FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 04.19.2014, 15:32

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moving a pool table.
PostPosted: Sun 01.29.2012, 23:59 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 6331
Donate
gb.gif
Anyone have some experience with this?

Ive read a little bit online, taking it apart seems to be required. Most places recommend having a professional do it, who will come in, take it apart, move it, and set it up. Surely I can take it apart myself, move it, and maybe even set it up? I would like to avoid paying for as much of this as possible.

So take it apart, move it, try to put it together and if I fail call in a pro to put it together right?

I am buying this used, and it will be in storage until we move into the house in March.

Post subject: Re: Moving a pool table.
PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 00:05 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8926
Donate
det.gif
If you have friends or family that owe you money, ask them to help you.
I you don't, pay somebody to do it for you.

PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 00:18 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3436
Donate
dal.gif
Be very careful with this. Just remember there is slate under the felt. I would suggest a piano dolly, if you can rent one. Is it 3 pieces? This might help.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 029AA1JjLD

PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 08:43 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
gb.gif
Yes, it's three piece slate. I have plenty of help lined up.

PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 09:06 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 113028
Donate
min.gif
Go at it yourself. If it were me/mine I'd store it flat and level if at all possible with all legs/feet supported/in solid contact with the floor.

Id just treat it respectfully sort of speak and not get rough with it so it racks anything .. no pun intended of course

PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 09:59 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 14038
Donate
chi.gif
I recently checked with the place I bought mine from 'cause I'm thinking of selling it.

They will disassemble it, move anywhere within 50 miles, and reassemble it for $300.

If it needs new felt, that's another $150.

I personally wouldn't even consider tackling it myself. Trying to get the surface level enough to be usable looks like a real pain. I watched the guy set mine up.

Let the sun and light come streaming
Into my life, into my life

PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 10:11 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 8892
Donate
pit.gif
Quote:
Trying to get the surface level enough to be usable looks like a real pain.

Same feeling here after watching them install mine.

A decision factor might be how much you're paying for the table and its condition. If I'm dropping a couple of $ grand on one, I'm having someone else do the eventual install even if I elect to do the initial disassembly and storage work with some help from my friends.

PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 10:21 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 11496
Donate
buf.gif
i refuse to help people move pool tables anymore. because within months of people getting one, 99% of them either use it as a laundry folding table, or it just sits there not being used AT all.

you can literally get one for free on craigslist in any city because moving them are complete PITA to move.

the companies know this so expect to be charged a gazillion dollars to move one. it will take then an hour or 2 tops and charges range from 300 - 500 bucks.

same rule applies for hot tubs.

when we were shopping for a home, at least 50% of the homes had pool tables in them.

PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 12:00 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 45771
Donate
min.gif
I have a pool table in my house. The previous owners left it, despite me not wanting it. I used it quite a bit for about two months, then got bored with it. We have Christmas decorations sitting on it now.
As far as moving it... mine will be going out in many pieces when I finally get around to buying a sledgehammer. Those things are a waste of money unless you own a bar.

PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 13:27 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 11496
Donate
buf.gif
unimsw wrote:
I have a pool table in my house. The previous owners left it, despite me not wanting it. I used it quite a bit for about two months, then got bored with it. We have Christmas decorations sitting on it now.
As far as moving it... mine will be going out in many pieces when I finally get around to buying a sledgehammer. Those things are a waste of money unless you own a bar.

we almost bought a house but we were negotiating with the owner. i had already told him we didn't want it. down the line when we couldn't come together on a price (their house had been on the market for 8 months and barely budged on their asking price that hadn't changed the entire time) he goes, "but you are getting the POOL TABLE" i start laughing and am go, "thanks for reminding, me. i'm taking another $200 bucks off our offer for the removal of a pool table. i have no problem letting your home sit for another 8 months"

the next day another house came on the market, 2 days later we made an offer on it and got it. calling back that guy was one of the funnest phone calls i've ever made. he was flabbergasted and so angry.

PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 16:01 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3080
Donate
cle.gif
We were very happy when we sold my Dad's house and the guy asked for the pool table to be included. They are often hard to get rid of and I have heard nothing but nightmares for people trying to move them. Everyone I have talked to that moved one by hand said if they had to do it again, they would pay to have it done professionally or just sell the old one and buy a new one.

PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 19:41 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 20977
Donate
cle.gif
I've moved several over the years. It's a complete pain in the arse.

A two piece slate is freakin hard to move. That's 4 guys per slate, and seems like there's always some twist or skinny stairwell where there's not enough room for everyone to get a grip. Meaning there are times when you need a big strong guy alone on at least one end. I'm always that guy cause I'm big and strong. Your looking at 300 lbs flat, even more while on the bottom going down stairs.

I'd rather dig a big ditch or something.

A three piece slate is easier to move but still freaking heavy.

A non slate table is junk anyway. That's when it's time to bring in the sawzall and hack that junk into pieces for the trash.

If money is not tight I'd easily pay someone say $400 to move one, but that's assuming they set it up perfect, with new felt.

Oh, trying to re lay an old felt without some kind of problem is next to impossible. Holes and creases never seem to go back in place.

PostPosted: Mon 01.30.2012, 22:09 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
gb.gif
Good advice everyone.

Going to tackle moving it out on my own and getting it to the new house. Then I think Ill have someone come set it up to make sure it's right and have the re-felt it (felt now is red, I would prefer blue or green). I have three other guys to help move it, and there is no weird twists or narrow openings so I think we can handle it.

I found the same table for sale for $1800 new, it's about a year old and in good shape. I paid $500.