FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sun 12.21.2014, 12:16

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon 07.09.2012, 21:59 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 586
Donate
So what do people think about drafting in the 12th position? Obviously most of the "sure thing" rbs are gone, same with rodgers and at least brady/brees if not both. Megatron is gone. So what do you think the best drafting strategy would be.

My gut tells me I need to still try and pull to Rb's because it is by far the thinnest position. Do other people think it would be better to try and snag a top WR/TE/QB??

Wr: VJax, Bowe, J Gordon, A Roberts
Te: Cameron
K: Sturgis
DST: SF

PostPosted: Mon 07.09.2012, 22:26 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 11777
Donate
gb.gif
I know some guys that draft at the turn like to snag a QB/WR tandem, like Brees/Colston, Stafford/Megatron, etc. If you can hit on a good pair, it would free you up to get a pair of decent RB's on your next two picks.

PostPosted: Mon 07.09.2012, 22:50 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3535
Donate
phi.gif
I think that you need to get a RB with one of your first two picks at the elbow. Like you said RBs are super thin this year!! I would hope that Chris Johnson falls, but in the likely event that he doesn't I would shoot for Richardson. Pair one of these with Jennings or AJ and you will have a solid start to your draft.

2012 Hundred Yard Heroes Dynasty Champ
2013 Monday Night Rehab Keeper Champ
2013 TPHCC Dynasty Champ
2013/14 Hardwood Sharks Basketball Champ

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 06:59 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8275
Donate
ind.gif
I like grabbing 2 RB's at that end. I think there are some very good choices. In most leagues you will see Aaron Rodgers, Calvin Johnson, and maybe Tom Brady taken in the 1st. So you should have the #9 and #10 RB's on the board. I think the quality drops so much in the (Fantasy Sharks Rankings) tier 3 to tier 5 range that getting 2 RB's is best.

As the devil's advocate, most years people looking at a picked over RB group will think about taking 2 WR's. If the draft was 8 RB's, Megatron, Rodgers and Brady to your slot, you can take Larry Fitzgerald and Brandon Marshall ... the #2 and #3 WR's in FS ranking, and both tier 1. Say that round 2 takes out another 4 RB's and then round 3 takes another 4 RB's ... that leaves you with a choice of #17 and on at the 3/4 turn. That is choosing from some uninspiring RB's. But if you get the right hits you'll have a good lineup. Typical years the 3/4 turn had some good but not great names ... Cedric Benson types.

There is a broad consensus that there are fewer and fewer RB's in the NFL with 20-plus carries per game and heavy involvement in the offense. Running plays are called less often than passing plays and that seems a growing trend. Running back by committee with specialized roles is another growing trend. This year seems to have a larger number of reasons to doubt specific RB's ... guys with years piling up: Gore, Turner, SJax, McGahee, FJax ... guys with career altering injuries: almost everyone. An RB with an expectation of a big role, and a young set of legs, and reasonable health ... those are very valuable.

On the other hand, at least give some thought to the flip side of that argument. Everyone will face that RB pressure. Maybe with a few smart sleepers and the right waiver pickups you can have field decent RB's, and wipe the floor with stud WR's. In a passing league, there will still be some elite guys that threaten to break some records.

As for me, I go RB, RB at the turn, and go from there.

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 07:31 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 28486
Donate
chi.gif
What are your starting lineup requirements? Anything unusual like being able to start >2 RBs (flex) changes how you proceed at that point.

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 07:58 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3245
Donate
dal.gif
Just grab Jimmy Graham and then the rb/wr/qb you feel the most comfortable with. Graham is a top 5 wr in ppr, maybe even top 2 that will give you a huge advantage each matchup.

With the depth at wr/qb and the insane amount of unreliable rbs after the top 5, this is the safest route to go and then try and hit on a few rb 3s and 4s like Isaac Redman, Doug Martin, Best, etc

QB- A. Luck
WR- Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Cecil Shorts, Andre Roberts
WR- Roddy White, Percy Harvin, Cody Lattimore, D. Adams
RB- J. Bell, C. Michael, Alfred Blue, CJ Anderson
TE- GRONK
DEF- Indy, Wash

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 07:58 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 802
Donate
I think you almost have to go RB/RB/, especially if it's a 12 team draft. By the time your 3rd/4th picks are in you'll be selecting from guys like FJAX/Bradshaw/Turner while receivers like Jennings/Marshall/White/Cruz are still left.

