FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 08.28.2014, 00:05

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Meachem, bust
PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 15:27 

Sand$: 96011
Donate
My post in the Alshon thread reminded me, I think Meachem's going to flop in San Diego. Just follow his career

*Evaluated as top tier talent
*Makes asinine 'get paid' comment pre draft (might have been right after the draft though, not sure)
*Fell further in round 1 than projected
*Did nothing for a year or 2 - I think 2
*Developed into a role player, probably because New Orleans realized he wasn't the horse they expected
*Finished on a relative high note (compared to the rest of his career), but still wasn't anything special
*Free agency comes around, instead of staying on the contender he went to a perennial under achieving team that offered him more $
*Best I can tell, New Orleans didn't even try to re-sign him.

Appears to me his motivation is $ and now that he has it I see strong potential for regression on the horizon. Buyer beware

Post subject: Re: Meachem, bust
PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 15:40 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 3215
Donate
kc.gif
I thought he was injured his 1st year in the league, and was very slow to develope? But it is not a good sign that the Saints let him walk.........

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 15:57 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7693
Donate
jax.gif
OarChambo wrote:
*Free agency comes around, instead of staying on the contender he went to a perennial under achieving team that offered him more $

Some good points, but I can't agree with above.

99 out of 100 of us in his position would take the most money offered no matter where it sends us.

Going from Brees to Rivers is a very soft landing considering all the poor QB play out there.

SD doesn't distribute to various targets to degree the Saints do, so Meachem should see a career high in catches. M Floyd and A Gates can't stay on the field, so he might catch a ton by default.

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 16:19 

Sand$: 47595
Donate
nyj.gif
Can a bust bust?

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 16:21 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15023
Donate
Q: Was his role @NOS marginalised because of the sytem Payton uses ... or// were NOS forced to marginalise him because of his lack of skill set?
A: We'll find out ...

For the sake of devils advocacy?

He might have moved for the opportunity of vastly expanded PT. If he moved for that over $$ then the move is a character "+" rather than a "-"
    He mightve moved because NOS cant afford anyone right now thanks to Brees holding a cocked gun to the payroll
    He mightve moved because with Colston, Graham & Sproles (bush before that) he knew hed be hoping for an injury
    If he was poorly thought of around the league, why was he one of the very first free agents WRs to get visits and offers?

Hes been in the league 4yrs ... sometimes a move helps - often it doesnt - but it does happen

One things for sure, he's going to have no place to hide in or behind in 2012 as the WR#1 for Rivers.

Football Outsiders had Meachem ranked as the #21 Receiver in the NFL (adjusted for PT) and for a guy that is the 3rd or 4th option in an offense? Thats none too shabby and ahead of some illustrious peers.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Im with Oar ... By all means buyer beware - Still so much unknown with him & he was as much a victim of the saints success with their system as he was a benefactor.

But remember if anyone of you thought that Malcom Floyd was a good WW add, then Meachem is positively dreamy by comparison.

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 16:35 

Donate
hankrip wrote:
99 out of 100 of us in his position would take the most money offered no matter where it sends us.

Obviously it's tough to answer not being in that position, but I imagine if I were in a financial positon of these guys and a great team offered me $20 mil and a lousy team offered me $22 mil (talking g'td $) I'd take the $20 mil and go for a title. From what I've seen from recent free agents going from good teams to worse teams most of them seem to perform much worse on the new team.

I'm not saying every one of these guys is just chasing an extra couple of bucks, but I'd bet the majority of them are. Once those guys have it, what's the motivation? There are better risks to take.

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 16:47 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 39424
Donate
pit.gif
OarChambo wrote:
hankrip wrote:

Obviously it's tough to answer not being in that position, but I imagine if I were in a financial positon of these guys and a great team offered me $20 mil and a lousy team offered me $22 mil (talking g'td $) I'd take the $20 mil and go for a title. From what I've seen from recent free agents going from good teams to worse teams most of them seem to perform much worse on the new team.

I'm not saying every one of these guys is just chasing an extra couple of bucks, but I'd bet the majority of them are. Once those guys have it, what's the motivation? There are better risks to take.

I agree with that, but how about if you had already won a title?

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 16:48 

Donate
rugger48 wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
hankrip wrote:

Still doesn't change where his motivation is. If it's on the bottom line and not killing it on the field that's not a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 16:54 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
OarChambo wrote:
rugger48 wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
hankrip wrote:

Still doesn't change where his motivation is. If it's on the bottom line and not killing it on the field that's not a good thing.

6 million a year for him to be a wr 1, while already having a title. I wouldnt call it a huge contract. Usaully guys who are looking for money have a big mouth to go with it, other than before the draft seems like hes been patient.

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 16:59 

Donate
rugger48 wrote:
6 million a year for him to be a wr 1, while already having a title. I wouldnt call it a huge contract.

Never said it was, said he got paid so where's his motivation if that's all he cares about? Key word, if, but given the history there's reason to believe it's true.

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 17:01 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
OarChambo wrote:
rugger48 wrote:
6 million a year for him to be a wr 1, while already having a title. I wouldnt call it a huge contract.

Never said it was, said he got paid so where's his motivation if that's all he cares about? Key word, if, but given the history there's reason to believe it's true.

all im saying is, how do you know thats his motivation? Because of something he said 5 years ago, or is there something else Im not catching.

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 17:10 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 46584
Donate
ne.gif
I have always been high in his talent but missing out on any production.

Hoping it changes in SD, but not expecting it to.

Interesting article: http://dynastyfootballwarehouse.com/statistical-analysis-and-fantasy-football/

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 17:26 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15023
Donate
Cyguy84 wrote:
I have always been high in his talent but missing out on any production.

Hoping it changes in SD, but not expecting it to.

So was Oar :D He prefered him to Bowe coming out of college as he "had the extra gear Bowe doesn't" or something similar. And no, im not holding something that old against anyone.

I get where Oar is coming from in terms of "motivation", but thats not the reason he might be a bust or a success in '12.

With that many WRs at NO, and coming off an uncapped year they couldve cut him any time tin 2011 if he was a "lazy" player. So i really dont see that as an issue. Wouldnt make sense for a ca$h strapped organization hip-deep in WRs to keep him around if he were.

Main reason for Bust-worthiness is: He was either marginalized at the saints for a lack of skill set/game ... or he was marginalized because of the system Payton plays.

We dont quite rightly know for sure :dontknow:

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 17:31 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33988
Donate
car.gif
OarChambo wrote:
hankrip wrote:

Well, d'uh. :wink:

The system that they were in was probably a better fit for their skills and a better team had better players around them allowing them to not shoulder extra burden.

Besides the fact that most of the time the players have already physically peaked by the time they hit free agency and their skills will always erode over time.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Wed 03.28.2012, 18:16 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 690
Donate
was.gif
endzoneview wrote:
Can a bust bust?

goto the 'Hotties' thread to find that out... :lol: