FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 08.23.2014, 10:20

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 11:14 
Honorary Mod (powerless)

Sand$: 22
Donate
det.gif
So the local sports radio station here in Dallas (The Ticket) had one of their yearly events this past week. As part of this event, they had Tim Brown in for a live interview on stage.

Apparently there has been a rumor that Callahan changed the Raiders entire game plan for the Super Bowl 2 days before the game. When asked about this Tim Brown said...

* Yes, he did. They had planned all along to go with a smash mouth approach since their offensive line had 50 pounds per player on TBs defensive line. Plus, TB had the fastest defensive backs in the history of the NFL at the time.

* Just before Fridays 1 hour walk through, he told the team they were changing things up and would try to throw the ball 60 times. No practice before playing, just a 1 hr walkthrough. He said the whole team was pissed and begged him to change his mind, but he wouldnt.

* Brown said that Barrett Robbins (Center) was unbelievably upset and pleaded with the coach as he was the one who would have to make all the calls to the O-line and wasn't remotely prepared. Robbins had some depression issues to begin with, and after this practice disappeared until the night before the game and was therefore left off the game roster.

* Brown said he believes Callahan changed the game plan in order to purposely sabotage the Raiders SB.

* He said it was common knowledge that Callahan wanted to leave with Gruden, but Davis wouldn't let him leave, but promoted him to keep him happy. Callahan took the job but hated Davis.

* He said Callahan was so disliked, that on several occasions Brown would be standing in front of the coach in the meeting rooms, wrestling back players who were literally trying to fight Callahan right there in the meeting.

Pretty eye-opening stuff i've never heard before.

On a separate note, Brown talked about how he has always loved the University of Texas and planned to go there all along while he was visiting other schools. That is until Fred Akers (UT head coach) showed up at his school. Akers wouldnt shake his hand or even make eye contact. Apparently he just kicked his feet up on Brown's coach's desk and said "We know you're an inner city guy and you don't have money to travel so you're making these trips, but let's not kid ourselves - you're coming to Texas".

Brown said "Sorry coach, i have to go back to class" and left. He said he was broken hearted, but never thought about attending UT again after that meeting. Future Heisman winner. Well done Akers. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 11:49 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 8482
Donate
oak.gif
A. :shock: :shock: :shock: if true (though not really, given that the name 'Al Davis' is part of the story)

2. Am curious if someone besides Brown can corroborate this story.

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 11:59 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 32230
Donate
oak.gif
If Tim Brown said it, I believe it. We arent talking about some wackjob here.....

2010 & 2011 The Premier League Champion
2012 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 12:02 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 8482
Donate
oak.gif
SJSwarm wrote:
If Tim Brown said it, I believe it. We arent talking about some wackjob here.....

agreed but when the rumor is akin to an NFL Black Sox Scandal of 'Coach intentionally Tanked the Super Bowl', I need more than just the testimony...damn-near a decade later...of a former player.

It sure matches up with the craptacular game plan idiot Callahan rolled out there.

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 12:26 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 4659
Donate
Blzbba wrote:
It sure matches up with the craptacular game plan idiot Callahan rolled out there.

No doubt. Further explains everything I saw.

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 13:06 

Sand$: 47449
Donate
nyj.gif
Brown has been lobbying these allegations for 6 or 7 years now, so this is nothing new.

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 13:07 
Honorary Mod (powerless)

Sand$: 22
Donate
det.gif
endzoneview wrote:
Brown has been lobbying these allegations for 6 or 7 years now, so this is nothing new to me.

FTFY

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 14:41 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1070
Donate
oak.gif
I'll never forget John Lynch screaming to Gruden: "They are running the same exact plays we practiced against!" or something to that effect.

Gruden 1

Davis 0

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 15:10 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 53559
Donate
I believe every word of it.

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 15:20 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 292392
Donate
nyj.gif
Ive never heard this before and find it shocking. And kinda hard to believe. How was this not more publicized after the game? Or even in the next few years. And even now, all we have is Brown's allegations?

Plus, all Brown is actually saying is that it is a fact that the game plan was changed (I can believe that but who knows). He is then adding his own theory about why it was changed.

Lastly, why would Callahan do this. No matter how pissed you are, you have a chance to coach your team to a SB win and instead decide to change to a bad game plan which will only reflect poorly on you? Sounds ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 15:29 

Sand$: 47449
Donate
nyj.gif
Brown first brought this up in 2004 after the Raiders fired Callahan. Brown was pissed because A - Callahan replaced him with Porter, B - Callahan convinced Al Davis to let Tim Brown walk in 2003 and C - Tim Brown only had 1 catch in the Super Bowl.

If memory serves, Rich Gannon was having a really great season and the Raiders were a top 5 passing attack and had Tyrone Wheatley and Garner at RB and were probably in the middle of the league in rushing.

Losing your starting center two days before the Super Bowl probably would have quite a big impact on any team, just a guess.

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 17:50 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 39376
Donate
pit.gif
This is ridiculous.

Correction, beyond ridiculous.

TE: Teams, Listed
Kicker: In
Def: Them

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 17:57 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 39376
Donate
pit.gif
endzoneview wrote:
Brown first brought this up in 2004 after the Raiders fired Callahan. Brown was pissed because A - Callahan replaced him with Porter, B - Callahan convinced Al Davis to let Tim Brown walk in 2003 and C - Tim Brown only had 1 catch in the Super Bowl.

If memory serves, Rich Gannon was having a really great season and the Raiders were a top 5 passing attack and had Tyrone Wheatley and Garner at RB and were probably in the middle of the league in rushing.

Losing your starting center two days before the Super Bowl probably would have quite a big impact on any team, just a guess.

Add to that that i have heard multple interveiws from ex raider players that the change in game plan was a usaul thing as per Al Davis.

TE: Teams, Listed
Kicker: In
Def: Them

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 18:25 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 46
Donate
dal.gif
I too find it hard to fathom a coach would throw the Super Bowl..way too much reward for that..no one is that crazy..not even Callahan..could he have over thought the situation and made mistakes in the game plan? I buy that..could Skelator come out of his coffin and make Callahan change the plan..probably true again but Callhan to throw it just to get back at Davis..I just don't see it..

PostPosted: Mon 02.28.2011, 19:04 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 9054
Donate
cle.gif
SonOfDad wrote:
Blzbba wrote:

No doubt. Further explains everything I saw.

Exactly! It actually makes very good sense. They did have a lousy effort and nothing they did seemed to work very well. Barrett Robbins going out like he did was a universally understood bad event for the Raiders..this is the first time I've heard why though..but it makes perfect sense.