FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 10.30.2014, 09:28

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed 04.04.2012, 15:31 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15503
Donate
pwbowen wrote:
getdownmmmkay wrote:
what a bunch of ratards. if this pisses me off as a fan, i can only imagine how pissed mayhew, schwartz and other coaches and players are. the lions are right there. right on the cusp of being a perennial top team. these idiots who need to need to grow the hell up are going to get a coupletwotree words put in their ears by a coupletwotree people, i would think. i'd love to be a fly on the wall when schwartz or cunningham are talking to these guys....kids. sorry.

What about some of this coming back on Mayhew? He selected these guys. Were they really vetted properly? Sure, you'll get some that were never expected but when THREE of one single draft class has issues then I begin to wonder if someone over-valued physical and devalued mental acumen.

And thats why i was saying Mayhew should "be livid" ...

They desperately need a top corner. Wont get Claiborne. That leaves two character cases in both Kirkpatrick & Jenkins.

In no way shape or form should whats happened affect their draft board moving fwd, but i cant help but think its going to be the elephant in the war room for them come draft day.

PostPosted: Wed 04.04.2012, 15:37 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 6711
Donate
pit.gif
Quote:
Were they really vetted properly?

Martin Mayhew - "Hi Mikel...do you smoke pot"?
Mikel Leshoure - "No".
MartinMayhew - "OK....thanks"

Martin Mayhew - "Hi Nick...do you smoke pot"?
Nick Fairley - "No".
Martin Mayhew - OK....thanks"

All the guys were drug tested at the Combine. I realize the teams can hire PI's to do background checks on players but if you test negative and you ask the guy and he says no, not sure what else you can reasonably do - absent a legit reason to really dig into someone's background which I guess you'd do on most first rounders. Not sure after that.

PostPosted: Wed 04.04.2012, 15:37 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 18183
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif

PostPosted: Wed 04.04.2012, 16:09 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15503
Donate
jesteva wrote:
Quote:

Mikel Leshoure - "No".

Nick Fairley - "No".

All the guys were drug tested at the Combine. I realize the teams can hire PI's to do background checks on players but if you test negative and you ask the guy and he says no, not sure what else you can reasonably do - absent a legit reason to really dig into someone's background which I guess you'd do on most first rounders. Not sure after that.

Leshoure got done for a marijuana infraction in college.

If they ended up cutting him (not saying its likely, but it is possible) & if they DID - as you point out - ask him point blank if he smoked weed and he replied in the negative, then hes opening himself up to action to recover monies paid to him historically and any future eligible amount.

PostPosted: Wed 04.04.2012, 16:10 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3356
Donate
det.gif

PostPosted: Wed 04.04.2012, 16:17 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3356
Donate
det.gif
EDIT :F

PostPosted: Wed 04.04.2012, 16:19 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 12092
Donate
gb.gif
Figured I'd paste this here after putting it in the draft discussion:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

Quote:
"My officer said, 'Hey dude, if you eat that stuff, it's going to make you sick,' " Ruhl told MLive.com on Tuesday. "And Leshoure said, 'I thought when the police stopped you, that's what you're suppose to do.' ... He's been watching too many cop shows."

PostPosted: Wed 04.04.2012, 17:14 

Sand$: 51077
Donate
nyj.gif
NFL.com's Albert Breer from last year

Quote:
Albert Breer ‏ @AlbertBreer
... Fairley's issues are well-documented. But Young was considered "high-maintenance". And Leshoure had failed drug test on his record. ...
4:36 PM - 6 May 11 via Echofon

Leshoure's past was no secret. The Lions knew what they were getting into.

Week 9 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Wed 04.04.2012, 20:56 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36706
Donate
car.gif
jesteva wrote:
Quote:

Mikel Leshoure - "No".

Nick Fairley - "No".

If that's the extent of the 'background check' then people should be fired.

If you ran a company and you could only hire 1 of the top 100 graduates each year and then tie up $M in multi-year contracts I'd imagine you'd be doing a helluva lot more research. Background checks, interviewing relatives and friends, acquantances, and former coaches and team-mates. The GM should paraphrase Marcelus Wallace's speech about Butch and say "if that mutha ever was ever pulling weeds in the garden, I wanna know about it." You can count the number of new hirees that you'll be bringing in that will actually impact your team on the hand of a bad woodshop teacher.

Sometimes they simply throw the reports away or turn a blind eye because someone fell to them that they didn't expect.

Maybe there's a reason that Fairley fell as far as he did from initially being considered for the #1 overall spot just a few months earlier.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Thu 04.05.2012, 19:42 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 335162
Donate
sf.gif
pwbowen wrote:
jesteva wrote:
Quote:

Mikel Leshoure - "No".

Nick Fairley - "No".

If you ran a company and you could only hire 1 of the top 100 graduates each year and then tie up $M in multi-year contracts I'd imagine you'd be doing a helluva lot more research. Background checks, interviewing relatives and friends, acquantances, and former coaches and team-mates. The GM should paraphrase Marcelus Wallace's speech about Butch and say "if that mutha ever was ever pulling weeds in the garden, I wanna know about it." You can count the number of new hirees that you'll be bringing in that will actually impact your team on the hand of a bad woodshop teacher.

Sometimes they simply throw the reports away or turn a blind eye because someone fell to them that they didn't expect.

Maybe there's a reason that Fairley fell as far as he did from initially being considered for the #1 overall spot just a few months earlier.

I can't believe the league even cares about pot. It isn't performance enhancing and it's far less damaging than alcohol - and god knows lots of NFL players like to get drunk.

