FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Fri 10.31.2014, 19:25

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue 11.16.2010, 09:35 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 522
Donate
den.gif
Anyone know of a tool (online or offline) that I can use to load up the teams/standings/schedule for my league that will then determine the playoff scenarios for me?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue 11.16.2010, 11:29 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36782
Donate
car.gif
What are you looking for?

Are you trying to actually calculate odds of teams making the playoffs? If so then I'd say no such thing actually exists. It's still just projections that someone's making up and waaaaay too many variables to realistically guess correctly.

You should have a clear process in place to break ties and determine playoff eligibility and seedings when playoffs reach here. You aren't looking for that type of thing in week 11 are you?

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Tue 11.16.2010, 11:53 
Tiger Shark

Donate
den.gif
Was just curious to see if there was anything out there...

Something like the NFL puts out towards the end of the regular season saying "Team A has clinched a playoff spot - but can clinch the #1 seed if they finish 2-1-0 or if Team B loses 1 game"...

I figured nothing existed - just thought I'd ask.

We do have clear rules (most provided by the site and/or league setup) that will determine tie-breakers, seeding, etc. Just wanted to give the owners a glimpse at some of the possible playoff scenarios as we come down the stretch of the last 3 regular season games for our league.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue 11.16.2010, 12:08 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1534
Donate
chi.gif
itlnstln2k wrote:

Something like the NFL puts out towards the end of the regular season saying "Team A has clinched a playoff spot - but can clinch the #1 seed if they finish 2-1-0 or if Team B loses 1 game"...

We do have clear rules (most provided by the site and/or league setup) that will determine tie-breakers, seeding, etc. Just wanted to give the owners a glimpse at some of the possible playoff scenarios as we come down the stretch of the last 3 regular season games for our league.

Thanks

I've never seen a service that does this, though I do this myself manually - it's not difficult at all in my league, which has 12 teams, no divisions, and total points scored as the first tiebreaker.

The simplest way to do it by hand is to look at it this way - for each possible scenario, look at how many games ahead of the 7th place team (or first place that isn't in the playoffs) a given team would be. If a team would be three games up with two to play, they'll have clinched a spot. Two games up with two to play? Nope.

(Since I enjoy doing this kind of thing, feel free to PM me with any specific questions you have.)

PostPosted: Tue 11.16.2010, 13:48 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
itlnstln2k wrote:

Thanks

Yep, as Eddo noted it's something that you'll likely have to do by hand. There's too many variables to scheduling and tiebreakers to do it otherwise.

One thing I'd suggest, too, is to try to stack divisional games at the end of the season (if you use divisions). Next week begins the divisional games again in my main league and it definitely keeps people active as they can make up tons of ground in those 3 weeks.

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Tue 11.16.2010, 14:07 
Tiger Shark

Donate
den.gif
That's exactly the way I set the schedule up!

This is the first year of our league (I've been playing since '02, but this is my first experience as commissioner) - only 8 teams for this year (expanding to 10 next year) - so I set up 2 4-team divisions with weeks 1-3 & 11-13 being division games.

I appreciate the responses fellas - definitely getting somewhere with manually generating these scenarios thanks to your advice!

PostPosted: Tue 11.16.2010, 14:14 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
itlnstln2k wrote:
That's exactly the way I set the schedule up!

This is the first year of our league (I've been playing since '02, but this is my first experience as commissioner) - only 8 teams for this year (expanding to 10 next year) - so I set up 2 4-team divisions with weeks 1-3 & 11-13 being division games.

I appreciate the responses fellas - definitely getting somewhere with manually generating these scenarios thanks to your advice!

Welcome to the club. Drinks are at 6, dinner at 8. Of course you'll have the hazing of a 1st year but you'll get numb to it after an hour or so.

Feel free to ask anything we can help with! (besides grammar ur speeling, obviously)

PostPosted: Tue 11.16.2010, 15:02 
Mako Shark

Donate
chi.gif
While we're on the topic of scheduling, I came up with a pretty satisfactory solution for 13-week, 12-team, keeper leagues (this would also work for redraft, if you keep the same group in tact).

The first 11 weeks are random, and you play each other team once. Of course, with two more weeks, you must wind up playing two teams twice each. So who do you play?

First, everyone has a "rival". This works out excellently in my league, except for one default pairing. Some pairs have even incorporated funny trophies, like in college football (my friend and I play for a stocking hat that has a backstory between us). This game is scheduled for the final week of the year. Obviously, everyone wants to beat their rival.

The second duplicated game is based off strength-of-schedule, in a way. Skipping rivalries, of course, the #1 and #2 teams from the previous year play against each other, as do the #3 and #4, #5 and #6, etc. This works out especially well in a keeper league.

PostPosted: Tue 11.16.2010, 17:14 
Mako Shark

Donate
chi.gif
pwbowen wrote:
Welcome to the club. Drinks are at 6, dinner at 8. Of course you'll have the hazing of a 1st year but you'll get numb to it after an hour or so.

Feel free to ask anything we can help with! (besides grammar ur speeling, obviously)

This. Every time I come back to here from the Main Tank, I re-realize that this is the best forum on the site. Much more civil, rational, and intelligent. Please, stay and join us!

PostPosted: Tue 11.16.2010, 18:16 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
Eddo wrote:
pwbowen wrote:

This. Every time I come back to here from the Main Tank, I re-realize that this is the best forum on the site. Much more civil, rational, and intelligent. Please, stay and join us!

Stepford Commissioners?!?

PostPosted: Tue 11.16.2010, 18:43 
Mako Shark

Donate
chi.gif
pwbowen wrote:
Eddo wrote:
pwbowen wrote:

Stepford Commissioners?!?

Haha, nice.