FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Mon 10.20.2014, 19:32

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Bilal Powell, Sleeper?!
PostPosted: Sun 05.29.2011, 02:58 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1080
Donate
Came across the "Dynasty Experts League". It's a bunch of fantasy sites, and their rookie draft is currently in progress.

One of the sites is actually Fantasy Sharks. Hmm. Interesting roster. Wonder who here managed to stock their QBs so well (Cutler, Romo and Tebow) and wind up with 1.2, 1.3 and 1.11 picks in this year's draft. The trading's been busy- Goodson for Kolb was the most interesting deal, to me.

What got my attention was the draft, currently at 2.06. The most surprising pick, hand's down, was Bilal Powell, by the Fantasy Sharks... in the 1st round. I haven't seen him projected anywhere near there. I'd struggle to think of one where he was projected earlier than 3rd- and this is IDP. RBs taken after Powell- Carter, Helu (team traded a 2012 pick for him), Vereen, Hunter.

I'd be curious to see what others think of Powell.

PostPosted: Sun 05.29.2011, 09:13 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6168
Donate
phi.gif
wait, who got drafted?

change my avatar! vote now!

PostPosted: Sun 05.29.2011, 16:45 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 38878
Donate
pit.gif
somebody is not going to like this , but that roster needed some help.

TE: Teams, Listed
Kicker: In
Def: Them

PostPosted: Sun 05.29.2011, 22:47 
Mako Shark

Donate
The Fantasy Monster wrote:
wait, who got drafted?

Bilal Powell,rookie RB for the Jets, selected with1.9. I thought he was trying to handcuff Greene (like he did Thomas/Ingram), but he don't got him.

PostPosted: Sun 05.29.2011, 23:28 

Sand$: 50085
Donate
nyj.gif
I see Powell as a handcuff in the strictess sense. I don't think he has the talent or durability to be the man but he'll be a great backup and could step in for a game or two if Greene gets dinges up. In other words, he won't have much stand alone dynasty value.

PostPosted: Mon 05.30.2011, 05:55 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15459
Donate
Captain Obvious wrote:
Came across the "Dynasty Experts League". It's a bunch of fantasy sites, and their rookie draft is currently in progress.

One of the sites is actually Fantasy Sharks. Hmm. Interesting roster. Wonder who here managed to stock their QBs so well (Cutler, Romo and Tebow) and wind up with 1.2, 1.3 and 1.11 picks in this year's draft. The trading's been busy- Goodson for Kolb was the most interesting deal, to me.

What got my attention was the draft, currently at 2.06. The most surprising pick, hand's down, was Bilal Powell, by the Fantasy Sharks... in the 1st round. I haven't seen him projected anywhere near there. I'd struggle to think of one where he was projected earlier than 3rd- and this is IDP. RBs taken after Powell- Carter, Helu (team traded a 2012 pick for him), Vereen, Hunter.

I actually know who our guy is picking and we had a little chat pre-draft about some things - some draft related, others not.

Hes aware hes weak at RB and DE, but id say hes pretty well stocked elsewhere and what you may not be aware of is he has a shedload of 2012 1st rnd picks as well to the point where its difficult to get anyone else to give any up!

He just traded:

Mayo

and got

Chaney + 2.10 & 3.01

(The ESPN guy he traded with is Matt Williamson BTW)

Bilal Powell was a popular sleeper pick pre-combine and has some talent, not enough for me to like him there though - but thats just me and that doesnt necessarily make it right! :D Each to their own however :thumbright:

I actually think he and Greene as pretty similar players... Unexplosive, but great one-cut runners who follow blockers well and are stiff-arming, leg churners than any pretense of elsusiveness. One thing he DOES have which Greene does not is that he CAN catch very well out the backfield. If he had more pace to break the corner hed definitely be a bigger candidate for this spot.

Of the backs FS has taken (ingram aside) Murray probably has the better chance of being productive with Felix only a complimentary back (been saying that for a while) and Choice not popular with Garrett for w/ever reason.

If it were me? Id have traded some of my hatful of high round picks... Or one of my QBs (or a package of both) for a sure fire starter and throw darts at the miasma of mediocre backs later.

Either way, aint no right or wrong until the draft and the season are run. Powell definitely an interesting pick tho...

PostPosted: Mon 05.30.2011, 17:43 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 9082
Donate
cle.gif
Captain Obvious wrote:

Remember oh foolish one. A bunch of dudes with websites get together and call themselves experts..so it must be it is and such.

