FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 11.01.2014, 00:31

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: QB Camp Battles
PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 15:00 

Sand$: 56755
Donate
nyj.gif
CARDINALS - Kolb vs. Skelton
ANALYSIS - Whisenhunt isn't going to make the same mistake twice and insert a quarterback into the starting lineup based on his contract (see Leinart vs. Warner 2007). Skelton led the Cardinals to 6 of their 8 wins last season and should have the upper hand over the less talented Kolb once training camp gets started.
PREDICTION: Skelton

DOLPHINS - Tannenhill vs. Moore vs. Garrard
ANALYSIS - We get to watch this battle unfold on HBO, so lucky us. While Philbin and the Dolphins are talking up competition, it's really Tannenhill's job to lose
PREDICTION: Tannenhill

SEAHAWKS - Flynn vs. Tavaris vs. Wilson
ANALYSIS - Flynn has the new big contract, Wilson has the upside and Tavaris is, well Tavaris. This team needs veteran leadership and Flynn should get the first crack, even though he only has three starts under his belt. However, I'd expect the leash to be a little shorter than usual if Wilson looks good during the pre-season
PREDICTION: Flynn

TITANS - Hasselbeck vs. Locker

ANALYSIS - Locker and Hass will be splitting work down the middle early in OTA's, but I suspect if Hasselbeck looks good and is healthy, the Titans will lean toward the veteran. Locker showed flashes, but another year of observation will do him some good
PREDICTION: Hasselbeck to start the season, Locker to take over midway

Week 9 Bets Posted

Post subject: Re: QB Camp Battles
PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 15:15 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 38391
Donate
The Jags feel left out. :(

As do the Jets & the Vikings. :P

PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 15:23 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 12114
Donate
gb.gif
Quote:
Titans coach Mike Munchak says Jake Locker and Matt Hasselbeck will split reps 50:50 down the middle until a starter is named.
And Munchak hopes to name that starter ahead of the third preseason game, which NFL teams traditionally treat like a true regular-season audition. "Going into that third game you would like to have an idea of what your plan is," Munchak said. "I feel so good about both of them I am not necessarily leaning either way on it. I feel like either way it is going to be a good situation for the team."

Looks like you missed the news.

Prediction may be wrong. I'd wager a guess Locker may win the job. They didn't spend a 1st round for nothing.

endzoneview wrote:
ANALYSIS - Whisenhunt isn't going to make the same mistake twice and insert a quarterback into the starting lineup based on his contract (see Leinart vs. Warner 2007). Skelton led the Cardinals to 6 of their 8 wins last season and should have the upper hand over the less talented Kolb once training camp gets started.

Skelton was good because he was willing to Brett Favre it to Larry Fitzgerald. Fitz had 2 100 yarders with Kolb and 5 with Skeletor.

Skelton had 11 TDs, he also had 14 INTs. He's not the answer.

Kolb came in VERY late (July 28th), and with no familiarity with the offense. I'm no fan of Kolb, but gives them a better chance then Skelton.

Last edited by jnadke on Fri 06.01.2012, 16:01, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 15:30 

Donate
nyj.gif
R2000 wrote:
The Jags feel left out. :(

Mularkey already came out and named Gabbert the starter and declared there is no competition

Week 9 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 15:32 

Donate
nyj.gif
jnadke wrote:

endzoneview wrote:

Skelton was good because he was willing to Brett Favre it to Larry Fitzgerald. Fitz had 2 100 yarders with Kolb and 5 with Skeletor.

Skelton he had 11 TDs, he had 14 INTs.

and went 6-2

I'm not saying he's awesome, just that he's better than Kolb and will start. He needs to improve his decision making, but forcing it to Fitz seems to work ok. Now they have another solid option in Floyd.

Week 9 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 15:53 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
gb.gif
endzoneview wrote:
and went 6-2

You forgot the part where the 5 of the 6 came against teams that were a combined 23 - 57.

Or the fact that 4 of Kolb's 6 losses were within 4 points or less. And 5 of Skelton's wins were within 4 points or less.

Or that the defense was still meshing at the beginning of the season after losing their #1 CB and gave up far fewer points later in the season than earlier (Defense gave up 4 30 point games with Kolb and 0 with Skelton)

Yes, none of those facts matter.

PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 16:11 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
What about the Jets & Vikings?

I admit Sanchez does not inspire me with confidence, but was surprised to see him in the top 12 last year. How soon do you expect to hear the Teblow chants?

Also, wonder if Vikings are committed to starting Ponder or if Webb has a realistic shot?

PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 16:13 

Donate
nyj.gif
jnadke wrote:
endzoneview wrote:
and went 6-2

You forgot the part where the 5 of the 6 came against teams that were a combined 23 - 57.

Or the fact that 4 of Kolb's 6 losses were within 4 points or less. And 5 of Skelton's wins were within 4 points or less.

Or that the defense was still meshing at the beginning of the season after losing their #1 CB and gave up far fewer points later in the season than earlier (Defense gave up 4 30 point games with Kolb and 0 with Skelton)

Yes, none of those facts matter.

Well, I was going to say good points before you went all jerk-store on me. [-X

Week 9 Bets Posted

Last edited by endzoneview on Fri 06.01.2012, 16:19, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 16:14 

Donate
nyj.gif
R2000 wrote:
What about the Jets & Vikings?

I admit Sanchez does not inspire me with confidence, but was surprised to see him in the top 12 last year. How soon do you expect to hear the Teblow chants?

