FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Wed 10.22.2014, 03:01

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 07.30.2007, 13:55 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 23138
Donate
det.gif
Sign, you fugger!!! SIGN!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 07.30.2007, 18:20 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 20975
Donate
det.gif
getdownmmmkay wrote:
Everything I've read and heard about this offseason points to a VERY significant change in attitude and chemistry with this team. If the offense makes a play, the defense gives them props........and vice versa. Redding called Kitna after the 10-win statement and told him that it lit a fire in him. Marinelli has said time and again that they are more than willing to do everything the coaches ask of them at the tempo that is being asked of them. He's had to pull them back during OTAs. Yesterday they earned a helmets and shorts afternoon practice. I'm quite anxious to see them take the field this preseason and see if I can see a difference just watching them play.

Damn, that Kool-aid sounds pretty tasty!!! It's quite hard to resist the urge to drink some.

I hear ya. I told myself after last season I would not get overconfident again, though, so I'm still sticking to my 6-10 prediction.

But I am getting pretty thirsty. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 07.30.2007, 19:04 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
I'm still saying 7-9 to 9-7. Holding firm..........but it's tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07.31.2007, 09:40 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 34942
Donate
nyj.gif
DET - QB Stanton Out One Month After Surgery

Source: George Sipple, Detroit Free Press

Lions president Matt Millen said this afternoon that rookie quarterback Drew Stanton will have his knee scoped to clean out cartilage. Stanton, the Lions' second-round pick, likely will be out at least a month.

Stanton tweaked his right knee Saturday and missed both practice sessions Sunday and Monday in Allen Park.

After Monday's morning practice -- but before the results of an MRI exam were known -- Stanton said he hoped he would not need surgery.

"I'm hoping not, but we'll see," Stanton said. "It's gone down significantly, the swelling has. It's almost back to normal. I just have to kind of wait and see."

Millen isn’t sure how long Stanton will be out.

"Keep him on the active roster and see where it goes," Millen said. "How long it takes and how long it takes to rehab. Do it right. The knee is structurally sound. That's not a big deal. Just a little tweak."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07.31.2007, 13:22 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
The real story in camp to this point appears to be the emergence of QB J.T. O'Sullivan who was Co-MVP of the World League this year. He's apparantly picking up the offense quickly, decisive in his reads, and accurate. He's making a strong push (at least to this point) to un-seat Orlovsky as the #2 QB. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2007, 09:15 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
nyj.gif
DET - OC Martz Praises OL, RB T. Bell

Lions OC Mike Martz gave his offensive unit high marks after Monday's practice. In particular Martz noticed the overwhelming difference in the offensive line from last season. "The effort's real good," Martz said. "The attention to detail's good," he said. Martz also was complimentary of RB Tatum Bell, who was acquired from the Broncos this offseason. "He's the whole package. He's got so much juice to him. He can go. He's taken our offense and learned it so well. He doesn't make any mistakes. He's catching the ball extremely well. He's playing at such a high level right now."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2007, 09:42 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
Stanton had his knee cleaned out yesterday I believe, so he's on the shelf for at least a month. If O'Sullivan is gonna make a run at the QB2 spot, now is the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08.03.2007, 08:32 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
det.gif
WOOT!!!!

It's about damn time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08.03.2007, 11:41 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
getdownmmmkay wrote:
WOOT!!!!

It's about damn time.

Lions Sign Johnson To $55.5 Million Contract

NFL.com - The Detroit Lions have agreed to terms with their first-round pick, wide receiver Calvin Johnson, on a whopping six-year, $55.5 million contract that includes almost $27.2 million worth of guarantees. The contract has a maximum value of $64 million, and it makes him the highest-paid player in Lions history.

Unlike other rookie deals, it includes guaranteed money paid out from the moment Johnson signs it. It also includes another $4.5 million in bonuses that Johnson, the second overall pick in the draft, should earn by the middle of this season if he sees even a minimum amount of playing time.

Johnson's signing allowed him to get into camp for workouts, where he was out catching passes Friday morning. Fellow wideout Roy Williams said a day earlier that "the rookie needs to get in here."

Johnson was regarded by some as the best player in the draft after catching 78 passes for 1,202 yards and 15 touchdowns during his All-America junior season at Georgia Tech. He won the Biletnikoff Award, given to the nation's top college receiver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 08.04.2007, 09:12 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 20975
Donate
det.gif
Wow that's a ton of cash. He's apparently worth it, though. I don't recall the last time I didn't read at least at least one negative on a rookie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08.08.2007, 11:36 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
Martz: We're Going To Keep Johnson Busy

Detroit Free Press - Rookie wide receiver Calvin Johnson better be ready when the Lions open the preseason at 7:30 Thursday night against the Cincinnati Bengals at Ford Field.

"We're going to see him a lot in this game," offensive coordinator Mike Martz said. "We're going to see him a lot in the preseason. He's gotta learn how to play.

"We're going to wear his little froggy rear end out."

Martz outlined the Lions' preseason plans Tuesday, and they include a lot of playing time for Johnson and plenty of snaps for each of the quarterbacks: Jon Kitna, J.T. O'Sullivan and Dan Orlovsky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2007, 08:57 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
nyj.gif
DET - Lions WR C. Johnson To Get Lots Of Work

Expect to see plenty of rookie WR Calvin Johnson this Thursday when the Lions face the Bengals in their preseason opener. Aside from learning the playbook, Johnson will also get tested physically to keep up his conditioning "We're going to see him a lot in this game," OC Mike Martz said. "We're going to see him a lot in the preseason. He's gotta learn how to play."

"We're going to wear his little froggy rear end out."

