FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Wed 08.27.2014, 22:05

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Murray or Charles?
PostPosted: Sun 07.29.2012, 09:59 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3677
Donate
cle.gif
As I look at the projections for these two, they seem to be in similar situations: both coming off injury and will be involved in a time share to some extent. Neither has shown to be the main workhorse consistently, although the ability is there. Lastly, both are in situations where the running game is relied on. I normally would say avoid the knee (Charles) and take the ankle (Murray), but the ankle guy has a history of being hurt...

Post subject: Re: Murray or Charles?
PostPosted: Sun 07.29.2012, 10:17 
SandShark

Sand$: 156
Donate
mia.gif
Murray. Doesn't have to worry about losing goal line touches from another RB.

PostPosted: Sun 07.29.2012, 10:33 
Chum

Sand$: 82
Donate
murrays "history of getting hurt" is mostly small things. last year, he was fine all year; in training camp he had a hamstring issue, whcih doesnt matter to me too much as these arent uncommon in training camp or with fast players, and foster dealt with the same thing. the ankle injury was a freak occurrence and couldve happened to anybody. i mean they were holding onto his foot as a 300+ lb lineman fell on it, that would break most peoples ankles. otherwise, he did have a history of getting nicked up in college, but the important thing to look at is he played through injury and was effective, he only missed 4 or maybe (but no more than) 5 games his entire college career. thats not too bad. its been my personal opinion (and only an opinion) that the injury worry with murray may be some cause for concern, as is the case with many players, but is a little overblown.

charles, on the otherhand, suffered a much more severe injury in tearing his acl. hes got the fact that it happened in game 3 (2?) going for him, so hes had plenty of time to recover, but it remains to be seen how effective he'll be right out of the gates, as it can take a long time to be back to 100% of where you were prior to the injury. i also believe that charles will be sharing carries to an extent with hillis, as was the case 2 years ago when charles was great but split a lot of carries with thomas jones, whereas i think murray assumes more of an every does back who comes out for breathers when spelled by felix jones. charles does have a larger sample size though, and has shown that he can be counted on as a #1 fantasy rb for a season.

as im sure you can tell, personally, i lean towards murray. he can be a 3 down back with excellent receiving skills playing in an explosive offense. charles was awesome, and he surely could be awesome again. but hes coming off an acl, likely to split carries (60/40 charles? idk) with hillis, and playing in what is currently a much less high octane offense. give me murray.

PostPosted: Tue 07.31.2012, 13:52 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18277
Donate
sd.gif
I'll go Murray. Injury is much more recoverable in one offseason than an acl, and Hillis is in KC now. Demarco doesn't have much competition.

PostPosted: Tue 07.31.2012, 13:56 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 684
Donate
dal.gif
DeMarco.

To all you virgins, thanks for nothing.

There are three kinds of people in this world those who can count and those who can’t.

How is it that “fat chance” and “slim chance” mean the same thing?

PostPosted: Tue 07.31.2012, 20:09 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 14560
Donate
oak.gif
i'm going with charles

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 00:04 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13363
Donate
DeMarco.

And not just because he's mine.

I've been on record as being skeptical of the ACL brothers and their ADP.

Cutler, Russell
LeSean, Pierre, Lamar, West, Hill, Starks
Alshon, Cruz, Cordy, Wallace, Cooks, Streater, Douglas, Latimer, Richardson
Cameron
TBD

Keepers: Cordy, Cutler

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 01:52 
SandShark

Sand$: 158
Donate
nyg.gif
TheNataliePortmans wrote:
DeMarco.

And not just because he's mine.

I've been on record as being skeptical of the ACL brothers and their ADP.

x2

1. no ACL
2. less timeshare
3 more explosive offense
4. more GL carries

No contest

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 07:32 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 278
Donate
ne.gif
Good stuff here. I like Charles as he is the more experienced back and can do it all, but Hillis, esp. being reunited with his fomer OC scares me. They are saying 500 carries between the two of them, so a 50/50 split possibilty is a nightmare. I see Hillis getting more carries than Jones did. That being said, Murray only has Felix Jones, who will be regulated to a back up. The carries favor Murray, so in the end, he is my choice.

