FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Fri 08.29.2014, 09:02

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue 08.16.2011, 16:07 
SandShark

Sand$: 156
Donate

PostPosted: Tue 08.30.2011, 17:11 
SandShark

Donate
Some of you may have read the fantastic thread from our very own Paddler last year (The Urban Achievers).

http://www.fantasysharks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=240780

If you've ever read one of those "choose your own adventure" books, well ... this is the IDP equivalent

The short story? Paddler was kind enough when he inherited a dynasty team and offer the tank the chance to run it, fielding WW picks, roster cuts & sit/start suggestions. Over the weeks and days that followed we all had input into helping define this underdog team. We revelled in the victories ... we felt the misery of defeat.

We're throwing ourselves at the mercy of the tank again and the knowledge that lies therein, so buckle up and strap it on. Here's where we are:

SCORING:

CURRENT ROSTER (Post cuts & Pre Draft)

Its currently rnd 3 of a dynasty draft, we're on deck & the clock is ticking ... So far we've taken; Donald Butler (LB) & Marcel Dareus (DE).

Where we go next is up to you ...

Draft Site: http://football22.myfantasyleague.com/2011/options?L=62621&O=17

Who do we take - help req'd!

PostPosted: Wed 08.31.2011, 03:55 
SandShark

Donate
Rnd 1: Donald Butler (SDC), LB

The LB corps is what i inherited - couldve been a lot worse, couldve been a lot better though.

Start 3 & 1 flex play so out of the roster we have id probably grade them something like:

D.Jackson (CLE)
D.Washington (ARI)
L.Fletcher (WAS)
-----------------------
R.McClain (OAK)
G.Hayes (TBB)
-----------------------
C.Gocong (CLE)

I figure only 3 of those are LB#1's and all of them have question marks. Jackson <Health>, Washington <Potential but not the production, yet>, Fletcher <Age>

With the potential to start 4 i grabbed a starting LB. He's coming off a serious injury but hes looked sharp in pre-season so welcome aboard.

Rnd 2: Marcel Dareus (BUF), DE

ATM we're carrying Matt Roth & Glenn Dorsey - one was playing OLB last year and the other is a 3-4 DE (I prefer 4-3 DE's but there you go!).

Im not exepcting a "Suh-like" eruption from Dareus, but he should be playing the majority of snaps and i think he was the best DL in the draft.

I know it'll probably give anyone else in the the draft a bit of a lead/ headsup abaout which way we could be leaning in drafting - but definitely on the lookout for another DE that can produce. Dont need to carry more than 4 (Start 2), but plenty of questions about what we've got on the roster atm :(

Another slightly problematic feature of this pick is that Dareus is listed as a DE on MFL & DT on ESPN (The draft is via MFL and the league run on ESPN). Between him and Jones both could be moved next year, one, either - who knows. Being a dyna i dont mind taking the long term view on this.

A nice sleeper @DE for this year would REALLY do us some real good as this is probably our weakest spot

PostPosted: Wed 08.31.2011, 08:27 
SandShark

Donate
Rnd 3: Navorro Bowman (SFO), LB

Was really kinda hoping Gary Brackett would still be here, but he went a few picks previously - thanks a bundle Gary/Kilroy!

With LBs flying off the board (as you'd expect) - 12 in 25 picks - think i'm going to take the guy who plays alongside Patrick WIllis.

Hes not likely to beat Pat Willis out for tackles or scores, but he can't be all bad and was quite a monster at college ... But just cause it's unlikely he cant be as productive as Willis it isnt the same as not being productive at all.

Would've liked to have taken him in the later rounds - but just want to round out my questionable LB corps and w/everyone diving in for them why risk not not getting him at all?

Still in bad shape w/regard to DE ... Not wild or smitten with the DBs either ... But we're in decent shape with regards to our LB's and DT's now at least.

Wonder if anyone is likely to trade me a DE? :-k

PostPosted: Wed 08.31.2011, 19:55 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6999
Donate
cle.gif
IDPeople wrote:
Rnd 3: Navorro Bowman (SFO), LB

Was really kinda hoping Gary Brackett would still be here, but he went a few picks previously - thanks a bundle Gary/Kilroy!

With LBs flying off the board (as you'd expect) - 12 in 25 picks - think i'm going to take the guy who plays alongside Patrick WIllis.

Hes not likely to beat Pat Willis out for tackles or scores, but he can't be all bad and was quite a monster at college ... But just cause it's unlikely he cant be as productive as Willis it isnt the same as not being productive at all.

Would've liked to have taken him in the later rounds - but just want to round out my questionable LB corps and w/everyone diving in for them why risk not not getting him at all?

Still in bad shape w/regard to DE ... Not wild or smitten with the DBs either ... But we're in decent shape with regards to our LB's and DT's now at least.

Wonder if anyone is likely to trade me a DE? :-k

I'm hard pressed to feel bad for you given that my LB are so freakin' bad that I have to try to be excited about Gary Brackett. ](*,)

Follow IDPManor on Twitter!

PostPosted: Fri 09.02.2011, 02:21 
SandShark

Donate
Rnd 4: Adrian Clayborn (TBB), DE

Im not a huge fan of this pick truth be told - i need productivity NOW @DE, but inheriting a "delinquent" dyna team it means most of the good players are already rostered and at some point you have to look elsewhere.

Sent a trade enquiry out - still heard nothing back, so im not holding my breath there.

In the interim we've taken Clayborn

I expect NO rookie defensive end to supply "instant gratification". About the only two exceptions to the rule have been Jared Allen and Brian Orakpo (Rookie seasons: 9 sacks for Allen, 11 for Orakpo - tho Orakpo had at this point moved to OLB from his college DE position). For all that though, hes a good young player ... a starter at RDE by the looks of it ... talented enough that he may yet become a roster fixture for seasons to come ... So, more one for the future than anything im hanging my hat on right now. Though SOME relevant/ meaningfulproduction would be nice! :D

Jason Jones, Marcel Dareus could both end up @DE next year (classified as DT on ESPN currently) so don't think i'll load up much further - might have to suck it up this year at DE and hope for the best from Matt Roth, Glenn Dorsey and Clayborn whilst taking my lumps for it.

@Gary: I think he (Brackett) was a great pick =D>

PostPosted: Sun 09.04.2011, 18:00 
SandShark

Donate
Rnd 5: Courtney Greene (JAX), S

The Jax DL isn't great, the LBs have gotten better - but with that offense (dodgy lead RB? Definitely dodgy QB position) it strikes me the defense could see a fair amount of on-the-field time.

Im not saying the DL is terrible or bad or anything - its just below par ... it will scare noone. Subpar DLs make rushing easier and increases tackling opportunities further back than the LOS.

Poz - believe it or not - is also ranked as one of the worst tacklers for wrapping up. I know, i know ... stats can mean anything out of context, right? " There's lies ... damned lies and statistics" or words to that effect. Even if its half true itll make for more tackles around him.

Greene is a prototypical in-the-box thumper and whilst im not particularly hurting at Safety (T.J.Ward, Eric Weddle & Kerry Rhodes) in a league where i can start up to 3 safeties (2 + 1 flex) im fine with him for a bit of depth and value.

Still need a startable DE - could be clutching at straws shortly ... :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Mon 09.05.2011, 03:06 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
cle.gif
IDPeople wrote:
Rnd 5: Courtney Greene (JAX), S

The Jax DL isn't great, the LBs have gotten better - but with that offense (dodgy lead RB? Definitely dodgy QB position) it strikes me the defense could see a fair amount of on-the-field time.

Im not saying the DL is terrible or bad or anything - its just below par ... it will scare noone. Subpar DLs make rushing easier and increases tackling opportunities further back than the LOS.

Poz - believe it or not - is also ranked as one of the worst tacklers for wrapping up. I know, i know ... stats can mean anything out of context, right? " There's lies ... damned lies and statistics" or words to that effect. Even if its half true itll make for more tackles around him.

Greene is a prototypical in-the-box thumper and whilst im not particularly hurting at Safety (T.J.Ward, Eric Weddle & Kerry Rhodes) in a league where i can start up to 3 safeties (2 + 1 flex) im fine with him for a bit of depth and value.

Still need a startable DE - could be clutching at straws shortly ... :cry: :cry:

Like the Greene pick. He's yet another example of why I like to wait on DBs, as he can be gotten LATE and could fairly easily post DB3 numbers. The Jags must like him at least a bit, because they bumped Dawan Landry to FS to keep Greene on the field.

Well done. =D>

PostPosted: Mon 09.05.2011, 03:34 
SandShark

Donate
Rnd 6: Mark Anderson (NEP), DE

Okay, its a flier i'll admit - it possibly reeks of a teensy weensy bit of desperation (and i make no apologies for that. Mainly as it's true! :F ).

Which Anderson will we see in 2011? Will it be the rookie that announced his arrival in the pros by racking up 12 sacks as a pass rushing rotational player or will it be the guy that is now on his 3rd team in 3yrs? Ask me an easy one ...

I doubt he'll be an every down guy as it stands (Carter & Ellis), but playing alongside Wilfork and Haynesworth hes got every chance to rack up the sacks. "Every chance" being the key phrase.

He wouldnt be the first player to fizzle out of the league early, but he wouldnt be the first he first guy Belichick and Pepper Johnson have set on the straight and narrow after going "off the rails" productivity wise (Banta-Cain, Ninkovich etc) and squeezed the most out of either ...

Bottom Line: Its rnd 6 - im hurting at DE, nothing else out there so going with opportunity + ability + a :eusa_pray:

Worst case scenario hes a no-brainer and "first against the wall" when the time comes to make room for a WW add. Best case, problem solved on a DL that could cause a ruckus in the league.

@Gary: Thanks - Loved me some Wilson, Coleman & Chancellor but they all went earlier :( Very deep for safeties in IDP this year. Still not sure i should be talking to you after picking up Michael Johnson (CIN, DE) though .... Grrrrrr

PostPosted: Mon 09.05.2011, 23:23 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
cle.gif
IDPeople wrote:

Okay, its a flier i'll admit - it possibly reeks of a teensy weensy bit of desperation (and i make no apologies for that. Mainly as it's true! :F ).

Which Anderson will we see in 2011? Will it be the rookie that announced his arrival in the pros by racking up 12 sacks as a pass rushing rotational player or will it be the guy that is now on his 3rd team in 3yrs? Ask me an easy one ...

I doubt he'll be an every down guy as it stands (Carter & Ellis), but playing alongside Wilfork and Haynesworth hes got every chance to rack up the sacks. "Every chance" being the key phrase.

He wouldnt be the first player to fizzle out of the league early, but he wouldnt be the first he first guy Belichick and Pepper Johnson have set on the straight and narrow after going "off the rails" productivity wise (Banta-Cain, Ninkovich etc) and squeezed the most out of either ...

Bottom Line: Its rnd 6 - im hurting at DE, nothing else out there so going with opportunity + ability + a :eusa_pray:

Worst case scenario hes a no-brainer and "first against the wall" when the time comes to make room for a WW add. Best case, problem solved on a DL that could cause a ruckus in the league.

@Gary: Thanks - Loved me some Wilson, Coleman & Chancellor but they all went earlier :( Very deep for safeties in IDP this year. Still not sure i should be talking to you after picking up Michael Johnson (CIN, DE) though .... Grrrrrr

Hey man, I got zero guilt. If I can double this team's win total from '10 and go 6-7 it'll be half a freakin' miracle. ](*,)

PostPosted: Tue 09.06.2011, 15:28 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15023
Donate
Rnd 7: A.J.Jefferson (ARI), CB

Well its the last round so its about that time of the draft where you kick over the CBs ...

Im okay at CB - cant say i love Winfield.

Dont get me wrong IRL hes great, in IDP hes good - i just cant get excited about him, would prefer to own Griffin in dynas i think at this stage but its no biggie.

Likewise with Greer, hes fine, im fine with owning him.Actually TBH without having one of a few CBs (Finnegan & Co.) youre likely going to feel like me about CBs - not thrilled by them.

Ah well - got the one CB that is likely to be playing every down while Peterson and Co rotate the other spot and mix it up on passing downs. At least ill have the "excitement" factor of seeing if he comes close to being picked on a la Greg Toler last season.

Whoopee?

@Gary: I feel your pain, brother. Looking historically this team wasnt all that much better (11th/12 in '10)

PostPosted: Wed 09.07.2011, 12:21 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1789
Donate
cin.gif
IDPeople wrote:

Um, no, that would be ME that won't be talking to you! :evil: He was a homer pick too! :( Of course I expected him to be drafted, but he did go a little earlier than I expected him too. Should have known drafting with you punks! :P

I really hope he pans out IRL. The defense is the only side of the ball in Cincy that I can even get remotely excited about, and the thought of Johnson and Dunlap terrorizing offenses for years to come make me happy.

The Jefferson pick was good, he was in my list of pre-drafts for my last pick..... I liked Munnerlyn's upside if he wins the job; if doesn't, it was a wasted pick. Which I'm not gonna cry about in the 6th round......

PostPosted: Thu 09.08.2011, 02:44 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
cle.gif
Given the lineup i started with, I'm not quite hurling over the one I ended up with, although Goff hurt given I have zero depth.

My goal is 7-6...odds ain't with me, but if I can get lucky on the WW once or twice and pull out a close one I have a puncher's chance, and that's about all I can ask given what I started with.

Now my WALL team's another story...DB's hold up (and if they don't I'll curb 'em) and I may just show some folks why Tony brought me on board. :guns:

PostPosted: Fri 09.09.2011, 01:56 
SandShark

Donate
WW MOVE:

CUT: Chris Gocong (LB)
ADD: Travis Laboy (LB/DE)

Not like i havent been saying im in need of a DE upgrade and there it is in the form of some poor work from ESPNs classification :dontknow:

Any LB with DE eligibility is nice to own. I dont feel great about it - never do, as you always feel like your capitalizing on a loophole (rightly so) but someone will. may as well be me.

Gocong? Im not an overly huge fan of H/Cuffing though i think in FF more than at any other time i can ever remember (and ive played a while) its actually becoming more viable with the way the game has trended.

In this instance though im actually not too badly off at LB. We could always be better off, but Gary makes me feel better about my LBs in this league (j/k!! :) ).

Am i convinced Jackson will stay healthy all season, probably not - but i dont think itll be an IR job either. As such im not prepared to waste a valuable roster spot on a guy for just 2-3 weeks out of 16. I'll take my chances!

PostPosted: Mon 09.12.2011, 02:47 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
cle.gif
I'm not going to win this week, and I loathe terms like "moral victory" (I'm a Vince Lombardi type of guy, whether it's fantasy football, shooting pool, or playing Wii with my niece (and if you think I'm bad you should see her...spent a couple hours yesterday showing her how to hustle (show them a little light, get yours, shut the door) and she was fascinated by it.), but all things considered I have no complaints about how my squad performed (short of the not winning part).

Upside? This team's days as a cupcake are hopefully over, and I haven't even started wire whoring yet.

Downside? Best I can reasonably hope for is 7-6, an early playoff bounce, and a mid-round pick next year that will hinder the rebuild more that it helps.

That said know that the easy out days are (once again hopefully) over, and that there's a new Sheriff on Amity Island. :thumbright:

BTW, if you fine folks will kindly point me in the direction of the gentleman/lady who built this team, I'd appreciate it.

Someone needs slapped. ](*,)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next