FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sun 04.20.2014, 03:59

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2007, 12:17 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
Bengals sign 5 draft picks, No. 1 choice still not under contract

CINCINNATI (AP) -Running back Kenny Irons and four other draft choices signed contracts Thursday with the Cincinnati Bengals, who were set to open camp without their No. 1 pick.

Irons, a running back from Auburn who was a second-round pick, agreed to a four-year deal on the day players reported for the start of camp in Georgetown, Ky.

The Bengals also signed quarterback Jeff Rowe, a fifth-round pick from Nevada; defensive tackle Matt Toeaina, a sixth-round choice from Oregon; and center Dan Santucci and safety Chinedum Ndukwe, both seventh-round picks from Notre Dame.

The Bengals still have not signed top draft pick Leon Hall, a cornerback from Michigan. They were scheduled to hold their first practice on Friday evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 07.29.2007, 08:47 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 38914
Donate
nyj.gif
CIN - Bengals WR Chatman Tweaks Hamstring

Source: Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com

Cincinnati Bengals WR Antonio Chatman tweaked his hamstring in Friday's first practice and sat out Saturday morning's practice. Indications are that Chatman, who missed virtually all of the last training camp with a groin problem, won't miss more than a week. But it's frustrating for both the Bengals and Chatman as they seek a third wide receiver to replace Chris Henry for the first half of the season. Chatman could only play in three games last year after arriving as a free agent from the Packers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 07.29.2007, 17:23 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 98195
Donate
cin.gif
Who else is excited about this season? WHO DEY!

I have noticed that the majority of the buzz is about the defense so far. I'm excited about the prospects of the young defense and if they are even half as good as I think they will eventually be then we are a serious contender. We have no major holdouts, an outstanding group of young CB's a big hitting rookie safety, the big question for me remains on the DL and the LB's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 07.30.2007, 10:47 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
nyj.gif
CIN - WR Brazell Back Faster Than Ever

Source: Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com

Cincinnati Bengals WR Bennie Brazell literally ran himself into the competition for playing time by catching everything during Saturday's two practices. One way to replace WR Chris Henry's downfield explosiveness for the first eight games is with sheer, uncut speed which Brazell has in spades. The consensus is that he's just as fast as ever after his rookie year ended abruptly when he tore his posterior cruciate ligament in the back of the knee in the third preseason game. "I see him as a football guy who happens to run track," WR coach Mike Sheppard said, "and he's got all the toughness you want."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07.31.2007, 12:05 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
Bengals TE Mulcahy doing well after hurting neck in practice

GEORGETOWN, Ky. (AP) -Tight end Sean Mulcahy hurt his neck during the Cincinnati Bengals' practice Monday and was taken off the field in an ambulance as a precaution.

A team spokesman said Mulcahy had full movement in his arms and legs and was joking with medical personnel at the Kentucky Trauma Center in nearby Lexington.

``He's fine,'' coach Marvin Lewis said. ``It's football, and unfortunately those things happen out here all the time.''

The 6-foot-5, 260-pound tight end has spent time in training camps with St. Louis, Atlanta and Carolina, but has never appeared in an NFL game. The Bengals signed the first-year player in the offseason.

Practice was stopped after Mulcahy hurt his neck. He lay on the field for about 15 minutes before the ambulance arrived. Lewis then gathered the team and explained the situation before practice resumed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2007, 13:15 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
Suspended Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman accused of violating probation

CINCINNATI (AP) -Suspended Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman has been ordered to appear in court for allegedly violating probation on his drunken driving conviction.

A Hamilton County probation officer Liz Albert said Thurman failed to show up for a scheduled meeting on July 24. Thurman then was ordered to appear before Municipal Court judge John Burlew on Aug. 21 to explain himself.

If the judge decides Thurman violated probation, the linebacker could be sent to jail.

The NFL suspended Thurman last season after he skipped a drug test and later was arrested on a drunken driving charge.

Two days after Thurman is accused of skipping the meeting with probation officers, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell denied his request for reinstatement for the 2007 season.

Thurman's lawyer didn't return a phone message Wednesday.