Martz outlined the Lions' preseason plans Tuesday, and they include a lot of playing time for Johnson and plenty of snaps for each of the quarterbacks: Jon Kitna, J.T. O'Sullivan and Dan Orlovsky.

Kitna will start Thursday, but O'Sullivan will get most of the snaps in the first game.

"Each week we're going to try and utilize one or the other," Martz said of how he'll use the backup quarterbacks in the preseason. "If you go in and share time all the time, they can't get the flow of game. We're trying to get each one the majority of a game and let them respond and see how well they do with it.

"Probably J.T. this week. That's kind of what we're thinking about. I talked to coach (Rod) Marinelli earlier this morning. We think that's what we'll do."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2007, 09:04 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
nyj.gif
DET - Lions RB Jones Running Routes

Detroit Lions RB Kevin Jones' recovery from a Lisfranc fracture in his left foot continues as he ran routes for the first time this offseason in camp. And even though the Lions acquired RB Tatum Bell in a trade, Jones said he plans to regain his starting role when he returns. "If I wasn't hurt, (Bell) wouldn't even be an issue - he wouldn't even be here," Jones said. "Right now, my goal is to get back, and then it won't be an issue again."

Jones said he and Bell have a cordial relationship. Jones shared carries with Lee Suggs at Virginia Tech, so he's used to a crowded backfield.

"I'm not worried about my job," Jones said. "When I'm able to do what I know how to do, the better man will be in there."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2007, 11:30 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
RB Controversy In Detroit Heats Up

Detroit News - Kevin Jones was irked by comments from Tatum Bell, who said he expects to be the starter and go-to back for the Lions.

"I have to deal with competing for a job against him as a competitor," Jones said. "But when he says, 'It is mine,' that is when I have a problem. If I was 100 percent, it would not be a question. My goal is to come back and it (starting) won't be an issue. I am the better back and I will be the starter."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2007, 12:10 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
Lions WR Johnson says preseason game doesn't count as his debut

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -Calvin Johnson will play as a professional for the first time when the Detroit Lions host the Cincinnati Bengals.

The receiver said he won't count it as his debut.

``Not until the regular season starts,'' Johnson said Wednesday, walking off the practice field after signing numerous autographs for fans. ``But I'm definitely excited.''

The Lions and their long-suffering fans are also fired up to see him play against Cincinnati on Thursday night, less than a week after the second pick in the draft ended an eight-day holdout.

``He needs to play,'' team president Matt Millen said. ``But we'll monitor him.''

Jon Kitna may not get a chance to throw to Johnson much, if at all, in the exhibition opener. But Kitna has seen enough in practice to give the 6-foot-5, 239-pound Johnson rave reviews.

``He's explosive and he's bigger than everybody on the field,'' Kitna said. ``When he gets the ball in his hands, he has a different gear and he's electrifying.''

Passing is Detroit's strength, while defending the pass is the Bengals' weak link, giving them a chance to find out how much their secondary improved over the offseason.

First-round pick Leon Hall, a former Michigan star, will get tested right away by Roy Williams, Mike Furrey and Johnson.

``They will be a good team for us to measure ourselves against,'' Hall said. ``With Williams and Johnson they have an explosive offense and it's going to be a challenge for the DBs and the whole defense.

``Johnson is obviously a big, fast and physical guy. Williams is kind of the same guy. Furrey is more of the slot receiver.''

Bengals defensive end Bryan Robinson said Kitna, a former teammate, will test Cincinnati's defense with a month to go before the real opener.

``Kit is going to get the ball out of his hand as quick as he can,'' Robinson said. ``He's smart at knowing the reads, and that's going to test us.

``They have a couple of new guys upfront. They have some new running backs with Tatum Bell and T.J. Duckett. If (Kitna) says that they can win 10-12 games, you like to believe what Kit says.''

Kitna has predicted that the Lions,who have lost an NFL-high 72 games since 2001, will at least reach double digits in wins this season.

The 10-year veteran oozes confidence, in part because Detroit didn't draft a first-round quarterback in either of the last two years to possibly replace him.

``This is what I've been waiting for my whole career, and I feel like I'm prepared,'' he said. ``It feels great as a quarterback to know you have the backing of your organization, coach and coordinator.''

Kitna didn't in Cincinnati, where he was the No. 1 QB from 2001-03 before coach Marvin Lewis gave second-year pro Carson Palmer the nod.

``It wasn't disappointing,'' Kitna insisted. ``Coach Lewis gave me an opportunity in 2003 to be the starter for the whole year, and not many people would've done that. I can't be bitter.

``Once they drafted Carson, I knew he was going to play. He's a great quarterback, and he's a great friend of mine.''

Detroit coach Rod Marinelli said starters on both sides of the ball will be used for about 10 to 12 plays before reserves take over.

Even though it's just an exhibition game, Marinelli said he wants to win.

``You come out and play marbles, and I want to take all your marbles, bag, shoes and socks,'' he said. ``I want everything you got. I'm hoping we're instilling that.''

Kitna clearly understands Marinelli's approach.

``We would like to come out and be an example for the guys that are going to play quite a bit in the second half,'' he said. ``And say, 'This is how we play football now. This isn't the Lions of the old. It's the Lions of new.'

``You can't put too much into this because it is the preseason, but we're trying to change an attitude and mind-set here.''

Cincinnati, meanwhile, is looking forward to seeing its change-of-pace running back, Kenny Irons. The second-round pick is expected to split time with Rudi Johnson. Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski likes Irons' talent, but securing the football has been a concern.

``He's got that burst when he gets into the open field,'' Bratkowski said. ``We've got to clean up that (fumbling) part of his game.''

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next