FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Fri 10.31.2014, 03:24

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Collusion?
PostPosted: Wed 12.21.2011, 12:08 
Chum

Sand$: 6
Donate
The commissioner, I suspect, is colluding with a team that just got eliminated from the playoffs.

He added Julio Jones and Marques Colston (dropped from eliminated time) mere minutes after dropping LaDanian Tomlinson and Mike Williams. The eliminated team added Kevin Kolb and Mark Ingram.

It's down to the final four. I'll most likely beat my opponent to play the commissioner in the championships.
So, I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to piss him off, because he might not pay up my 2nd place payout, or 1st place by some miracle.

But I don't want to just stand-by and take this bullpoop, either. Is paying off a guy for those 2 players, illegal, or frowned upon? I don't know what to do.

Post subject: Re: Collusion?
PostPosted: Wed 12.21.2011, 12:33 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1534
Donate
chi.gif
That definitely seems like collusion to me. It's generally good policy to lock add/drops for eliminated teams, so that things like this can't happen.

And any sort of under-the-table payment as part of ANY transaction would also fall under the "collusion" umbrella, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you can do. If the commissioner is a d-bag, he'll remain a d-bag. I probably wouldn't re-up for this league next season.

PostPosted: Wed 12.21.2011, 12:33 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 75679
Donate
kc.gif
First assumption: Redraft league.

Once a team is eliminated, their roster should be frozen and should not be allowed to drop anyone or make waivers. Yup, I'd be pissed to no end.

PostPosted: Wed 12.21.2011, 12:41 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 2813
Donate
Yeah, this is not even questionable. The guy eliminated should have had his roster locked. The players should be put back onto his team. When you are out of the playoffs, your players are done as well. They cannot be used by other teams.

PostPosted: Wed 12.21.2011, 14:06 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1668
Donate
ne.gif
Question: Do you get weekly payouts for high score? (Hence, even eliminated teams have something to play for.) If not, then I agree with the other responses for the future; however, to deal with what you are facing today I would send an email out to the league to draw attention to the trade. Ask the guy who dropped Jones/Colston how he could believe replacing them with Kolb/Ingram would improve his team. If there is no incentive (and there appears not to be), ask how this is not collusion (don't outright accuse). Hopefully others in the league will see the absurdity, and back you. Peer pressure should help in this situation to set things right.

As for the risk of not getting paid, if you truly feel that way then I say take your chances for this season (that he won't pay you when you win) and get out of that league after years end.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed 12.21.2011, 14:46 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 4212
Donate
somehow name and shame the guy. the only thing i can think of. make a big deal of it. there might not be much you can do about it if the control of the league is in his hands but you can try to make sure no one plays with him again. although you never know, maybe he will cave in under the shaming and reverse the transactions.

maybe the site that hosts the league will accept complaints about these kinds of commissioners and blacklist him?

FantasySharks Bottom-Dweller League 13
Balls of Steel Dynasty League

PostPosted: Wed 12.21.2011, 17:48 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36742
Donate
car.gif
I don't believe in locking rosters as teams are expected to continue to be competitive through the entire season.

Now that doesn't preclude kicking someone in the azz for dropping starters. I'd expect an answer for who they thought was better to justify such actions.

And as far as the commissioner immediately grabbing them I would suspect he was tipped they would be dropped.

Don't allow FCFS free agency without a frozen period to allow everyone to see all transactions and that will eliminate some of this silliness.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Wed 12.21.2011, 18:03 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 75679
Donate
kc.gif
pwbowen wrote:
I don't believe in locking rosters as teams are expected to continue to be competitive through the entire season.

:-k Maybe I misunderstood, but I think he's talking about playoffs. The team dropping the players has been eliminated, which I took to mean not playing anymore. Any teams not playing any games or competing for something (highest score, etc.) have no business making roster changes, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed 12.21.2011, 19:04 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
jdhowlett wrote:
pwbowen wrote:

:-k Maybe I misunderstood, but I think he's talking about playoffs. The team dropping the players has been eliminated, which I took to mean not playing anymore. Any teams not playing any games or competing for something (highest score, etc.) have no business making roster changes, IMO.

Absolutely agree with your statement. If their season is done they shouldn't have authority to do anything TBH.

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Mon 12.26.2011, 13:30 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 13922
Donate
atl.gif
What about a league that offers weekly high point total rewards? Can't lock rosters if that's the case.

PostPosted: Mon 12.26.2011, 13:35 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
ATL Souljah Boy wrote:
What about a league that offers weekly high point total rewards? Can't lock rosters if that's the case.

And a good league shouldn't have to lock rosters anyway. Ideally you want owners who still want to fight and beat someone even after they are eliminated from contention. If you have to have weekly high score to try to motivate them then that should be instituted.

It's too bad we can't all just get owners who want to play for the fun of playing and competition. Unfortunately the real world is annoying and people get lazy and disinterested.