The linebacker was arrested last September. He pleaded no contest to the drunken driving charge in February and was sentenced to 90 days in jail, with a chance to reduce the sentence if he got treatment for alcohol abuse.

At a June 1 hearing, Burlew reduced the sentence to six days in a treatment center. Thurman could be ordered to serve the full sentence if he violated probation.

It's the second time Thurman has been in trouble since his sentencing.

Two men in Monticello, Ga., filed a complaint against Thurman, alleging that he kicked and hit them at a party two days after he appeared in court to settle the drunken driving case. Thurman, who lives in Monticello, was never charged, and his accusers later dropped their complaint.

Thurman is one of 10 Bengals arrested over a 14-month span. Goodell also suspended receiver Chris Henry for the first eight games of the 2007 season for repeatedly violating the league's conduct policy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08.03.2007, 11:56 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
Bengals sign Nate Lawrie to provide backup and injury-thinned tight end position

GEORGETOWN, Ky. (AP) -Tight end Nate Lawrie signed a one-year contract Thursday with the Cincinnati Bengals, who were looking for help at a position severely diminished by injuries in training camp.

The Bengals also waived undrafted rookie linebacker Cameron Siskowic, who signed as a free agent on May 2.

Lawrie was drafted in the sixth round by Tampa Bay in 2004. He played in two games for Tampa Bay as a rookie, catching one pass for 15 yards. He got into six games the next season without catching a pass.

Lawrie played in seven games for New Orleans last season, catching one pass for 17 yards. He was waived by the Saints on Nov. 21.

Cincinnati needed another tight end after three of their reserves got hurt this week: Tim Day, Bobby Blizzard and Sean Mulcahy. Reggie Kelly is the starter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 08.05.2007, 11:57 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
nyj.gif
CIN - WR McNeal Receiving Attention

Source: Mark Curnutte, Cincinnati Enquirer

Due to injuries to Bengals WRs Tab Perry and Antonio Chapman, ex-quarterback turned receiver, Reggie McNeal has been working with the team as the #3 wideout. "He sees things conceptually, big-picture, like a QB," Bengals WR coach Mike Sheppard said. McNeal also has good size for a receiver. And he can run. He ran for 1,889 yards and 15 touchdowns in his college career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08.06.2007, 13:47 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
Palmer fully healthy, growing into role of Bengals leader

GEORGETOWN, Ky. (AP) -Carson Palmer was fed up.

With so many Cincinnati Bengals getting into trouble, the Pro Bowl quarterback decided to speak his mind about a subject that most of his teammates were sidestepping in public.

``Enough is enough,'' he told reporters covering the Super Bowl in Miami last January.

The candid remark showed how Palmer began embracing a leadership role as he headed into his fourth season as a starter. Receiver Chad Johnson gets attention with his look-at-me antics, but Palmer is the player who makes the biggest difference on a team that needs direction.

``We've seen Carson really mature and evolve into not only the talented player he is, but a leader wanting to know how everybody else is doing and touching bases with other guys,'' coach Marvin Lewis said during training camp last week. ``So, we've seen him grow a lot.''

Palmer will have a lot to do with whether the Bengals make the playoffs this season, and rehabilitate their image in the process.

The Bengals finally made the playoffs in 2005 behind Palmer, who emerged as one of the NFL's best passers during his second year as a starter. Their first playoff appearance in 15 years came to a first-round end after Pittsburgh's Kimo von Oelhoffen crashed into Palmer's left knee, tearing ligaments and cartilage.

Palmer made an unexpectedly fast recovery, regaining his starting job for the season opener, but he wasn't the same. His timing was off, his throwing motion was out of whack and he was paying too much attention to defenders near his legs.

By midseason, Palmer was back in form and the Bengals were back in contention, only to finish 8-8. While the season headed for its disappointing finish and the team's arrest list grew, Palmer started becoming more vocal.

``First of all, it's not my team or any individual's team,'' Palmer said last week, ``but being a veteran and being a quarterback, you say things sometimes and some people listen.''

Quickly, he added: ``And some people don't.''

Palmer has tried to mentor troubled receiver Chris Henry, who has been arrested four times, suspended twice and will sit out the first eight games. Palmer is one of several veterans who have talked to Lewis about getting tougher with players.

