FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 09.20.2014, 23:04

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who will win the 2011 Stanley Cup?
Poll ended at Wed 06.01.2011, 18:52
Bruins in 4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Canucks in 4 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Bruins in 5 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Canucks in 5 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bruins in 6 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Canucks in 6 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Bruins in 7 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Canucks in 7 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Tue 06.07.2011, 07:32 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 2621
Donate
sea.gif
Yeah Baby! The best thing about the Bruin's win wasn't the 8-1 score, but it was the way that they did it. Vancouver looked like the fatigued team out there tonight....Thomas was awesome....

Whats the word on Horton - is he still in the hospital?

PostPosted: Tue 06.07.2011, 09:46 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18744
Donate
Location: Somewhere between the Principality of Sealand and Migrate, KY
ne.gif
seadog wrote:
Whats the word on Horton - is he still in the hospital?

He's out for the rest of the series. This was just released in the past half hour...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bru ... ton_w.html

Quote:
Bruins winger Nathan Horton will miss the rest of the Stanley Cup Final with a severe concussion, the team has confirmed.

Horton was injured five minutes into Game 3 last night when he was hit near the blue line by Vancouver defenseman Aaron Rome. Rome, who received a five-minute interference penalty and was thrown out of the game, faces a disciplinary hearing with NHL officials at 11 a.m.

Horton spent the night at Mass General Hospital. He was tied for second on the Bruins in playoff scoring with eight goals and nine assists, and had scored three game-winning goals in the playoffs.

Game 4 is tomorrow at TD Garden at 8 p.m.

Earlier this morning, Boston.com columnist Tony Massarotti reported on The Sports Hub radio station that a "well-placed source" told him Horton was done for the season.

Rome should be suspended for the rest of the series as well, if the league has the balls to do the right thing. If not, then Shawn Thornton will make sure he spends not just the rest of the series in traction, but most of the offseason too. The Bruins need to rally around this and punish Vancouver for the rest of the series.

PostPosted: Tue 06.07.2011, 09:53 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 2
Donate
Location: Don't let the name change fool you. Still a Vikes fan for life!
min.gif
Wow, 8-1! :shock:

This is interesting. Reminds me of a Herb Brooks story. I can't remember what year it was, maybe '79. The Gophers were one of the best teams in the country, and they were playing a possibly better Michigan team. On Friday night, the Gophers won 10-2 or something like that. The team was celebrating the win in the locker room, and when Herb came in he was completely silent, and he said something to the effect of: "You just embarrassed a VERY good team tonight, you'd better be ready to play your rumps off tomorrow night."

The Bruins embarrassed the Canucks last night, they'd better be ready to play even harder for Game 4, because Vancouver will definitely be out for revenge!

With that said, Go Boston! =D>

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks

Last edited by MN_HockeyGuy on Tue 06.07.2011, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue 06.07.2011, 10:32 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 13852
Donate
atl.gif
I saw the hit live, my buddy looked away before it happened for whatever reason. I knew he wasn't paralyzed but the instant camera angle that had on him laying there, with his eyes like that for a little bit you could tell he was serious f'd up. I've seen people get knocked out but that was on a whole new level. He almost looked lifeless for a second and I'm pretty sure he had no idea where he was for a little while. I was legitimately scared, I'm surprised they showed that 1 camera angle for so long.

PostPosted: Tue 06.07.2011, 11:46 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 42
Donate
stl.gif
That was a vicious hit on Horton, but it definitely woke Boston up. Oftentimes a play like that will piss a team off enough to step it up a couple of notches and that's exactly what happened last night. Boston took the physical play to Vancouver basically running them into the ice and winning pretty much every race to the puck. Classic Eastern Conference style hockey. If they can keep up that same level of intensity Vancouver is in trouble. Since my daughter was watching it the other day, all I could think of as Boston kept pouring the puck in the net late in the third was:

"We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy. "

Regarding the hit though, I didn't think it was all that cheap. As a defenseman your taught to defend your blueline, which is exactly what he was doing. Unfortunately for Horton he had his head down which frankly was on him. You get 2 strides after a player releases the puck. What I did think was bs though, and why he deserved to get booted, was the way he hit him. When you have a guy tee'd up like that there's no reason hit them high and/or go after his head. If he would have hit him a little lower Horton still would have gone flying and probably would not have gotten as severe a concussion. So in essence I guess I'm saying that the "defenseless position" claim was really on Horton and should not be used as a reason for long term suspension, but the high hit was bs and absolutely warranted the penalty dealt.

Nonetheless it's shaping up to be a hell of a series for the finish. Playoff hockey is the chit.

PostPosted: Tue 06.07.2011, 12:01 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
ne.gif
And Rome is gone...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bru ... ds_aa.html

Quote:
The Globe's Fluto Shinzawa reports Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome has been suspended four games for his hit on the Bruins' Nathan Horton in the first period of Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final last night at TD Garden.

The ruling ends Rome's season because only four games are left to be played, and the series could end in fewer games.

Rome had a disciplinary hearing this morning with NHL senior vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy. He received a five-minute interference penalty and a game misconduct at the time of the hit.

It's still a sucky trade-off... one of the best scoring wingers on the B's for a grunt. But if it serves to inspire the rest of the team, I think he'll consider it worth it to get his name on the Cup. Otherwise it would be hockey justice to Nancy Kerrigan the Sedin sisters.

PostPosted: Tue 06.07.2011, 13:22 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 116433
Donate
min.gif
DropkickFluties wrote:
*lol* Don't congratulate me. I'm just a spectator....an enthusiastic one currently, but just another passenger on the bandwagon. Loved the energy the B's brought to this game. And they shattered Luongo's confidence... if the Bruins can score in the 1st period on Wednesday he'll be ruined for the rest of that game. I just hope they didn't blow their entire load tonight and saved a few more goals for the rest of the series. This kind of game gives me hope though because games 1 and 2 were very winnable battles as the visiting team. After this beatdown, Vancouver can't feel too good about their chances of winning in Boston.
As a fan rooting for a team - congratulations in a victory for said team is in association with.. but I know what ya mean.. always seems a little awkward :lol:

PostPosted: Tue 06.07.2011, 13:32 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
sea.gif
Horton's concussion probably had as much to do with his head bouncing on the ice as he fell....he got lit up thats for sure...

Losing Horton vs. losing Rome isn't necessarily a fair trade, but I hope this just continues to light a fire under the B's...

I'm biased black and gold, but this has been a great series to watch so far

PostPosted: Tue 06.07.2011, 20:52 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 2
Donate
Location: Don't let the name change fool you. Still a Vikes fan for life!
min.gif
Good to see Rome suspended for the rest of the series, that hit was way too late.

I heard on the radio today that the hit came 28 frames after the puck left Horton's stick.

30 frames = 1 second.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks

PostPosted: Tue 06.07.2011, 22:49 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 10654
Donate
den.gif
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
Good to see Rome suspended for the rest of the series, that hit was way too late.

I heard on the radio today that the hit came 28 frames after the puck left Horton's stick.

30 frames = 1 second.

What happened to Horton was a shame and comes out of this better then others have. However, those kind of hits happen all the time as a matter of fact Boston made some similar late hits in the same game. It was just damn un-lucky that Horton whipped the way he did. This wasn't a head shot, it was a late hit we see countless times every game. Some get called for 2 minutes and the odd one gets called for 5, most get no call because the player receiving the hit gets ups. I know as fans of a team people like to get riled up and call bloody murder when it happens to one of their own, but those same fans cheer their team on and say they gave it to them when their players does it to another player.

PostPosted: Wed 06.08.2011, 02:07 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 10654
Donate
den.gif
Here are 3 hits that result in concussions or worse this spring, but didn't result in a suspension.

Ference hit on Halpern:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUulx-PcVDY

Mcginn Hit On Aaron Rome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKE27l7ZzA

and let's not forget this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0

PostPosted: Wed 06.08.2011, 07:58 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
sea.gif
Hits with intent to injure and hits that result in concussion can be two different things...I tend to agree with o$o's analysis of this one..

It will be interesting to see how much the refs dictate the game tonight and what effect that will have...I can't help but think that Shawn Thornton and LaPierre are going to throw down before this series is through....

PostPosted: Wed 06.08.2011, 08:54 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1195
Donate
oak.gif
I love open ice hits..... Scott Stevens is my friggen hero - The Rome hit was waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy late though. I watched the replay and it was three full strides after Horton passed the puck before Rome smoked him - the suspension was warranted for that alone and I agree with the length of it.

As far as the actual hit goes - My take is that if Horton still had the puck or had just released it there was really nothing wrong with it by the rules. He was directly in front of him so it wasn't a blindside despite the fact Horton was looking the other way; Rome used his shoulder not his elbow; it really would have been a beautiful hit if it werent for the fact that the poor guy was nowhere near the puck at the time and wasnt' watching where he was going........ tough way to get reminded of the very first thing all of our coaches taught us in minor hockey - KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!!!!!! especially coming through the middle of the ice.

Seems like so many skilled players are too enamoured with their own skills..... Lindross, Karya, Savard, now Horton - all of them clobbered coming across the middle of the ice while they're admiring their own pass.... not in any way condoning Rome's hit; as I said - way late and unacceptable but I'd hate to see those types of hit disappear (when they're delivered according to the rules). Lots of talk about a lack of respect for fellow players but the players need to take some responsibility for their own safety as well.

PostPosted: Wed 06.08.2011, 09:35 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1100
Donate
I thought of Scott Stevens here too. He would have played approximately 5 minutes with the current rules. He did that all the time.

I thought the hit was a little late, and vicious, but it happens.... especially with a forward coming across the blue line with his head down. Games i've got to see, both teams are playing hard and taking the hit when they can. Plenty of goalie snowing and yipping and yapping between plays. I never really thought of Vancouver being that hard nosed, but they are.

I think a 1 game suspension would have been enough.

PostPosted: Wed 06.08.2011, 09:50 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
ne.gif
You could make the same argument for late hits on the QB. But in both hockey and football, the rule about hits is in place to be the deterrent and ensure safety because the players don't have 360-degree vision at all times. And because these rules are in place, it makes sense that a player would be a little more lax about overall spatial awareness knowing that all the other players on the ice/field are aware of the same rule and it is expected they'll follow them. Whether Horton is watching the puck because he might get it passed back to him, or a QB is watching a long pass to see if its caught or even intercepted (which would require him to start running after the ball carrier), I don't blame these guys for following the action when there is a reasonable expectation that they won't be hit.

Rome's skates left the ice. That wasn't just a check... that was intent to launch all his weight at the upper half of a player who didn't have the puck. Classless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next