FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 11.29.2014, 03:37

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Inactive Owner
PostPosted: Thu 11.24.2011, 18:40 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 37986
Donate
car.gif
pinksheets wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
Agent575 wrote:
I guess I will be one to say I hate playing with guys like this and if it were my league at the end he would get replaced. Everyone is correct that he isn't breaking rules so you can't do anything other than excluding him next year. That said, my league has rules regarding what will fly and what will not so you may want to consider having that discussion with your group. You said that half of them are friends with this guy so you might just want to let it go for the overall enjoyment of all though.

I am kinda surprised at how many people think its ok for an owner to ignore offers/emails. If you can't bother to communicate with the people in your league, then what's the point?

I'm in 9 leagues, have a job, 2 kids and a life. If I see a stupid trade offer I'm just as likely to ignore it as waste my time responding.

I feel ZERO requirement to respond to something.

I agree completely. Especially if it's a casual league/not a league with sharks, etc. If someone makes me an offer that's not even close or for a player I'm not interested in moving, then I might not respond at all. In some leagues, I haven't made many waiver moves either, besides to cover byes/etc., because my priority has been too low to get a stab at the good pick ups and my drafted team is working out.

This owner isn't "inactive", he's just not as active as some others.

This type of owner doesn't annoy me as much as the one who lobs out 50 stupid offers a week. That guys a more annoying owner to me.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Fri 11.25.2011, 17:05 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18455
Donate
atl.gif
pwbowen wrote:
Agent575 wrote:
I guess I will be one to say I hate playing with guys like this and if it were my league at the end he would get replaced. Everyone is correct that he isn't breaking rules so you can't do anything other than excluding him next year. That said, my league has rules regarding what will fly and what will not so you may want to consider having that discussion with your group. You said that half of them are friends with this guy so you might just want to let it go for the overall enjoyment of all though.

I am kinda surprised at how many people think its ok for an owner to ignore offers/emails. If you can't bother to communicate with the people in your league, then what's the point?

I'm in 9 leagues, have a job, 2 kids and a life. If I see a stupid trade offer I'm just as likely to ignore it as waste my time responding.

You have time for 23,000+ posts but can't type out a simple "No thanks." or "Not interested."? Umm.....ok.

PostPosted: Fri 11.25.2011, 18:23 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 980
Donate
scootm44 wrote:
can't type out a simple "No thanks." or "Not interested."? Umm.....ok.

This is where I am at with it all. Stupid offer or not, taking 10 seconds to say "not interested in dealing Player X", "have no interest in player Y" or "if you added Player Z we could talk more" is IMO just giving some effort.

Most people I have encountered who have complained about an offer they received would say that they either ignored it, or simply rejected without saying anything and I think they are insane. Regardless of how dumb the original was, the person was likely seeing what your realistic counter would be to gauge if there is a way to work out a deal so simply ignoring or rejecting is just doing a great disservice to the league. I have sent bad ones and received bad ones...sometimes just tired and sending out stuff to do it.

I understand what others are saying in this thread but for me personally, I have no interest in playing with folks who can't be bothered to respond or make some effort. If you wanna beat a bunch on lineup setters who don't get into it like you do then thats cool. I find it dull so the money would have to be real good to be worth the waste of time.

PostPosted: Fri 11.25.2011, 22:09 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 2092
Donate
stl.gif
To send a stupid offer insults the intelligence of your leaguemate. Not only do I not bother replying, it could very well effect the perception of any offer sent to me by that owner in the future.

I'm not totally useless... I can be used as a bad example.

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w=144793

PostPosted: Fri 11.25.2011, 22:20 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18455
Donate
atl.gif
DieHard wrote:
To send a stupid offer insults the intelligence of your leaguemate. Not only do I not bother replying, it could very well effect the perception of any offer sent to me by that owner in the future.

I have sent many fair offers or just inquiries as to whether someone is interested in moving a player that may as well be letters to Santa Claus. If you need to make a smart remark when you respond to let them know their offer is a waste of your time and intellect so be it. At least they will know it was received and can move on.

PostPosted: Fri 11.25.2011, 22:41 
Blue Shark

Donate
DieHard wrote:

LMAO

I tend to view quite a few players differently than others I have talked to...I think folks like you think that everyone sees things close to the same so when you could make a counter-offer or a comment to help that person get a feel for where you stand, you get all insulted and don't reply and never know where it could have gone. Bravo...I guess.

PostPosted: Fri 11.25.2011, 23:08 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
scootm44 wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
Agent575 wrote:

You have time for 23,000+ posts but can't type out a simple "No thanks." or "Not interested."? Umm.....ok.

Yep. It's not my job to make sure the other owner's feelings aren't hurt. I'm always interested, but the offer has to be something that interests me.

If I get interested, I respond. If not, the lack of response IS the response.

It's not like someone walks up to me and is talking and I ignore them, it's electronic contact.

There's no Miss Manners list of FF etiquitte.

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Fri 11.25.2011, 23:27 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 985
Donate
stl.gif
Agent575 wrote:
DieHard wrote:

LMAO

I tend to view quite a few players differently than others I have talked to...I think folks like you think that everyone sees things close to the same so when you could make a counter-offer or a comment to help that person get a feel for where you stand, you get all insulted and don't reply and never know where it could have gone. Bravo...I guess.

There are offers that you could realistically counter and then there are offers that are so bad that you genuinely can't see how you could ever reach a fair compromise with that owner. I will always at least reject the trade but if I don't feel like adding a message or giving a reason then I won't. It's fair enough if they're just trying to start a dialogue but if the other owner can't be bothered to put a little thought into it to make sure it's at least a realistic offer, then maybe I can't be bothered to give them a reply.

The worst type of these offers is when the other guy tries to sell it to you like he's doing you a favour by taking your stud RB off your hands for a crappy TE. Those are the type that really do insult your intelligence.

PostPosted: Sat 11.26.2011, 08:56 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1037
Donate
nfllogo.gif
Agent575 wrote:
scootm44 wrote:
can't type out a simple "No thanks." or "Not interested."? Umm.....ok.

This is where I am at with it all. Stupid offer or not, taking 10 seconds to say "not interested in dealing Player X", "have no interest in player Y" or "if you added Player Z we could talk more" is IMO just giving some effort.

Most people I have encountered who have complained about an offer they received would say that they either ignored it, or simply rejected without saying anything and I think they are insane. Regardless of how dumb the original was, the person was likely seeing what your realistic counter would be to gauge if there is a way to work out a deal so simply ignoring or rejecting is just doing a great disservice to the league. I have sent bad ones and received bad ones...sometimes just tired and sending out stuff to do it.

I understand what others are saying in this thread but for me personally, I have no interest in playing with folks who can't be bothered to respond or make some effort. If you wanna beat a bunch on lineup setters who don't get into it like you do then thats cool. I find it dull so the money would have to be real good to be worth the waste of time.

Overall, I think the problem is that most ignored offers are just that bad. Many people believe that a trade discussion should always begin with a lowball offer and wait for the counter. Sometimes the lowball is insulting in fantasy just as it can be in anything else, such as selling a house. Sometimes a trade offer is made that only has value to the person offering which can also be insulting. Trying to get a RB from me and offering a mid level QB when I have three already on my roster shows me that you don't care about my end of the trade. (yes, I have received this trade offer - this is not just some random 'never would happen' example)

It also is putting the burden of creating a trade on the recipient. If you want to make a trade, why should it be the other person's responsibility to determine what the reasonable trade is after you send a poor one? And why should I volunteer any information beyond just rejecting a ridiculous offer?

I also wonder with the people who feel any trade offer should receive a response more than the rejection of an offer - do you provide a message to the person with the original trade request, or do you just lob out a silly offer with no explanation but expect the recipient to begin negotiating and discussing possibilities? Most I have encountered just send random garbage with no note to me, so why is it that I owe some courtesy to explain my position when it wasn't offered to me at the beginning?

PostPosted: Sat 11.26.2011, 20:27 
Blue Shark

Donate
I understand what you guys are saying but in the same way trade voting is dumb because there is always someone who dislikes it for one reason or another, where is the line between ridiculous offer and feeler offer or even slightly below average offer? The reason I say this is that I have seen guys that feel the way you do about it get offended about offers that were far from that level and they either didnt respond or flat rejected or rejected with some douche comment.

I understand if someone offers you a kicker for ADP that you would feel that way on it and I can't blame you even though I still would respond in some way.

What if someone offered you Crabtree and Sidney Rice for Marques Colston? I just grabbed at names there but I have seen offers like that met with douche comments or flat rejection and I don't see where your side of it makes sense other than the very extreme kicker for ADP example.

Anyways, I still think a respectful response is the best way to go.

PostPosted: Sat 11.26.2011, 20:48 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 4330
Donate
dal.gif
I had someone make me a stupid offer this season. I sent him a text calling him an idiot and we laughed about it. But it his offer let me know that he was willing to consider offers. So, we ended up making a trade that was fair for both of us. So responding to trades regardless of how idiotic they might seem, could work in your favor.

PostPosted: Sat 11.26.2011, 21:17 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
stl.gif
Agent575 wrote:
I understand what you guys are saying but in the same way trade voting is dumb because there is always someone who dislikes it for one reason or another, where is the line between ridiculous offer and feeler offer or even slightly below average offer?

That's completely a matter of personal opinion and also would depend on the state of your team. I know what you're saying but Futbol makes a great point - being offered, for example, a less than stud QB when you already have 3 on your roster shows that the other owner hasn't taken any time or effort to think about what you might want to receive in a trade. They've just looked at a player they want on your roster and picked a guy they don't care about losing to offer you for him. It may even, in terms of the players involved, not look like too bad a trade, but it's completely lazy and shows a fundamental lack of respect to the person being offered the trade.

Not trying to get on my high horse about this, I've made plenty of bad offers through laziness, tiredness, drunkenness and, in some cases, sheer stupidity, and I genuinely commend you for having the patience to respond politely to those types of offers. But, IMO, no-one is ever owed a response if they make a bad offer. And I would say not responding is a better policy than responding with a douchey comment.

PostPosted: Sat 11.26.2011, 21:19 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
stl.gif
cubfaninar wrote:
I had someone make me a stupid offer this season. I sent him a text calling him an idiot and we laughed about it. But it his offer let me know that he was willing to consider offers. So, we ended up making a trade that was fair for both of us. So responding to trades regardless of how idiotic they might seem, could work in your favor.

Depends on how well you know the other guy, if you know you can have a laugh about it then it's no problem.

PostPosted: Sun 11.27.2011, 01:46 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
Agent575 wrote:
Anyways, I still think a respectful response is the best way to go.

I won't argue against that as it would be the ideal scenario.

But I don't see no response as an issue either. A lack of interest in a trade is just that. Sometimes people just don't want to trade certain players or don't see anything of real interest on the other roster.

My only issue here is deeming an owner who doesn't feel like responding to trade offers as an 'inactive owner' as in the OP.

PostPosted: Sun 11.27.2011, 10:46 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1037
Donate
nfllogo.gif
pwbowen wrote:

My only issue here is deeming an owner who doesn't feel like responding to trade offers as an 'inactive owner' as in the OP.

agreed. At first, I thought it meant no response including accepting or declining the offer. If it really meant declining the offer but not writing a message with the decline, that isn't inactive at all.