FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 08.23.2014, 08:23

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Wed 02.29.2012, 12:10 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 9054
Donate
cle.gif
birddog wrote:
Fighting Amish wrote:
birddog wrote:
Whos had an eye on Golden Domer Harrison Smith this past year? .. didn't pop out at the Senior Bowl but I'm curious to hear what he did with his season in South Bend..

gut check time for the Vikings at the back-end of their zone mess

i can care less what other people say about this kid..he's going to be a solid Safety in the NFL. He's a football player, I just like his style.
Think he'll be solid his first year or need a 'growth spurt'?.. anything stand out from last year that he did?

I've seen half of the ND games this past year, and what this guy is is a football player. He's not an elite athlete, but imo, he can be an elite safety for both run support and today's demands on safety coverage skills.

6’2 214 pounds
4.56 40 yard dash

He's a smart player with great awareness. He's not going to get beat deep, he doesnt take crazy chances and just plays solid defense. Run Support coverage of the te's, he can do it well. He's a bit stiff and doesn't have the great athleticism but he's going to be a solid safety in the NFL. Pro bowl? Maybe, maybe not. 60-40 not..and he doesnt have blazing speed, but what safety does?
I like his tenacity and smarts. I want this kid on my team were i a coach.

Everson Walls was a corner that never was drafted because he never had measurables, he was a football player. So is this kid.

PostPosted: Wed 02.29.2012, 13:00 

Sand$: 95695
Donate
Fighting Amish wrote:
birddog wrote:
Fighting Amish wrote:
birddog wrote:
Whos had an eye on Golden Domer Harrison Smith this past year? .. didn't pop out at the Senior Bowl but I'm curious to hear what he did with his season in South Bend..

i can care less what other people say about this kid..he's going to be a solid Safety in the NFL. He's a football player, I just like his style.
Think he'll be solid his first year or need a 'growth spurt'?.. anything stand out from last year that he did?

I've seen half of the ND games this past year, and what this guy is is a football player. He's not an elite athlete, but imo, he can be an elite safety for both run support and today's demands on safety coverage skills.

6’2 214 pounds
4.56 40 yard dash

He's a smart player with great awareness. He's not going to get beat deep, he doesnt take crazy chances and just plays solid defense. Run Support coverage of the te's, he can do it well. He's a bit stiff and doesn't have the great athleticism but he's going to be a solid safety in the NFL. Pro bowl? Maybe, maybe not. 60-40 not..and he doesnt have blazing speed, but what safety does?

Everson Walls was a corner that never was drafted because he never had measurables, he was a football player. So is this kid.

Off the top of my head Smith was completely over matched vs. Michigan, USC, and Stanford - especially in the passing game (pretty good vs. the run). I completely disagree with your assessment.

PostPosted: Wed 02.29.2012, 15:04 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
cle.gif
OarChambo wrote:
Fighting Amish wrote:
birddog wrote:
Fighting Amish wrote:
birddog wrote:

6’2 214 pounds
4.56 40 yard dash

Off the top of my head Smith was completely over matched vs. Michigan, USC, and Stanford - especially in the passing game (pretty good vs. the run). I completely disagree with your assessment.

He's a bit stiff and doesn't have great athleticism, but for a safety, he's got all the speed he needs for both run support pursuit and coverage. I thought he sealed the win against USC in 10' with the int..? He's just a football player, the kid has raw rough talent and football smarts and I can see him developing into a solid nfl safety with the coaching. Is he bland..perhaps, he doesn't take big risks, he does his job well and doesn't make mistakes. Over matched? I didnt see that at all.

PostPosted: Wed 02.29.2012, 17:47 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 114980
Donate
min.gif
Well, from what I've gathered so far from the 2 guys I thought might be on the radar for the Vikes heading into the Senior Bowl I have Smith>>>Iloka but I don't believe thats says a whole lot. Iloka is unimpressive and hits like teet mouse. At least Smith can catch and play a little up front if needed.

just saw this on the Vikes site this morning under their team reporter's blog:

http://blog.vikings.com/2012/02/29/23-q ... g-combine/
Quote:
23 Quick Observations From The 2012 NFL Scouting Combine
Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 29, 2012 – 6:32 am
12. The “best player available” (BPA) strategy will be in play for the Vikings this year, especially as it pertains to the team’s 2nd-round pick (currently #35 overall). Even if the BPA is a DE, RB or TE, I wouldn’t put it past GM Rick Spielman and his personnel staff to simply select the best football player on the board, regardless of position, when they’re on the clock. That’s a good way to infuse a talent-depleted roster with some talent.
23. A couple of sleeper picks for the Vikings in the 2nd round: S Harrison Smith (Notre Dame) and DL Nick Perry (USC).

odd to see that get posted after posting it yesterday afternoon here but, at least I'm not the only one thinking about the crap back end Frasier's been trotting out every week. I think there may be a better player available come pick #35.. we'll see.

PostPosted: Wed 02.29.2012, 19:04 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1238
Donate
dal.gif
vonbearsalot wrote:
endzoneview wrote:
vonbearsalot wrote:
Fighting Amish wrote:
Luck ran up against an elite track star in RG and a freak athlete in Cam..i think he ran very well. I can still remember the Tom Brady combine pics. He was about 15 yards back on this comparison, and looked like a skinny accountant. Luck is going to be a superstar..hope the hell the Colts build a stellar line for him.

Like, literally elite. Top few in the nation.

He could be a track Olympian if he wanted to. Just a complete freak athlete.

I think I read he was an All American Hurdler. Don't worry, Al Michaels and Tirico will remind you every time he leaps over a defender.

Not just an All-American hurdler. He graduated high school a semester early and enrolled at Baylor. He ran track in what would have been his senior year in high school. This is of course after he set state records in the 110 and 300 m hurdles and had the best high school mark in the country in the 400 hurdles as a junior. So in that first semester of college (remember, he's basically a high schooler at this point) he set a Midwest regional record in the 400m hurdles, finished 3rd in the nation and made it to the semifinals of the Olympic trials.

As a high schooler by age.

That's incredible.

Very nice stuff Von. I've been surprised not to hear more about this throughout the season. I ran track at Baylor a couple years before RG3 got there and saw him run a few times there-still shocked he turned into the QB he is now. At the time, he was a MUCH bigger track recruit than football, and I'm convinced he went to Baylor because of it. Baylor had been the top 400m-400h school in the country for the better part of 2 decades. He was probably the best HS track recruit in the past 5 years prior at the time. The HS records he broke had been recently set by Kerron Clement, who's now the world record holder in the indoor 400m, and #7 all time in the world in the 400m hurdles.

He's bulked up at least 25 lbs. since he came on to the Baylor track scene, no way he could match his low to mid 48 400 hurdles form now...He's probably a good bit slower than he was at that time now that he's put on football weight and not doing track specific work but it's no doubt to the benefit of his football career. =D>

PostPosted: Wed 02.29.2012, 22:53 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 53238
Donate
chi.gif
Fighting Amish wrote:
He's a bit stiff and doesn't have great athleticism, but for a safety, he's got all the speed he needs for both run support pursuit and coverage. I thought he sealed the win against USC in 10' with the int..? He's just a football player, the kid has raw rough talent and football smarts and I can see him developing into a solid nfl safety with the coaching. Is he bland..perhaps, he doesn't take big risks, he does his job well and doesn't make mistakes. Over matched? I didnt see that at all.

I don't watch a lot of college ball, so I don't know if it's an apt comparison at all, but the way you're describing him reminds me of how people described a bigger, faster Taylor Mays a few years ago.

I still think Mays needs to just bulk up and become a LB like Urlacher did coming out of ASU, but that's an entirely different conversation.

PostPosted: Wed 02.29.2012, 23:03 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33762
Donate
car.gif
vonbearsalot wrote:
Fighting Amish wrote:

I don't watch a lot of college ball, so I don't know if it's an apt comparison at all, but the way you're describing him reminds me of how people described a bigger, faster Taylor Mays a few years ago.

I still think Mays needs to just bulk up and become a LB like Urlacher did coming out of ASU, but that's an entirely different conversation.

