FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 10.25.2014, 02:03

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Soccer for Dummies
PostPosted: Wed 06.11.2008, 10:29 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 121212
Donate
sf.gif
This worked in the College Basketball forum, so I thought I'd try it here. I know basically nothing about the other football, and am looking for some help in giving it another try.

First off, what's the deal with the clock?

Mostly though, what are you looking for in a good game of soccer? For example, I can tell you what's great about a 1-0 game of baseball that otherwise, to most people, would seem boring as hell. In soccer, I see a lot of middle game without a lot of progress. What am I missing?

Links: nfl, fantasy football, and fantasy football myths

Post subject: Re: Soccer for Dummies
PostPosted: Wed 06.11.2008, 11:01 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37134
Donate
pit.gif
CleffedUp wrote:
This worked in the College Basketball forum, so I thought I'd try it here. I know basically nothing about the other football, and am looking for some help in giving it another try.

First off, what's the deal with the clock?

Mostly though, what are you looking for in a good game of soccer? For example, I can tell you what's great about a 1-0 game of baseball that otherwise, to most people, would seem boring as hell. In soccer, I see a lot of middle game without a lot of progress. What am I missing?

Clock counts up from 1-90. Halftime is at 45, with stoppage time at the end of the half. It's the same with the second half. Stoppage time is an estimated time that was not played in the 45 minutes, since the clock does not stop. This accounts for injuries and such.

When I watch a game, I like to see a high level of play. That doesn't mean it needs to be a 5-4 game, but good, hard tackles, solid attacking, strong finishes, not cheap goals.

2012 Deep Black Dynasty Champion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06.11.2008, 11:14 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
sf.gif
LaSean4Heisman wrote:
When I watch a game, I like to see a high level of play. That doesn't mean it needs to be a 5-4 game, but good, hard tackles, solid attacking, strong finishes, not cheap goals.

Sounds good. For anyone keeping score at home...
Tackle: an attempt by a defender to kick the ball away from an attacker

http://www.sayso.org/glossary.htm

Apart from tackles, what else is there to look for in the middle game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06.11.2008, 11:49 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
sf.gif
Okay, back to the clock, is the actual duration of the stoppage time a secret? The announcers don't seem to know, and it's not on the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06.11.2008, 13:01 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
CleffedUp wrote:
Okay, back to the clock, is the actual duration of the stoppage time a secret? The announcers don't seem to know, and it's not on the screen.

The referee decides I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06.11.2008, 20:05 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 102
Donate
hou.gif
Yes, the amount of stoppage time is up to the discretion of the referee...

FIFA mandates 30 seconds be added for every substitution...but other than that, it's up to the ref....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06.11.2008, 22:01 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
sf.gif
Thanks guys. But does the ref actually tell anyone how long stoppage time will be, or do people just keep playing past 90 until the whistle blows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 06.12.2008, 01:01 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 17278
Donate
sf.gif
usually when the clock approaches the 45 or 90 minute mark they will put up the amount of stoppage time being added.....if they show the Midfield line on a wide shot there is someone holding up a sign that says how many minutes are being added. And at that time the announcers try and announce how much time was added, but after they say it they rarely mention it again....and this added time is not 100% accurate it could be 20 seconds more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 06.12.2008, 17:23 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 411
Donate
phi.gif
You guys are all correct.

Stoppage time is the referees estimation of how much of the games 90 minutes were not played due to injury, free kicks, or other stoppages. It is an estimation in the true sense of the word, and is rarely ever exact.

As to what to look for, I like to see a game with hard tackles, solid attacking by both sides, and good ball movement in a team's mid field. Goals aren't what count when watching, it's watching the attack and the setup that lead to the goal chances.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 06.12.2008, 19:55 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
The Peoples Champ wrote:
You guys are all correct.

Stoppage time is the referees estimation of how much of the games 90 minutes were not played due to injury, free kicks, or other stoppages. It is an estimation in the true sense of the word, and is rarely ever exact.

As to what to look for, I like to see a game with hard tackles, solid attacking by both sides, and good ball movement in a team's mid field. Goals aren't what count when watching, it's watching the attack and the setup that lead to the goal chances.

Hope this helps.

What he said. When attacking, watch to see how crisp the passes are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 06.12.2008, 22:25 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
phi.gif
Something I thought of..

I'm emphasizing again to watch the set-up and development of an attack. If you tune into a soccer game just to see the goals, your going to be disappointed, like most Americans tend to become.

Watch the crispness of the passes, and pay attention to that is called a through ball, which is when the attacking player with the ball plays it through two defenders to an open man.

Watch for headers or volleys of off crosses. Always an exciting part of the game, and have provided a few goals already in the tournement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 06.13.2008, 01:52 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 17278
Donate
sf.gif
watching European and South American soccer is the best, but as a father of a 6 and 5 year old watching them play is great....My 6 year old already gets it, and has no confidence in his teammates as they do not get it...he scores 5 goals a game and makes 10 solid tackles every game....my 5 year old is in a learn to play program where they scrimmage 4 v 4 and he dominates cuz he plays with his brother and cousins all the time...he has actually played for my oldests team a few times and sometimes dominates them....it is so much fun to witness.

I guess I lucked out that at such a young age my sons love sports and want to win at all costs....my wife and I help with coaching and try to emphasize that they need to pass and incorporate their teammates, but they have no trust in the other teammates and would rather do it themselves....when they hear us yelling at them to pas they pass...but then when johnny is playing with the grass they throw their arms in the air and get mad at us....quite amusing.

At their ages they have participated in (oldest): Soccer, Ice Hockey, Flag Football, T-Ball ( no tees though), and Wrestling.

My youngest has played organized soccer and wrestling, did not like Hockey though and too young for the others thus far....but always wants to play catch in the yard....I was afraid he was not going to be an athlete, but for the last 3 months I can not get him to stop playing sports.....soccer, football, baseball, golf. The 2 of them are die hard Yankees fans and watch every game....and get mad at me if I change the channel during commercials.....if yanks are not on they watch Mets or Red Sox, even though they hate the Sox....first words courtesy of thier mother "Red Sox Suck!!!!!!"

Kids are great and they have been watching the Euro Cup with me and emulate the headers in the Living Room with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 06.13.2008, 03:00 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
sf.gif
The Peoples Champ wrote:
I'm emphasizing again to watch the set-up and development of an attack.

Ahhhhh... This poses a logistical problem created by (don't tell JBG I said this) TV camera men. For the same reason you wouldn't sit down to play chess through a telescope, it's hard to see an attack setup through such a small view of such a wide field. In tennis you see the full court, a student of baseball just knows where everyone is given the situation, but pointy football kinda has the same problem though not to the same extent since you can more or less count the formations out there on your fingers. If any sport needs more wide shots during lulls in play, it's probably soccer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06.14.2008, 09:47 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
phi.gif
CleffedUp wrote:
The Peoples Champ wrote:
I'm emphasizing again to watch the set-up and development of an attack.

Ahhhhh... This poses a logistical problem created by (don't tell JBG I said this) TV camera men. For the same reason you wouldn't sit down to play chess through a telescope, it's hard to see an attack setup through such a small view of such a wide field. In tennis you see the full court, a student of baseball just knows where everyone is given the situation, but pointy football kinda has the same problem though not to the same extent since you can more or less count the formations out there on your fingers. If any sport needs more wide shots during lulls in play, it's probably soccer.

Your exactly right. Most set-ups aren't even noticed until there near the attacking area, and by then it's usually a cross and a header/voller/clearence.

Some people like myself kind of have a feel for what the formations and such look like cause I play the game, but for others I would definitly agree that wider angle shots would be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06.18.2008, 19:10 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
sf.gif
Alright, here's a new one -- Why is there always a bunch of guys raising their hands after a ball goes out of bounds?