FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Mon 07.28.2014, 01:15

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Mon 09.12.2011, 13:36 
Offline
HammerHead Shark
User avatar

Joined: Fri 09.15.2006, 13:49
Posts: 981
Sand$: 2964
Donate
Location: Cary, NC
car.gif
Just noticed this forum. Thanks to the guys & gals here who are posting.

I'm in a 16-team dynasty that went IDP this year. We play 2DL, 2LB, and 2DB. My DL suck so far, but I have some hope for the two I've kept: Carlos Dansby and James Hall. But I need more help on DL no matter how I slice it.

IDP Scoring is
Tackles: 2
Assists: 1
Sacks: 2
Interceptions: 4
Fumbles Recovered: 2
Fumbles Forced: 4
Passes Defensed: 2
Safeties: 2
Blocked FGS: 2
Blocked PUNT: 2
Blocked XPS: 2
TD: 6

Several guys on the WW had solid to great games, but I don't know if they can be trusted. Would you pick up any of:

Kroy Biermann (ATL)
Ray McDonald (SF)
Chris Nield (WAS)
Henry Melton (CHI)
Michael Johnson (CIN)

I'd probably have to drop an LB to pick one up. There, I have: Brian Urlacher, Sean Lee, Pat Angerer, Takeo Spikes, Geno Hayes, and Derrick Johnson. Although, I might be better off dropping Andre Roberts (WR-ARI). I have lots of WR depth and can only play 3 WR, anyway.

Thanks,
Mike

_________________
North State Spartans, 16tm dyno
QB Brady,Cutler
RB AP,McCoy,Charles,Carter,White,Green,Tate
WR AJ,Calvin,Thomas,Nelson,Collie,Washington,Haywardbey
TE Graham,Cook
K Bailey
DL Johnson,Bennett
LB Urlacher,Lee,Bowman,Angerer
DB Chancellor,Burnett,Houston


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Mon 09.12.2011, 13:57 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon

Joined: Tue 08.18.2009, 16:31
Posts: 10102
Sand$: 14747
Donate
Location: twitter.com/deeperanddown
Mikeheel wrote:
Just noticed this forum. Thanks to the guys & gals here who are posting.

I'm in a 16-team dynasty that went IDP this year. We play 2DL, 2LB, and 2DB. My DL suck so far, but I have some hope for the two I've kept: Carlos Dansby and James Hall. But I need more help on DL no matter how I slice it.

IDP Scoring is
Tackles: 2
Assists: 1
Sacks: 2
Interceptions: 4
Fumbles Recovered: 2
Fumbles Forced: 4
Passes Defensed: 2
Safeties: 2
Blocked FGS: 2
Blocked PUNT: 2
Blocked XPS: 2
TD: 6

Several guys on the WW had solid to great games, but I don't know if they can be trusted. Would you pick up any of:

Kroy Biermann (ATL)
Ray McDonald (SF)
Chris Nield (WAS)
Henry Melton (CHI)
Michael Johnson (CIN)

I'd probably have to drop an LB to pick one up. There, I have: Brian Urlacher, Sean Lee, Pat Angerer, Takeo Spikes, Geno Hayes, and Derrick Johnson. Although, I might be better off dropping Andre Roberts (WR-ARI). I have lots of WR depth and can only play 3 WR, anyway.

Thanks,
Mike


Hiya Mike - glad you found us!!! :)

Not sure youve got Karlos Dansby as a DL there though buddy - could you double check for that for me?

Firstly 2pts for a sack is ridiculously low, thats the bad news. On the plus side it means 3-4 DEs as well as 4-3 DEs will be equally as valuable to you (4-3 defensive ends generally rack up more sacks).

Of the list you made i really like Melton, the CHI brass all the way down to the grass roots of the franchise have been talking him up and hes a big reason why Tommie Harris is now a Colt (bet he regrets that now, he'll never be so busy as he will now!)

Not a huge fan of Chris Neild - not talent wise of which i dont mind him one way or another TBH - but because hell be rotational. A rotational DL might get better quality of possession, but i prefer the every down guy as :censor: happens ALL the time in the NFL and if you aint on the field you miss alot of it!

Bierman was a nice sleeper pick this year ... until the Falcons signed Ray Edwards from the Vikes. So again you could be looking at rotational time, but he has upside for sure and football outsiders credits him with a very impressive number of the unrecorded QB hurries stat. If you grade well there then youre only inches away from a sack. But dont get trapped into the pick-6. Its VERY rare for a DE to take it to the house and aside from that score he was only 2 solos and an assist.

Ray McDonald? Its that old adage about opportunity > ability in IDP here. V.Average defender, just in the right place at the right time. Decent add for that reason alone.

Was a big fan of Michael Johnson (now that Zimmer has stopped messing about with him at SLB!) but he didnt inspire me much this weekend. Was left a little disappointed with what i saw. Think he left alot on the field against CLE :(

Id probably go Melton > McDonald > Biermann >> Johnson >>>>> Nield

FWIW you might want to keep an eye on the NEP game. Im hoping for a nice game from Mark Anderson (the sexier pick is Andre Carter or Mike Wright, but im hoping we get the Anderson of old :eusa_pray: as he was beastly!), but others to watch tonight are the DEN DL which has undergone yet ANOTHER big change so someone might emerge & Lamarr Hosuton for OAK.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Mon 09.12.2011, 14:09 
Offline
HammerHead Shark
User avatar

Joined: Fri 09.15.2006, 13:49
Posts: 981
Sand$: 2964
Donate
Location: Cary, NC
car.gif
Thanks for the great breakdown.

Yes, brain fart. I have Carlos Dunlap and James Hall.

I'll be watching tonight and then decide on Melton, McDonald, or one of the guys who plays tonight. Actually, I might just go ahead and grab Melton and then see if there is someone else playing tonight I should pick up, too.

_________________
North State Spartans, 16tm dyno
QB Brady,Cutler
RB AP,McCoy,Charles,Carter,White,Green,Tate
WR AJ,Calvin,Thomas,Nelson,Collie,Washington,Haywardbey
TE Graham,Cook
K Bailey
DL Johnson,Bennett
LB Urlacher,Lee,Bowman,Angerer
DB Chancellor,Burnett,Houston


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Mon 09.12.2011, 14:13 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon

Joined: Tue 08.18.2009, 16:31
Posts: 10102
Sand$: 14747
Donate
Location: twitter.com/deeperanddown
Mikeheel wrote:
Thanks for the great breakdown.

Yes, brain fart. I have Carlos Dunlap and James Hall.

I'll be watching tonight and then decide on Melton, McDonald, or one of the guys who plays tonight. Actually, I might just go ahead and grab Melton and then see if there is someone else playing tonight I should pick up, too.


Good plan ref: Melton :thumbright:

Dunlap is another player with upside, but a rotational rusher ... If it werent for your scoring (2pts per sack) id say keep him (9.5 sacks in limited play time as a situational pass rusher last year) but with solo tackles being worth the same as a sack :dontknow: ? Id say youre right to want to upgrade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Mon 09.12.2011, 14:47 
Offline
HammerHead Shark
User avatar

Joined: Fri 09.15.2006, 13:49
Posts: 981
Sand$: 2964
Donate
Location: Cary, NC
car.gif
Thanks. Got Melton.

Checked the scoring. Sack should be three, but site has it as two. Looks like simple mistake. Asking commish to fix. Still low, but better than two.

_________________
North State Spartans, 16tm dyno
QB Brady,Cutler
RB AP,McCoy,Charles,Carter,White,Green,Tate
WR AJ,Calvin,Thomas,Nelson,Collie,Washington,Haywardbey
TE Graham,Cook
K Bailey
DL Johnson,Bennett
LB Urlacher,Lee,Bowman,Angerer
DB Chancellor,Burnett,Houston


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Mon 09.12.2011, 17:43 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Thu 10.21.2004, 18:12
Posts: 2576
Sand$: 6773
Donate
Location: Roaming the Secondary
cle.gif
jamcutpost wrote:
Mikeheel wrote:
Thanks for the great breakdown.

Yes, brain fart. I have Carlos Dunlap and James Hall.

I'll be watching tonight and then decide on Melton, McDonald, or one of the guys who plays tonight. Actually, I might just go ahead and grab Melton and then see if there is someone else playing tonight I should pick up, too.


Good plan ref: Melton :thumbright:

Dunlap is another player with upside, but a rotational rusher ... If it werent for your scoring (2pts per sack) id say keep him (9.5 sacks in limited play time as a situational pass rusher last year) but with solo tackles being worth the same as a sack :dontknow: ? Id say youre right to want to upgrade


Agree about Dunlap. In that scoring system I'd prefer to have Johnson, who I actually think had an OK game (I watched the whole stinking, infuriating, maddening thing), although it didn't show up in the box score, which happens from time to time with DL.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go jab another pin into my Ray Edwards voodoo doll (nice turd in a sweet matchup, you bum). ](*,)

_________________
Image

Follow IDPManor on Twitter!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Tue 09.13.2011, 10:40 
Offline
HammerHead Shark
User avatar

Joined: Fri 09.15.2006, 13:49
Posts: 981
Sand$: 2964
Donate
Location: Cary, NC
car.gif
Now have:
James Hall
Ray McDonald
Henry Melton
Michael Johnson

Notable FA DL still available are (in order of week 1 scoring in our league):
Kroy Biermann
Chris Nield
Mike Devito
Antonio Smith
Drake Nevis
Aaron Kampman (will have to clear waivers)

Was also thinking of offering Hall and Johnson for Trent Cole. Any thoughts on that idea? Is that just stupid? Remember, this is our first year going IDP, and Cole had a so-so game, so I'm thinking the guy might go for it.

Also, another guy has offered me Kiwanuka (counts as DL in our league) and Briggs for Cutler (my Brady backup) and Urlacher. That has some appeal, but I'm not sure about it.

_________________
North State Spartans, 16tm dyno
QB Brady,Cutler
RB AP,McCoy,Charles,Carter,White,Green,Tate
WR AJ,Calvin,Thomas,Nelson,Collie,Washington,Haywardbey
TE Graham,Cook
K Bailey
DL Johnson,Bennett
LB Urlacher,Lee,Bowman,Angerer
DB Chancellor,Burnett,Houston


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Tue 09.13.2011, 11:18 
Offline
SandShark

Joined: Wed 09.08.2010, 15:37
Posts: 90
Sand$: 238
Donate
See if Will Smith is available, he's on a 2 game suspension , but one to sneak under the radar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Tue 09.13.2011, 12:37 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon

Joined: Tue 08.18.2009, 16:31
Posts: 10102
Sand$: 14747
Donate
Location: twitter.com/deeperanddown
Pick up Aaron Kampman and ill send Gary round your house to smack you upside the head (He hits harder than i can - ask Tony!) :)

Seriously, step away from the injury prone and not all that talented player :D

Will Smith is a good shout btw from TBW ^^ :thumbright:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Tue 09.13.2011, 12:46 
Offline
HammerHead Shark
User avatar

Joined: Fri 09.15.2006, 13:49
Posts: 981
Sand$: 2964
Donate
Location: Cary, NC
car.gif
Thanks. Smith is still rostered.

Any feedback on the two trade possibilities?

I'm feeling better about my DL now.

_________________
North State Spartans, 16tm dyno
QB Brady,Cutler
RB AP,McCoy,Charles,Carter,White,Green,Tate
WR AJ,Calvin,Thomas,Nelson,Collie,Washington,Haywardbey
TE Graham,Cook
K Bailey
DL Johnson,Bennett
LB Urlacher,Lee,Bowman,Angerer
DB Chancellor,Burnett,Houston


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Tue 09.13.2011, 13:20 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon

Joined: Tue 08.18.2009, 16:31
Posts: 10102
Sand$: 14747
Donate
Location: twitter.com/deeperanddown
Mikeheel wrote:
Thanks. Smith is still rostered.

Any feedback on the two trade possibilities?

I'm feeling better about my DL now.


Mikeheel wrote:
Thanks. Smith is still rostered.

Any feedback on the two trade possibilities?

I'm feeling better about my DL now.


The 1st trade isnt bad actually - i like it alot actually and would make it.

James Hall has Quinn behind him and is in his mid 30s and whilst i like Michael Johnson as a sleeper this year hes nowhere near the player Trent Cole already is (44 sacks in 4 seasons, 28 and playing in Washburn's/TEN's wide 9 DL formation)

Classic buy-low imho if someone is impatient enough to want to deal.


The 2nd one i wouldnt touch with a barge pole if youre in a dyna. Kiwi is useful with his nebulous positional application, but even the worst sites (ESPN, Yahoo etc) all catch up and reclassify them (albeit a year behind the curve).

Net result? Youll cut Kiwi in 2012. Bank on it. Briggs is a good player but hes over 30 and has 3 yrs left on a fat contract. Im not seeing much upside w/him in 2012 and beyond either :(

Overall, i know Cutler is your backup QB but he has ALOT more upside than whats on the table currently bearing in mind youre already stacked at LB and the rest of your IDPs look tidy enough :)


Anyone else see the two trades any differently?

James Hall + Michael Johnson = Trent Cole
Lance Briggs + Mathias Kiwanuka (DE in this format) = Jay Cutler (his Brady backup)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need DL Help
PostPosted: Wed 09.14.2011, 12:13 
Offline
HammerHead Shark
User avatar

Joined: Fri 09.15.2006, 13:49
Posts: 981
Sand$: 2964
Donate
Location: Cary, NC
car.gif
Thanks. Refused the offered trade (Briggs & Kiwi for Urlacher and Cutler).

Offered Johnson and Hall for Cole. No response yet. We'll see.

_________________
North State Spartans, 16tm dyno
QB Brady,Cutler
RB AP,McCoy,Charles,Carter,White,Green,Tate
WR AJ,Calvin,Thomas,Nelson,Collie,Washington,Haywardbey
TE Graham,Cook
K Bailey
DL Johnson,Bennett
LB Urlacher,Lee,Bowman,Angerer
DB Chancellor,Burnett,Houston


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group