FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 09.30.2014, 08:52

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue 12.21.2004, 18:04 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 527
Donate
det.gif
Here's the story... I apologize if this has already been posted! First step, in my opinion, toward a playoff in NCAA football... About time.... your thoughts sharks?

NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 5:54 p.m. ET Dec. 21, 2004

The Associated Press has pulled its poll from the Bowl Championship Series as part of the method of picking the teams for the national championship game and the three other BCS bowls effective next year, the Boston Globe reported Tuesday.

Big 12 commissioner and BCS coordinator Kevin Weiberg said he received a letter from the AP indicating it did not want to be a part of the BCS system, which has been a subject of controversy since its inception.

"We respect the decision of the Associated Press to no longer have its poll included in the BCS standings,'' Weiberg said in a statement, the Boston Globe reported. "Since the inception of the BCS, the AP poll has been part of our standings. We appreciate the cooperation we have received from the organization in providing rankings on a weekly basis. We will discuss alternatives to the Associated Press poll at the upcoming BCS meetings and plan to conclude our evaluation of the BCS standings formula, including any other possible changes by our April meeting.''

The BCS picks eight teams for the four major bowls: Orange, Rose, Sugar, and Fiesta. The BCS uses a combination consisting of the AP poll, the ESPN/USA Today poll (coaches) and several computer rankings. Each segment is worth one-third in picking the teams.

The latest BCS controversy occurred this year, when some AP voters put Texas ahead of California in the final rankings. That enabled Texas to reach the Rose Bowl, while Cal was shut out of a BCS bowl.

TE: Ben Watson
K: S. Gostkowski
DEF: San Diego
D: L. Briggs
DL: K. Morrison
DB: T. Polamalu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 12.21.2004, 21:23 

Sand$: 2254
Donate
den.gif
They need to dismantle the BCS system and start over! but this is wishful thinking on my part because their is to much money involved. I think the AP made a smart move

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 12.21.2004, 21:25 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 463
Donate
min.gif
I saw that, and I think it's great. Maybe it will be the first step in dismantling the whole messed up system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 12.21.2004, 21:26 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13381
Donate
car.gif
Bah they need to trash the BCS system and come up with some way of doing a playoffs like the NFL does.

I know, I know, it's a daunting task considering the number of teams. But I'm sure that they could come up with something workable if they really cared. BCS is so much trash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12.22.2004, 07:47 

Sand$: 8717
Donate
sf.gif
Maybe this is the first step to a playoff, although I think they will just use the computers, and the ESPN poll next year. The BCS is not going anywhere soon because of the TV contracts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 12.25.2004, 03:25 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 2663
Donate
was.gif
dukeman_92 wrote:
Maybe this is the first step to a playoff, although I think they will just use the computers, and the ESPN poll next year. The BCS is not going anywhere soon because of the TV contracts.
Very true, but this does make for an interesting post season next year.

Extreme Sharks Baseball 2011 Champion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 12.25.2004, 15:12 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 26428
Donate
elnator wrote:
Bah they need to trash the BCS system and come up with some way of doing a playoffs like the NFL does.

I know, I know, it's a daunting task considering the number of teams. But I'm sure that they could come up with something workable if they really cared. BCS is so much trash.

Division I-AA, II, and III do playoffs just fine. The reason why it doesn't work right now is because the bowl honchos pay off the conferences lavishly to maintain the current system.

Ironically, the poll that messed things up this season will be the one left in the system. Texas actively lobbied other coaches to bump Texas up and move Cal down past #6. Boo, hiss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 12.25.2004, 16:34 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1225
Donate
dal.gif
Agenda42 wrote:
elnator wrote:

Division I-AA, II, and III do playoffs just fine. The reason why it doesn't work right now is because the bowl honchos pay off the conferences lavishly to maintain the current system.

Ironically, the poll that messed things up this season will be the one left in the system. Texas actively lobbied other coaches to bump Texas up and move Cal down past #6. Boo, hiss.

Texas is in a BCS Bowl and Cal aint!!! BooYaa!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 12.25.2004, 17:18 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 19744
Donate
sea.gif
Agenda42 wrote:

I agree. That was total crap.

Kudos to the AP for starting the chain reaction; although this will only make matters worse before it gets better because coaches have to be the most biased group of voters you could ever hope to assemble. They all have friends coaching at other schools and owe favors to other coaches and other programs. Plus you have itra-conference interest because if Texas goes to a BCS game, ALL the teams in the Big 12 get a hefty chunk of change.