FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Wed 04.23.2014, 04:50

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 10:19 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 16052
Donate
nyg.gif
Quote:
ROTOWORLD:
ESPN's Adam Schefter confirmed on SportsCenter that the Steelers won't use the franchise tag on restricted free agent Mike Wallace.
Though a sense emerged that the Steelers will keep Wallace after GM Kevin Colbert's comments at the Combine, beat reporter Ed Bouchette hasn't been so sure, and the tender will leave the Steelers susceptible to aggressive, receiver-needy "predators" with late first-round picks. Whereas Wallace would have been locked in with Pittsburgh on the franchise tag, he'll be targeted for restricted free agent offer sheets on the first-round pick tender.

With three of the last four picks in the first round needing a receiver like Wallace, do you think someone goes for it? Who do you think is most likely to try to steal him?

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 10:40 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 79
Donate
ne.gif
I'd like to see the Patriots go for him, though it seems a bit out of character for them to do so.

Blue Shark League #2

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:04 

Sand$: 40242
Donate
nyj.gif
I think this is the smart play by Pitt and I don't expect a team to sign him to an offer sheet. All you'd be doing is the contract work for the Steelers. He's not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:12 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 16052
Donate
nyg.gif
endzoneview wrote:
I think this is the smart play by Pitt and I don't expect a team to sign him to an offer sheet. All you'd be doing is the contract work for the Steelers. He's not going anywhere.

I tend to agree with you, and it does not happen often. But, if you are the Ravens why would you not go for it? You take a chance to steal a Pro-bowl caliber receiver with the 29th pick and the worst case scenario is you run the price up on your division rival and decrease their cap space.

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:16 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 8916
Donate
pit.gif
I'm leaning the other direction 51% - 49% and think not only will someone sign him to an offer sheet, the Steelers will end up not matching it and take the likely late Rd 1 draft pick.

Been listening to the radio spots that one of the PIT Steeler beatwriters does periodically who generally is on point with respect to inside scoop stuff and my sense is they really like Brown and Sanders and the WR depth in the draft this year and if the price is too high, bye-bye Wallace.

As I've indicated in other posts, I really think the Steelers believe that Antonio Brown is already and will develop into an even better WR than Wallace is now.

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:19 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15224
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
Well Mr Rooney don't forget to take this before going to bed.

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:24 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8563
Donate
phi.gif
jesteva wrote:
I'm leaning the other direction 51% - 49% and think not only will someone sign him to an offer sheet, the Steelers will end up not matching it and take the likely late Rd 1 draft pick.

Been listening to the radio spots that one of the PIT Steeler beatwriters does periodically who generally is on point with respect to inside scoop stuff and my sense is they really like Brown and Sanders and the WR depth in the draft this year and if the price is too high, bye-bye Wallace.

As I've indicated in other posts, I really think the Steelers believe that Antonio Brown is already and will develop into an even better WR than Wallace is now.

If it does happen Brown's value is going to soar through the roof!! It will be interesting to see the sell/buy highs that start taking place in dynasty leagues with this latest speculation.

2012 Hundred Yard Heroes Dynasty Champ
2013 Monday Night Rehab Keeper Champ
2013 TPHCC Dynasty Champ
2013/14 Hardwood Sharks Basketball Champ

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:27 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
phillyphaithful07 wrote:
jesteva wrote:

If it does happen Brown's value is going to soar through the roof!! It will be interesting to see the sell/buy highs that start taking place in dynasty leagues with this latest speculation.

cant fault them. Brown was amazing last year they then can draft one of about 3-4 speed deep threats out of any given draft in the second or third round.

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:34 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 8916
Donate
pit.gif
Quote:
cant fault them. Brown was amazing last year they then can draft one of about 3-4 speed deep threats out of any given draft in the second or third round.

This.

And even though they're probably already at / or near the cap level in terms of moves they've made or will be making to release some additional players, it would give them a lot more flexibility.

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:46 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
phi.gif
jesteva wrote:
Quote:

This.

And even though they're probably already at / or near the cap level in terms of moves they've made or will be making to release some additional players, it would give them a lot more flexibility.

Agreed. The Steelers FO has certainly shown their WR draft prowess over the last couple of drafts; Wallace, Sanders, and Brown. They definintely have to be feeling confident that they can find another gem in this years WR class.

2013 TPHCC Dynasty Champ

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:47 

Sand$: 94469
Donate
jesteva wrote:

I think it's more a cap issue than talent. The Steelers need to trim some salary and Wallace will net them a #1 pick, the other cap casualties don't offer that. If they didn't have Brown and Sanders in tow they couldn't do it, but I don't think they're considering letting Wallace go because of them. it's the cap.

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:49 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
I think wallace will be a pat. Its what they need.

that or a charger

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:55 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 31990
Donate
oak.gif
OarChambo wrote:
jesteva wrote:

I think it's more a cap issue than talent. The Steelers need to trim some salary and Wallace will net them a #1 pick, the other cap casualties don't offer that. If they didn't have Brown and Sanders in tow they couldn't do it, but I don't think they're considering letting Wallace go because of them. it's the cap.

I agree that the cap plays a part, but the Steelers are going to look effing brilliant if they get a pick that will net them say David DeCastro to shore up that crap line and get a new WR3 to play behind Brown and Sanders later in the draft.

2010 & 2011 The Premier League Champion
2012 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 11:59 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
phi.gif
If this does happen and they get a late first round pick Stephen Hill would make a lot of sense for them.

2013 TPHCC Dynasty Champ

PostPosted: Thu 03.01.2012, 12:07 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 14561
Donate
The Steelers were approx $24million OVER the cap at the start of all this a few weeks back, right?

By restructuring a bunch of contracts (4? 5? Including Ben's), cutting (Bryant) McFadden & Battle they are about even with the cap as of yesterday ...

By releasing Ward, they freed up over $4million in salary and almost $8million in cap space (Ward has pro-rata'd accelerators - its messy but for arguments sake its between 4-8mill) ...

They only need approx $8mill to sign Wallace ($9.4 is the franchise money, Wallace wants to stay also), so theyre already over halfway to signing him, PLENTY of other guys they could cut that have the younger guys waiting in the wings, draft or FA

Scott (29) $2million
Kemoeatu (29) $3million
Foote (32) $3million
Farrior (37) $2.8million
Aaron Smith (35) $2.1million
Hampton (34) $8.1million (but Colbert INSISTS Hampton is going nowhere - so looks like a restructure, which for his age and coming off an injury like that shouldnt be difficult to negotiate at all)

Right now, i think any team wanting to sign Wallace wont just have to give up a 1st (which is very reasonable tbh) but will have to be the leader in the negotiations, as i think the Steelers will let the market set his value, then just re-sign him.

Even if they dont there are some bloated contracts on aging players theyll have solved, as well as grabbing a first and having replacements already in situ.

Win: Win for Pittsburgh tbh. Well played =D>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next