FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 04.17.2014, 10:26

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Fall of Gamestop?
PostPosted: Thu 08.25.2011, 11:31 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 6297
Donate
gb.gif
http://kotaku.com/5834169/gamestop-pull ... ve-debacle

Yeah, I might be stretching it a bit calling that this might be the fall of the biggest game retailer in the US. But think on it for a minute... They opened up new copies of a game which included a free download of the game through a competitor of their online system. Valve included the very same thing with Portal 2, offering a free PC download of the game through their Steam service (also a gamestop direct competitor).

If digital downloads are actually the future as some believe, and Gamestop begins to make a habit of removing content from boxes and then selling them as new, will the masses begin to feel slighted and shop elsewhere?

I bought Deus Ex Human Revolution at Gamestop yesterday afternoon for PS3, not knowing about what they had done. If I bought a PC copy instead, and they handed me an open box, I would have told them where to shove it and went elsewhere for my purchase.

Maybe this just ends up as a blip on the radar and Gamestop keeps on chugging along. I personally am nearing the point where I can no longer stand their practices, and the convenience will be outweighed by wanting to not give them any more money.

PostPosted: Thu 08.25.2011, 13:36 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 46759
Donate
min.gif
I don't go there because they ask ridiculous prices for their used games. When they take $5 off a new game that I can get from Amazon for $20 off... it's not even a hard decision. I am not a fan of Gamestop at all.

PostPosted: Thu 08.25.2011, 14:43 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 6297
Donate
gb.gif
unimsw wrote:
I don't go there because they ask ridiculous prices for their used games. When they take $5 off a new game that I can get from Amazon for $20 off... it's not even a hard decision. I am not a fan of Gamestop at all.

I am an impulse shopper when it comes to most games. I checked out a few reviews on Dues Ex, and I walked out of my apartment, and was back in 20 minutes with a copy of the game. I don't want to wait days for my purchase, and I like having a physical copy of the game I purchased, so Steam/PSN is out for my purchases in most cases.

I don't like going into Wal-Mart, because good luck finding someone to open up the game case for you. Best Buy bugs the hell out of me every time they ask me to buy a protection plan for a game. So I am left with the alternative of Gamestop.

PostPosted: Thu 08.25.2011, 17:23 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 64315
Donate
sea.gif
Yeah, if i want a game-- I'm certainly not going to buy it online. I want it in my hands. If gamestop keeps doing this, there's plenty of other retailers wanting my money.

PostPosted: Thu 08.25.2011, 20:40 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 46759
Donate
min.gif
newmancrew wrote:
Yeah, if i want a game-- I'm certainly not going to buy it online. I want it in my hands. If gamestop keeps doing this, there's plenty of other retailers wanting my money.

You know, Amazon does release date shipping, usually either for free or $1.

PostPosted: Thu 08.25.2011, 21:33 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 64315
Donate
sea.gif
Yes I do. But I buy 1 or 2 games a year, so I might go for the midnight release or early in the morning to a store. UPS delivers around 2-5 every day. Ya know?

I am however thinking about it for GOW3 because of a $20 coupon on future games...

PostPosted: Thu 08.25.2011, 23:02 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 28492
Donate
Location: Don't let the name change fool you. Still a Vikes fan for life!
min.gif
und2006 wrote:
Best Buy bugs the hell out of me every time they ask me to buy a protection plan for a game.

That's an easy fix, if that's your only qualm with Best Buy. Whenever I buy a game at BB, immediately when I get up to the counter and hand them the game I say "Thanks, but I don't need the protection plan" before they even have a chance to say anything. They never try to push it on you if you bring it up before they do.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks

PostPosted: Fri 08.26.2011, 21:07 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 26191
Donate
hou2.gif
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
und2006 wrote:
Best Buy bugs the hell out of me every time they ask me to buy a protection plan for a game.

That's an easy fix, if that's your only qualm with Best Buy. Whenever I buy a game at BB, immediately when I get up to the counter and hand them the game I say "Thanks, but I don't need the protection plan" before they even have a chance to say anything. They never try to push it on you if you bring it up before they do.

I also prefer Best Buys Gamer Rewards Zone card. Doesn't take much to earn a $10 certificate. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun 08.28.2011, 18:09 

Sand$: 41708
Donate
phi.gif
i love Steam... if i can buy a PC game off steam, it is done. i had to start over from scratch with my comp not too long ago.

all i had to do was redownload steam and i had access to all my games for re-install... easy-peazy...!

i wish i could do that for all my console gaming..

PostPosted: Fri 12.16.2011, 14:37 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33271
Donate
car.gif
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
und2006 wrote:

I just look and 'em and go "Why?" with a 'you are a moron for asking me' face.

I revel in my disdain and condescension towards them.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a beetch.