User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 36226
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 10,393.02
I watched "Barney's Version" Friday night. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1423894/

It came out in 2010, stars Paul Giamatti, who is one of my favorite actors. Not sure how I missed this one.

Anyways, really good film, telling the story of a guy growing up through his three failed marriages. Highly recommended.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 14888
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004
Sand$: 31,152.78
Watched the English version of girl with the dragon tattoo this weekend. Not a very cohesive story and definitely didn't need two endings. Once the main story line was resolved there was no need to add 30-40 more minutes to the movie to vindicate the male protagonist.

Dear Hollywood,
Stop casting people in roles tipping off the audience as to who's the villain. Although, it would have been easy enough to figure things out, they didn't need to put it on a platter.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 16204
Joined: Tue Sep 6, 2005
Sand$: 8,006.01
i watched The Cutting Edge on TV a few days ago. That move still gives me chills at the end. and whatever happened to the actress in that movie. never heard from her again.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 45471
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009
Sand$: 5,148.88
SonOfDad wrote:Watched the English version of girl with the dragon tattoo this weekend. Not a very cohesive story and definitely didn't need two endings. Once the main story line was resolved there was no need to add 30-40 more minutes to the movie to vindicate the male protagonist.

Dear Hollywood,
Stop casting people in roles tipping off the audience as to who's the villain. Although, it would have been easy enough to figure things out, they didn't need to put it on a platter.


Foreign version was much better. I couldn't finish the new one.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 35747
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006
Sand$: 57,668.85
LOL... ya'll will find something to complain about in every movie. :lol:
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 36226
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 10,393.02
Elmagister wrote:
SonOfDad wrote:Watched the English version of girl with the dragon tattoo this weekend. Not a very cohesive story and definitely didn't need two endings. Once the main story line was resolved there was no need to add 30-40 more minutes to the movie to vindicate the male protagonist.

Dear Hollywood,
Stop casting people in roles tipping off the audience as to who's the villain. Although, it would have been easy enough to figure things out, they didn't need to put it on a platter.


Foreign version was much better. I couldn't finish the new one.


I have this one (the English version) and the Descendants lined up next.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 27237
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003
Sand$: 4,300.34
endzoneview wrote:
Elmagister wrote:
SonOfDad wrote:Watched the English version of girl with the dragon tattoo this weekend. Not a very cohesive story and definitely didn't need two endings. Once the main story line was resolved there was no need to add 30-40 more minutes to the movie to vindicate the male protagonist.

Dear Hollywood,
Stop casting people in roles tipping off the audience as to who's the villain. Although, it would have been easy enough to figure things out, they didn't need to put it on a platter.


Foreign version was much better. I couldn't finish the new one.


I have this one (the English version) and the Descendants lined up next.


I think you'll be disappointed by the Descendents...I thought it was going to be a squirelly "Men Who Stare At Goats" type deal, but it was more serious. It wasn't bad...it just wasn't what I expected.
_______________________________________

Image
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 35739
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006
Sand$: 130,889.76
unimsw wrote:
ATL Souljah Boy wrote:
und2006 wrote:I saw The Hunger Games last night. The camera moves around like crazy. It was alright... nothing deep or special. I'm told that its better if you read the book, but I fail to see how that would be the case.


People try to point out the differences between this and Battle Royale but to say that the author didn't completely jack the concept is lying to yourself. I was a huge fan of Battle Royale, it's definitely more gory too. I'll probably like the Hunger Games but it's a watered down version for tweens.

The first book is definitely a ripoff, but the second and third books take on more of their own identity. Of course, they aren't as good as the first one... In any case the movie is getting really good reviews, so I'll see it.

Actually pretty good I thought. My son really enjoyed it, but he has read all the books. I am going to drag him to see Wrath of the Titans next week as payback! :lol:
_______________________________________

Image
2016 LOT Roman League Champ
2015 $harktooth League Champion
2015 In Your Face $ League Champion
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 34480
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003
Sand$: 17,483.96
und2006 wrote:I saw The Hunger Games last night. The camera moves around like crazy. It was alright... nothing deep or special. I'm told that its better if you read the book, but I fail to see how that would be the case.


the problem for dudes is that its written by a woman. in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, i am under the impression that women are able to weave TREMENDOUS stories that really grab you and then at the end just crap all over the story. i feel that this is because a good ending isn't necessary to most women. they just want the emotional highs and lows of the journey to get there.

now men are just as capable of awful endings (see cormac mccarthy) but it just seems the norm for me when i see a woman author.
_______________________________________

currently consulting my FF appraiser/advisor
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 24934
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002
Sand$: 12,546.50
I tried to make it through Hunger Games on the internet. I found myself skipping forward to when the actual battle starts. From the parts I saw it was decent enough, but nothing overly impressive where I thought WOW GREAT MOVIE! I can see where the tweens will eat it up, but most adults I would understand if boredom started to seep in.

Stanley Tucci was the best character by far.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 35747
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006
Sand$: 57,668.85
ATL Souljah Boy wrote:I tried to make it through Hunger Games on the internet. I found myself skipping forward to when the actual battle starts. From the parts I saw it was decent enough, but nothing overly impressive where I thought WOW GREAT MOVIE! I can see where the tweens will eat it up, but most adults I would understand if boredom started to seep in.

Stanley Tucci was the best character by far.

Get a job.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 45878
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005
Sand$: 42,079.66
unimsw wrote:
ATL Souljah Boy wrote:I tried to make it through Hunger Games on the internet. I found myself skipping forward to when the actual battle starts. From the parts I saw it was decent enough, but nothing overly impressive where I thought WOW GREAT MOVIE! I can see where the tweens will eat it up, but most adults I would understand if boredom started to seep in.

Stanley Tucci was the best character by far.

Get a job.


You've reported him, haven't you? :lol:

I suddenly picture ASB in his letterman jacket: "That right, I'm a movie bootlegger, baby!!!"
_______________________________________

34-17/ 29-7 / 34-13 / 27-17 / 31-17

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me, there's something goin' wrong around here.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 36226
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 10,393.02
pwbowen wrote:
unimsw wrote:
ATL Souljah Boy wrote:I tried to make it through Hunger Games on the internet. I found myself skipping forward to when the actual battle starts. From the parts I saw it was decent enough, but nothing overly impressive where I thought WOW GREAT MOVIE! I can see where the tweens will eat it up, but most adults I would understand if boredom started to seep in.

Stanley Tucci was the best character by far.

Get a job.


You've reported him, haven't you? :lol:

I suddenly picture ASB in his letterman jacket: "That right, I'm a movie bootlegger, baby!!!"



User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 24934
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002
Sand$: 12,546.50
Anchorman 2 Confirmed
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 45878
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005
Sand$: 42,079.66
ATL Souljah Boy wrote:Anchorman 2 Confirmed


Someone's career isn't doing too well.
_______________________________________

34-17/ 29-7 / 34-13 / 27-17 / 31-17

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me, there's something goin' wrong around here.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests