FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Mon 12.22.2014, 14:54

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 16:21 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 9966
Donate
ne.gif
This year I had the unfortunate circumstance of mid-season our Commisioner passing away after a 20+ year battle with MS. In his 12 years as commisioner, he found himself many times on the outside looking in when the playoffs rolled around. We have dedicated the League trophy in his name, but it has never shown up on the Super Bowl Champion name plate.

In a scenario built for an ABC movie special, his team has found it's way locking up a Division title and in great position heading into the playoffs. My question is, if he is able to make his way to the Super Bowl, should his opponent "lie down" to pave the way to a posthumous Super Bowl Championship????

Part of me feels as though he wouldn't have wanted it to happen this way, but I am compelled to feel, it is just the right thing to do! What would the Sharks DO??????

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 16:36 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 669
Donate
det.gif
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I'm sure it's a tough thing to deal with.

That being said, he didn't sound like the type that would have wanted people laying down for him. I think you appoint someone to take control of his team, and put the best possible starting lineup out there for him each week. His opponents should approach him as they normally would.

If he wins it legitimately, that's awesome. If he's eliminated, then create some way to honor him.

My two cents. Again, sorry about your friend. Best wishes to you and to his family.

The Best There Is, The Best There Was, and The Best There Ever Will Be.

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 16:41 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 3026
Donate
dal.gif
Sorry for your loss. That is a shame.

I am sure he would want to win it outright with the opposing team firing their best shot at him. Thats just my opinion. Again, very sorry.

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 16:42 
Mako Shark

Donate
ne.gif
Snoop_07 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I'm sure it's a tough thing to deal with.

That being said, he didn't sound like the type that would have wanted people laying down for him. I think you appoint someone to take control of his team, and put the best possible starting lineup out there for him each week. His opponents should approach him as they normally would.

If he wins it legitimately, that's awesome. If he's eliminated, then create some way to honor him.

My two cents. Again, sorry about your friend. Best wishes to you and to his family.

Thanks for the kind words. We have appointed an owner to manage his team the rest of the way! I agree, even while battling MS he wanted to be independent and hated having to depend on the people he loved for every aspect of his day to day! He definitely was a fighter, and expect the same out of his team down the stretch....I am a firm believer that the story is already written, can't wait to see it play out!

Good Luck, Steve! Going to be tough to beat with the "Big Guy" upstairs starting for you!!!!

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 16:48 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 11777
Donate
gb.gif
Here's what you do:

Cancel the playoffs and award him the title posthumously. He may not have "wanted" it that way, but here's my idea...does he have any kids? Specifically a son who enjoys football? Give the trophy to the son as a memento of his dad and his father's love for the game. Second, give the entire jackpot money to his wife to be used however she sees fit. She might put it toward his funeral expenses, purchasing a headstone for his grave, take the kids on a weekend away somewhere...whatever she chooses to do...it'll at least ease some of the pain of her loss, and it'll show her just how much her husband meant to his buddies.

Next year you can make it the "Bill Smith Trophy" to be handed out to the winner...I'm sure he'll be looking down and enjoying his buddies honoring him so perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 16:54 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8017
Donate
jax.gif
POS

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 17:00 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 502
Donate
ind.gif
Ironicly we had a league member pass in the offseason. We named the trophy after him. Id say no way anyone lays down the game for him. He wouldnt want that and there are other ways to keep him remembered such as the trophy or even just a coach of the year plaque each season with his name on it.

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 17:43 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 926
Donate
no.gif
I agree with the majority here. Play out the season and then name the trophy after him next year.
Sorry to hear about your friend, sounds llike a great guy. Good Luck to his team in the playoffs.
Let us know how it turns out. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 18:06 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 2128
Donate
gb.gif
IUtaylor76 wrote:
Ironicly we had a league member pass in the offseason. We named the trophy after him. Id say no way anyone lays down the game for him. He wouldnt want that and there are other ways to keep him remembered such as the trophy or even just a coach of the year plaque each season with his name on it.

that's coincidental, not ironic.

sorry to hear about this loss. i really have nothing to add as my opinion has already been said by several.

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 18:06 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 11777
Donate
gb.gif
hankrip wrote:
POS

???

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 18:48 
Mako Shark

Donate
ne.gif
hankrip wrote:
POS

Whoa....Am i being called out? Who is this? That's Turbo POS to you...

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 18:55 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3534
Donate
dal.gif
WillieBeamen wrote:
hankrip wrote:
POS

I think he's referring to Crockette.
Had a freind who was commish in my former workplace. I wasn't in the league, but his team was in the playoffs when he died. The others let it play out with no moves on his part, and all of their winnings that year went to his widow and their daughter. Very nice gesture. He was only 34.

TE: Cameron, Reed
K. Tucker
D: Broncos

Remembering Sean Vostinar aka CleffedUp
RIP

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 19:28 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 5586
Donate
WillieBeamen wrote:
This year I had the unfortunate circumstance of mid-season our Commisioner passing away after a 20+ year battle with MS. In his 12 years as commisioner, he found himself many times on the outside looking in when the playoffs rolled around. We have dedicated the League trophy in his name, but it has never shown up on the Super Bowl Champion name plate.

In a scenario built for an ABC movie special, his team has found it's way locking up a Division title and in great position heading into the playoffs. My question is, if he is able to make his way to the Super Bowl, should his opponent "lie down" to pave the way to a posthumous Super Bowl Championship????

Part of me feels as though he wouldn't have wanted it to happen this way, but I am compelled to feel, it is just the right thing to do! What would the Sharks DO??????

my condolences to you and the mans family for the loss.

it sounds like playing the game with his friends meant more to him than winning so even if his team did win this year without anyone lying down it seems to me that committing to continuing the league with the spirit it has had for the last decade or so would be more significant.

naming the trophy after him and keeping it going sounds like the best way to pay tribute an honour his name.

FantasySharks Bottom-Dweller League 13
Balls of Steel Dynasty League

PostPosted: Fri 12.09.2011, 20:04 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 17464
Donate
hou2.gif
WillieBeamen wrote:
hankrip wrote:
POS

It is 99% likely that the POS refers to crockett who has a history at this site.

As for your situation, don't force anybody to "lie down" against the team because that would be so against the spirit of your friend.

I know if I was playing against his team in championship, I would try to win as normal and then I would make sure any rewards for winning would end up with his family anyway (if they would appreciate that)

PostPosted: Sat 12.10.2011, 01:23 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 38890
Donate
car.gif
Pretty obvious to me that he was Commissioner because he enjoyed the game and probably the personal relationships more.

Don't demean those things by worrying about getting him a 'title'. Just remember your friend but don't manipulate situations and certainly don't cancel the playoffs.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.