Poll ended at Sat 02.04.2012, 22:42

Giants
47%
Patriots
53%

Total votes : 81
Great White Shark
Sand$: 34,681.58
It wasn't bush league...only 11 guys defended that play. 1 was running to get off. everyone who was paying attention to the broadcast saw that.
Great White Shark
By the way, if I'm the qb, down 4 points with 20 seconds left and the ball on my 40: if the defense tries to put 12 or 13 or more defenders in to waste my precious time, I'll just snap and spike the ball. Take the five yard penalty and burn 1 second off the clock. I'll take that all day.
Sand$: 797.93
KIAball1996 wrote:It wasn't bush league...only 11 guys defended that play. 1 was running to get off. everyone who was paying attention to the broadcast saw that.

I thought I was the only one who saw it this way.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 55,330.72
endzoneview wrote:
KIAball1996 wrote:It wasn't bush league...only 11 guys defended that play. 1 was running to get off. everyone who was paying attention to the broadcast saw that.

Maybe I'm wrong because I haven't paid that much attention, but I thought the conversation was more about how that's a rule that needs to be looked at--regardless of intent, the Pats lost crucial time on a defensive penalty. That doesn't seem right.

Buddy Ryan's play above shows that teams could have used it as a strategy in the past. It's certainly an issue when an illegal play is a sounder strategy than a legal one.

Bitter god of Monday morning
vonbearsalot wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong because I haven't paid that much attention, but I thought the conversation was more about how that's a rule that needs to be looked at--regardless of intent, the Pats lost crucial time on a defensive penalty. That doesn't seem right.

Buddy Ryan's play above shows that teams could have used it as a strategy in the past. It's certainly an issue when an illegal play is a sounder strategy than a legal one.

I've seen more replies saying that the Giants were smart for putting 12 players on defense.

Regardless, I agree, this will definitely be looked at by the Competition Committee this year.
Great White Shark
The qb should just spike the ball then. Take the five yards and lose one second instead of 9. If buddy ryan wants to allow that and give his opponent one play from the half yard line, so be it. Seems like a dumb plan to me.
KIAball1996 wrote:The qb should just spike the ball then. Take the five yards and lose one second instead of 9. If buddy ryan wants to allow that and give his opponent one play from the half yard line, so be it. Seems like a dumb plan to me.

Umm, Buddy Ryan isn't coaching any more. It was in his playbook, although I don't think it was ever employed.
Supreme Megalodon
KIAball1996 wrote:The qb should just spike the ball then. Take the five yards and lose one second instead of 9. If buddy ryan wants to allow that and give his opponent one play from the half yard line, so be it. Seems like a dumb plan to me.

Better one play from the 1/2 yard line than two plays from the 1 would be the attitude, I think. Like ezv mentioned, I don't know that it was ever employed, but it actually makes a lot of sense in a very specific situation.

And if they score from the 1 vs 13-14 players, they deserve to win I guess.

Great White Shark
endzoneview wrote:

Umm, Buddy Ryan isn't coaching any more. It was in his playbook, although I don't think it was ever employed.

No sh1t, sherlock.
KIAball1996 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

No sh1t, sherlock.

I had to make sure you weren't as dumb as your reply :action-smiley-070:

The only thing Buddy Ryan allows now is someone to change his diaper.
Great White Shark
endzoneview wrote:
KIAball1996 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

No sh1t, sherlock.

ad hominem :stupid:
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 12,137.12
KIAball1996 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:
KIAball1996 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

No sh1t, sherlock.

ad hominem :stupid:

No.
Supreme Megalodon
Actually the opposite.

Great White Shark
If no insult intended, then none taken.
I was just happy to finally use the Buddy Ryan/Kevin Gilbride emoticon.

:action-smiley-070: