FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 11.27.2014, 21:52

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Miami....
PostPosted: Tue 08.16.2011, 18:45 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1926
Donate
ten.gif
The more I read of this the more I am amazed...

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

I mean this stuff is too good to make up - hookers, money, yachts, gifts, even an abortion thrown in... wow...

I wonder just how bad it's going to be in the end for the Canes?

Fantasy Football Extravaganza
Squalid Ancient Chaps
Blow it up! College Fantasy League

Post subject: Re: Miami....
PostPosted: Wed 08.17.2011, 12:30 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 10638
Donate
They are going to get hammered.

PostPosted: Wed 08.17.2011, 16:08 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 175639
Donate
dal.gif
death penalty....i can't see them not getting it.

PostPosted: Wed 08.17.2011, 19:30 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37194
Donate
pit.gif
I wonder how much Al Golden knew of this when he took over the job.. Cause if he didn't know anything he's really SOL cause he's gonna struggle to get good players that want to play at Miami with all the sanctions they're gonna have coming.

The story about paying for the hooker and then paying for the abortion.. yikes.

2012 Deep Black Dynasty Champion

PostPosted: Thu 08.18.2011, 00:06 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 2
Donate
Location: Don't let the name change fool you. Still a Vikes fan for life!
min.gif
marty1841 wrote:

that's what I'm thinking, too..

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks

PostPosted: Thu 08.18.2011, 06:53 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
dal.gif
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
marty1841 wrote:

the accusations are just too much, and couple that with some coaches being involved, and the likelihood of the administration knowing something about it? no matter how much some people say it's not going to happen....i truly feel it's going to happen.

i can't believe there's not more discussion of it in here.

PostPosted: Thu 08.18.2011, 09:19 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1926
Donate
ten.gif
marty1841 wrote:
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
marty1841 wrote:

the accusations are just too much, and couple that with some coaches being involved, and the likelihood of the administration knowing something about it? no matter how much some people say it's not going to happen....i truly feel it's going to happen.

i can't believe there's not more discussion of it in here.

The more I think about the death penalty scenario, the more plausible it seems to me. Here's why:

1) The NCAA got embarrassed by the way they handled the whole Reggie Bush thing. Everyone knew something was wrong with Bush and USC and years after the fact they finally do something about it. That made the NCAA look bad.

2) Last year the NCAA got embarrassed once more with the Cam Newton saga. A player's dad shopped his son around, admitted to it, and that player was declared ineligible for less than 24 hours before being reinstated. Regardless of whether money actually changed hands, the whole thing exposed a 'loophole' of sorts in the rules and the NCAA had egg on their collective faces again.

So post Bush/Newton the NCAA has decided the best way to change their image is to come out swinging. We've seen it all over the college football world this year - Oregon, LSU, Ga. Tech, UNC, - just to name a few. They are out to show that they mean business, that you better follow the rules or else - period. With this Miami thing, they may actually have a case that justifies their harshest penalties once again, and they don't have to be afraid to use them.

I know at lot of the so called 'experts' say it won't happen. Those experts reason that there is too much at stake with conference TV contracts and revenue for anyone (at least a 'major' program) to receive the "death penalty". However, if the NCAA is hell bent on making an example out of someone, and they want to put the fear of the hammer in the rest of the college football world, they won't find a better opportunity to do so than with Miami.

Fantasy Football Extravaganza
Squalid Ancient Chaps
Blow it up! College Fantasy League

PostPosted: Thu 08.18.2011, 10:36 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 119223
Donate
min.gif
Its the return to swag

PostPosted: Thu 08.18.2011, 12:18 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
Now some people are saying college athletes should be paid, because of this. I think that is ridiculous. Free school at a major university for playing a sport seems like a fair trade to me.

IMO, it's naive to think that paying athletes will fix this problem. The boosters will just continue handing out money. "Sure, you get some money now, but I will give you even MORE money!"

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks

PostPosted: Thu 08.18.2011, 12:24 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
dal.gif
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
Now some people are saying college athletes should be paid, because of this. I think that is ridiculous. Free school at a major university for playing a sport seems like a fair trade to me.

just curious about what your thoughts are for partial-scholarship athletes....or walk-ons.

PostPosted: Thu 08.18.2011, 12:39 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
marty1841 wrote:
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:

just curious about what your thoughts are for partial-scholarship athletes....or walk-ons.

Still don't think they should be paid.

My view has always been that playing a sport in college is a choice you have to make. And if the school decides they don't want to pay you (scholarship) to play for them, you have to decide if it's really what you want to.

Just my .02

-Herb Brooks

PostPosted: Thu 08.18.2011, 13:27 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
dal.gif
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
marty1841 wrote:
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:

Still don't think they should be paid.

My view has always been that playing a sport in college is a choice you have to make. And if the school decides they don't want to pay you (scholarship) to play for them, you have to decide if it's really what you want to.

Just my .02

while i agree that there should be no payment to the athletes, the NCAA has to do something to make it feasible for those kids to play. some are not able to afford school on their own, and playing sports makes it the only thing that is worthwhile, and keeps them motivated.

PostPosted: Thu 08.18.2011, 18:05 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 119223
Donate
min.gif
I think what we should see is that anyone involved in/on roster should be full ride.. as in including meal plans (outside of post practice/game 'training table') and on campus living/dorm expenses.

screw paying them - that'll only add to the potential trouble problems.

If they want they can certainly get a job for extra money.

PostPosted: Thu 08.18.2011, 18:08 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 53937
Donate
sf.gif
I don't have a problem with college athletes receiving some nominal weekly/monthly payment. If you're an athlete, you have little opportunity to get a part/full time job so you have a bit of spending money to at least take your girlfriend on a date every once in a while or go down to McDonalds and buy a Big Mac. Many of these kids come from families that can't afford to even send a few dollars to their kid. Many/most(?) are grateful for the free ride but there's more to life, especially for a young kid, than studying and practice.

There would need to be some stipulations. 1) If a school pays their athletes, they'd have to pay all their scholarship athletes the same amount no matter the sport/sex. 2) The amount would need to be no more than $X (amount set by NCAA). 3) Other?

Will there be abuse. Probably, but how is that any different from now? At the least, it will be easier for the 'good' kids to say no to that envelope slipped under the table. No the stipend is very likely not as much as what's in the envelope but the amount in the envelope is not important in many cases. It's being able to be a kid every once in a while and not studying/practicing. And the argument that says hey, they're paid, they're getting a free ride with the scholarship doesn't take into account the fundamental difference between an athletic scholarship and an academic scholarship. The athlete is expected to keep his grades up AND spend a big part of their time training, traveling, and competing leaving little to no time for the aforementioned part time jobs. The students with the academic scholarships are just expected to keep their grades up to some standard. They have more opportunity, if need be, for that job that would allow them to take their sweetie on a date.

PostPosted: Thu 08.18.2011, 18:39 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
dal.gif
birddog wrote:
I think what we should see is that anyone involved in/on roster should be full ride.. as in including meal plans (outside of post practice/game 'training table') and on campus living/dorm expenses.

screw paying them - that'll only add to the potential trouble problems.

If they want they can certainly get a job for extra money.

there in lies the rub. there's no way they 1) have enough time to do that 2) are able to, period. i am not 100% sure, but i believe there's a stipulation in NCAA rules that don't allow scholarship athletes to have jobs.

also, what about smaller schools in other programs....there's no way that EVERYONE on a roster can be on a full ride, that's frankly ridiculous. many teams can't field a full baseball team with the scholarships they have.