Also, wonder if Vikings are committed to starting Ponder or if Webb has a realistic shot?

Tebow chants will start during the first snap of the pre-season. I'm a Sanchez supporter though. I liked Tebow alot more when he wasn't on my team.

I can't imagine Ponder not being the starter. Has there been any Webb chatter yet?

Week 9 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 16:19 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
gb.gif
endzoneview wrote:
Well, I was going to say good points before we went all jerk-store on me.

Most would call it /sarcasm.

My point is a lot of people on this forum put too much emphasis on past numbers rather than circumstance.

Whole loads of sites like ProFootballFocus and FFToolbox try to put numbers on this "circumstance". But it's not always easy to break it down. And coaches are unpredictable.

PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 16:41 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
gb.gif
I wouldn't call Skelton more talented.

He's Brett Farve lite, plain and simple. He has moderately poor execution, and a funky throw. Most of his highlight passes aren't spirals at all. He's just more willing to wing it. Threw on the run. Even throwing while jumping. Somehow he makes it work, but when he doesn't its disastrous.

Kolb is the more prototypical pocket passer. Throws proper spirals, good motion and velocity, etc. He may not be as motivated or maybe intelligent (I don't know them both) as Skelton, which could be problematic, but in terms of a passer Kolb is better. ARI Oline was very horrible at the beginning of the season, Kolb took a lot of major blind side hits. It's very possible Kolb became somewhat shell-shocked, being a pocket passer and all.

It's difficult to say who would be better, hopefully the coaches make the right decision. The right choice will be judged at the end of the season.

Edit; Post deleter :P

PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 17:20 
Chum

Sand$: 92
Donate
I think Kolb is a much better QB than Skelton and will win out.

I also think it is a bad sign for Hass when they say he will split carries. What that means is "hey we want to see if this kid is ready, if he is he wins". That is not really competition, that is if Locker is ready or not. I think Locker is ready and will take that job.

PostPosted: Fri 06.01.2012, 17:47 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
endzoneview wrote:

I can't imagine Ponder not being the starter. Has there been any Webb chatter yet?

not much.

5 months ago:

Quote:
Asked if Webb has earned the right to compete for the starting job, coach Leslie Frazier left the door open. Webb was also 1-1 as a starter last season.

"That’s a good one," Frazier told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "Because of some of the things he does, and what it does for the rest of the team, you can’t ignore him. It’s something you’re going to have to take a real hard look at going forward. He’s done it. He did it a season ago, as you recall."

Beginning of May:

Quote:
Minnesota Vikings quarterback Joe Webb is embracing his role as a full-time quarterback after serving as a hybrid quarterback/receiver/wildcat option for two seasons.

Coach Leslie Frazier said in February he wanted Webb to concentrate on one position. The team wants to maximize his value at quarterback and lessen his responsibilities. He'll enter camp as Christian Ponder's backup.

"It's a great role to have," said Webb on Wednesday, May 2, in between sets during an offseason conditioning workout. "Any time you can concentrate on one position, that's always a positive."

The Vikings are finally settling on an identity for Webb. Throughout last season, their intentions with him were unclear. Some games he would line up at receiver, some games he wouldn't. He finished the year with one catch for 9 yards.

In early-season games against Chicago, the Vikings ran the wildcat package with Webb - which the team calls the "blazer" package - only to squander the rhythm of offensive possessions with a combined 1 yard on two carries.

Webb has stood out most when getting a bulk of the snaps at quarterback. In his first two games filling in for the injured Ponder, Webb completed 16 of 28 passes for 168 yards passing and three touchdowns along with 143 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns.

PostPosted: Thu 06.21.2012, 16:48 

Donate
nyj.gif
Just popped up on rotoworld

Quote:
Coach Leslie Frazier clarified this week that Joe Webb will not push Christian Ponder for the starting job this summer.
Frazier suggested the opposite immediately after the season when Webb flashed while filling in for an injured Ponder. "If something were to happen to Christian because of injury, we feel like we have a capable backup in Joe," Frazier said Thursday. "But there's no competition as to, 'Joe has to do this to beat out Christian.' Christian, it's his job."

Week 9 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Thu 06.21.2012, 16:49 

Donate
nyj.gif
endzoneview wrote:
UPDATE: seems to be 50/50 heading into training camp

DOLPHINS - Tannenhill vs. Moore vs. Garrard
ANALYSIS - We get to watch this battle unfold on HBO, so lucky us. While Philbin and the Dolphins are talking up competition, it's really Tannenhill's job to lose
PREDICTION: Tannenhill
UPDATE: Garrard and Moore have been rotating first team reps on a consistent basis

SEAHAWKS - Flynn vs. Tavaris vs. Wilson
ANALYSIS - Flynn has the new big contract, Wilson has the upside and Tavaris is, well Tavaris. This team needs veteran leadership and Flynn should get the first crack, even though he only has three starts under his belt. However, I'd expect the leash to be a little shorter than usual if Wilson looks good during the pre-season
PREDICTION: Flynn
UPDATE: still anybody's game, TJAX getting some support right now

TITANS - Hasselbeck vs. Locker

ANALYSIS - Locker and Hass will be splitting work down the middle early in OTA's, but I suspect if Hasselbeck looks good and is healthy, the Titans will lean toward the veteran. Locker showed flashes, but another year of observation will do him some good
PREDICTION: Hasselbeck to start the season, Locker to take over midway
UPDATE: beat writers are split on who is in the lead

Week 9 Bets Posted