Regarding background checks, most of these guys aren't choir boys. You're going to dig up all kinds of dirt. You also can't just replace one random employee with another - these guys are getting paid to score touchdowns and make tackles, not push paper around.

By and large these teams know who the knuckleheads are during the draft, before the draft, and after the draft. They get graded/drafted accordingly but on field performance will get you a second and third shot in the league just about no matter what you did. Go ask Michael Vick.

PostPosted: Thu 04.05.2012, 22:21 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36706
Donate
car.gif
oban14 wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
jesteva wrote:
Quote:

Mikel Leshoure - "No".

Nick Fairley - "No".

I can't believe the league even cares about pot. It isn't performance enhancing and it's far less damaging than alcohol - and god knows lots of NFL players like to get drunk.

Regarding background checks, most of these guys aren't choir boys. You're going to dig up all kinds of dirt. You also can't just replace one random employee with another - these guys are getting paid to score touchdowns and make tackles, not push paper around.

By and large these teams know who the knuckleheads are during the draft, before the draft, and after the draft. They get graded/drafted accordingly but on field performance will get you a second and third shot in the league just about no matter what you did. Go ask Michael Vick.

What you or I think about pot isn't relevant, it's ILLEGAL. And it would be asinine for the league to not curry public opinion by not putting up with it.

You're stereotyping by basically saying they are 'not choirboys' so that you just have to take the good with the bad. Guess what? MOST of the league HASN'T been arrested It's possible to actually have players who are not only non-criminal but actually productive members of society.

And the player you reference is the one that's the poster child for non-due diligence: Michael Vick. It wasn't unknown that he was involved in nasty sheet and the dog-fighting rumors were floating around prior to the massive contract extension Atlanta handed him. They dropped the ball by not doing what a real business would: take a look behind the curtain.

And it's not just the $ or the PR, a guy isn't worth a damn if he's suspended.

Guys fall in the draft due to character issues now and teams are flat out stupid to not move guys down who have these issues since there's a much greater likelihood that they'll be unavailable when they need them to play. And then GMs and coaches get fired, too.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Fri 04.06.2012, 23:14 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 335162
Donate
sf.gif
pwbowen wrote:
oban14 wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
jesteva wrote:
Quote:

Mikel Leshoure - "No".

Nick Fairley - "No".

What you or I think about pot isn't relevant, it's ILLEGAL. And it would be asinine for the league to not curry public opinion by not putting up with it.

You're stereotyping by basically saying they are 'not choirboys' so that you just have to take the good with the bad. Guess what? MOST of the league HASN'T been arrested It's possible to actually have players who are not only non-criminal but actually productive members of society.

And the player you reference is the one that's the poster child for non-due diligence: Michael Vick. It wasn't unknown that he was involved in nasty sheet and the dog-fighting rumors were floating around prior to the massive contract extension Atlanta handed him. They dropped the ball by not doing what a real business would: take a look behind the curtain.

And it's not just the $ or the PR, a guy isn't worth a damn if he's suspended.

Guys fall in the draft due to character issues now and teams are flat out stupid to not move guys down who have these issues since there's a much greater likelihood that they'll be unavailable when they need them to play. And then GMs and coaches get fired, too.

It shouldn't be illegal and in some states it isn't. I understand coming down hard on steroids, stimulants, and anything that can be used as a performance enhancing substance, but I don't think they should even bother testing for pot. That said, there are a couple things we agree with.

If your job is high paying, and particularly if it is limited to a dozen or so years tops, and you know you will be drug tested regularly by your employer and subject to a loss of pay if you get in trouble with the law, you are a complete fool for smoking pot. Same goes for driving drunk, getting in fights, etc.

That said, personnel decisions are all a matter of calculated risk. Vincent Jackson has been convicted of at least one or two DUIs, but he still started for San Diego and got a nice FA contract - because he's better than anyone else they could get. Most GMs and coaches would rather start a knucklehead version of Calvin Johnson for 8-10 non-suspended games per year than start Davone Bess for 16.

When it's time for the draft or free agency, GMs draft/sign players with first round talent in the later rounds who fell due to off field issues, injury risks, etc. Some of them will wash out and live up to their reputation, but you can also find some real diamonds in the rough. Calvin Johnson admitted to smoking pot to the Lions before the draft and they drafted him anyway. Think they regret it?

PostPosted: Sun 04.08.2012, 10:45 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1355
Donate
tb.gif
man - it's just weed but it is illegal. I wish these guys would just wait till their career is over...or move to a state where all you need is a script or get a P.O. box address...

Stankweasels 3000 wrote:
Also, if any woman complains about the size of your package, there's one sure way to make her think it's too big....put it in the metered mail slot.

PostPosted: Wed 04.11.2012, 08:17 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 2356
Donate
cin.gif
trippwwf wrote:
man - it's just weed but it is illegal. I wish these guys would just wait till their career is over...or move to a state where all you need is a script or get a P.O. box address...

Or, ummm....I don't know, maybe STAY HOME IF THEY PLAN TO GET HIGH! LOL! Possibly a little overthinking on this part of it. If they're going to do it, failing a drug test is one thing, but to get arrested for it is completely asinine and inexcusable. If they lack the common sense to stay home, then they're pretty much opening themselves up to a Darwin-like process of elimination. :F Just my opinion, though...

EDIT: By the way, I'm a Cincinnati fan, so please don't take this post as casting stones, for the house I live in is glass...

QB/2RB/3WR/TE/K/DST/2DL/4LB/3DB

PostPosted: Wed 04.11.2012, 08:37 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 18183
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
what ever happen to drinking Rum and Diet Coke till you can't see straight. Oh and then call a taxi.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 32  Next