FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 04.19.2014, 09:30

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Sun 03.04.2012, 10:42 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Fri 03.28.2008, 14:43
Posts: 14864
Sand$: 15172
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
Elmagister wrote:
badgasman9 wrote:
Elmagister wrote:
Health care for life on everyone playing at least 2 years in the league would probably be super cheap.



A union protects its fellow employees. Not injured them with health issues and then not pay them enough to cover there health costs for upper level management to have huge gains.

Thats what they actually stand against. If your truly a union. Health insurance really isn't as expensive as you would think. There are plenty of health care HMO's that would love to have that cash flow and could make it work for slightly above what we all pay.

Right now the system benifits the top 5% the most. Perhaps a cap on salary exempting higher paid nfl players from a pension might be an order. Mean not life time but yearly income. Retired guy who has 10 mill in the bank forgo's his pension. 5 mill. I guess draw the line where you wish but all in all Brady , Brees and Manning should truly never need there pensions.


Yes, HMOs would LOVE for the NFL to start paying for a lifetime of care for the thousands of men who have played 2 years or more in the league. The cost would rise every year. The League would bankrupt.



The league would not go bankrupt for the 2-3 year guy but under the current situation it would bite a chunk out of the players take. Same point if they restructured i highly doubt it would cost as much as you think. If they made the health care related to football related injuries only, incredibly cheap. Also it would be a huge tax write off for the league. Now lets not forget life time health care was on the table in the last CBA. The players shot it down. After they asked for it in this cba. Cash is king in the present climate.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Sun 03.04.2012, 10:45 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Sat 05.16.2009, 09:57
Posts: 24128
Sand$: 30939
Donate
Location: Arkansas
mia.gif
badgasman9 wrote:
Elmagister wrote:
badgasman9 wrote:
Elmagister wrote:
Health care for life on everyone playing at least 2 years in the league would probably be super cheap.



A union protects its fellow employees. Not injured them with health issues and then not pay them enough to cover there health costs for upper level management to have huge gains.

Thats what they actually stand against. If your truly a union. Health insurance really isn't as expensive as you would think. There are plenty of health care HMO's that would love to have that cash flow and could make it work for slightly above what we all pay.

Right now the system benifits the top 5% the most. Perhaps a cap on salary exempting higher paid nfl players from a pension might be an order. Mean not life time but yearly income. Retired guy who has 10 mill in the bank forgo's his pension. 5 mill. I guess draw the line where you wish but all in all Brady , Brees and Manning should truly never need there pensions.


Yes, HMOs would LOVE for the NFL to start paying for a lifetime of care for the thousands of men who have played 2 years or more in the league. The cost would rise every year. The League would bankrupt.



The league would not go bankrupt for the 2-3 year guy but under the current situation it would bite a chunk out of the players take. Same point if they restructured i highly doubt it would cost as much as you think. If they made the health care related to football related injuries only, incredibly cheap. Also it would be a huge tax write off for the league. Now lets not forget life time health care was on the table in the last CBA. The players shot it down. After they asked for it in this cba. Cash is king in the present climate.


I wouldn't want most of my pay to go to taking care of retired players either. I feel bad for the older players, who didn't make millions, but these days, the money is good enough that you should be able to take care of yourself after. You know going into the league that you're sacrificing your body to an extent. Prepare for life after the league.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Sun 03.04.2012, 12:33 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 07.31.2007, 20:39
Posts: 5358
Sand$: 8561
Donate
phi.gif
rugger48 wrote:
phillyphaithful07 wrote:
birddog wrote:
Saints place franchise tag on QB Brees

Published: March 3, 2012 at 03:50 p.m.


The New Orleans Saints have used their franchise tag on quarterback Drew Brees, Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported Saturday.

The Saints' decision to use their tag on Brees adds another twist to what has been a surprisingly contentious round of negotiations between the Saints and their Super Bowl MVP quarterback. NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported earlier this week that frustration had built with Brees and the team planned to franchise him barring a late development, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

The franchise tag figure for quarterbacks this year is $14.4 million.

