FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 10.30.2014, 17:57

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat 07.31.2010, 18:26 
Chum

Sand$: 10
Donate
First off, I want to thank Tony and the folks here at Fantasy Sharks for allowing me to share my Quality Game Scores with the great football people here.

I put the link to the first article posted...but I'd love to hear your thoughts about the other articles as they will posted soon.

http://www.fantasysharks.com/artman2/pu ... stency.htm

Just wondering what the Sharks thoughts were about it concept.

Thanks again!

Bob

PostPosted: Sat 07.31.2010, 21:09 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8075
Donate
cin.gif
I thought this was original, creative, and well written.

Personally, I don't put a great deal of stock into statistics, and this would qualify as "overkill" for me. I use stats to paint a very broad picture, and then trust my eyes to make the finer choices. When you get this deep into numbers, then you are relying (or at least spending copious amounts of time) on something with a constant fluctuation.

I certainly could envision this being successfully applied elswhere (though I have no specific suggestions), and I don't doubt there are hordes of number-crunchers that would find this very applicable in fantasy football. At any rate, I thought your idea was original and enjoyed your fresh approach.

PostPosted: Mon 08.02.2010, 08:10 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36718
Donate
car.gif
Good job IMO. You put a little light on something that any Chad Johnson owner has pondered for a second but never pursued.
It was interesting to me and I'll try to check out the link to see how much info can be found.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Mon 08.02.2010, 10:01 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15589
Donate
I hate your articles as far as the idea goes. They stole my thunder. ;) Was working on crunching the data for consistent players but it seems you beat me to it. I do think your articles would have been better if you hadn't done it for just the one year and shown the top performers who are consistent vs the guys who have 5 blowups in a year ala Chad Johnson who was previously mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue 08.03.2010, 10:05 
Chum

Donate
bshazzar wrote:
I hate your articles as far as the idea goes. They stole my thunder. ;) Was working on crunching the data for consistent players but it seems you beat me to it. I do think your articles would have been better if you hadn't done it for just the one year and shown the top performers who are consistent vs the guys who have 5 blowups in a year ala Chad Johnson who was previously mentioned.

I've been working on this theory since 2002....so I apologize for stealing your thunder. But please don't give up on trying to twist consistency in different ways, it's always good stuff.

If you come up with any good twists let me know and you can write for my site. :)

Anyways, yes I have the ability to show 1 yr, 3 yrs or 5 yrs.

I've found that looking at more than 2-3 years of consistency isn't very...well, consistent.

Players change teams, get new OL, WR's, etc. Roles change and then so do their fantasy numbers.

Thanks for the post and best of luck with your ideas!

PostPosted: Thu 08.12.2010, 17:19 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 25280
Donate
tb.gif
I've been meaning to comment on this article but have been caught up researching my own lately. I actually found a sticky note on my dry erase board reminding me about this particular thought process.

While it has merit, it seems your application of it has some flaws. For instance, I took a look at your tiering sheet and immediately was left scratching my head.

You show as an example that the first 9 picks should be "A" tier RB's, but you only list 6 as "A" tier.
While I agree on selecting a QB somewhere in or after the fifth round, again your sheet instructs that the only QB recommended is an "A"...and yes, only four qualify in your tiering...and it's far from likely that any of them will be around by then.

My point is that, theoretically speaking, it sounds good. But as soon as you put it to practical application it seems to fail quickly.

PostPosted: Sat 08.14.2010, 09:00 
Chum

Donate
Ben_Ice wrote:
I've been meaning to comment on this article but have been caught up researching my own lately. I actually found a sticky note on my dry erase board reminding me about this particular thought process.

While it has merit, it seems your application of it has some flaws. For instance, I took a look at your tiering sheet and immediately was left scratching my head.

You show as an example that the first 9 picks should be "A" tier RB's, but you only list 6 as "A" tier.
While I agree on selecting a QB somewhere in or after the fifth round, again your sheet instructs that the only QB recommended is an "A"...and yes, only four qualify in your tiering...and it's far from likely that any of them will be around by then.

My point is that, theoretically speaking, it sounds good. But as soon as you put it to practical application it seems to fail quickly.

Ben,

As a long-time admirer of your work in the fantasy field, I'm honored that you took the time to review my work and comments here on the site.

I appreciate you catching my mistakes in the tier draft list and I will make those corrections. The tier draft list is a simple by-product of the site and is actually not correlated to the Quality Game Scores at all. People found it useful last year, but as you mentioned, it needs tweaked.

I would appreciate to hear your thoughts surrounding the Quality Game Scores and its usefulness as a tool.

Again Ben, I thank you for taking time out of your busy season to review my work.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon 08.16.2010, 09:48 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 25280
Donate
tb.gif
Bob,

One of the guys I have been a fan of for a long time is KC Joyner, the self-proclaimed "Football Scientist." He has spent an inordinate amount of time trying to add a sense of sabermetric-style value to assessing players in football. He spends his time watching tape, recording information and statistics. One of my favorites was his assessment of Shaun Alexander's career year...most assumed he ran predominantly to the left over Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson. KC's research showed no such predilection, and that in fact they ran over the middle (which in my understanding meant between the guards and therefore COULD have been over Hutch) more often than not.

Where I think your work is on track is a philosophy I have always held dear...consistency. It's what we all should strive for over the course of a season.

I will continue to look in on you and see how things progress. I know how easily it is to develop a few hitches in yer gitalongs while continually developing your work.

Keep it up. It's been refreshing