The Fall of Gamestop?

Megalodon
Sand$: 10,920.88
http://kotaku.com/5834169/gamestop-pull ... ve-debacle

Yeah, I might be stretching it a bit calling that this might be the fall of the biggest game retailer in the US. But think on it for a minute... They opened up new copies of a game which included a free download of the game through a competitor of their online system. Valve included the very same thing with Portal 2, offering a free PC download of the game through their Steam service (also a gamestop direct competitor).

If digital downloads are actually the future as some believe, and Gamestop begins to make a habit of removing content from boxes and then selling them as new, will the masses begin to feel slighted and shop elsewhere?

I bought Deus Ex Human Revolution at Gamestop yesterday afternoon for PS3, not knowing about what they had done. If I bought a PC copy instead, and they handed me an open box, I would have told them where to shove it and went elsewhere for my purchase.

Maybe this just ends up as a blip on the radar and Gamestop keeps on chugging along. I personally am nearing the point where I can no longer stand their practices, and the convenience will be outweighed by wanting to not give them any more money.

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 57,402.50
I don't go there because they ask ridiculous prices for their used games. When they take $5 off a new game that I can get from Amazon for $20 off... it's not even a hard decision. I am not a fan of Gamestop at all.
Megalodon
Sand$: 10,920.88
unimsw wrote:I don't go there because they ask ridiculous prices for their used games. When they take $5 off a new game that I can get from Amazon for $20 off... it's not even a hard decision. I am not a fan of Gamestop at all.

I am an impulse shopper when it comes to most games. I checked out a few reviews on Dues Ex, and I walked out of my apartment, and was back in 20 minutes with a copy of the game. I don't want to wait days for my purchase, and I like having a physical copy of the game I purchased, so Steam/PSN is out for my purchases in most cases.

I don't like going into Wal-Mart, because good luck finding someone to open up the game case for you. Best Buy bugs the hell out of me every time they ask me to buy a protection plan for a game. So I am left with the alternative of Gamestop.

Megalodon
Sand$: 56,032.36
Yeah, if i want a game-- I'm certainly not going to buy it online. I want it in my hands. If gamestop keeps doing this, there's plenty of other retailers wanting my money.

Image Image
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 57,402.50
newmancrew wrote:Yeah, if i want a game-- I'm certainly not going to buy it online. I want it in my hands. If gamestop keeps doing this, there's plenty of other retailers wanting my money.

You know, Amazon does release date shipping, usually either for free or $1.
Megalodon
Sand$: 56,032.36
Yes I do. But I buy 1 or 2 games a year, so I might go for the midnight release or early in the morning to a store. UPS delivers around 2-5 every day. Ya know?

I am however thinking about it for GOW3 because of a $20 coupon on future games...

Image Image
Megalodon
Sand$: 2.00
und2006 wrote:Best Buy bugs the hell out of me every time they ask me to buy a protection plan for a game.

That's an easy fix, if that's your only qualm with Best Buy. Whenever I buy a game at BB, immediately when I get up to the counter and hand them the game I say "Thanks, but I don't need the protection plan" before they even have a chance to say anything. They never try to push it on you if you bring it up before they do.

University of Minnesota Golden Gophers

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks
Megalodon
Sand$: 14,500.74
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:
und2006 wrote:Best Buy bugs the hell out of me every time they ask me to buy a protection plan for a game.

That's an easy fix, if that's your only qualm with Best Buy. Whenever I buy a game at BB, immediately when I get up to the counter and hand them the game I say "Thanks, but I don't need the protection plan" before they even have a chance to say anything. They never try to push it on you if you bring it up before they do.

I also prefer Best Buys Gamer Rewards Zone card. Doesn't take much to earn a $10 certificate. :thumbright:
Sand$: 41,708.00
i love Steam... if i can buy a PC game off steam, it is done. i had to start over from scratch with my comp not too long ago.

all i had to do was redownload steam and i had access to all my games for re-install... easy-peazy...!

i wish i could do that for all my console gaming..

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 43,750.92
vikes_fan_4_life! wrote:

I just look and 'em and go "Why?" with a 'you are a moron for asking me' face.

I revel in my disdain and condescension towards them.

34-17/ 29-7 / 34-13 / 27-17 / 31-17

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me, there's something goin' wrong around here.