Very little college career to speak of. HAs some speed, and with his combo, considered more of a power runner. Has shown the ability to catch in the flat a bit and turn upfield..has had injury issues. 1st round pick? Really?

ok then

PostPosted: Mon 05.30.2011, 18:37 
Mako Shark

Donate
No, I wasn't aware- he actually has 5 (of the 12) of the 2012 1st rounders. It'll be interesting to see how that's played- trade for players this year or (more likely) go draft-crazy next year.

Don't know the value of IDPs in general, but I do know (from a pure football perspective) how much more I respect Mayo over Chaney. Interesting that he'd be traded, and that it was believed those picks would cover the gap.

One of the surprising differences between Greene and Powell is what they do when met at the line. Greene has the power to overrun them, while Powell seems much more likely to get stymied. Another thing that struck me was how much Powell favors his left- always running to his left and carrying the ball in his left even when running to the right.

Ingram, Powell, A Green, Murray. Good RB group. I question Powell's draft value (not saying it's "wrong", I just don't know- I started this thread to fill that knowledge void), and am surprised Murray lasted that long, given how much he's been talked about as potentially dominating the committee there- figured someone would've bought the hype sooner.

PostPosted: Tue 05.31.2011, 03:06 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15459
Donate
Captain Obvious wrote:
No, I wasn't aware- he actually has 5 (of the 12) of the 2012 1st rounders. It'll be interesting to see how that's played- trade for players this year or (more likely) go draft-crazy next year.

Don't know the value of IDPs in general, but I do know (from a pure football perspective) how much more I respect Mayo over Chaney. Interesting that he'd be traded, and that it was believed those picks would cover the gap.

One of the surprising differences between Greene and Powell is what they do when met at the line. Greene has the power to overrun them, while Powell seems much more likely to get stymied. Another thing that struck me was how much Powell favors his left- always running to his left and carrying the ball in his left even when running to the right.

Ingram, Powell, A Green, Murray. Good RB group. I question Powell's draft value (not saying it's "wrong", I just don't know- I started this thread to fill that knowledge void), and am surprised Murray lasted that long, given how much he's been talked about as potentially dominating the committee there- figured someone would've bought the hype sooner.

Ill clarify - he shouldnt have gone that high for me... hed have been there a clear round later at least imo, but as i said before that mightnt make it so. Each dyna league is different and as the years go by you see peoples trends and hear abotu their mancrushes and it can affect drafts. Who knows, maybe Football Guys (team after the Powell pick) had had some Powell hype? They went for Carter, so who knows. The key is our guy liked him and he got his guy... If all that was going to happen is he and Murray flipped positions it doesnt make too much difference for me :)

As for Greene vs Powell. Yes, Greene is more likely to breakthrough a line, but thats like saying Chris Johnson is more likely to break the corner and make people miss :) Powell is a great all round back that runs best behind a FB in a one cut scheme. He also catches passes out the back, so he has that to his game that Greene doesnt. So with LT losing it over the year, Mcknight still a question mark that may or may not have the light come on and Greene the only lead dog in the house its good to have a guy that could slot in behind either back.

Its not like we dont know about RB durability issues :D

Running to the left? Yep he does do that alot, but its not his fault... The QB hands off to his left hand side, which immediately limits his options to half the line to run behind! Also, in some of those plays if you go back and rewatch them watch the line instead of Powell :) Youll see them move on zone blocking plays to the left, so its only natural with his speed he plays to the same side rather than trying to fool the secondary into biting that side and exploding to the right.

As for IDP? If you do follow it as a format i think youd agree that Mayo for Chaney & 2nd & 3rd is a pretty decent trade imo. Heres some more info about him:

Brian Baldinger wrote:
1. Jamar Chaney is already one of the best MLBs in the league after his first start. He was phenomenal in every phase of the game on Sunday against the Giants, in terms of recognition, physicality, getting off blocks, stopping the run downhill and sideline-to-sideline speed. It’s no knock on Stewart Bradley, but Chaney gives the Eagles their best play from the position in years. He was all over the field. When your MLB is fast and plays fast, it makes the entire defense look fast.

Andy Reid wrote:
(could Bradley play SAM if Chaney is the starting MLB?): "He could."

Theres a decent article by CSN Philly, which when you throw in the fact that they didnt really spring for one of the better LBs in the draft (Matthews in the 4th the only add they made) highlights the confidence they have in the guy.

Chaney can put up numbers similar to Mayo (as he showed in limited time last season), if our guy gets any production out of Alex Green & Vincent Brown as well then the trade worked out more than in favor of our shark! :)

In 2012 he can look forward to another couple of QBs (maybe to replace one of the triumverate of QBs he could package away in a trade), as well as stellar year for WRs and one or two better RBs than we've had this year.

If things go well he might even try and trade one or two of those 1st rounders for a markup/ improved RB, but that said there is alot to be said for building through the draft in dynas as well especially given the shelf life of an RB vs QB, WR, TE, LB, CB or S- but THAT would be another discussion entirely :D

PostPosted: Tue 05.31.2011, 08:27 
Administrator

Sand$: 383
Donate
Hi, my name is Jim Bukowski and I'm the Fantasy Sharks writer representing FS in this draft.

My pick of Powell at 1.09 has certainly generated a lot of negative buzz but that was expected. IMO, Powell has landed in a great situation. Tomlinson led the team in carries with 219 while only averaging 4.2 ypc. Greene averaged 4.1 ypc on 185 carries. I believe that Powell was drafted to replace Tomlinson, but has the upside to be the main back should Greene continue to underachieve.

As for Powell being a one year wonder, so was Greene. Prior to his breakout 2008 season Greene rushed for 205 yards in 2006 and 175 yards in 2005. He spent 2007 at a JUCO.

And even if Powell doesn't supplant Greene as the main back, based on last years split of carries there will plenty of fantasy production to go around.

PostPosted: Tue 05.31.2011, 15:27 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 9082
Donate
cle.gif
Windy City Hustler wrote:
Hi, my name is Jim Bukowski and I'm the Fantasy Sharks writer representing FS in this draft.

My pick of Powell at 1.09 has certainly generated a lot of negative buzz but that was expected. IMO, Powell has landed in a great situation. Tomlinson led the team in carries with 219 while only averaging 4.2 ypc. Greene averaged 4.1 ypc on 185 carries. I believe that Powell was drafted to replace Tomlinson, but has the upside to be the main back should Greene continue to underachieve.

As for Powell being a one year wonder, so was Greene. Prior to his breakout 2008 season Greene rushed for 205 yards in 2006 and 175 yards in 2005. He spent 2007 at a JUCO.

And even if Powell doesn't supplant Greene as the main back, based on last years split of carries there will plenty of fantasy production to go around.

Gutsy pick, no doubt. Could pay off handsomely, or he could be a guy needing a few more years to get viable reps/numbers.

PostPosted: Tue 05.31.2011, 16:14 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 117777
Donate
min.gif
discounting McKnight is an issue too.. a small one but hes still an issue and hurdle for Powell get touches and a shot at time.

PostPosted: Tue 05.31.2011, 16:29 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6168
Donate
phi.gif
birddog wrote:
discounting McKnight is an issue too.. a small one but hes still an issue and hurdle for Powell get touches and a shot at time.

i saw mcknight start in a week 17 jets game (i was there) and he was impressive.

change my avatar! vote now!

PostPosted: Wed 06.01.2011, 04:20 
Mako Shark

Donate

Hi, Jim. I appreciate you stopping by to talk about the pick.

I absolutely agree why someone could be interested in Powell-
1- Tomlinson aging;
2- Greene performing below hope. Some people tend to look past his college career and only one year of production. As a dynasty owner, I'm too aware of all this;
3- McKnight with issues throughout the offseason, preseason and regular season and only 1 good performance, but that was against the league's worst run defense.

I've never questioned Powell's appeal as a fantasy player. I was more surprised when he was drafted, not that he was. If this works out well (the RBs taken after him have their fair share of questions, too) you'll have earned a significant amount of chest-thumping time.

PostPosted: Wed 06.01.2011, 08:10 
Administrator

Sand$: 383
Donate
Captain Obvious wrote:

Hi, Jim. I appreciate you stopping by to talk about the pick.

I absolutely agree why someone could be interested in Powell-
1- Tomlinson aging;
2- Greene performing below hope. Some people tend to look past his college career and only one year of production. As a dynasty owner, I'm too aware of all this;
3- McKnight with issues throughout the offseason, preseason and regular season and only 1 good performance, but that was against the league's worst run defense.

I've never questioned Powell's appeal as a fantasy player. I was more surprised when he was drafted, not that he was. If this works out well (the RBs taken after him have their fair share of questions, too) you'll have earned a significant amount of chest-thumping time.

Hi Captain Obvious, thanks for your input and it's always a pleasure to discuss fantasy football with such a knowledgeable group. I'll admit that I like to take chances, sometimes more than I should. It will be exciting to see how this plays out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next