FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Mon 10.20.2014, 08:05

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1501 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 101  Next
PostPosted: Wed 07.12.2006, 09:14 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 115991
Donate
det.gif
Updated often with news and rumors on America's new and upcoming craze.

Feel free to add your own, if I miss some.

Last edited by Dominion on Mon 08.07.2006, 13:39, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 07.12.2006, 09:26 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Fifa is to investigate Zinedine Zidane's dramatic sending-off during Sunday's World Cup final in Berlin. The Frenchman was dismissed in extra-time for a headbutt on Marco Materazzi which happened seconds after the Italian apparently insulted him. Materazzi has denied calling Zidane a "terrorist" or insulting his mother. Fifa will now launch an investigation into Zidane's conduct to enable it to clarify the circumstances surrounding the incident as exactly as possible. Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words with 10 minutes left of extra-time before Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground. Materazzi defended himself on Tuesday in the Italian newspaper La Gazetta dello Sport, when he said: "It was the kind of insult you will hear dozens of times and just slips out of the ground. I didn't call Zidane a terrorist and certainly didn't mention his mother." Zidane, who was born and grew up in Marseille, is the son of Algerian immigrants and has suffered taunts about his heritage throughout his football career. But Materazzi added: "I am ignorant, I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is; my only terrorist is her," he said pointing to his 10-month-old daughter. "I did not bring up Zidane's mother; for me a mother is sacred." Materazzi and Zidane became involved in a verbal spat with 10 minutes to go in extra-time with France and Italy drawing 1-1 in the World Cup final. After Materazzi's insult Zidane shoved his head into the Italian's chest and was sent off, with Italy going on to win the match 5-3 on penalties. "I held his shirt, for only a few seconds," said Materazzi, who had scored Italy's equaliser after Zidane put France ahead from the penalty spot. "He turned towards me and scoffed at me, looking at me with super arrogance, up and down. He said 'if you really want my shirt, you can have it later.' It's true, I shot back with an insult."

Post subject:
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
The fourth official who told referee Horacio Elizondo to send off Zinedine Zidane during the World Cup final says he saw the incident as it happened. Luis Medina Cantalejo did not rely on video evidence after France's Zidane headbutted Italy's Marco Materazzi. Cantalejo told Spanish radio: "I saw it happen live, I didn't invent anything. The ball was elsewhere and that was where the referee was looking. I always tell my fourth official to watch the players because things can happen."

Post subject:
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
The French Football Federation has said that the contract of France coach Raymond Domenech will be extended. The 54-year-old, who took charge of the team in 2004, saw his side lose to Italy in Sunday's World Cup final. "The renewal was unanimously proposed considering the excellent performance of the team in the World Cup," said the head of the FFF Jean-Pierre Escalettes. The length of the new deal has not been released but will be discussed at a FFF board meeting in August.

Post subject:
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Veteran Czech Republic midfielder Karel Poborsky has confirmed his retirement from international football. Poborsky, 34, hinted before the World Cup that he planned to quit the national team after the tournament. He made a record 118 appearances for his nation, scoring eight goals, and plans to play one more season for his club Ceske Budejovice. "I'm grateful for my experiences in the national team but I am quitting," said the ex-Manchester United star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 07.12.2006, 09:27 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Berlin's top World Cup official shot himself in the head just hours after the tournament ended and is now fighting for his life, police say. Juergen Kiessling, 65, was rushed to hospital from his house in Reinickendorf, a suburb of Berlin, after a neighbour heard the shot. The motive for the apparent suicide attempt is not yet clear. German media report that he left two suicide notes - one for his daughter alone, and one for his family. Berlin hosted the World Cup final on Sunday, when fans watched Italy beat France on penalties. Mr Kiessling was known as "Mister WM" (Mr World Cup) by colleagues in Berlin. He was responsible for the hugely successful Fan Mile in Berlin city centre, a concourse where giant screens showed the matches to hundreds of thousands of fans who could not get tickets.

Post subject:
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Bolton Wanderers have confirmed that they will not be signing former Liverpool midfielder Dietmar Hamann. Liverpool confirmed on their website on Tuesday that Hamann, 32, left the club to sign for Sam Allardyce's side. But in a statement on their website, Bolton said: "Although Didi Hamann signed a contract with the club, he has since had a change of heart." Manchester City have been linked with the player, and Bolton added: "He will sign for another club within 24 hours."

