Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 131,002.20
There was some pretty upset people yesterday when Cleveland sat their big 3 of Love, Irving, and LeBron. They didn't notify the NBA till about 2 hours before the game some are reporting. ABC was very upset about this since it happened to them last week when Golden State sat 4 players for the same Saturday game.

These fans are paying big money for tickets and frankly should be upset. I would certainly be. My wife wanted to buy tickets to see the Cavs when they play the Spurs on the 27th in San Antonio, but after yesterday....I told her not to. Even a mediocre seat is somewhere between $400-$600. No way are we risking a grand or more and gas money to drive up to see these guys possibly sitting on the bench.

Gregg Popovich started all this years ago when he started resting Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. I really think the NBA needs to do something about this. These guys are making millions of dollars and they are getting paid to play, not rest. If your injured, that's fine .But this nonsense needs to stop. I don't see Harden, Westbrook or John Wall taking days off for rest. I sure as hell know MJ didn't take nights off for rest.

I think the NBA should put in a rule that a healthy player needs to play a minimum amount of minutes if healthy. Of course, that would just create fake injuries I guess, so the can get rest. Not sure what else they could do to fix this?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /99058532/

2016-17 Hardwood Sharks Champion
2016 LOT Roman League Champ
2015 $harktooth League Champion
2015 In Your Face $ League Champion
Sand$: 105,482.26
Shorten the season
No more back to back's
Shrink number of playoff teams/give byes to top seeds
Have more than a handful of good teams

Follow me @mchamberlin32
Supreme Megalodon
OarChambo wrote:Shorten the season
No more back to back's
Shrink number of playoff teams/give byes to top seeds
Have more than a handful of good teams

I don't think they would shorten the season, for the reason of record keeping. But the back to backs certainly need to be addressed. I think that is when most of these teams are giving players rest.

Great White Shark
Sand$: 49,392.24
If I paid for a game expecting to see certain players and they were sat I'd be furious and demand a refund. That's just my input. I guess it's a risk you take but without fans there's no sport. I think sports owe it to the fans to put the best product out there.

Championships: 2015 Deep Blue; 2015,2016 League of Titans, 2016 SWBS
Deep Black COMMISH
Sand$: 9,472.24
They will never shorten the season

I don't get why the NBA wants to cram 82 games into the regular season but allow a 7 game playoff series to last 2-1/2 weeks
endzoneview wrote:They will never shorten the season

I don't get why the NBA wants to cram 82 games into the regular season but allow a 7 game playoff series to last 2-1/2 weeks

Agreed.

Until it impacts the bottom line I can't imagine change will be considered. My understanding is the league is doing more than ok for itself financially.

I get why fans are irritated about it, but until you impact their pockets it isn't gong to change. There are other reasons, but there's good reason I don't pay much of any attention to anything NBA related until May. Injury aside, none of it matters.

Follow me @mchamberlin32
Supreme Megalodon
I can understand why ABC was so upset about players being rested the past 2 Saturday games:

As part of the NBA's new nine-year, $24 billion media rights deal with Disney and Turner, ABC launched Saturday Primetime last year in hopes of creating a new weekly showcase game to augment TNT Thursday Night and ESPN's Wednesday and Friday night slates

http://cote-ivoire.com/2017/03/20/cleve ... ffice.html

The NBA isn't losing any sleep about it after making that deal though.

Great White Shark
Sand$: 5,554.74
Frankly, if players are run down, in/out of the playoffs, they should rest but I get the outcry. Beyond that, I think Pop kinda enjoys giving the establishment the middle finger.

I think it's kind of ridiculous an NBA game costs that much. Been awhile since I paid for tix and had no idea it had gotten that high.

My wife was at the Lakers v Rockets game last week. Center court 20 rows from floor. They were a gift from a vendor but I wonder how freaking much those were.. Definitely out my comfort zone

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Supreme Megalodon
sctroyfan wrote:Frankly, if players are run down, in/out of the playoffs, they should rest but I get the outcry. Beyond that, I think Pop kinda enjoys giving the establishment the middle finger.

I think it's kind of ridiculous an NBA game costs that much. Been awhile since I paid for tix and had no idea it had gotten that high.

My wife was at the Lakers v Rockets game last week. Center court 20 rows from floor. They were a gift from a vendor but I wonder how freaking much those were.. Definitely out my comfort zone

The ticket prices are usually based on match-ups. The seat your wife sat in was easily in the $800-$1200 range, if not more. I agree it has gotten ridiculous.

Great White Shark
Sand$: 49,392.24
My family went to a hornets game against the magic a couple fridays ago. We paid $20 per seat with a hot dog and drink voucher. Mind you we were basically at the ceiling 3 rows from the top. They had a huge screen so it was decent enough to watch. But after paying for parking, gift shop, beers, extra food, etc. it was way more than I'd like to spend. I couldn't imaging paying more than I already did for the experience. I have seen the same seats sky rocket depending on matchup. I'd rather save my money for the football season or go to a baseball game.

Championships: 2015 Deep Blue; 2015,2016 League of Titans, 2016 SWBS
Deep Black COMMISH
I was curious so I had to look it up. I'm a huge Lakers fan since the 80's with Showtime so I wanted to see how many back to backs were on the schedule in '88. There were 14.

The Cleveland Lebrons will play 16 this year

Magic Johnson made $3M that year. Lebron is making $30 million. These guys need to shut up and play.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 5,554.74
endzoneview wrote:I was curious so I had to look it up. I'm a huge Lakers fan since the 80's with Showtime so I wanted to see how many back to backs were on the schedule in '88. There were 14.

Magic Johnson made $3M that year. Lebron is making $30 million. These guys need to shut up and play.

Nice EZV. Me as well. I really miss Doc Buss.. Back in the day you could wait by one of the tunnels outside the Forum and see players walking to their cars. Sometimes even get a photo or autograph.

And ya, agree, these guys need to suck it up.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
I still have every player on that 88 team memorized by name, height, and college. My buddies love to test me after a couple of beers.

Mike Smrek - 7 feet, Canisius College!!! :D
endzoneview wrote:I was curious so I had to look it up. I'm a huge Lakers fan since the 80's with Showtime so I wanted to see how many back to backs were on the schedule in '88. There were 14.

If it were Lebron's call he'd play every night. This is one of the rare decisions that isn't Lebron's.

Follow me @mchamberlin32
Supreme Megalodon
Interesting article on MSN Sports, with a idea for resting players:

Make the healthy, resting players go through every other element of game day.

Yup, it's that simple. Make these players go through media availability (pre- and postgame) and pregame warmups. Make them dress in their jerseys. Make them tuck in those jerseys. Make them sign autographs for fans. Make them travel for road games.

Here's why making players perform all the facets of their job except, y'know, playing would be so effective:
1. It preserves major aspects of the fan experience.

You don't get to see Stephen Curry play, but you get to ask for his autograph, watch him warm up and even see him in full uniform. Those are all pretty cool things. You can say you saw Stephen Curry, even if you never saw him play a game.
2. The players will want to play even more.

Look, the players always want to play, but everyone likes a day off once in a while. But imagine if you had to show up to work and do everything except your favorite part of the job, then your boss told you it counted as a vacation day. How do you think Chris Paul would take it if he were told he still had to do everything except get on the court during the game? This particularly works because the rest issue comes up often for road games, where players occasionally skip the travel altogether. If they're going to be there, though, why not play?
3. The coaches and general managers still have flexibility.

Gregg Popovich can still count on the system buy-in that he's always had with Spurs players to get them to sign off on days off. Yet coaches and front offices will have to work to get that kind of credibility with players. That's a good thing, for the players and the league as a whole.
4. It doesn't make it about national TV games.

That's always been an unsavory if realistic piece of this discussion, but the NBA needs to at least put on the front that this isn't about the TV dollars as much as real fan experience. Neither the players nor the fans want to feel like the league only cares if it's costing them with TV partners.

None of this is even worth discussing if the NBA won't still be looking for ways to cut down on the demands of its season. The players deserve that - and have the leveraging power to demand it, given the way the league's labor situation works. So cut down on preseason, come up with more fair methods of distributing national TV burdens and get rid of back-to-backs as much as possible.

But make the players show up for work, even on their days off. They just might surprise us all and like it.