FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 08.28.2014, 22:16

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 09:54 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6282
Donate
ne.gif
Question about a tactic:

A team is in good shape standings-wise, but has players on bye and/or injured- so the manager decides to start players that are out instead of dropping a player to fill in the roster spot.

Do you folks think this is a smart and legit move, good strategy but a lame move, or a boot-the-lame-ass from the league offense?

Our league has no rules about such behavior stated beforehand.

The really lame thing is the guy has 2 Defenses- so he could easily drop one.

B: Seager, Sandoval, A. Hill, L. Martin
SP: Verlander, Zimmermann, Minor, Samardizja, CJ Wilson
RP: Nathan, Chapman, Janssen, Rosman

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 09:59 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 203
Donate
We fine 20 bucks for first offense, then escalate it to double for each subsequent offense. Inexcusable BS, as there are other teams counting on guys like this d-bag being as competitive as possible.

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 10:07 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 2813
Donate
There is no problem with this unless you have a specific rule in your league that says you cannot do it.

Intentionally not starting your best players in an attempt to throw a game would be a problem. However, not filling a bye week hole because you do not have anyone that you wish to drop is personal team management. Again - you cannot force someone to do so unless you have a rule that mentions it.

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 10:10 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37442
Donate
chi.gif
Assuming he's aware of it and hasn't just stopped setting a lineup, I don't see anything wrong with it.

He'd rather accept a probable loss this week than cut a player he likes and might not be able to get back.
It's unfortunate that it may be giving an easy win to an opponent, but there's nothing wrong with it if he's legitimately trying to put his team in the best position to win in the playoffs.
You can't make a guy pick up and start a waiver wire scrub. It's apparently not against the rules, so let it go.

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 10:13 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 25485
Donate
cle.gif
No problem with it here either. I think your playoff matchups matter most if-- you are already in--than your record in most leagues.

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 10:16 
Tiger Shark

Donate
hulktr wrote:
There is no problem with this unless you have a specific rule in your league that says you cannot do it.

Intentionally not starting your best players in an attempt to throw a game would be a problem. However, not filling a bye week hole because you do not have anyone that you wish to drop is personal team management. Again - you cannot force someone to do so unless you have a rule that mentions it.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other here with your logic ... how the HELL can he be starting his "best" players, when they aren't even active? It's the same as throwing a game. exactly.

He may not give a poop, as he's protecting his roster, but what if the team he is going against is in the playoff hunt, and gets a free pass cuz this numb nutz can't be bothered to field an ACTIVE lineup?

If I was in that league, and needed this doosh to beat the other team to help my playoff prospects, I'd raise much hell about it ... and if there is money involved? WOW. Guy is a pr!ck.

total bush league crap. I'd boot his a$$ next year. :party-smiley-050:

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 10:19 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 2813
Donate
PastorOfMuppets wrote:
hulktr wrote:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other here with your logic ... how the HELL can he be starting his "best" players, when they aren't even active?

As long as he does not have a guy sitting on his bench that he could use to fill one of those spots, then it is apples and oranges. You cannot force him to pick someone else up unless its a rule. Period. This is a black and white debate. If there is no rule about it, there is no rule about it.

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 10:20 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6282
Donate
ne.gif
Good to see different opinions on this. I have never seen it done before- I always figured you had to start players who were playing or would get an illegal lineup/auto forfeit.

Like I said no rules about it in advance. But the person is fully aware of what they are doing.

B: Seager, Sandoval, A. Hill, L. Martin
SP: Verlander, Zimmermann, Minor, Samardizja, CJ Wilson
RP: Nathan, Chapman, Janssen, Rosman

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 10:31 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 505
Donate
sf.gif
hulktr wrote:
PastorOfMuppets wrote:
hulktr wrote:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other here with your logic ... how the HELL can he be starting his "best" players, when they aren't even active?

As long as he does not have a guy sitting on his bench that he could use to fill one of those spots, then it is apples and oranges. You cannot force him to pick someone else up unless its a rule. Period. This is a black and white debate. If there is no rule about it, there is no rule about it.

Agreed on the difference. One involves having to make add/drop moves which may mean losing players to another team or transaction fees or both. This has bigger impacts in keeper leagues.
The other is benching players you expect to do better and starting bench players currently on your roster with the intention to lose.

While both may have the same outcome of a loss, only one is avoidable without forcing an owner to manage his overall roster differently.

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 10:42 
Tiger Shark

Donate
Bunker wrote:
Good to see different opinions on this. I have never seen it done before- I always figured you had to start players who were playing or would get an illegal lineup/auto forfeit.

Like I said no rules about it in advance. But the person is fully aware of what they are doing.

Then ABSOLUTELY table it for next season. Whether it be heavy fines (as I alluded to earlier), or a forefeit ... it has to be eradicated as a "strategy" ... it's a total doosh move, which compromises the integrity of your league.

:party-smiley-050:

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 10:58 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37442
Donate
chi.gif
PastorOfMuppets wrote:
Bunker wrote:

Then ABSOLUTELY table it for next season. Whether it be heavy fines (as I alluded to earlier), or a forefeit ... it has to be eradicated as a "strategy" ... it's a total doosh move, which compromises the integrity of your league.

:party-smiley-050:

it doesn't compromise anything.
An owner is saying "weeks 14-16 are more important to me than week 11."

Each manager gets to run his team any way he wants. If that includes accepting a loss one week to protect his chances in future weeks, that's fine.

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 11:31 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 15637
Donate
gb.gif
I ask okay with it. If he doesn't want to cut a more valuable player, that is his call..

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 11:43 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 2418
Donate
nfllogo.gif
If I needed the guy he's playing to lose to help me make the play off, I'd be pissed off. At the same time, if there is no rule against it, then there is nothing you can do about it, other then implement a new rule for next season.

In my $$ league, we had a situation where one owner was leaving a WR on his bench even though he had a guy on the bye in his starting line up. Our commish went in and changed his line up right before the games started.

TE:Olsen,Reed
K:Brown
Def: Cincy
4/Pass TD, 6/all other TDs
Start: 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLEX(RB,WR,TE),K,Def

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 11:45 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 9867
Donate
I see nothing wrong with it. He's choosing to preserve his roster at the risk of losing this week's game due to not having enough starters. If it's happening all the time, then maybe a different story, but I've been in a position where I had to choose between dropping a valuable player to pick up a 5 point scrub to start, or just taking the goose egg and keeping my roser intact. I chose to keep the roster with an aim toward the playoffs. Sometimes it's the most competitive choice you can make.

12-Team PPR
QB - Foles, Palmer
RB - Charles, Stacy, PT, Pierce, McCluster, Blue
WR - Julio, Alshon, Keenan, Britt, Jennings
TE - Vernon, Cook
K - Vinatieri
Def - start 8 IDP

PostPosted: Sun 11.20.2011, 11:51 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 22941
Donate
det.gif
If it helps his team in the long run to not drop a valuable player and take a chance with a blank spot, there's nothing wrong with it.
I always try to avoid that, but I believe I have done this a twice thru the years.
Once was this year. First off, we are only allowed 2 waivers per week. I got hit with injuries in an already thin bye week. I believe there was a receiver that could help my team long term and I opted for that and a kicker to replace mine on a bye. I played without a defense instead of filling the defense for one week and losing out on a wideout that could help me for multiple weeks.