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 08:27 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 458
Donate
nyg.gif
I think they're neck and neck and won't probably make a final decision on them anytime soon.

I'm seeing a lot of Murray love in this thread though, and I won't knock him since the arguments against him are obvious, instead, I'll point this out...Charles has the higher ceiling of the two. If you grab Charles, and you're right, he could win you your league. Not only that, but forget his "timeshare" -- when Charles is right, he needs less than 20 touches and no goal line carries to be the best fantasy RB in football.

WR:Brown,Floyd,Wright,Wallace
TE:Olsen

10teamppr (not yet drafted)
QB:
RB:
WR:
TE:

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 11:16 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1537
Donate
Charles. MJD came off a knee injury and was as good as ever.

Gold line carries don't scare me with Hillis. Even in his best season it was like 80+ carries in the red zone and only converted 12 into TDs.

I'm going explosiveness along with receiving skills in Charles.

My Mainstays
D. Brees
J. Charles, E. Lacy,
J. Gordon, A. Brown, K. Allen
J. Cameron
Chiefs DEF
J. Tucker

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 11:30 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13363
Donate
ss3walkman wrote:
Charles. MJD came off a knee injury and was as good as ever.

Gold line carries don't scare me with Hillis. Even in his best season it was like 80+ carries in the red zone and only converted 12 into TDs.

I'm going explosiveness along with receiving skills in Charles.

Did MJD have ACL reconstruction?

To me, this is more about risk. DeMarco has receiving skills and proved last year he can be a 20-touch, 3-down RB.

People are discounting Hillis, but I think that's a mistake. Yeah, yeah, I know . . . Thomas Jones in 2010, blah blah blah.

Charles had a pristine ACL in 2010.

Cutler, Russell
LeSean, Pierre, Lamar, West, Hill, Starks
Alshon, Cruz, Cordy, Wallace, Cooks, Streater, Douglas, Latimer, Richardson
Cameron
TBD

Keepers: Cordy, Cutler

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 14:39 
Chum

Sand$: 82
Donate
Pad264 wrote:
I'll point this out...Charles has the higher ceiling of the two. If you grab Charles, and you're right, he could win you your league.

I disagree that charles has the higher ceiling. not that his ceiling isnt high, but i think demarcos ceiling could eaily match charles'. he had multiple 100 yd rushing games, multiple games with 6 receptions. if he can stay healthy (i know, if), he will be a 3 down back whos as big a threat in the run game as the receiving, and i also think he could win you your leaguie. health pending, i think demarco has the makings of a top 5 fantasy back. sure, charles can be too. just saying i dont agree that charles' ceiling is necessarily higher.

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 14:53 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37442
Donate
chi.gif
markboud wrote:
Good stuff here. I like Charles as he is the more experienced back and can do it all, but Hillis, esp. being reunited with his fomer OC scares me. They are saying 500 carries between the two of them, so a 50/50 split possibilty is a nightmare. I see Hillis getting more carries than Jones did. That being said, Murray only has Felix Jones, who will be regulated to a back up. The carries favor Murray, so in the end, he is my choice.

a 50/50 split isn't a concern.
If Charles returns with all the quickness and explosion he had in 2010, 250 carries makes him a top 10 back.

It's the possibility that he needs more time to heal completely and doesn't have the same burst and agility that makes him risky.

I'd lean slightly toward Murray, but it has nothing to do with Hillis.

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 15:04 

Sand$: 96011
Donate
Neither.

Murray's got more touch upside, but I don't trust him to stay healthy. He's like a faster MB3 - runs violently + upright and with little to no wiggle, so he's susceptible to more heavy collisions than most. It's why he was always banged up in college. He treated me well during his short midseason stint last year when I got him for nothing, but he can go nuts or get injured on another team this year. I maintain what I've said about him since pre draft last year that he's best utilized as a CoP back and think that will be the case in 2013, he's just going to be on the + side of the committee whereas I thought he'd be on the low side. Re Charles - AD is the exception to the rule (because he's a freak), but I don't like going after guys early in their first year off an ACL.