Post subject:
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Spanish side Real Betis have rejected an improved bid from Portsmouth for Brazilian forward Edu. Betis owner Manuel Ruiz de Lopera confirmed Pompey are interested in the 27-year old Edu, who scored 11 goals in 31 games for Betis last season. Lopera admitted Pompey had initially offered £4.8m for Edu, but despite increasing their bid he insisted the Brazilian would be staying put. "They increased the offer but I told them the answer was still no," he said.

Post subject:
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Blackburn boss Mark Hughes insists he still wants to entice former Spurs striker Mido to Ewood Park. The Egyptian international's future is unclear after he returned to Roma following a loan spell at Tottenham and rejected a switch to Rovers. Hughes said: "I am still hopeful and we will keep pursuing him until the matter is dead in the water." Hughes also said that Australian duo Brett Emerton and Lucas Neill have been offered new deals with the club. Both players are out of contract this summer and Hughes said: "There are offers on the table for the Aussie guys and we are hopeful they will accept these deals. Both players were excellent in the World Cup. They really made their mark at international level. It was a real experience for them. Not only will they benefit from it but we will benefit from it as well."

Post subject:
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann has decided not to continue in the job, according to German media reports. German sports news agency SID said team manager Oliver Bierhoff had indirectly confirmed Klinsmann's decision not to renew his contract. Assistant coach Joachim Loew is set to replace Klinsmann. Klinsmann, who lives in California, had been urged to continue as coach after steering Germany to third place in the recent World Cup. All 23 players of the German World Cup squad, 93% of the public, according to opinion polls, and even some of his harshest critics have all said they wanted him to continue.

Post subject:
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Sheffield United midfielder Michael Tonge has agreed a two-year extension to his contract. Tonge, 23, progressed through the youth ranks and has made 200 appearances for the Blades, including 33 during last season's successful promotion campaign. Phil Jagielka is also thought to be close to agreeing a new deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 07.12.2006, 09:28 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Milan Baros' move to Hamburg is in jeopardy after the German club failed to meet Aston Villa's valuation of the Czech Republic striker. Villa chairman Doug Ellis held talks with Hamburg officials on Monday over the future of the 24-year-old, who cost the Midlands club £7m from Liverpool. Ellis told Villa's website: "Hamburg's valuation of Milan falls way short of anything that is remotely acceptable. We are certainly not going to sell Milan Baros on the cheap." Ellis met with Hamburg officials, headed by director Dietmar Beiersdorfer, and said: "They have now gone back to Germany. We'll wait to see if there are any further developments." Baros' international team-mate David Jarolim, who plays for Hamburg, claimed the striker "really wants to leave Aston Villa". But Ellis claimed that was not the case, adding: "Milan has two years left on his contract and his agent has assured us that he is happy at Villa and not looking to leave."

Post subject:
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Former Middlesbrough defender Abel Xavier has had his 18-month ban from football for doping reduced to one year by the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Uefa imposed the ban on the Portuguese defender in November 2005 after he tested positive for anabolic steroids in a Uefa Cup tie two months earlier. An appeal to Uefa failed in December, but the 33-year-old took his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Boro terminated Xavier's contract in January after his failed appeal. A Uefa spokesman said in a statement: "We are surprised by the verdict but cannot make any further comments before receiving the detailed reasoning of the decision."

Post subject:
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Plymouth Argyle are to face Real Madrid in a glamorous pre-season friendly. Ian Holloway's side will face the nine-times European Champions on 21 July at the Franz Fekete Stadium in Kapfenberg, Austria. The friendly was arranged after Argyle agreed to let Madrid use a training camp in Austria that had already been booked up by the Pilgrims. The Pilgrims will now be based at the nearby spa resort of Loipersdorf, with the tour operators picking up the bill. Plymouth manager Ian Holloway is thrilled by the prospect of facing Real. "It will be an education for our lot," Holloway said. "Even if we play against their young lads, it will be very good. Whatever side they put out, they will have some really good players. It's a fantastic opportunity for my players. A once-in-a-lifetime experience. It is fantastic. We will get amongst them and it will be something that my lads will never forget."

Post subject:
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Chester City have taken French youth international midfielder Ismael Rhazdis on a two-week trial. The 18-year-old, who began his career with Monaco, is keen to play in England and his agent Yasser Farrett arranged for him to come to the Deva Stadium. City chairman Stephen Vaughan told the Chester Chronicle: "We have received good reports about him. Mark Wright and Graham Barrow will look at him in training and give him a run-out in our pre-season matches."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1501 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 101  Next