Palmer never shied away from speaking his mind. Now, he's making it a priority.

``I do feel that when things need to be said, I'm one of the people that needs to be saying them,'' Palmer said. ``And when examples need to be set, I want to set an example. But in no way is this one individual's team, and nobody feels that way.''

Increasingly, it's becoming his team in the same way the Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts are viewed as Peyton Manning's team.

``I think he wanted to put some skins on the wall, so to speak, to have some credibility in his play before he could assume that role,'' offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said. ``He's had some great seasons, some Pro Bowl seasons. I think he wanted to achieve a level of success before he felt comfortable asserting himself.''

On the field, it's the same old Palmer. And that's exactly what the Bengals want to see.

The knee is no longer an issue; Palmer didn't even wear a brace for an intrasquad scrimmage Friday night, when he knew he wouldn't get hit. On his first pass of 11-on-11 drills during camp, he hit Johnson perfectly in stride down the sideline, a play so pretty that the fans gave a collective ``ahh!''

A year ago, he wasn't even on the field full-time.

``No comparison,'' Palmer said. ``No insecurities about my knee or second-guessing anything. I feel confident and comfortable and healthy and all that. So it's a lot different from last year.''

There's another difference: Palmer has become a leader.

``His whole demeanor has gone from a pupil to a teacher,'' said offensive guard Bobbie Williams, who has been with him the last three seasons. ``His whole confidence level has grown from getting the hang of it to being a veteran at it.

``He's what you want out there.''

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08.08.2007, 07:30 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
nyj.gif
CIN - Bengals QB Palmer Downplays Knee Brace

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer had his surgically repaired left knee wrapped in a brace for Monday morning's practice session. Palmer had worn a fabric sleeve on the knee or nothing at all since training camp began. "Nothing's wrong," Palmer said after practice. "I'm going to wear it all year, and I'm just getting used to it again." Palmer was back in the fabric sleeve for the night practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08.10.2007, 12:28 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
Lions 27, Bengals 26

DETROIT (AP) - Calvin Johnson shrugged his shoulders when asked about the only two passes thrown his way, both of which he caught, giving a glimpse of what's to come from the No. 2 pick in the NFL draft.

Johnson had two receptions for 45 yards late in the first half to set up a score and the Detroit Lions rallied late to beat the Cincinnati Bengals 27-26 on Thursday night in the exhibition opener for both teams.

The 6-foot-5, 239-pound receiver displayed his speed and savvy on his first catch, sprinting and settling into a spot behind a cornerback and in front of a safety. On the next play, Johnson used his body and leaping ability to shield first-round pick Leon Hall for a 21-yard reception that was the second and final ball thrown to him.

``That's my job - go get the ball,'' he said. ``People expect me to make plays.''

Detroit has been expected to lose since 2001, when Matt Millen took over the franchise and the Lions went on to lose a league-high 72 games over the next six seasons.

But the players sense things will be different this year with Rod Marinelli on the sideline for a second season.

Cincinnati led 26-17 midway through the fourth quarter, then the Lions' third- and fourth-string players won out.

Dan Orlovsky threw a 7-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Kasper with 50 seconds left after Detroit recovered an onside kick following Kenny Byrd's field goal.

Cincinnati got in position to win the game, stopping the clock with 1 second left, but Shayne Graham, who made four field goals, was wide left on a 48-yard attempt.

The Lions celebrated by jumping, hugging and screaming.

``Coach Marinelli came in here last year and preached winning, whether it was a 1-on-1 route in practice or a preseason game,'' Orlovsky said. ``Losing is going to be wiped out as a culture around here.

``Cincinnati is a good team. I think it was really important that we won and showed excitement.''

The Bengals, meanwhile, were not bummed out.

``You always want to win any game you play, but this doesn't hurt,'' Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis said. ``We did a lot of good things when the veterans were in there. The young guys missed some chances to finish out the game.''

If the score counted only when the starters were in the game, the Bengals would have won 6-0.

Carson Palmer completed seven of 10 passes for 93 yards to set up two field goals on his only two drives, totaling 121 yards. The Bengals held Detroit's first-string defense to just three first downs on its two possessions.