I can't believe a Bears fan doesn't know the legend of the Urlacher, who was a Safety at New Mexico and was only recruited there and New Mexico State. [-X

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Wed 02.29.2012, 23:56 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
chi.gif
pwbowen wrote:
vonbearsalot wrote:
Fighting Amish wrote:

I can't believe a Bears fan doesn't know the legend of the Urlacher, who was a Safety at New Mexico and was only recruited there and New Mexico State. [-X

#-o duh, wrong southwestern state..... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 04:57 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
cle.gif
pwbowen wrote:
vonbearsalot wrote:
Fighting Amish wrote:

i could see Smith turning into a lb actually if they want to do that..and Mays may end up being an apt comparison to Harrison, there's always a chance of that. I like football players. Urlacher is a football player and I just love harrisons gameplay.

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 05:00 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
cle.gif
birddog wrote:
Well, from what I've gathered so far from the 2 guys I thought might be on the radar for the Vikes heading into the Senior Bowl I have Smith>>>Iloka but I don't believe thats says a whole lot. Iloka is unimpressive and hits like teet mouse. At least Smith can catch and play a little up front if needed.

Quote:
12. The “best player available” (BPA) strategy will be in play for the Vikings this year, especially as it pertains to the team’s 2nd-round pick (currently #35 overall). Even if the BPA is a DE, RB or TE, I wouldn’t put it past GM Rick Spielman and his personnel staff to simply select the best football player on the board, regardless of position, when they’re on the clock. That’s a good way to infuse a talent-depleted roster with some talent.
23. A couple of sleeper picks for the Vikings in the 2nd round: S Harrison Smith (Notre Dame) and DL Nick Perry (USC).

odd to see that get posted after posting it yesterday afternoon here but, at least I'm not the only one thinking about the crap back end Frasier's been trotting out every week. I think there may be a better player available come pick #35.. we'll see.

Fate? 8)

I'll tell you what Bd..the draft may enfold any number of a thousand ways..but there is a good chance Zach Brown, LB, North Carolina could drop to you at #35. A first round talent that you're brain trust will not pass up on if he's there. No way.

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 09:52 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 16969
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
birddog wrote:

Quote:

My dream. Cut Charlie, Hutch and Sully. Sign Chris Myers houston. Sign Meachum. Draft Kalil and take a shot at a LG in round 2. Come back in round three and grab the falling star in Alshon.

cutting Sully Hutch and Ola~ Johnson that would free up close to 11-12 mill. We do have a third rounder this year right? Chili didn't throw that one away?

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 23:42 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
Fighting Amish wrote:
birddog wrote:

Quote:

Fate? 8)

I'll tell you what Bd..the draft may enfold any number of a thousand ways..but there is a good chance Zach Brown, LB, North Carolina could drop to you at #35. A first round talent that you're brain trust will not pass up on if he's there. No way.

Yea, it can go any direction when the clocks ticking. We've got a weird situation with LBs.. not sure whats going to happen with it but if theres a guy that doesn't belong that drops Spielman gets a little excited.

PostPosted: Fri 03.02.2012, 08:11 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
badgasman9 wrote:
birddog wrote:

Quote:

My dream. Cut Charlie, Hutch and Sully. Sign Chris Myers houston. Sign Meachum. Draft Kalil and take a shot at a LG in round 2. Come back in round three and grab the falling star in Alshon.

cutting Sully Hutch and Ola~ Johnson that would free up close to 11-12 mill. We do have a third rounder this year right? Chili didn't throw that one away?
Vikes have a 3rd this year.. Meachum doesn't excite me as much - the way he catches the ball in his body drives me nuts when watching the Saints but hed be an alright add since hes better than anything we have.

I can see where you'd want to flush the oline - thats pretty obvious.. "Ola~ Johnson" <-- got a chuckle :D We've got the kid - now lets try and protect him please... please.

PostPosted: Wed 03.07.2012, 19:05 

Sand$: 47449
Donate
nyj.gif
Anyone else wondering why no wonderlic scores have been "leaked" this year?

:(

No Combine thread is complete without this.

PostPosted: Thu 03.08.2012, 11:11 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
chi.gif
:lol:

They'll come out closer to the draft. Right now we still have Pro Days and free agency to distract us. Somewhere in April when things slow down they'll start to leak.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9