The Draft

Do you think we should re-instate the draft?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes : 6
Great White Shark
Sand$: 4,387.00

**HuneeBunny**
http://www.bluegraygettysburg.com
150th Gettysburg reenactment! Tickets are ONLY $10/DAY!

CleffedUp wrote:There's nothing healthy about this meal, and don't you knock my gravy! Dems fightin words!
Great White Shark
Sand$: 661.00
I'm a military guy, and I don't think so. We need to rebuild our military.

During the Clinton administration our military was drastically cut, way too much. This is not a slam on Clinton, it seems that when ever this country goes for a long period without armed conflict, everyone looks at the budget the military gets and figures there is a place to get money from. It's at the expense of our protection and National security when that happens.

Today our National Guard and Reserves are deployed and make up too much of our in country fighting forces around the globe. That was not the intent of the National Guard, it was somewhat for the Reserves however.

Point being, if we had maintained a larger standing military, this (the draft) would not even be an issue, active duty soldiers would get longer breaks between deployments, and the citizen soldiers of the National Guard and Reserves wouldn't be used as much.

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 15,920.60
YEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!

currently consulting my FF appraiser/advisor
Great White Shark
Sand$: 17,280.00
are we talking Hot Female Draft here???????

by 2GZ.

Great White Shark
Sand$: 229.00
mrkkti wrote:I'm a military guy, and I don't think so. We need to rebuild our military.

During the Clinton administration our military was drastically cut, way too much. This is not a slam on Clinton, it seems that when ever this country goes for a long period without armed conflict, everyone looks at the budget the military gets and figures there is a place to get money from. It's at the expense of our protection and National security when that happens.

Today our National Guard and Reserves are deployed and make up too much of our in country fighting forces around the globe. That was not the intent of the National Guard, it was somewhat for the Reserves however.

Point being, if we had maintained a larger standing military, this (the draft) would not even be an issue, active duty soldiers would get longer breaks between deployments, and the citizen soldiers of the National Guard and Reserves wouldn't be used as much.

I agree that we need a larger standing military. But how do we get that?
A draft would be one way. certainly they're ads don't seem to be working. Now if it is just a matter of budget and they're turning away new recruits, they need to restucture the defense budget to properly equip all the soldiers and eliminate a lot of the big pork-barrel projects.

I would favor a draft because I think it would help the younger generation gain a bit of disipline and respect for their elders, etc. My wife would actually send me instead of my 16 yo stepson.

:slug:
[b] 2009 4th & Goal Dynasty League Champion!!!! [/b]
My Ultimate Fan Super Bowl: Cincinnati Bengals vs. Philadelphia Eagles
Great White Shark
Sand$: 661.00
Prior to this war on terror, it wouldn't have been an issue to get recruits.

I have thought that a "conscription" might not be a bad thing either. Turn 18 serve for two to four years, stay if you want, get out if you'd like.

Might help some of our youth today.

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 16,651.00
My friend's son just joined. Best thing he could have chosen for his life right now.

Do I want the draft back? Nope...but I'm with JBG on this one....
Great White Shark
Sand$: 2,848.20
No. People who don't join don't join for a reason. I'd burn my card and head up north.

Tony_Holm wrote: Nice job sock!

Shirlington Sharks(1-0, 3/12)
Oldtowne Sweeps(1-0, 2/14)
Southeast Spearholders(1-0, 2/12)
College Park Cheese Puffs(1-0, 3/12)
Crystal City Cats(0-1, 12/12)
King St Musketeers(1-0, 1/6)
Pick Em(7-9)
Swim W/ Sharks(136)
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 16,651.00
Supersock69 wrote:No. People who don't join don't join for a reason. I'd burn my card and head up north.

We'll move in with Tazz. :lol: