FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 10.23.2014, 12:52

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gruden's QB Camp on ESPN
PostPosted: Wed 04.06.2011, 11:05 

Sand$: 56343
Donate
nyj.gif
Quote:
ESPN announced that Gruden will conduct film sessions with Ryan Mallett of Arkansas, Jake Locker of Washington, Andy Dalton of TCU, Cam Newton of Auburn and Blaine Gabbert of Missouri as part of an hour-long special that will air Thursday, April 21.

I really enjoyed last year's show and honestly, other than the 30 on 30 docs, this is the only thing worth watching on the evil four letter.

Week 8 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Wed 04.06.2011, 11:30 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 26
Donate
car.gif
I agree. I wasn't sure if they were doing it again this year, but this legit gave the most interesting look at incoming QB's that I'd seen. Most of the time you just hear this trained bs of being a gym rat and or being the first one in and the last one out of the locker room from the prospects, but Gruden didn't let the rookies dictate the show. I think this interview dropped Jimmy Clausen's draft stock the most.

PostPosted: Wed 04.06.2011, 13:54 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36510
Donate
car.gif
endzoneview wrote:
Quote:
ESPN announced that Gruden will conduct film sessions with Ryan Mallett of Arkansas, Jake Locker of Washington, Andy Dalton of TCU, Cam Newton of Auburn and Blaine Gabbert of Missouri as part of an hour-long special that will air Thursday, April 21.

I really enjoyed last year's show and honestly, other than the 30 on 30 docs, this is the only thing worth watching on the evil four letter.

It felt like a good bit of Gruden slurping from what I recall. I'll watch again to see how it is this year. I would hope there's a lot of brutal honesty but don't really expect it. Shock me, Gruden.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Wed 04.06.2011, 14:38 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15485
Donate
pwbowen wrote:
endzoneview wrote:
Quote:

It felt like a good bit of Gruden slurping from what I recall. I'll watch again to see how it is this year. I would hope there's a lot of brutal honesty but don't really expect it. Shock me, Gruden.

I dont think you can say he wasnt honest.... As for brutal? It was probably about as brutal as you can get shortly before a nationally televised event with the high profile guys. Gruden has alot of flaws but this wasnt too bad at all.

I'll not forget last year when Clausen threw his WR under the bus. Genius move, fella

In fact... Might want to rewatch that clip - from 1min onward, especially around 2mins onwards when he calls Clausen out and warns him about bad decisions and challenges him about it. He looked pretty insecure and uncomfortable throughout most of the final segment TBH. Id seen a few people not as high on Clausen at this point - but Gruden was the first guy i saw that vocally nailed some of the issues i had with him.

PostPosted: Fri 04.08.2011, 20:20 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 34
Donate
This should be good. And by that I mean, really really bad.

PostPosted: Sat 04.09.2011, 12:46 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 32258
Donate
oak.gif
Cam Newton - QB - Player

ESPN's Jon Gruden believes Cam Newton is the best player in the draft.
"I think Cam Newton's the best player in the country,'' the former head coach said after working Newton out on Friday for a T.V. special. "I agree with the Heisman Trophy people that gave him the award. He's got everything I'm looking for." Gruden has worked out almost all of the draft's top quarterback prospects this spring, including Blaine Gabbert, so his opinion is definitely a valid one. It's looking less and less likely Newton will not go No. 1 overall to the Panthers.

2010 & 2011 The Premier League Champion
2012 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion

PostPosted: Sun 04.10.2011, 12:08 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
SJSwarm wrote:
Cam Newton - QB - Player

ESPN's Jon Gruden believes Cam Newton is the best player in the draft.
"I think Cam Newton's the best player in the country,'' the former head coach said after working Newton out on Friday for a T.V. special. "I agree with the Heisman Trophy people that gave him the award. He's got everything I'm looking for." Gruden has worked out almost all of the draft's top quarterback prospects this spring, including Blaine Gabbert, so his opinion is definitely a valid one. It's looking less and less likely Newton will not go No. 1 overall to the Panthers.

Until hes worked out every position at every level i'll take his soundbite to mean "hes the best player in the country that i've actually worked out".

Which is probably also as much a statement about the QB class as a whole as Newton.

It'll make for some interestin viewing and will likely be one of the few football shows ill watch with the sound on from pre-combine to pre-draft.

PostPosted: Wed 04.20.2011, 08:02 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 38930
Donate
pit.gif
I didnt watch last year, but seems to me its pretty much a fluff show.
Basically gruden just shows the audience some thing negative to make it look like hes really go after them, then spends the rest of the show making out with the prospect.

Looking at some of the one with locker it almost seemed like locker was trying mostly not to laugh.

TE: Teams, Listed
Kicker: In
Def: Them

PostPosted: Wed 04.20.2011, 08:17 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 18031
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
watched them all last night. Was up to 4 am in the morning...Now I am tired. I enjoyed every one of them. Great concept and show.