I'd much rather have those WR's then RB's so I feel at the turn you'd almost have to go like Forte/Richardson/Lynch/ or McFadden combo.

WR: V. Jackson, M. Austin, A. Johnson (D. Williams, D. Nelson, Bess, D. Thomas)
Flex: Gresham
TE: Graham (Dickson)
D/ST: Redskins
K: Gano

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 10:54 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 15126
Donate
oak.gif
delfam wrote:
I think you almost have to go RB/RB/, especially if it's a 12 team draft. By the time your 3rd/4th picks are in you'll be selecting from guys like FJAX/Bradshaw/Turner while receivers like Jennings/Marshall/White/Cruz are still left.

I'd much rather have those WR's then RB's so I feel at the turn you'd almost have to go like Forte/Richardson/Lynch/ or McFadden combo.
fjax,turner and bradshaw will be gone come the 3/4 elbow while steve smith,dez,jordie,coulston,austin and other will more then likely still be sitting at the 3/4 elbow,you have to grab at least 1 rb at the 1/2 elbow and hope someone falls or your rb2 is gonna be a tier 4 guy

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 11:24 
SandShark

Sand$: 147
Donate
pit.gif
I too am drafting at the 12 in a snake draft. However my situation is a bit different. I will be keeping D. Murray (and he only costs me a 14th round choice.) We are permitted to start 2 rb, 2 wr, and on te. But we also have one flex position that can come from any 3 of the listed (rb, wr, te). So would you do anything different if this was your situation? :-k

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 11:28 

Sand$: 101628
Donate
Well, if you're drafting now - Trent Richardson and Adrian Peterson. A lot of risk, but enormous reward potential. Forte and MJD would be plan B's. That said, most drafts aren't until August and the value of these guys will change one way or the other by then.

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 11:34 

Sand$: 101628
Donate
RoamingWilly wrote:
I too am drafting at the 12 in a snake draft. However my situation is a bit different. I will be keeping D. Murray (and he only costs me a 14th round choice.) We are permitted to start 2 rb, 2 wr, and on te. But we also have one flex position that can come from any 3 of the listed (rb, wr, te). So would you do anything different if this was your situation? :-k

With a flex position I still go with the 2 RB's. Unfortunately it eliminates potential values like Doug Martin from your plan, but the value just isn't there at other positions - especially WR since you only start 2 (fwiw I'd still go rb-rb if you started 3 wr). The other positions are deep, RB is not.

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 11:46 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 16019
Donate
Come up with an overall draft board. When your pick comes, take the two best players available. Rinse and repeat. You cannot go wrong with this strategy. If you go in thinking RB-RB or WR-WR and then Brees drops, you have to be flexible (assuming you want Brees.; its just an example).

Stafford
Hill, Latavius, Sims, Hyde, PT
Alshon, DePunk, Martavis, Wallace, Davante, Hogan, Moncrief, Latimer
Rivera
DET, KCC

Lost to INJ: Cruz, Cooks, McKinnon

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 19:55 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 10236
Donate
cle.gif
draft the very best available talent that will produce the most points in said position/for the year/ in comparison to other players in other fantasy weekly lineup positions for your league in accordance to your scoring rules. Then do it again with the 13th overall pick because you're up again.

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 21:57 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 22345
Donate
cle.gif
I'd rather have the elbow than any other slot outside of 1-3.

PostPosted: Tue 07.10.2012, 22:55 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1425
Donate
phi.gif
Fighting Amish wrote:
draft the very best available talent that will produce the most points in said position/for the year/ in comparison to other players in other fantasy weekly lineup positions for your league in accordance to your scoring rules. Then do it again with the 13th overall pick because you're up again.

Well played! =D>

qb: Culter, Cousins

rb: McCoy, Charles, E. Lacy, Vereen,Todman

wr: B Marsh, D.Thomas, D Jax, K.Allen,Crab

te: J. Thomas

k: Bailey

def: Det
., Phi