The development with Brees comes in the wake of a "bounty" scandal that has rocked the Saints organization. The NFL revealed Friday that Saints defenders and then-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams administered a "pay for performance" system from 2009-2011 that included "bounty" payments.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... aking_news
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

wonder what the contract talk #'s were


This seems like a foolhardy plan on the Saints part to me. I think in the end they still sign Brees to a long term deal this off-season. Sure with the "exclusive rights" tag they now have the time to talk Brees into signing for less than he currently wants, but in the end they are going to loose Nicks or Colston out of it by not being able to use their tag on one of them.



I dont think he will sign for less, he will probably end up the highest paid qb in the league when its all said and done. It was most likly they were going to lose either nicks or colston either way if brees agreed to a contrct. IMO colston would be the one to let go, he had 2 microfracture surgeries and he is turning 29, i think they should move on from him.


I think with time on their side the Saints will be able to get Brees to meet in the middle of the "5 million $" difference. But even if they don't, by using the franchise tag on a player they are going to sign one way or another, they lose the opportunity to use it on Colston or Nicks. What I actually meant with my original post is that they will lose both Nicks and Colston, instead of just one, due to franchising Brees. I don't fully agree with you on Colston as I think he is still an integral part of the offense, but I still think the Saints let him walk over Nicks in a franchise tag situation.Eespecially with the monster contract Nicks is seeking. So essentially they lose one of the best guards in the game by using the tag on Brees.

_________________
2010 Monday Night Rehab Keeper Champ
2010/11 Hardwood Sharks Basketball Champ
2012 Sotheby's Big Play Champ
2012 Hundred Yard Heroes Dynasty Champ
2013 Monday Night Rehab Keeper Champ
2013 TPHCC Dynasty Champ
2013/14 Hardwood Sharks Basketball Champ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 09:13 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Thu 09.15.2005, 16:53
Posts: 22857
Sand$: 5506
Donate
Location: north camolina
car.gif
when it rains it pours...
Quote:
"Brees is 'livid' about being … tagged and not receiving a long-term contract, according to WIST-AM in New Orleans. The radio station cites sources in the Brees camp that he will not sign the franchise tag deal.
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 8/35104485


and then there's this...
Quote:
"If you're going to suspend guys like Gregg Williams, then you have to suspend ... all these guys who are anteing up money," Turley told Yahoo! Sports Radio. "And then you're going to really have to take a hard look at suspending Drew Brees. Because I want to know how much he knew. He's a representative for the union and for their health and safety."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 09:24 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Fri 03.28.2008, 14:43
Posts: 14864
Sand$: 15172
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
I guess I would want 22 mill to if i stirred up the hornets nest. This guy is fail all around.

what a dumbarse.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 09:28 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Sat 05.16.2009, 09:57
Posts: 24128
Sand$: 30939
Donate
Location: Arkansas
mia.gif
You know a man's hate for the Saints is strong when he cites Kyle Turley's opinion as intelligent/relevant :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 09:47 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Thu 09.15.2005, 16:53
Posts: 22857
Sand$: 5506
Donate
Location: north camolina
car.gif
Elmagister wrote:
You know a man's hate for the Saints is strong when he cites Kyle Turley's opinion as intelligent/relevant :)

well at least i didn't write a whole article on his thoughts and/or post it on my massive website.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 09:55 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Sat 05.16.2009, 09:57
Posts: 24128
Sand$: 30939
Donate
Location: Arkansas
mia.gif
raynman wrote:
Elmagister wrote:
You know a man's hate for the Saints is strong when he cites Kyle Turley's opinion as intelligent/relevant :)

well at least i didn't write a whole article on his thoughts and/or post it on my massive website.


:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 12:16 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat 08.01.2009, 23:39
Posts: 27522
Sand$: 41184
Donate
Location: SoCal
nyj.gif
raynman wrote:
when it rains it pours...
Quote:
"Brees is 'livid' about being … tagged and not receiving a long-term contract, according to WIST-AM in New Orleans. The radio station cites sources in the Brees camp that he will not sign the franchise tag deal.
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 8/35104485


and then there's this...
Quote:
"If you're going to suspend guys like Gregg Williams, then you have to suspend ... all these guys who are anteing up money," Turley told Yahoo! Sports Radio. "And then you're going to really have to take a hard look at suspending Drew Brees. Because I want to know how much he knew. He's a representative for the union and for their health and safety."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack


Like the NFL would suspend any start QB :lol:

There's a real chance Brees holds out however, if they don't come to terms. We have a long, long way to go though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 12:27 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Fri 11.12.2004, 09:36
Posts: 7645
Sand$: 8077
Donate
jax.gif
Canfora just reported that Brees is so livid his birth mark is now a crimson red.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 13:06 
Offline
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07.09.2005, 14:37
Posts: 26870
Sand$: 9054
Donate
Location: America's North Coast
cle.gif
hankrip wrote:
Canfora just reported that Brees is so livid his birth mark is now a crimson red.


I heard it moved to the other side of his face..

_________________
Image
"It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 13:09 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Wed 09.01.2010, 22:00
Posts: 2733
Sand$: 14388
Donate
Location: Seattle, WA
sea.gif
What birthmark? You mean the botched teardrop tattoo Brees got from his blind cellmate in lockup after he shivved Skinny Pete?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 15:21 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Joined: Tue 08.18.2009, 16:31
Posts: 9785
Sand$: 14561
Donate
Location: twitter.com/deeperanddown
Might make a difference to NOS, might not -- but they just got close to $5million a year abck through restructuring Smith's contract

ESPN wrote:
The New Orleans Saints have saved $4.78 million in salary cap space by restructuring the contract of veteran defensive end Will Smith, according to numbers obtained by ESPN.com.

Roto wrote:
The Saints have restructured RE Will Smith's contract, reducing his cap number by $4.78 million.
Smith won't be released after the restructure. He lost no money in the deal, instead having a $6.175M signing bonus implemented into his 2012 pay on top of a $150,000 workout bonus, $1M roster bonus to be paid on March 27, and $825,000 salary. Smith's cap numbers do shoot through the roof in 2013 and 2014, however, so he may be playing his final season in New Orleans.


FWIW, those final year figures for (DE) Smith are circa $14million per yr in 2013 & 2014. Which is a fair bit of coin for an avg Defensive End, so theyll have to either do this again next year or, easier ... just cut him (he'll be 33 in 2013).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 15:28 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Fri 03.28.2008, 14:43
Posts: 14864
Sand$: 15172
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
pinksheets wrote:
What birthmark? You mean the botched teardrop tattoo Brees got from his blind cellmate in lockup after he shivved Skinny Pete?


i always wondered if its a Jolly Rancher grape flavored candy that he fell a sleep with in bed and still has yet to wash his face.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drew Brees
PostPosted: Tue 03.06.2012, 17:49 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Thu 09.03.2009, 11:08
Posts: 5824
Sand$: 8760
Donate
Location: Behind enemy lines, enjoying the implosion...
gb.gif
endzoneview wrote:
raynman wrote:
when it rains it pours...
Quote:
"Brees is 'livid' about being … tagged and not receiving a long-term contract, according to WIST-AM in New Orleans. The radio station cites sources in the Brees camp that he will not sign the franchise tag deal.
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 8/35104485


and then there's this...
Quote:
"If you're going to suspend guys like Gregg Williams, then you have to suspend ... all these guys who are anteing up money," Turley told Yahoo! Sports Radio. "And then you're going to really have to take a hard look at suspending Drew Brees. Because I want to know how much he knew. He's a representative for the union and for their health and safety."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack


Like the NFL would suspend any start QB :lol:

There's a real chance Brees holds out however, if they don't come to terms. We have a long, long way to go though.


I can't see him holding out for more than a few weeks of training camp, if at all. He loses money for every day he holds out, and in the end, they can Franchise him for the rest of his career if they'd like (unless QBs are exempt from this and I am unaware of it?). A hold-out is bad for both, but ultimately the Saints hold most of the cards.

I still think they meet somewhere in the middle before the season starts.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], The BlueBeards and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group