Apparently there has been a rumor that Callahan changed the Raiders entire game plan for the Super Bowl 2 days before the game. When asked about this Tim Brown said...
- * Yes, he did. They had planned all along to go with a smash mouth approach since their offensive line had 50 pounds per player on TBs defensive line. Plus, TB had the fastest defensive backs in the history of the NFL at the time.
* Just before Fridays 1 hour walk through, he told the team they were changing things up and would try to throw the ball 60 times. No practice before playing, just a 1 hr walkthrough. He said the whole team was pissed and begged him to change his mind, but he wouldnt.
* Brown said that Barrett Robbins (Center) was unbelievably upset and pleaded with the coach as he was the one who would have to make all the calls to the O-line and wasn't remotely prepared. Robbins had some depression issues to begin with, and after this practice disappeared until the night before the game and was therefore left off the game roster.
* Brown said he believes Callahan changed the game plan in order to purposely sabotage the Raiders SB.
* He said it was common knowledge that Callahan wanted to leave with Gruden, but Davis wouldn't let him leave, but promoted him to keep him happy. Callahan took the job but hated Davis.
* He said Callahan was so disliked, that on several occasions Brown would be standing in front of the coach in the meeting rooms, wrestling back players who were literally trying to fight Callahan right there in the meeting.
Pretty eye-opening stuff i've never heard before.
On a separate note, Brown talked about how he has always loved the University of Texas and planned to go there all along while he was visiting other schools. That is until Fred Akers (UT head coach) showed up at his school. Akers wouldnt shake his hand or even make eye contact. Apparently he just kicked his feet up on Brown's coach's desk and said "We know you're an inner city guy and you don't have money to travel so you're making these trips, but let's not kid ourselves - you're coming to Texas".
Brown said "Sorry coach, i have to go back to class" and left. He said he was broken hearted, but never thought about attending UT again after that meeting. Future Heisman winner. Well done Akers.