Highlights. Daly sitting next to Mallet was priceless. Cam wins the show. What was your toughest play you guys ran. Cam say's " 36 " " They wrote it on a chalk Board from the sides"

Cam at Auburn in the huddle. Looks to the sides.

Cam: Oh crap, alright hear we go boy's 36. this is our toughest play stay sharp.

Cam break huddle.

Auburn Center at the line
Center: they Switch the D. We need to Audible Cam.
Cam: No can do the chalk board still say's 36.

PostPosted: Wed 04.20.2011, 08:26 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
rugger48 wrote:
Basically gruden just shows the audience some thing negative to make it look like hes really go after them, then spends the rest of the show making out with the prospect.

Looking at some of the one with locker it almost seemed like locker was trying mostly not to laugh.

So you think that the prospects agent & publicists would actively let their meal ticket go on a show that would be completely objective and realistic?

Cant say i think youd get many QB prospects willing to be belittled on national TV before the gravy train of an NFL draft comes along.

Im actually pleasntly surprised hes allowed to make any negative or disparaging points. The point or few points he does actually criticise them on are more valid than most, like asking Tebow "why shouldnt i play you as a FB" ("Because i can make plays with my arm", "Then why do i see you make the same play over and over again inside the 10yd line (plays VT of Tebow power-rush over the line). Clausen clip (a few posts above)? Id hardly call that a love-fest... sounds like pastoral advice rather than a love-in, to my ears anyway.

Havent had a chance to watch the new set yet, but like BDG im looking fwds to it.

Its a far from perfect format... Gruden will be far from the perfect host for some people... But - being realistic - its the best we're likely to get and as such if people prefer to dismiss it as "fluff"? All power to them - but its a pick of a mediocre bunch imo

PostPosted: Wed 04.20.2011, 08:35 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6168
Donate
phi.gif
wait this was last night?

change my avatar! vote now!

PostPosted: Wed 04.20.2011, 08:40 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
jamcutpost wrote:
rugger48 wrote:

So you think that the prospects agent & publicists would actively let their meal ticket go on a show that would be completely objective and realistic?
Cant say i think youd get many QB prospects willing to be belittled on national TV before the gravy train of an NFL draft comes along.

Im actually pleasntly surprised hes allowed to make any negative or disparaging points. The point or few points he does actually criticise them on are more valid than most, like asking Tebow "why shouldnt i play you as a FB" ("Because i can make plays with my arm", "Then why do i see you make the same play over and over again inside the 10yd line (plays VT of Tebow power-rush over the line). Clausen clip (a few posts above)? Id hardly call that a love-fest... sounds like pastoral advice rather than a love-in, to my ears anyway.

Havent had a chance to watch the new set yet, but like BDG im looking fwds to it.

Its a far from perfect format... Gruden will be far from the perfect host for some people... But - being realistic - its the best we're likely to get and as such if people prefer to dismiss it as "fluff"? All power to them - but its a pick of a mediocre bunch imo

Sorry if you dont like the review, but the short answer is,

No

reason he even bothers to criticise them at all is because he knows he will get criticise himself if he doesnt at least make it look good. then he spends the next couple days in the media trying to defend some of them. Watching locker trying not was my favorite part.

I get enough of gruden when he does MNF or whatever he does, this is the same thing just multiplied.

PostPosted: Wed 04.20.2011, 08:54 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
rugger48 wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:
rugger48 wrote:

No

reason he even bothers to criticise them at all is because he knows he will get criticise himself if he doesnt at least make it look good. then he spends the next couple days in the media trying to defend some of them. Watching locker trying not was my favorite part.

So you think Gruden only bothers with one point of criticism - as you suggest - so that he doesnt look bad?

Hate to break it to you but without rnd 1 prospects to interview he would have no show... And without agents approval they wouldnt appear.

No agent in the world with a client in the running for a 1st rnd pick would let their client fall out of a first round payday by letting them appear on national TV without very clear guidelines on what is and isnt out of bounds.

Naive to believe otherwise, but as you wish

Last edited by jamcutpost on Wed 04.20.2011, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed 04.20.2011, 08:55 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 18031
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
I will stand up for Gruden. I don't think Gruden is here to show the masses all the faults of the class of QB's coming in. He gives you a unique perspective in insight on where each one of these guys are at mentally. That is made clear through out the show.

Anyone who loves football as he would not tear a prospect appart. No purpose to that.

PostPosted: Wed 04.20.2011, 13:00 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
jamcutpost wrote:
rugger48 wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:
rugger48 wrote:

No

So you think Gruden only bothers with one point of criticism - as you suggest - so that he doesnt look bad?

Hate to break it to you but without rnd 1 prospects to interview he would have no show... And without agents approval they wouldnt appear.

No agent in the world with a client in the running for a 1st rnd pick would let their client fall out of a first round payday by letting them appear on national TV without very clear guidelines on what is and isnt out of bounds.

Naive to believe otherwise, but as you wish

Of course i dont believe that agents will let them go on a show if it was more critical, not sure why you need to keep stating that. Im only stating this is basically a fluff piece. Its not like its a revelation.