User avatar
HammerHead Shark
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 8, 2010
Sand$: 9,446.42
This year I had the unfortunate circumstance of mid-season our Commisioner passing away after a 20+ year battle with MS. In his 12 years as commisioner, he found himself many times on the outside looking in when the playoffs rolled around. We have dedicated the League trophy in his name, but it has never shown up on the Super Bowl Champion name plate.

In a scenario built for an ABC movie special, his team has found it's way locking up a Division title and in great position heading into the playoffs. My question is, if he is able to make his way to the Super Bowl, should his opponent "lie down" to pave the way to a posthumous Super Bowl Championship????

Part of me feels as though he wouldn't have wanted it to happen this way, but I am compelled to feel, it is just the right thing to do! What would the Sharks DO??????
_______________________________________

Image
User avatar
Tiger Shark
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007
Sand$: 675.18
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I'm sure it's a tough thing to deal with.

That being said, he didn't sound like the type that would have wanted people laying down for him. I think you appoint someone to take control of his team, and put the best possible starting lineup out there for him each week. His opponents should approach him as they normally would.

If he wins it legitimately, that's awesome. If he's eliminated, then create some way to honor him.

My two cents. Again, sorry about your friend. Best wishes to you and to his family.
_______________________________________

CEO: Devastation Incorporated

The Best There Is, The Best There Was, and The Best There Ever Will Be.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 27105
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003
Sand$: 2,490.94
Sorry for your loss. That is a shame.

I am sure he would want to win it outright with the opposing team firing their best shot at him. Thats just my opinion. Again, very sorry.
_______________________________________

“If you are lucky in life, a man will come through your life that makes a difference. We had a rocky relationship, but I am glad I met him as I know I am better for knowing Tom Landry."
― Hollywood Henderson
User avatar
HammerHead Shark
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 8, 2010
Sand$: 9,446.42
Snoop_07 wrote:I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I'm sure it's a tough thing to deal with.

That being said, he didn't sound like the type that would have wanted people laying down for him. I think you appoint someone to take control of his team, and put the best possible starting lineup out there for him each week. His opponents should approach him as they normally would.

If he wins it legitimately, that's awesome. If he's eliminated, then create some way to honor him.

My two cents. Again, sorry about your friend. Best wishes to you and to his family.


Thanks for the kind words. We have appointed an owner to manage his team the rest of the way! I agree, even while battling MS he wanted to be independent and hated having to depend on the people he loved for every aspect of his day to day! He definitely was a fighter, and expect the same out of his team down the stretch....I am a firm believer that the story is already written, can't wait to see it play out!

Good Luck, Steve! Going to be tough to beat with the "Big Guy" upstairs starting for you!!!!
_______________________________________

Image
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 8141
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008
Sand$: 12,371.54
Here's what you do:

Cancel the playoffs and award him the title posthumously. He may not have "wanted" it that way, but here's my idea...does he have any kids? Specifically a son who enjoys football? Give the trophy to the son as a memento of his dad and his father's love for the game. Second, give the entire jackpot money to his wife to be used however she sees fit. She might put it toward his funeral expenses, purchasing a headstone for his grave, take the kids on a weekend away somewhere...whatever she chooses to do...it'll at least ease some of the pain of her loss, and it'll show her just how much her husband meant to his buddies.

Next year you can make it the "Bill Smith Trophy" to be handed out to the winner...I'm sure he'll be looking down and enjoying his buddies honoring him so perfectly.
_______________________________________

The Tank's reigning POS...and damn proud of it!!
Great White Shark
Posts: 8300
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004
Sand$: 41,132.98
POS
_______________________________________

Image
User avatar
Leopard Shark
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006
Sand$: 502.00
Ironicly we had a league member pass in the offseason. We named the trophy after him. Id say no way anyone lays down the game for him. He wouldnt want that and there are other ways to keep him remembered such as the trophy or even just a coach of the year plaque each season with his name on it.
Mako Shark
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009
Sand$: 3,197.78
I agree with the majority here. Play out the season and then name the trophy after him next year.
Sorry to hear about your friend, sounds llike a great guy. Good Luck to his team in the playoffs.
Let us know how it turns out. Thanks
Mako Shark
Posts: 655
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009
Sand$: 1,152.76
IUtaylor76 wrote:Ironicly we had a league member pass in the offseason. We named the trophy after him. Id say no way anyone lays down the game for him. He wouldnt want that and there are other ways to keep him remembered such as the trophy or even just a coach of the year plaque each season with his name on it.



that's coincidental, not ironic.

sorry to hear about this loss. i really have nothing to add as my opinion has already been said by several.
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 8141
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008
Sand$: 12,371.54
hankrip wrote:POS


???
_______________________________________

The Tank's reigning POS...and damn proud of it!!
User avatar
HammerHead Shark
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 8, 2010
Sand$: 9,446.42
hankrip wrote:POS


Whoa....Am i being called out? Who is this? That's Turbo POS to you...
_______________________________________

Image
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 2310
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006
Sand$: 3,584.32
WillieBeamen wrote:
hankrip wrote:POS


Whoa....Am i being called out? Who is this? That's Turbo POS to you...

I think he's referring to Crockette.
Had a freind who was commish in my former workplace. I wasn't in the league, but his team was in the playoffs when he died. The others let it play out with no moves on his part, and all of their winnings that year went to his widow and their daughter. Very nice gesture. He was only 34.
_______________________________________

Remembering Sean Vostinar aka CleffedUp
RIP
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008
Sand$: 12,763.94
WillieBeamen wrote:This year I had the unfortunate circumstance of mid-season our Commisioner passing away after a 20+ year battle with MS. In his 12 years as commisioner, he found himself many times on the outside looking in when the playoffs rolled around. We have dedicated the League trophy in his name, but it has never shown up on the Super Bowl Champion name plate.

In a scenario built for an ABC movie special, his team has found it's way locking up a Division title and in great position heading into the playoffs. My question is, if he is able to make his way to the Super Bowl, should his opponent "lie down" to pave the way to a posthumous Super Bowl Championship????

Part of me feels as though he wouldn't have wanted it to happen this way, but I am compelled to feel, it is just the right thing to do! What would the Sharks DO??????


my condolences to you and the mans family for the loss.

it sounds like playing the game with his friends meant more to him than winning so even if his team did win this year without anyone lying down it seems to me that committing to continuing the league with the spirit it has had for the last decade or so would be more significant.

naming the trophy after him and keeping it going sounds like the best way to pay tribute an honour his name.
_______________________________________

User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 20440
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003
Sand$: 28,882.82
WillieBeamen wrote:
hankrip wrote:POS


Whoa....Am i being called out? Who is this? That's Turbo POS to you...


It is 99% likely that the POS refers to crockett who has a history at this site.

As for your situation, don't force anybody to "lie down" against the team because that would be so against the spirit of your friend.

I know if I was playing against his team in championship, I would try to win as normal and then I would make sure any rewards for winning would end up with his family anyway (if they would appreciate that)
_______________________________________

ImageImageImage
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 44423
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005
Sand$: 43,163.40
Pretty obvious to me that he was Commissioner because he enjoyed the game and probably the personal relationships more.

Don't demean those things by worrying about getting him a 'title'. Just remember your friend but don't manipulate situations and certainly don't cancel the playoffs.
_______________________________________

34-17/ 29-7 / 34-13 / 27-17 / 31-17

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me, there's something goin' wrong around here.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest