FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 10.23.2014, 08:05

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Buy low on KJ Wright?
PostPosted: Thu 01.26.2012, 14:26 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 32258
Donate
oak.gif
Just beat writer speculation at this point, but interesting nonetheless:

David Hawthorne - LB - Seahawks

Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times suggests that the Seahawks may not prioritize re-signing free agent MLB David Hawthorne.
"They want to get faster at linebacker and they could easily slide K.J. Wright inside," O'Neil speculated. "... He'd probably be a cheaper alternative than bringing David back. So there's a possibility that Hawthorne could move on." One of the better run-stopping inside linebackers in football, Hawthorne is only 26 years old and should appeal to both 3-4 and 4-3 teams.

2010 & 2011 The Premier League Champion
2012 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion

PostPosted: Thu 01.26.2012, 18:21 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 23162
Donate
det.gif
hawthorne will get paid by somebody this year.

PostPosted: Thu 01.26.2012, 22:47 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 4208
Donate
SJSwarm wrote:
Just beat writer speculation at this point, but interesting nonetheless:

David Hawthorne - LB - Seahawks

Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times suggests that the Seahawks may not prioritize re-signing free agent MLB David Hawthorne.
"They want to get faster at linebacker and they could easily slide K.J. Wright inside," O'Neil speculated. "... He'd probably be a cheaper alternative than bringing David back. So there's a possibility that Hawthorne could move on." One of the better run-stopping inside linebackers in football, Hawthorne is only 26 years old and should appeal to both 3-4 and 4-3 teams.

KJ is definately a buy low...my question is, is Hawthorne a sell high?

[quote="tha1000"]I would sell low on Shonn Greene if I could find somebody willing to trade me a bag of doritos for the guy... If I could figure out the physics of it, I would kick myself square in the nuts for drafting that clown.[/quote]

PostPosted: Fri 01.27.2012, 03:21 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13580
Donate
sea.gif
The Seahawks have plenty of cap space, so I think unless they feel KJ is the better player for the position, they'll resign Hawthorne, though Hawthorne didn't really play as well this season as he did in relief of Lofa the year before.

Pete did emphasize pass rush and speed at linebacker as the top two things to address in the offseason, though.

PostPosted: Fri 01.27.2012, 03:54 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7323
Donate
cle.gif
Some of Hawthorne's drop-off can likely be attributed to the knee (which I think wasn't really "right" all season...well enough to play, but not at 100%, and Hawthorne's not such an elite talent that 80-90% is necessarily good enough), but you can't argue that he backslid some in '11.

However, I'm still leery of jumping on the Wright Wagon just yet. Still far from certain Hawthorne isn't brought back, and even if he ain't there's no guarantee that Wright's ready/able to take over at MLB in Seattle or that if the 'Hawks have decided to move on they won't address the position in free agency or the draft.

I think that would be more likely if they do let Hawthorne go. SLB isn't a "sexy" position, and with precious few exceptions it's an IDP wasteland, but it can be a very important slot in a 4-3 NFL wise, and given how well Wright played there last year they may not want to fix what ain't broke.

If I can get Wright for nothing or close to it then why the hell not, but it's WAY too early to go anointing folks.

Don't give up on Hawthorne either. He's a 26 year-old linebacker with more talent than he gets credit for, he still managed 115 tackles in 2011, and if Seattle does show him the door there should still be at least a few spots he could land in where he'd be at least an IDP LB2. (Philly, New York, Miami depending on what the scheme switch means, Cincy, New Orleans, Detroit if Tulloch bolts, etc.)

Long story short while it's a story worth mentioning (I did, before coming here to check on the store) it's still way too soon to start making personnel moves based off one beat writer's speculations.

Carts and horses kids. Get the yips you'll end up with the IDP equivalent of Charles Barkley's golf swing.

Follow IDPManor on Twitter!

PostPosted: Fri 01.27.2012, 15:21 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13580
Donate
sea.gif
Yeah, I wouldn't jump the gun.

I honestly expect Hawthorne to be back next year. I think we're going to be replacing Leroy Hill (though he may still be resigned for depth).

PostPosted: Fri 01.27.2012, 23:15 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 32258
Donate
oak.gif
I own Wright in a 12 team 45 man roster dyno, and got him for nothing off waivers. I think I will hold him and see how it goes.

2010 & 2011 The Premier League Champion
2012 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion