcoy, right or wrong he's shown promise and he's young, smart and passionate about winning at any cost.

Short..short..short..shorter passing game. Given the fact he is young with a poor line, zero running game with hillis out or ineffective all year using practice squad players to start at rb, wideouts who would never even make the starting lineup anywhere else, can't run patterns or get open, he did very well imo. Take the exceptional skill players right now..this year with the first 3 picks, grab a qb later, desperately need a rotational D-lineman and right tackle that doesnt grade out worst in the league anymore. Adding a qb early this year is a huge step backward.

The bottom line answer to me is yes, Mccoy is a winner, and I know he'll improve and develop. He's tenacious, smart, hard working and can make the throws with accuracy. That hasn't changed. He needs a little something around him and not the lowest ranked players at almost every position around him.

I see McCoy being about as successful as Chad Pennington. Ceiling.

McCoy is not the answer. I watched a few games last year, because I picked up Greg Little as a WR5 for a while. He may be a "leader", but he's no more a "player" than Tim Tebow.

Simply, he doesn't seem to have the reaction time (or skills), necessary to compete in the modern NFL. He consistently missed reads and left open receivers hanging. He also doesn't have an accurate deep ball to stretch the field. He's not the answer. He was a gamble at 3rd round (really should've been 5th+ round), and two miserable seasons is bad enough, the Browns deserve to lose if they let him on the reigns beyond a 3rd.

I think that's a good comparison.

I have my reservations on how good RGIII can be at the next level. Something tells me he's just a good college QB and will struggle to succeed and, probably more importantly, stay healthy with his size and style of play. The Browns are kind of stuck in no man's land on this one.

PostPosted: Wed 02.22.2012, 14:20 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 8898
Donate
pit.gif
Quote:
The Browns are kind of stuck in no man's land on this one.

I'm no Browns fan but I think that's a "glass half empty" way to look at it.

The positive way to view it is if they like RGIII, they can try and move up to get him or hope he falls to them at 4. They also have the option of pursuing likely free agent Matt Flynn if they happen to like him. I won't put Peyton Manning as an option as I don't think there's a fit there. It's also not out of the question that they move down and take Tannehill.

My point is that even if they've decided McCoy isn't the answer, they have options available to them (especially with 2 first rounders) and having options as opposed to not having them is always a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed 02.22.2012, 14:21 

Donate
nyj.gif
jesteva wrote:
Quote:
The Browns are kind of stuck in no man's land on this one.

I'm no Browns fan but I think that's a "glass half empty" way to look at it.

The positive way to view it is if they like RGIII, they can try and move up to get him or hope he falls to them at 4. They also have the option of pursuing likely free agent Matt Flynn if they happen to like him. I won't put Peyton Manning as an option as I don't think there's a fit there. It's also not out of the question that they move down and take Tannehill.

My point is that even if they've decided McCoy isn't the answer, they have options available to them (especially with 2 first rounders) and having options as opposed to not having them is always a good thing.

That's the one thing us Jets fans and Browns fans have in common. Well, that and Mangini. :(

You are correct, they do have some options. If I were them, I like the option of taking BPA at 4 then Tannehill if they think he can be a franchise QB.

PostPosted: Wed 02.22.2012, 14:32 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 18227
Donate
was.gif
there is a decent amount of chatter out here that if rg3 is available, the vikes take him.

no idea how real that is, but i think the chances of the brown getting a shot at him is slim to none.

On 10/3/08 Huckleberry wrote:

Something we can agree on DaKlute.

PostPosted: Wed 02.22.2012, 14:49 

Donate
nyj.gif
DaKlute wrote:
there is a decent amount of chatter out here that if rg3 is available, the vikes take him.

no idea how real that is, but i think the chances of the brown getting a shot at him is slim to none.

I heard that too, but I'd be surprised if Spielman gives up on Ponder this quickly

PostPosted: Wed 02.22.2012, 14:55 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 18227
Donate
was.gif
endzoneview wrote:
DaKlute wrote:

I heard that too, but I'd be surprised if Spielman gives up on Ponder this quickly

yeah, same.

but there is the school of thought that qb are like cigarettes in prison - you want as many as you can get so you can get something else.

i wouldn't be surprised to see him take rg3 - if available - just to create a market for him.

On 10/3/08 Huckleberry wrote:

Something we can agree on DaKlute.

PostPosted: Wed 02.22.2012, 15:06 

Donate
nyj.gif
DaKlute wrote:
endzoneview wrote:
DaKlute wrote:

yeah, same.

but there is the school of thought that qb are like cigarettes in prison - you want as many as you can get so you can get something else.

i wouldn't be surprised to see him take rg3 - if available - just to create a market for him.

That would be ballsy and a great idea. Two things Spielman has never had.

PostPosted: Wed 02.22.2012, 15:23 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 5506
Donate
car.gif
not sure if this is his first endorsement deal or not, but he signed with adidas.
Quote:
PORTLAND, Ore., Feb. 21, 2012 -- /PRNewswire/ -- adidas today announced a partnership with 2011 Heisman Trophy winner and top NFL Draft prospect quarterback Robert Griffin III of Baylor University.

"adidas is a perfect fit for me," said Griffin III. "They are always focused on the athlete first and that's important for the way I play and the way I train. I'm excited to be part of the adidas family."
"Robert Griffin III is an athlete first and we respect everything he brings to the game," said David Baxter, vice president of Sport Performance for adidas America. "His team player mentality, strong leadership on and off the field and genuine character combined with explosive and dominant athleticism make him a perfect fit for our brand. He's clearly a great football player but, importantly, he's a great athlete."
Griffin III will be featured in a variety of adidas marketing initiatives this year and will play a role in the development of football, running and training apparel and footwear, including the lightest in class adizero collection.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/21/427941 ... rylink=cpy

new commercial that is getting released this weekend for the combine(?)

and while on the topic of new ads, here's newton's new one with UA

anyone know if luck has anything lined up?

PostPosted: Wed 02.22.2012, 15:42 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 10441
Donate
gb.gif
Craphead wrote:

Are we doing this by college? Or birthplace? Your original statement mentioned college.

Now we're changing it to birthplace?

Your reference is suspect at best:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/f ... places.htm

1500 unkowns. If you're doing this all-time, you have to count the stuff before the 60's.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/

That one says Notre Dame nearly doubles the 2 main schools in Texas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next