``We expect to score touchdowns every time we have the ball, so that's disappointing,'' Palmer said.

Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh each caught two of Palmer's passes, combining for 74 yards. Rudi Johnson ran through a huge hole for a 20-yard gain on the first play of the game and finished with five carries for 32 yards.

The Bengals might have lost his backup.

Rookie running back Kenny Irons injured his left knee and ankle and was taken to the locker room on a cart after hobbling off the field. He had four carries for 17 yards, including an 11-yard gain.

The second-round pick from Auburn was hurt when his foot appeared to get caught up in the artificial turf while making a stutter-step move. Lewis said Irons will have an MRI, adding there are concerns about his knee.

Jon Kitna was 3-for-5 for 52 yards, then his backups competed to be Detroit's No. 2 quarterback.

J.T. O'Sullivan was 12-of-19 for 225 yards, a score and an interception. Orlovsky completed 15 of 23 passes for 220 yards with two TDs and an interception that was returned for a score.

Rookie Matt Toeaina - a 6-foot-2, 311-pound defensive tackle - caught the fluttering football and rumbled 81 yards for a score that gave Cincinnati a 26-10 lead early in the fourth quarter.

Cincinnati's Chris Henry is suspended for the first eight games of the season for violating the NFL's conduct policies, but that didn't keep him off the field at Detroit. He caught six passes for 86 yards, including a 9-yard TD with 1:08 left the first half to give the Bengals a 16-7 lead.

``I think it is good that he gets to play in these games because it will remind him how special this is, and how much fun it is,'' Palmer said. ``He knows he has a long way to go, and he's not feeling sorry for himself. He is going to pay for the bad choices he made, and he accepts that.''

Notes: Bengals DE Jonathan Fanene (muscle cramps) left the game in the third quarter, but Lewis said he will be fine. ... Lions DE Kalimba Edwards (shoulder) and RB Aveion Cason (concussion) were injured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 08.11.2007, 17:14 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
Bengals' Irons Out For Season With Knee Injury

AP - Rookie back Kenny Irons of the Bengals will be out for the season after tearing a knee ligament during an exhibition game at Detroit.

Irons, the Bengals' second-round draft choice from Auburn, is expected to recover fully by next spring, coach Marvin Lewis said Friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08.13.2007, 13:23 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 63868
Donate
ind.gif
Bengals forced to play RB Johnson more?

The Bengals might be forced to turn even more to their featured back, Rudi Johnson. His workload could increase. He welcomes the additional work. Johnson leads all NFL running backs in rushing attempts, 1,039, since the start of the 2004 season. That year was Johnson's first as the team's featured back, following the off-season trade of his predecessor, Corey Dillon, to the Patriots. "That's my game. It's why I train so hard," Johnson said Sunday after an afternoon practice. "I come in. I am ready to play every game, week in and week out. I have to be ready and fresh whenever my number is called." -- C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08.13.2007, 13:37 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
nyj.gif
CIN - Filling RB Spot Tops List Of Bengals Concerns

With rookie tailback Kenny Irons lost for the season with an ACL tear, the Cincinnati Bengals will take extended looks at Kenny Watson, Quincy Wilson and Curtis Brown in the remaining preseason games. The play of the backup quarterbacks has been underwhelming, so Carson Palmer had better remain healthy. The team's three rookie defensive backs - cornerback Leon Hall and safeties Marvin White and Chinedum Ndukwe - should become fine NFL players, but they are young and learning. Too much should not be expected too soon from the trio; there will be growing pains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08.13.2007, 16:02 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

oak.gif
Rudi Johnson To See More Work?

Cincinnati Enquirer - In the aftermath of the season-ending injury to rookie tailback Kenny Irons, the Bengals will look to expand the roles of backups or even sign a veteran off waivers.

But they also might be forced to turn even more to their featured back, Rudi Johnson. His workload could increase. He welcomes the additional work.

"That's my game. It's why I train so hard," Johnson said Sunday after an afternoon practice. "I come in. I am ready to play every game, week in and week out. I have to be ready and fresh whenever my number is called."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next