FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 07.29.2014, 11:47

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed 11.09.2011, 08:07 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 50599
Donate
james10011 wrote:
cowanj2005 wrote:
james10011 wrote:
FutBol wrote:
james10011 wrote:
At this point its purely intellectual but would it have changed anyone's minds if it was only my team moving from 1st to 2nd with no other playoff seeding affected? In that situation does it become a lot more tolerable or would that still warrant a ban from most of you?

Edit: oops, I didn't realize anyone actually caught that question. Sorry for asking it again.

:D

Fun discussion tonight, boys.

Agreed. I didn't mean to come across as argumentative, I just wanted to flush out the reasoning as much as possible to really understand the situation. "Yes, that's fine" and "No, that's bad" don't help anyone lol. I appreciate all the insight, thanks everyone.

sorry for being a douche... i really read your playing of devils advocate as being argumentative. glad you were actually listening and not wasting time. my bad. don't tell my wife i said sorry, she has no clue that's in my vocabulary. for the sake of your league i'm glad you decided to do what's best. good luck in your playoffs!

No problem! Good luck to you too! 16 team IDP, a little too ambitious for me lol.

And this is why the Commissioner's Corner is pw's favorite.

Me, personally, I feel a true competitor takes on all comers, regardless of the situation. Sorry I missed this thread last night. Dead to the world.

"They talk of democracy, freedom, fairness. Those are the creeds of cowards! The ones who would listen to a thousand view points and try to satisfy them all. Achievement comes through absolute power! And power through strength! They have lost!"

PostPosted: Wed 11.09.2011, 11:01 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 485
Donate
sf.gif
cowanj2005 wrote:
don't tell my wife i said sorry, she has no clue that's in my vocabulary.

No matter what else happens in these conversations, the number one rule is that we never ever rat each other out to wives.

Man Law!

PostPosted: Wed 11.09.2011, 11:16 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 485
Donate
sf.gif
neal123454 wrote:
pinksheets wrote:
FutBol wrote:

Some of the same comments you listed above can be applied to other questionable moves. Player lending is an easy example. Lending players to an opponent to help beat a division rival would be similar. Free agent churning is another. They have all been used by people with the thought of being "strategy moves". You may still even find leagues that don't prevent it. My guess is that leagues where these moves occur are in the early stages or by inexperienced players who think they just stumbled on a great loophole.

^ This is what it all boils down to. The only reason there isn't a specific rule against this in a lot of leagues is that it just hasn't come up in a way that it's become a widespread issue. It's exactly like the moves FutBol listed above, it just hasn't been used as widely, and a 1-game tank (especially if you just insert bench depth/a guy "you didn't know" was out for the week, etc.) isn't going to get noticed.

I beg to differ. I understand Futbol was addressing the broken logic in the "strategy moves" argument. But I don't view churning and throwing a game the same way. And I definitely don't put colluding with other owners in the same pile.

I can not articulate exactly why 1 urks me and the other does not. Maybe I think an owner with a locked up playoff spot has sort of earned the ability to do as he pleases. If a team is knocked out because of it, it's tough, but the spurned owner didn't do enough to get in. Honestly, if I was that spurned owner it would not bother me.

Again, I can't say I would actually throw a game--4 pages already on this topic is indicative of the type of response you can expect from a lot of people.

You got me right, Neal. It was more a matter of the "strategy" argument, and exactly why I referred to them as other questionable moves. They all can be viewed as different levels of acceptability or douchery.

I imagine the difference you feel is because only one of them is a move to intentionally hurt yourself (in the short term) where something like churning is to hurt an opponent.

PostPosted: Wed 11.09.2011, 13:42 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6671
Donate
cin.gif
FutBol wrote:
I imagine the difference you feel is because only one of them is a move to intentionally hurt yourself (in the short term) where something like churning is to hurt an opponent.

That makes more sense than the guesses I had.

PostPosted: Mon 12.12.2011, 17:13 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 745
Donate
car.gif
FutBol wrote:
I think it generally falls under the same concept as teams that leave injured and bye week players in a lineup. It gives some teams an unearned win, and that has the potential to change playoff team eligibility. Technically, it is only your responsibility to worry about your own team, but if you were fighting for a playoff spot and someone you were fighting against got that unearned victory because a strong team intentionally threw a game, you'd see the inequality.

Every team in a league should be putting out the best team they can each week. That is your intention when you draft, and it should be every game you play, and you should be able to have the same expectation of every team in the league.

Couldn't have said it better.